• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 4,296 Views, 67 Comments

Dreaming of the Moon - BeardedRedMane



Anon, a practitioner of Lucid Dreaming one day finds himself in a peculiar dream. One that he cannot seem to wake up from.

  • ...
14
 67
 4,296

Chapter 1 The Everlasting Dream (Revised)

Hey! Names' Anon. I'm Twenty yea-- wait.

Fuck I'm Twenty one, aren't I? Sorry about that, I lost an entire fuckin' years' worth of memories a while back, bear with me. Though it really isn't all as bad as it sounds, I'd like to think that I obtained something in return; sort of like Equivalent Exchange. Yes I'm a nerd, yes I like anime, get off me. Anyway call it a 'drive' if you will… or force? It's a little complicated, sort of like I just can't sit still anymore. I get this anxious feeling every now and then, like there's something really important that I need to do…

Damn it all, it makes my head hurt when I try to figure out what that something is. Anyway, I found that hitting the gym dulls that feeling a bit. Although it always comes back at night, especially on nights with a full moon. Heh, what am I a damn werewolf? But like I said, complicated… and weird. I mean from my current memory I was never really one to work out, nor did I ever really need it. I'm one of those douchebags that naturally has a six pack without working out, also I have a high metabolism. Either way though, I may not have needed to work out then but man! Do I look like a chiseled beast now! So yeah life is going pretty good for me at the moment, that whole, 'Springtime of Youth' phase.

Too bad it's about to be cut short.

One second you're owning it up in your own personal reality aka lucid dream and the next moment you're bleeding out on a really nice wooden floor. Right, getting ahead of myself again guess I'd better start at the beginning. I had just managed to pull off entering a lucid dream from a waking state…

• • •

"So… Let me get this straight. You're a talking... purple unicorn pony thing?" Anon declared as they floated in a black void

"Yes!" she quickly replied with a hint of annoyance, standing on her-- Wow… ponies shouldn't be able to stand up on their two back legs and raise their two front legs in emphasis that way. Moreover her eyes are too big, I've been watching too much anime again…

"And your entire race of peo-- ponies is in danger?"

"As we speak!" she stomped her hoof down that made an adorable little clopping sound. "Currently Ponyville-- neigh! All of Equestria is in peril." Oh God, did she just whinny? I think my heart stopped for a second. "The Everlasting Dream has thrown everypony into an unending nightmare--"

"Except for you?"

"Yes, by chance I was able to detect it's presence before it befell us. Taking the necessary precautions I cast a defensive spell around my home and began research in my library. We don't have much time, my defensive spell is waning as the number of ponies under its influence grows. Soon all of Equestria will be trapped in an unending nightmare!"

A world in peril, its inhabitant's greatest heroes useless against the oncoming terror! Their only hope; a legendary hero from another realm to combat the darkness! Anon the--… Yeah I just can't get hyped over this. The plot is cliché, the inhabitants are something out a nine year old girls imagination, where did it all go wrong Anon? Whatever, still not the craziest dream I've had. All blame goes to 4chan. "Well what're we waiting for little pony? Let's go."

"Twilight. Twilight Sparkle" she responds with a hint of anger, "And if we're going to take on this dream we're going to need all the help we can get." Twilights' horn sparks to life in a blindingly bright flash of magenta as they fade out of one plane and into another.

"That was… abrupt." Anon muttered as he blinked the after image from his eyes. "Whoa…" instead of floating in a void they now stood in an infinitely long hallway with an innumerable amount of doors lining the way left and right. Fuckin' dream logic, place looks like it goes on for forever…Each door seemed to have a plaque for a room number but upon closer inspection found they were names instead. "Rainbow.. Dash huh?" Anon muttered before turning toward Twilight who seemed to be either lost in thought or shock. "So, what are we looking for again?"

"Behind each one of these doors must be somepony trapped within their nightmare… Unfortunately we don't have the time to free them all one by one. No, the best course of action would be to gather the Elements of Harmony and aid you conquering this nightmare."

"Elements of Harmony?"

"The Six Elements of Friendship?" Anon raised an eyebrow, Gay. Twilight's jaw dropped before she put on her best 'pls n00b r u shitting me?' face and explained. "Me and my friends represent the Six Elements of Harmony;

Applejack is Honesty, Fluttershy Kindness, Pinkie Pie Laughter, Rarity Generosity, Rainbow Dash Loyalty and I am magic. When combined the elements become a force of great power that is able to restore Harmony to anything it interacts with."

"Right." Anon deadpanned. That is the last time I decide to have five chocolate bars as dinner, he thought before turning toward a door.

"Now the only hard part is how we're going to find them… A locator spell? I could use the basi-- Hey, where are you going?"

"Rainbow Dash is in here."

"What? That's amazing! You have some sort of long range telekinetic power or--"

"Nameplate on the door."

"Oh.." Twilights' ears flatted against her head as she and Anon walked into the room.

• • •

Rainbow Dash really, REALLY hated the hospital but it seemed that she spent a significant amount of her time in them. Not that she was cursed with a sickly body or anything, but because she always enjoyed the thrill of testing out new tricks that more often than she liked to admit, failed. Huh… must have been one really dangerous trick… I don't even remember how I got in here.

Rainbow Dash was brought from her musings by the sound of a stallion clearing his throat, she tried to move her body to face him but only her head seemed to move and with effort at that. "Ms. Dash?"

"Yeah that’s me, Fastest Flier in Equestria!" Dash boasted with a smile, "Now how about you tell me the damage; three, four days max and I'll be good to go?"

The stallion bit his lower lip before averting his gaze to the floor. A few moments passed and Dash was about to try again before the doctor let out a low sigh. "There was an accident.. and we did the best we could but.." The doctor paused before finally gaining the courage to look Dash in the eyes. "You broke your back and severed numerous nerve receptors on your spine resulting in complete paralysis from the neck down."

Sound faded from her ears only to be replaced with the deafening roar of silence as she tried to comprehend what was just suggested. "I… I.. but-- What did you just say?" Dash's normal bravado failed as her voice cracked at the end.

"I'm sorry, it looks like you've damaged your spine beyond repair. Even with magic assisting the healing process and intense rehabilitation it would be a miracle for you to walk without help again. Let alone fly."

……
……………..
………………………..

"Did you not hear me, Ms. Dash? I said that you will never fly again." the doctor said with a mocking smile that would have gone noticed if she hadn't just entered shock. "You will never be able to lead a normal life, even the simplest and most basic of bodily functions will require aid from a professional. You will forever be dependent on a caretaker."

"No… you're wrong… I was just flying--- yesterday! You'll see.. You'll all see! Just a few days rest and I'll be right as rain-- and I can move! I can move just.. fine?" but try as she might she couldn't budge a muscle. Moving her neck alone seemed to drain her of all her energy. Her wings-- or what was left of them lied limp and bandaged at her sides.

I'll never fly again…
Join the Wonder Bolts?
I can't even fly up to my house.
Can't even walk…

As the futility of everything came crashing down on her the final insult was given as she couldn't even turn away to cry. Her coat darkened and the colors of her mane dulled as she did the only thing she could do; weep for her shattered dreams. She vaguely registered the sound of a door opening but couldn't bring herself to either look or care.

"Rainbow Dash, I'm so glad we found you!" a voice exclaimed it neared her. "Quick, we have to get out of here, Ponyville is in danger we need your help!"

"Twi…light? I…no…." came but a whisper, "I can't help you."

"Alright, let's go." Twilight turned toward the door We've still got to find the others and if we--wait, what?" Twilight stopped in her tracks and whirled around to face Dash, "What do you mean no? If we don't act now all of Equestria could be doomed!"

For the first time since Twilight entered the room Dash lifted up her face up to look at her, her eyes empty. "I can't help you… I can't even move my hooves, let alone fly. I'm broken… Just… just leave me alone." Dash sighed painfully as she turned her head away staining the blankets with tears. "please, just leave me alone."

"Dash.. I--"

"So… this is that Rainbow-- what's-her-name?" Anon interrupted as he walked toward Dash, "Element of Loyalty or something like that, right?" bending down he grabbed Dash by the jaw and slowly brought her face to his.

"Hey, let me go--WHOA! Who--What the buck are you?" Dash cursed as her eyes widened in confusion and fear.

"Who am I? Who are you? Element of Loyalty?" Anon questioned before craning his neck back toward a shocked Twilight, his face showing uncertainty. "Hey Magenta, you sure we got the right person? Cause," Anon turned his head back to lock eyes with Dash, loathing in his eyes. "If this is what passes as loyalty in your world-- hell, if this is what passes for friendship then I must say; there really isn't much worth saving in your world."

"WHAT? How dare you?! My wings DON'T WORK!" Dash began with rage before her voice died out to almost a whisper, "I'm… broken.. A Pegasus who can't even fly… Who could possibly ever need my help?"

"Huh… So that's how far your Loyalty goes then? Go ahead, give up. Just stay in this room for the rest of your life, bawling your eyes out like a baby. But y'know what? If it were me, what I would do? Even if every god damn bone in my body was pulverized, you'd better believe I'd be crawling my way on my fucking face. Your friends don't need your help?" Anon gestured toward Twilight, "She came here because she needed it right?"

"But… what could I possibly offer?" Dash said with uncertainty, but a bit of her color began to return, "What am I supposed to do?"

"Stand by her side! Isn't that what friends are for?" Anon let go of her face yet kept his eyes locked onto Dash's as her coat finally regained its former luster and her mane it's prismatic sheen.

"I.. I don't need you telling me that!!" Dash shouted as she tore the covers from her body, leaping into the air and extending her wings to the fullest. "I'm Rainbow Dash! And I'll Never turn my back on a friend in need!" Crossing her forehooves Dash glared down upon Anon as she puffed her chest out.

"Well look at that, you've got two perfectly good wings right there." Anon casually says as he smiles back at the fully recovered Rainbow Dash.

"I…I do!" Stunned, Dash glances back over her wings before turning her glare at the doctor who during her depression had tripled in height yet now he was no larger than a filly, his face contorted in rage. The room slowly begins to ripple as the stallion lets out a high pitched squeal and seconds later the entire room shatters leaving the trio standing in the hallway they were in before.

"Let's get out of here Twilight, we've got some friends to save!" Dash stated as she touched back down to the ground. "Actually… where are we?"

…..
……..

"Equestria to Twilight, anypony home?"

"Oh-- Right. We're inside of a dream--nightmare really." Twilight stammered. Amazing, his power is amazing! In just a few words he broke Rainbow Dash out of her own nightmare… But.. This situation is more dire than I initially predicted, nopony realizes that they are trapped in a dream and it seems to have some hold or impact on them… But it's not like they could die in here.. It's just a dream, right? Clearing her mind of her worries Twilight shook her head before she began again, "We've got to find the others and free them from their nightmares."

"…and what is that?" Dash thrust a hoof in Anons' direction."

"That is…"

"Anon." Anon states.

"Anon, he's a legendary spiritual being from the dream realm that I summoned; he seems to hold power in this place and can help us defeat this nightmare."

Anon blinked, What am I? A fucking Pokemon? "Pretty sure I'm just an ordinary Human, but whatever floats your boat.

"Pfft, so this huumon is supposed to save us? Doesn't look that tough to me… Bet he's real slow, with only having two legs to run on." Dash commented as she sized Anon up.

"Say's the girly looking Pegasus, moreover, who was just bawling their eyes out? Oh God! My wings! Their broken! I'm useless, woe is m--Gah!" Dash throws a marvelous jab that Anon would have praised had it not been dished out toward his gut and hurt like a bitch. Fuuuuck.. Did my dog just step on me? At least my brain translated it into something instead of waking me up. I kinda want to see the end of this dream. Anon rubbed his stomach before lightly punching Dash back.

"Alright, no time for talking, we've got to hurry." Twilight stated as her horn began to illuminate with magic, "Since my last spell put us close to Dash's door I think I'll be able to get us closer to our next friend, maybe even directly into their dream." We may have managed to free Dash easily… But what of the others? I really hope their alright, Twilight prayed, unable to shake off a feeling of dread.

• • •

Applejack always knew she couldn't replace them. Sooner or later a time would come when the question would pop up. Gotta have a plan, gotta be prepared. She would break it down, tell her the truth. How it happened… Why it happened. That even though they weren't here they were still watching over them.

"Why did ma and pa have'ta die?"

There were no plans.
No thoughts.
No words that she could muster.

"Why'd they have'ta die an leave me alone? Why'd ya let them die?" Applebloom questioned, her ears drooped down in confusion and sadness.

"Wha… but-- Why who in tarnation told ya that?" Firm, that's how Applejack had meant for that statement to sound but instead it was barely a whisper. It wasn't your fault. You were just a filly with a stupid dream… It was just the wrong place and the wrong time… They told you-- said it wasn---

"Everypony." Applebloom uttered, blowing away the reasons Applejack had been building up, "Big Mac, Granny Smith. Everypony."

……
……..
…………

No… Big Mac? Even Granny Smith? But.. they said… They assured me… Said it wasn't mah fault. I.. I just wanted to see the big city.

"Big Mac said that if'n you weren't born that they'd still be here. That ah'd been able to meet em… That ah'd have a ma and pa." Applebloom said mockingly, her tone however was lost on Applejack as the color rapidly begins to fade from her. It was mah fault… Had ah not ran away… had ah not wanted to live the big city life… Ah.. killed em… Ah took my sisters parents from her…

A hoof is placed on Applejacks shoulder that brings her out of her self-hatred, turning toward the hoof she looks for anypony to tell her it wasn't her fault. An escape from the feelings welling up inside of her.

None is given.

Standing there with burning hate in his eyes was Big Mac.

"Ah told you. Told you not ta go, warned ya." he spat, his face contorted in rage. "But no, ya had to go, had to live the big life. How was it sis? Was it worth it? Was it all that you wanted it to be?" Letting go of her shoulder Big Mac reaches for the yoke around his neck. To take off what he had been hiding. What he hid for her. What she did to him. As the yoke dropped from his neck so did blood spill from a large gash at his neck. It never healed? No…

No more…

It's too much…

"You brought this on yourself, Applejack! Repent!" roared Big Mac

"Give them back... Give back my ma and pa!" cried Applebloom.

A low creaking started to Applejacks left, a comforting sound that she had always known. The sound of her Granny Smith rocking in her chair as she stared out over the farm. "Ya know what the most painful thing in the world is Applejack?" Granny Smith questioned as she slowly stopped her rocker and looked down at her hooves. "Burying the child you gave birth to…"

Applejack just wanted it all to stop, to run away but no escape was given so instead she just fell back onto her haunches and cried. She cried for the parents Applebloom would never know. For her brother who forever would bear a visible reminder of her mistake. For her grandmother, who not only had to bury her children but had to raise the one responsible for it. How could I ever repent? earn even a fraction of forgiveness?"

"You know what ya have to do, you've known it all along." Applebloom said in a sing song voice.

"You know what you have to do. You've always known." Big Mac spat as he tossed a rope in front of Applejack.

That's right… ah already knew… A've always known… Picking up the rope Applejack slowly made her way toward the barn.

• • •

"A farm huh..? Sure are… a lot of Appletree's. They're kinda small looking though." Anon commented as he surveyed the landscape.

"It's… Sw..sweet apple acres.. this has got to be.. AJ's dream.." Twilight panted as sweat pooled on her brow. Twilight was used to teleporting herself and other ponies and was at a loss as to why she felt so winded. Perhaps it has something to do with Anon… I'll have to compile a theory later and hope he stays around for enough tests to be done. After recovering her breath she continued, "Let's hurry, I have a bad feeling about this."

"Already on it!" Dash saluted before she sped off in the direction of the farm leaving behind a visible light trail behind her.

What the Fu--dream logic. "She got a jet mounted in her wing or something?"

"A what?" Twilight questioned.

"Never mind." Quickly the pair made their way toward the barn, albeit it was a snail's pace when compared to the speeding bullet that is Rainbow Dash.


"Dash? Did you find Applejack?" Twilight called out when they neared the barn and suspiciously eyed the closed barn door.

Anon however had no such reserves as he kicked the door to the barn open. Seriously? Who closes a barn door? I mean doesn't that saying come fr-- A blur of pink fills Anon's vision before barreling into his chest with enough force to knock him up and off his feet sending him tumbling past Twilight.

"OH WOW! I'm so happy that ponies started showing up! I mean not like they wouldn't, I made sure to tell everypony, well maybe not exactly tell but I left notes though. Its like, where is everypony today? But hey, I'm not sad or anything, even if everypony is a bit late I'm sure they all just got lost. I should have put up more signs, OH and maybe even a big balloon and--- Hey! Who are you anyway? You're new aren't you? Cause I know everypony and I've never seen anypony like you. We're going to have so much fun and I'm going to throw you a welcoming party! There will be balloons, cakes, apples, and all of my friends I'll--

What the actual fuck? Anon's mind raced as he cringed from the impact. He'd have been more angry if he wasn't confused and in pain; one second he's standing in front of a barn door and the next he's catching a pink rocket to the chest. And to make matters worse she won't shut up…

"Pinkie Pie..? What are you doing here?" Twilight stepped up toward Pinkie with a look of confusion, "This is Sweet Apple Acres so logically it should be Applejacks dream.. Moreover what happened to Rainb--"

"TWILIGHT!" Pinkie exclaimed as she dislodged herself from Anon's ribcage. Anon had just enough time to look up and see her collide with Twilight. Pretty sure I know what happened to Dash… "Why throwing a barn party of course! And what better place than inside an actual barn? We'll have square dancing and drinks and balloons and cake and fun and OH! Have you met the new pony? He looks a little weird but let's throw a party for him too!!"

"…not a pony." Anon comments as he begins to pick himself up, poor Dash, probably got nailed while she was speeding at mach three. Hope she landed softly…

In an instant Pinkie was upon Anon again assaulting him with Pinkiness, "Wow what are you then? And how come you walk on two hooves. What's your name? I'm Pinkie Pie, I'm going to give you a full tour of Ponyville! Have you met Rainbow Dash yet? She's so funny, look at her sleeping in that tree. Oooo your hooves, I can do that too!" She begins to blow on her left hoof.

"Anon…" he winced as he looked in the direction of Dash, "Huh… so that's where Rainbow land-- What the fu--How are you doing that with your hooves?"

"Pinkie, listen. I told you, this is all a dream, you're asleep. We're all asleep." Twilight weakly added as she picked herself up a bit faster than Anon did.

"That's just silly, we can't be asleep, we're right here now awake, Hello Twilight! This is a barn party, not a sleep over."

"No Pinkie, this is a nightmare. There was a reason nopony showed up to your party. This is a nightmare. We've got to free the others."

…..

That pink one doesn't look too bright… Anon observed before turning his attention toward Rainbow Dash. "Damn…" She had fallen out of the tree that she was entangled in when he was distracted by Pinkie. Gotta hand it to her though, she's walking it off like a champ! Dash shook her mane a few times before trotting up toward the group. That or she's just used to crashing… Hah! Rainbow Crash! Going to have to remember that one for later. Genius Anon, Genius.

"And that's the current situation, we have to hurry up and find the others." Twilight finished as Pinkie just stared at her for a second. Twilight sighed and was about to further explain herself before the world suddenly shattered around them.

"Well why didn't you say so in the first place? Let's go!" Pinkie happily exclaimed as she bounced past Twilight.

Odd.. She's skip-bouncing… And poor Twilight, she looks so defeated. Guess Pinkie just does things at her own pace.

"Alright, everypony gather up." Twilight ordered as her horn started glowing, "Here we go, be ready for anything."

Author's Note:

3/5/2014
I'm a terrible writer who doesn't proof read his own work @_@

Also I added more fluff and depth, this chapter jumped a whole 1k words.