• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 323 Views, 2 Comments

The Chronicles Of Flare: Mirror Of Eden - Vetnern



The story of how Flare came to be born in Equestria.

  • ...
 2
 323

Chapter 3

“Hey, watch where you’re going!”

“Sorry!” squeaked the small green filly as she ran through the streets of Canterlot

It was a particularly sunny day in Equestria, but this particular day was very special for young Flare. Today was one of the rare occasions in which Princess Celestia called upon one of her students to journey with her to a secret location. Now this young pony feeling as confident as she was, decided to put her name forward for the journey.

She rushed through the entrance gates of Canterlot Castle and right past the fountains. The smell of freshly grown roses tingled her senses as she climbed the steps toward the entrance. Her dash suddenly came to a halt as the guards protecting the castle locked up their spears and stared down upon the young filly.

“What business do you have here?” boomed the guard.

“I’m a student of Princess Celestia and have been called here to attend a service thingy,” she said, stumbling as she attempted to pull off a royal salute to the guards.

They lowered their spears and opened the doors to the central hall of the castle, where four other students of the Princess stood waiting. Flare walked through the hallway toward the group, gazing merrily at all of the Princess’s most loyal students who scattered the walls of the hall. She joined the group of ponies who had been waiting for Celestia’s arrival.

“Aren’t you a little too young to be here, Flare?” asked one of the students who had been watching her closely the moment she entered the castle.

This pony stood taller than the other ponies who were in the room. She had a light brown coat and a peachy-blue tinted mane. Her name was Vasco and she was Flare’s older sister.

“I really want to do this,” said Flare, her sister groaned and rolled her eyes.

They all drew their attention to the end of the hall as the doors to next room slowly swung open, Celestia stepped through and summoned her students to follow her to the main chamber. Flare took a quick breath and proceeded through the doors first, shortly followed by her sister and the remaining three students.

“I take it you know why I have asked to see you all of you today?” said Celestia.

“You’re going to choose one of us to accompany you to a special location,” squeaked Flare, blushing when she noticed everyone staring at her.

“That is correct, Flare. I’ve heard a lot about you from the stories your sister keeps telling me,” said Celestia with a smile. “However, on this occasion I wish for Vasco to join me in my travels. She has proved to me her dedication and loyalty ever since she started her studies with me, I hope all of you some day can become just as loyal as her.”

Flare lowered her head in despair, for she wished to be the one to be at Celestia’s side when she was needed most. Vasco placed her arm around her sister to try and comfort her.

“I shall see you bright and early tomorrow, Vasco. My duties are needed elsewhere for the time being so you are all dismissed until I return. I hope you keep up your studies, I’m looking forward to seeing the progress you all make,” said Celestia, nodding to all of her students and proceeded towards her personal chambers.

“Let’s go home little sister, I’ll make your favorite pancakes to cheer you up,” whispered Vasco.

“Sound’s amazing,” said Flare, wiping a tear from her eye.

* * *

Flare sat at a table directly opposite her sister, slowly picking away at her pancakes. She had been thinking about what it would be like to be with Princess Celestia when she travelled to her special locations.

“Is there something on your mind, little sis?” asked Vasco, covering her mouth while she ate.

“I just really wanted to go with the Princess this time,” sighed Flare.

“You’re much too young to be a part of something like that, maybe things will change when you get a little older,” said Vasco.

A short moment of silence occurred between the two as they continued to eat, the sound of the grandfather clock from the hallway echoed through the house. Flare shook her head and climbed off her chair, she left the kitchen and headed straight to bed. The door opened and her sister entered the room, placing herself by the end of her bed. She stroked Flare’s hair and gave her a kiss goodnight.

“You know, your father would have been proud of you” she said, closing the door gently behind herself.

* * *

Flare awoke in the morning, stretching her limbs out and yawning. The early morning sun slowly creeping through her window. She climbed out her bed and packed her things for school, making sure to check through her homework to see if she hadn’t missed anything important.

“Vasco?” she called out to her sister as she entered the kitchen.

To her dismay there was no reply from her sister, she placed her saddlebag on the table and saw a letter attached to the noteboard.

To my dearest Sister,

I would have made you breakfast this morning, but Princess Celestia came for me in the middle of the night. So by the time you read this I will already have started my travels with her. I hope you study hard and look forward to seeing you when I return.

Missing you already,

Vasco.

Flare took the note and placed it in her bag to read over until her sister returned, she grabbed an apple from the bowl on the table and headed off towards her school.

There were quite a few clouds in the sky today but no rain had been forecast for a few days, she arrived at her school without a moments hesitation and proceeded to the main entrance. As she placed her hoof on the door, the sky turned red. She looked in the direction of Canterlot and saw a magic ball of light shoot up into the air and light up the sky.

The noise of a siren filled the air as panic erupted across all of Ponyville, rumors quickly spread around that Princess Celestia had been killed, but no confirmation had been given. Flare noticed a group of guards approaching her, which made her frightened and insecure.

“Princess Luna has requested you see her at Canterlot Castle immediately,” said the guard in the middle of the group.

“What’s going on, has something happened to my sister?” she cried.

“I’m sorry, but you really must come with us,” interrupted the guard.

The siren grew louder and louder as Flare was escorted to the castle, the only thing she had on her mind was whether or not her sister was going to come back.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long, I wasn't really focused on this story at all.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment