• Published 18th Mar 2013
  • 15,384 Views, 466 Comments

Princess Sparkle's School for Eccentric Unicorns - ColtClassic



After completing Starswirl's spell, Twilight decides to create a research team to discover new magic for the benefit of Equestria. However, her unorthodox recruiting process leaves her with an eclectic and somewhat dysfunctional group of unicorn

  • ...
37
 466
 15,384

Forest III

Lyra's heart raced as she followed Twilight Sparkle out into the night. She didn't think she could ever be truly comfortable in the forest at night, but over the past two weeks she had gotten somewhat used to the gloomy silence that came over the forest when the sun went down. But the forest was not quiet tonight, and she felt terror rise up in her at the thought of what might be out there. She couldn't see clearly into the trees, but she could swear she saw dark forms moving beyond the edge of the clearing. The air was filled with the incessant howls, roars and squawks of birds and animals, all of it echoing weirdly, which made it impossible to tell how far away their origins were. The four ponies and one zebra kept close as they edged their way farther from the light of the hut, Twilight leading the way, her wings flared out wide.

“What's going on, Zecora?” asked Twilight, scanning the treeline nervously.

Zecora shook her head. “With the forest creatures, I have always lived in peace; their behavior now puts me ill at ease. I do not know what makes them act so; if we venture out far, careful we should go.”

“Do you think it has something to do with Trixie and the amulet? I mean, it can't be a coincidence, right?”

“If so, then we must find her fast; alone in the woods, she will not last.”

Twilight and Zecora stood between Lyra and the treeline, their voices rapid and their gazes steadily sweeping the clearing around them. Lyra didn't know how they were able to keep so calm; it was all she could do to keep her breaths even, and she found herself jumping at every noise.

“I can't believe she managed a teleportation spell,” said Twilight. “Where did you bury the Amulet, Zecora? Do you think that she'll be able to find it?”

“The grove where it's buried is hidden well, but Trixie is entranced by the Amulet's spell.”

“So she's probably headed there, if she's not there already. The question is whether she'll try to destroy it, or if she'll fall under its influence again and put it on. Either way, we have to stop her. Lead the way, Zecora.”

The group began to move forward, but they were stopped in their tracks almost immediately when a dark form emerged from the trees. As it stepped into the moonlight, Lyra began to make out its strange form. It was like a dog, or wolf, but massive and oddly shaped. As it came closer, walking slowly but deliberately, Lyra realized that its entire body was made of branches and leaves, held together by some unknown magic. If it wasn't so frightening, it might have inspired a sense of awe in her. Although it walked so lightly that its steps made no sound, its body creaked eerily as it moved, and glowing yellow eyes glared at them malevolently across its broad muzzle.

“Timber wolf,” breathed Twilight.

With a snarl, the creature broke its slow gait and began to bound across the clearing straight at them. Every muscle in Lyra's body froze up as the beast closed the distance, teeth bared and a foul, earthy stench pouring from its mouth. All rational thought fled her mind, and she was left with only terror.

Twilight was not so paralyzed. As the wolf came close, she dug her hooves into the dirt and pointed her horn forward. A beam of bright violet light shot out, momentarily making the whole clearing bright as day. It hit the creature right between the eyes, and with a sound of rushing air, its whole body came undone. Branches and sticks fell to the ground with a clatter, some of them still moving forward and landing at their hooves. From the corner of her eye, Lyra saw Vinyl recoil from them like they were snakes, but all she could do was stare in shock at the leafy branch that lay on the ground beneath her.

“It'll come back to life if we don't do anything.” Twilight's voice was steady, but she was still watching the woods with a tense and nervous look. “Zecora, is there anything you know that will keep it down?”

The zebra nodded, and she began to make gestures with her front hooves over the creature's remains, chanting in a low voice. Twilight turned back to the three unicorns.

“Where there's one timber wolf, there's more, so keep on the lookout. If you think you can copy the energy spell I just used, that should be the easiest way to knock them out. Otherwise, you can try levitating a heavy object and throwing it, or—Vinyl, where are you going?!”

Lyra turned her head in alarm to see Vinyl bolting away from the group. Before she knew what she was doing, Lyra was on her hooves and galloping after her. She called out her friend's name, but the white unicorn only ran faster. Soon they were among the trees, and Lyra struggled to keep up with the other pony in the darkness. Roots and branches seemed to reach out, threatening to trip her up. For all she knew, they really were moving; she raced by too quickly to see, and could hear nothing beyond the pounding of her hooves and her heart. She tried to cast a spell to light her way, but could barely concentrate on keeping herself moving.

In an instant, she lost sight of the other pony. One second Vinyl had been running ahead of her, and then next she was gone. Lyra skidded to a halt, looking around in panic. For a second she thought she had merely lost track of Vinyl, until she heard a scream from above.

Help! Somepony! Anypony!

In the darkness above her, something was moving about, rustling and shaking the branches of the trees. Lyra finally managed to cast a spell, and her horn lit up brightly. She looked up, and gasped in horror at what she saw.

Her impression that the plants of the forest were acting against them was not, in fact, her imagination. Vinyl's form hung in the branches above her head, ensnared in vines that moved with a will of their own. The snaking vines were quickly wrapping themselves around Vinyl's limbs and body, and although the mare struggled and screamed, they held themselves fast.

“Hold on, Vinyl! I'll—I'll—”

Lyra looked around. There was nopony but her, and her the feeble light emanating from her horn stopped mere feet away. Her mind raced, and she grasped at the first spell she could think of. Closing her eyes in concentration, she wove together the complex strands of magic, channeling as much magical energy as she could from her horn into the air above. She wasn't sure it would even work until the last second, when the last bit of magic fell into place and a tower of flame erupted from the tip of her horn. Her sobbing gasp was as much from the effort of the spell as from the sudden wave of heat, but she knew she couldn't stop. She desperately struggled to control the column of fire, pushing it among the vines as close as she dared to the entangled pony. As the vines began to retreat from the flames, she reached out with her levitation toward Vinyl's falling body; though she didn't have the strength to lift another pony, she did what she could to soften the other unicorn's fall. Vinyl landed with a grunt on the forest floor. Lyra rushed over to check on her, the now flaming branches giving her light to see by.

“Are you alright?” she asked. “I tried not to aim straight at you with that fire.”

“I'm fine,” groaned Vinyl. “Never been better in my life.”

Lyra looked up at the crackling branches above her. The burning vines still writhed with their own life, and with every second, the flames were spreading through the canopy.

“We need to put this fire out,” said Lyra. “Before the whole forest burns down.”

“Fine by me!” yelled Vinyl, pulling herself to her hooves. “Let it burn! I'm sick of this stupid forest!”

“You want to get caught in the middle of a forest fire? Come on!”

Lyra turned her attention back to growing inferno above her, but her horn ached and her thoughts swam. She didn't know anything about conjuring water, and when she made a few feeble attempts, the spells just fizzled. She wondered if she could levitate enough dirt to smother the fire, when a strange rushing sound filled the air. A blanket of water fell from the sky, drenching the branches and ponies alike. As the fire was extinguished, the two were thrown back into darkness.

“You've gotta—pull moisture out of the air,” said Vinyl, breathing heavily. “It doesn't just come from nowhere. A pegasus could probably explain it better.”

“That's—that's actually pretty—I mean, what were you thinking?!” Lyra yelled at her companion. All she could make out were Vinyl's red eyes, gleaming in the moonlight, but she directed all her anger at them. “Why would you run off like that?! Don't you know how dangerous it is?!”

“I gotta get out of here, Lyra,” said Vinyl, panic creeping back into her voice. “Didn't you see that crazy thing the Princess killed? Didn't you hear what they were saying about Trixie? I can't handle this! I'm in over my head! I don't know why she brought us here, but I'm sure as hay getting out!”

“Listen to you! You don't even know where you're going, you idiot! You could be running deeper into the forest for all you know!”

“I don't wanna die! I'm just a DJ, not some kind of warrior pony! Who knows what's out there in this freaky forest?!”

“You're right!” yelled Lyra. “We're in huge danger, and I don't know what made you think that there was somewhere safer to be than, I don't know, with the alicorn Princess! And now she has to worry about two nincompoops lost in the forest instead of just one! No, three, because I had the dumb idea to try and come stop you!”

“I—I—” Vinyl took in a deep, ragged breath. “Sweet Celestia. That was really stupid of me, wasn't it?”

“Yeah,” said Lyra with a sigh. “Yeah, it was. Come on, we've got to get back to the group.”

There was long pause as they each searched the thick wall of trees that surrounded them on all sides. The only sound was the wind rattling the burnt branches above them and the mercifully far-off cry of some animal.

“Um, do you know which way we came from?” asked Vinyl.

“No clue,” said Lyra wearily. “Any ideas? Know a spell that might help?”

Vinyl scratched her chin with her hoof. “Send up some sort of signal into the sky, like with a light spell? Then the Princess can come rescue us.”

“If something else doesn't find us first. Let's hold off on that for now,” said Lyra. “They didn't follow us, which probably means that they went to stop Trixie first and are relying on us to take care of our selves for now. But if we don't know which way is back, we should stay put, right? If we just pick a direction at random, we're just as likely to be moving further away from them.”

“Wait, do you see that?”

Lyra barely avoided getting smacked in the muzzle by Vinyl's gesturing hoof. When she turned in the direction the other unicorn pointed, at first all she saw was the dim outlines of more trees and vines. After a second, though, she caught a flash of red light between the trees. It was impossible to tell how far away it was, or what had caused it, but it was quickly followed by another, and a third followed shortly after that.

“Could be the Princess,” said Vinyl hopefully.

“Could be a lot of things,” said Lyra. “I'm not sure following blinking lights into the forest is a good idea.”

“We don't have a lot else to go on,” countered Vinyl. “And if it something dangerous, we should probably figure out exactly we're dealing without before it pounces on us out of the darkness.”

Lyra chewed her lip, considering. Vinyl had completely lost her nerve before, and she wasn't sure she trusted the other pony's judgment. But although her voice was still shaky, the DJ seemed to have calmed down a little. And truth be told, Lyra wasn't sure of her own stock of the situation either. She had been trusting Twilight and Zecora to keep them safe in the forest; she didn't want to frighten Vinyl, but she wasn't very optimistic about their chances of survival.

“Fine,” said Lyra. “But we're not just barging in. We get as close as we can and figure out's over there before we do anything rash. No lights, no noise. Come on.”

As the two made their way towards the mysterious lights, walking as softly as they could through the brush, Lyra had time to collect her thoughts. She tried to recall the various pieces of advice that Twilight and Zecora had given them about fending off the inhabitants of the Everfree, but she was continually distracted by movements and small noises around her. As in the clearing around Zecora's hut, the forest around them seemed to have come alive around them tonight. It was more than just the rustling of branches and the cries of animals; Lyra felt as if there was some presence, intelligent and malicious, that was staring at them from all directions.

She had no idea how defend herself against it, though, and merely pressed forward, her heart pounding. Any minute, she felt, some terrible creature would pounce on them from the shadows and it would be all over. When they reached the source of the red lights, she breathed a sigh of relief. Although their walk must have only taken minutes, it had felt like hours.

Lyra cautiously peered around a tree. Vinyl crept up behind her, but seemed to be making sure that Lyra stayed between her and whatever might be ahead of them. But any annoyance she felt towards Vinyl was quickly replaced with astonishment at what she saw.

Trixie stood at the base of a massive tree, her back to them. Her cape was torn and dirty, and her hat was gone. She was looking up into the canopy above her, and when Lyra followed her gaze, her breath caught in her throat. A massive form was emerging from the shadows of the branches, and it slowly resolved itself into a creature from out of Lyra's nightmares. It was some sort of enormous spider, as large as Zecora's hut. Dark brown hairs bristled on each of its legs, and although it didn't roar or hiss as it slowly descended toward the small pony below it, the creaking of the tree's limbs beneath its weight was menacing enough.

As the beast came ever closer, Trixie held her ground. Lyra couldn't tell if Trixie was paralyzed with fear or if she had simply gone mad—nothing else could explain how the blue unicorn could stand so calmly in the face of such a terror. She was about to call out to Trixie to run for her life, but was interrupted by a loud bang. A bolt of red light shot out of Trixie's horn and hit the great spider in the center of its head. There was a horrible squelching noise as the creature's body went limp and smoke rose from the hair on its now-mangled face. With an unnerving nonchalance, Trixie backed up a view steps as the body fell heavily to the ground. The ground shook and leaves fell from the trees, and Lyra's blood ran cold.

“Holy horsefeathers!” shouted Vinyl. “That was—Trixie, you rule!”

Trixie turned around, a startled look on her face, and Lyra finally got a good look at her. Her eyes were tired and frightened, and looked at them from beneath a disheveled mane. What caught Lyra's attention, though was the black amulet that hung around Trixie's neck. She had never seen it up close, but she had no doubt as to what it was.

“Lyra—Vinyl—,” said Trixie breathlessly. “It's not safe out here, what are you doing? Where's Twilight?”

“Why are you wearing that, Trixie?” asked Lyra, trying hard to keep her voice steady.

“I—I meant to destroy it, but when I dug it up, all of the sudden I heard noises in the woods around me. I couldn't fight them off by myself. It's just for a little while, then I'll get Twilight to show me how to get rid of it.”

“It didn't sound like the Princess knew how destroy it,” said Vinyl.

“Trixie,” said Lyra. “That thing is dangerous. You have to take it off.”

“I will!” Trixie shook her head, as if trying to shake away a fly. “I will take it off. But I can't—I have to protect everypony, first. There's things in the woods, things much worse than even Twilight knows.”

“How do you know that?”

“It—it told me. Showed me. But it's okay, it is, because with the amulet's power, I can stop them. And then it'll be over, and then I'll take it off, I promise.”

Lyra stepped out fully from behind the tree. She looked as levelly as could into Trixie's eyes. The other unicorn seemed mostly in control of herself, but her eyes keep twitching. Lyra thought she could see some light in there, some intelligence other than Trixie. She took a deep breath.

“It's trying to fool you, Trixie. Hay, that thing is probably the reason the whole forest is going crazy in the first place. You need to take it off. Right now.”

Trixie backed up a step. “You don't understand,” she said softly. “I need it.”

“For what?” asked Vinyl, who was still keeping her distance.

“Everything,” said Trixie. “It's everything, don't you see? I'm nothing without it.”

Trixie shook her head again. When Lyra looked in her eyes, she thought she saw a red light glowing from within.

“I need it. And it needs me. And together... together, we can do so much!” Trixie's eyes had lost focus, and she seemed to be talking to herself as much as to Lyra. “We can save everypony. We can show Twilight Sparkle exactly what we're capable of. It won't be like last time, we won't lose control. Together, we're limitless!”

“Yeah, I think she's lost it,” said Vinyl.

“Shut up!” snarled Trixie, her face suddenly contorting into a mask of rage. Another beam of bright red light shot from Trixie's horn, and Lyra could feel a wave of heat as it flew past her. Vinyl yelped as it grazed her mane and she ducked back behind the tree. Every muscle in Lyra's body was screaming at her to run, to get away, but she made herself hold her ground. Her legs trembled, and she fought to keep her voice low and steady.

“Listen to me, Trixie,” she said. “That thing is dangerous. It has a hold of your mind. Don't you see, it's trying to—”

Trixie's horn glowed, and in an instant Lyra was airborne. Before she could react, her whole body was lifted up by a magical force and flung backwards. Her back hit the rough bark of a tree, and she gasped for breath as the air left her lungs. She blinked, trying to clear her blurry vision. Trixie's snarling face came into focus. Lyra struggled to move, but the magic pressed her against the wood behind her. She reached for her own magic, but it was like grasping at straws.

“You think you know everything, don't you?” screamed Trixie. “You've got all the answers, you're Twilight's little pet. Don't think we don't all see you, you sycophant, hanging on her every word, 'oh yes, Your Majesty, you're so smart, Your Majesty'! Let me tell you something about Twilight Sparkle, she isn't half the magician she claims to be! She isn't half the magician that I am!”

“Trixie, you're—” choked Lyra, struggling for air. “I can't—”

“You know how she won our great big duel? Trickery! She went crying to her friends and they all ganged up on me with a pack of lies and horsefeathers! That's your Princess! That's your Twilight Sparkle!”

“I know, but she—”

“And what about you? What do you have that gives you the right to address the Great and Powerful Trixie?!”

“More than you!” yelled Lyra, her voice dry and raspy. “At least I don't have to rely on some stupid trinket!”

She was slammed against the hard tree trunk once more. Her whole body shuddered and her vision swam again. Trixie's eyes, now completely red, were the only thing she could see clearly through the tears.

“Shut up! Shut up, you stupid foal!”

Lyra's mouth felt like it was filled with cotton, but she made herself speak, drawing each word out of her burning lungs with a gasp. “You're better than it.”

“What?”

She couldn't tell if Trixie was actually listening, or how much of the real Trixie was left, but she pressed on. “You don't need it, it needs you. It's nothing without you, and even then it has to lie through the teeth it doesn't have to get you to wear it.”

Trixie's eyes were still glowing red, but she had stopped slamming Lyra against the tree. Lyra dared to let herself hope that she might be getting through.

“You wouldn't say that if you had ever worn it,” said Trixie. “It... it has so much power.

“Power?” said Lyra. “What good is power if you can't make your own choices? What good is power if you're not free?”

“I'm making my own choices,” growled Trixie.

“Please, we both know that that thing is driving the cart,” said Lyra, gesturing feebly to Trixie's neck. “And all its supposed power didn't help you in your contest against Twilight.”

“She cheated!”

“She won a magical duel without casting a single spell,” said Lyra. “If that doesn't make her the greatest magician in Equestria, I don't know what does.”

“What exactly do you want from me?” asked Trixie. Lyra felt the magical force pressing against her increase.

“I want you to take that thing off!” yelled Lyra.

“So you and Twilight can laugh at me! So you can keep looking down your nose at me!”

“So I can see—” Lyra was slammed against the tree trunk again. She tasted blood in her mouth, but kept spitting out words. “So I can see what you can do! Where's the Great and Powerful Trixie? You think you're the greatest magician in Equestria, show me you!”

Tears were forming at the corners of Trixie's eyes. Her body shook.

“That thing wasn't there when you passed Twilight's test. That was just you.”

Trixie closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. “It... it might be too late, Lyra. You might need to go get the Princess, and—and—”

“It's not too late,” whispered Lyra. “Just take it off. I know you can, because you can do anything. You are the Great and Powerful Trixie. You are limitless.”

Trixie's ears twitched, and Lyra realized that hers wasn't the only voice that the other unicorn was listening too. It was clear that the amulet had a mind of its own, and maybe it was just the blows to the head she had taken, but Lyra swore she could hear it too—a voice, barely on the edge of hearing, screaming, begging, berating. It was throwing everything it had at Trixie, who was fighting an invisible war behind her closed eyelids.

“Don't listen to it,” said Lyra. “It's powerless. It's got nothing on you.”

There was a long moment of silence, and then Trixie's horn shined lightly. The clasp on the amulet was undone with a small click, and it and Lyra fell to the ground at the same time. Lyra crumpled in the roots of the tree, gasping for breath. Trixie sat down softly, her eyes still closed, small tears falling down her face.

“Trixie, I—” started Lyra.

“Shut up,” said Trixie softly. “Just let me be for a moment.”

Lyra struggled to her hooves. She moved her legs and her neck, trying to feel if anything was broken or sprained. Her whole body ached, and her head and horn still felt like they were about to burst, but she decided that she was probably going to be okay. She looked down at the amulet lying in the dirt. The red eye glared back at the, the black wings shining in the moonlight. As discreetly as she could, she kicked the thing under a bush, then stuck her head around the tree.

“Thanks for your help, Vinyl,” she said dryly.

The DJ was still lying at the base of the tree, her hooves over her head and her body curled into a ball. When Lyra spoke to her, she peered up and smiled weakly.

“You, ah, seemed like you had everything under control.”

As Vinyl got up and crept slowly around the tree, Lyra turned her attention back to Trixie. The blue unicorn looked as tired as Lyra felt, and met her gaze with heavy-lidded eyes.

“So, Trixie,” said Vinyl. “You, uh, all cool now?”

“Yes, Vinyl,” Trixie said dully. “Trixie is all cool.”

“Sweet. So, if anypony can figure out how to get back to Zecora's—”

Vinyl was interrupted by a loud crash and the sound of falling branches. The ground beneath them shook, and all three heads turned in the direction of the noise. Lyra couldn't see anything in the darkness, but it sounded like something enormous was moving through the trees towards them.

“What the hay is that?” she breathed.

“I don't know, and I'm not finding out!” replied Vinyl as she took off into the woods.

“For Celestia's sake, Vinyl!” cried Lyra as she bounded after her companion. She began to gallop once more through the forest, praying she didn't trip over anything. The sound of Trixie's hooves followed close behind her, and farther back, the crashing and rumbling of whatever creature had found them. It quickly became clear that whatever it was, it was following them.

Lyra was exhausted, and her entire body screamed in pain, but she forced herself onward. She caught glimpses of Vinyl ahead of her as she ran, and did her best to follow the other unicorn. Just when she thought she would collapse, the world opened up. Her hooves kept moving her forward against her will, tripping over the rocky ground that suddenly replaced the grassy forest floor, and she almost ran straight into Vinyl. The white unicorn had come to a stop, and as Trixie skidded to a halt behind them, Lyra peered over her shoulder and saw why.

It looked like nothing less than the end of the world. A rocky cliff dropped straight down, disappearing into fog far below. If Lyra squinted, she could barely make out a similar cliff on the far side. The canyon stretched to either side as far she could see.

“Right,” said Vinyl, her voice cracking. “Time to turn back!”

As the three turned around, a deafening roar met them, coming horrifyingly close by.

“Ponyfeathers,” whimpered Vinyl.

A giant form began to emerge from the shadows of the trees. It stood on four legs, moving ponderously but deliberately, each heavy footfall shaking the ground. Its giant hunched back reached the tops of the trees itself, and as it stepped past the treeline mere yards away, Lyra gasped in wonder as much as in fear.

It looked like a gigantic bear, but its flesh was almost ethereal. Lyra almost couldn't tell what she was looking at, but looking at the creature's body was almost like looking at a clear night sky. Stars and galaxies swirled and danced in what seemed to be another world, floating in a dark purple cloud.

Less mesmerizing and more terrifying was the beasts yellow eyes and giant fangs. It peered at them and snorted, its mouth beginning to curl into a snarl.

“Of course,” said Trixie, her voice slightly hysterical. “Why not?”

“What is it?” whispered Vinyl.

“Ursa Major,” replied Trixie.

The beast opened its mouth and let out another roar, and Lyra had to fight to stay upright against the wind that blew over them. It was close enough that if she had the time and inclination, she could count each of its teeth as she stared into its gaping mouth.

“Maybe you should have held onto that amulet for a bit longer,” said Vinyl.

“Do you think you can cast that teleportation spell, Trixie?” asked Lyra.

Trixie closed her eyes, and her horn sparked feebly. Her voice shook.

“Trixe—Trixie doesn't think so. And I definitely can't move three ponies with it.”

The Ursa Major took another step forward, gazing viciously down at them.

“How about two?” asked Vinyl.

“Vinyl!”

“No, you know what?” said Trixie softly. A small, slight unsteady smile had appeared on her face. “You were right, Lyra.”

“About what?”

“When you said that Trixie could do anything.”

“Trixie, I was just trying to—”

“But you were right! Trixie—Trixie is limitless! You know why?” Trixie was grinning maniacally now. “Because I am the Great,” she broke into a gallop, charging straight at the monstrous bear, “and Powerful,” her horn lit up, and her voice rose in a breathless yell, “Trixie!”

The Ursa Major rose a giant paw, its claws gleaming, ready to crush the tiny pony beneath it. But just as it began to bear down on her, Trixie came to a stop, her legs spread in a defiant stance. The light around her horn grew, bright as daylight, and Lyra could only watch in wonder as the beast grew still.

Then, softly, she began to hear music, or something like it. It was the same music she had heard in her experiments with Twilight, the peculiar flow of the Forest's magic. It was a beat she couldn't quite keep, a tune she couldn't quite follow. She wasn't performing any spell, but she could feel the magic of the forest all around her. She turned to look at Vinyl, and the other unicorn's wide eyes confirmed that they felt the same thing.

It sang, it drove, it pushed onwards. They both sat entranced by whatever it was that Trixie was doing, and the Ursa Major was likewise stupefied, its eyes glazed over and its paw hanging as it stared down at the unicorn. Trixie herself was almost lost in the glare from her own horn, but seemed to be standing steady. The light grew until it hurt Lyra's eyes. The music, the wild magic that was flowing through her horn, also grew, louder and louder, swelling, crescendoing—and then it all fell away. Trixie's horn went dark. Silence fell.

It was an utterly complete silence. For the first time that night, there were no bird cries, no calls from creatures in the woods. The wind itself seemed to have gone still, and Lyra realized that both her and Vinyl were holding their breaths.

Slowly, still in a daze, the Ursa Major backed up until all they could hear of it was the rustle of branches, and then still more until there was nothing to say that the creature had even been there at all.

Without a sound, Trixie's legs gave out beneath her, and she fell to the ground. Lyra and Vinyl rushed to her side, arguing breathlessly and incoherently about what to do, whether they should carry or go for help, and what in Celestia's name had just happened. They were still babbling at each other when Twilight found them.