• Published 18th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 135 Comments

Hand in Hoof - AdamThePony



A human infant ends up in Equestria, raised by the royal family for his own protection.

  • ...
29
 135
 9,079

Chapter 22: Saddle Tendency

Author's Note:

Before we start, I must give my appreciation to a dear old friend of mine. I'd made a promise to him once upon a time to include a facsimile of him in a story of mine, and this chapter is where I finally make good on it.

Thank you, Jade; as much as we butt heads, I am never a man who goes back on his word.

In any event, see you all next chapter.

Chapter 22: Saddle Tendency

Sleep came surprisingly easy that night. Perhaps it was my renewed self-esteem or my restored bodily function. Maybe all those conversations and revelations helped me find my way to sleep much better than I had previously. Either way, it was refreshing to finally have some sense of normalcy again. Having Juno by my side to guard me certainly aided things a fair bit, as well. Whatever the reason, I was glad to get any kind of quality rest for once.

But, as I had forgotten, sleep tends to beckon one's self to the land of the subconscious, and therein waited the real test of my faculties.

Upon falling asleep, I found myself in an all-encompassing blackness. Not from an absence of light, mind; rather, it was lack of anything but a flat surface, smooth and featureless as glass, existing around me. While I remembered the locales in this subconscious landscape well enough, it only made the fact that I was in such a vast swathe of nothing all the more suspicious. I had no intention on fumbling about in this void, my thoughts immediately turning to finding a light source. Yet, though I could cast a light out into the void, it showed me nothing but more empty space. I tried a few times more, just finding more and more nothingness. It was increasingly clear I'd have to find something more substantial to make anything of this realm.

This in mind, I kept on the theme of light. While I couldn't see myself bringing the whole void alight with my current power, I could at least provide the area I was in with a comfortable amount of brightness. First, I considered a chandelier or some other form of overhead light. As I thought of it further, however, it seemed more reasonable to opt for a standing fixture instead. Thus, I ended up focusing my thoughts towards erecting a lamppost. Within moments of me gathering the image in my head, a familiar feeling graced my eyelids.

Never had I been so happy to have a mote of light over my head.

The joy of having control over my power left me in glee. I set to creating a tent, a cooking spit, and a post to mark the area as my own. Within mere moments, I had fashioned a comfortable campsite, one that was all but ready to have my company. I was overjoyed! This was a dream, and yet I could finally have control, rather than be led by the will of my subconscious's whims. I was overcome with a level of freedom and excitement that was at once both terrifying and amazing.

And then, as if to keep me from diving headlong into madness, the familiar golden frame of Schrodinger appeared over the horizon.

"I see you've made yourself comfortable," he noted, the clopping of his hooves making up for the dead air. "And none too soon, I might add."

It was at that point that I became truly aware of my situation. "You set this up for me."

Schrodinger rose his head with a tiny smirk. "Guilty as charged. You're welcome, by the by."

"But why?" I asked, shrugging my shoulders. "Why now, when Iando's hiding away?"

Within a millisecond, he blinked towards me, staring dead into my eyes. "Just because you cannot sense him, that does not negate the importance of learning this skill." He pressed a hoof to my temple. "Never forget; though he takes the same space as I do, this is your mind in the end. You must assert your dominance, or you risk leaving a vacuum in which he could take control at any moment. It would be prudent of you to remain vigilant. I can only help you so much as it is."

With a flick of his horn, the area around us was given a proper forest's ambiance. Redwood trees sprouted about, cozy grass coated the ground, and the calming scent of fresh air tickled my nose. At the very least, he had eye for aesthetics. Could’ve at least added a night sky to complete the look, though.

"I presume you didn't come to see me just to teach me this crucial lesson?" I pondered, stretching out. "I'm sure you have questions after that little revelation we had earlier."

"Better than that," he replied, sitting down near me. "I have a theory."

I gave him the floor. "Feel free. I have time aplenty in this realm."

I willed a bag of marshmallows into being to humor him as he sat down, which he took eagerly, scarfing a couple down with his magic.

"Something about what your father said in that recording got me thinking," he started, looking at the stars. "There's a heavy implication that Megan had intended to have you brought up on that island they were headed towards. However, it's clear by our current predicament that something happened that displaced you in Equestria."

I rolled my eyes. "We already knew that much. We're here, aren't we?"

"If I may be allowed to continue," he grumbled, giving me a pointed stare. "As you may have learned from your experience among the royal family, the type of magic to displace someone isn't uncommon. However, something special must have happened in our case. When you were spirited away, you were somehow placed in just the right time and place to overwrite my existence as an individual. Seeing as I was consolidated into you, it's clear we have some form of connection."

"So what are you saying?" I wondered aloud. "Do we share some kind of spiritual connection?"

He rolled his hoof. "Sort of. I believe it may be that we are in essence each other, if that makes any sense."

I shook my head, which he mirrored a moment later.

"Okay, look," he insisted, pointing at me. "Are you familiar with the idea of many worlds?"

"Of course. It was a part of our physics classes."

"Then how would you reply if I were to tell you that perhaps I was meant to be you or vice-versa?"

I leveled my palm in a shrug. "Honestly? I'd think it a little odd. Given you've named yourself after a physics experiment, however, I can see where you might be going. What's your thesis?"

"Just as I said," he shouted, stomping his hoof. "Whatever force led you to taking residence in this realm didn't just displace you in location. I believe it sent you through time, in such a way that it placed you when I was meant to come into being. Thus, as a means of preventing a catastrophic paradox, I was put inside your mind so that we could still exist safely."

I blinked at him. "That settles it; you're absolutely stark raving mad, and so am I. No sane man would even consider that!"

Schrodinger crossed his legs. "Well, do you perhaps have a better theory?"

I raised my finger, trying to wrack my brain for an answer, but ultimately coming up empty.

"It's all speculation, anyway," he huffed, staring into the flames. "Until we find the last piece of those coordinates and speak to someone who has a firsthand account of the events, we're just left to wonder."

I held one of my knees. "So where do we go from here?"

"Where else?" Schrodinger asked, looking up to the empty void that was the sky. "Back to the waking world."

No sooner had he said those words, then the dream had cut to nothing.

***

I woke with a start, a familiar smell of pancakes caressing my nose as it wafted over me. As ever, Juno was steadfast in watching me, her eyes brightening at the sight of my waking body. While I nudged myself towards the headboard, she felt my forehead, regarding me with equal measures of concern and delight. As soon I became more aware of my surroundings, I ruffled her mane and gave her a happy pat on the head.

"Attentive as always, Juno," I told her, taking in more of the scent around me. "Smells like breakfast. Is Napalm cooking this time?"

Juno happily stepped off the bed, grinning widely. "No, master. It appears Kenta has taken the responsibility. Perhaps he recalled your negative experience with Napalm's cooking and decided to prepare something that would be less drastic to your palette."

I stretched my arms out as I left the bed, content as I scratched her ears. While we'd traveled together for a considerable amount of time, I hadn't taken much stock of the cooking skills of my party. I knew they'd all had some experience in doing so, being travelers, but I never had the blessing of knowing just how each of them prepared their meals. Given Kenta was probably the most experienced survivalist, I couldn't wait to taste what he could make given proper ingredients.

I cracked my knuckles and smiled back. "Well, best to not keep the others waiting then."

As I stepped into the galley, I was immediately taken aback by the sight of the massive pan being used to cook breakfast. It looked similar to a frying pan, but wider and with two handles. It must have been made of some wrought iron, given how Kenta effectively needed both arms to properly lift it. Judging by the pasty emulsion sloshing around and the smell from earlier, I'd say he was making pancakes. In a pan like that, however, I was unsure of whether or not he knew just what he was doing. Regardless, the smell of wild berries proved to be intoxicating as I took a seat.

"You must not get to do this kind of cooking often, Kenta," I offered, yawning. "It's been ages since I've smelt a homemade breakfast."

Kenta craned up from his pan with a smile. "Yeah, a street cook taught me this one. Hands are too big for an ordinary pan, so I have this here wok to do it with."

I rose an eyebrow. "I don't think a wok is usually used to make pancakes."

Kenta let out a wheezing chuckle. "Not with that attitude, it isn't."

Sated by his confidence, I shrugged, letting out a heavy groan. "How's topside today?"

"About twenty-three Celsius, mostly clear," Roughshod grumbled. "Air reeks of cherry blossoms, though; means we're close to our next stop."

As the flapjacks were slid onto our plates, I was almost too infatuated by the smell to continue the conversation.

"Know anything about Neighpon, Roughshod?" I pondered, cutting up a piece as we talked. "You must have been there once before."

Roughshod rolled his eyes. "Their xenophobia puts ponykind to shame. Feels like their whole damned isle's alive in some way, and their adherence to ceremony and tradition makes even my piety look week by comparison."

"Oh, great," Napalm groaned, putting her head to the table. "We had to end up visiting someplace where everypony has a stick up their ass."

"Come now," I chided between bites. "Every culture has their reasons for turning out the way they do. So long as they're not hostile, we should be fine."

Nia nodded, clapping her hooves. "That said, we should be on our toes. The stories I have heard of their people describe them as folk nearly peerless in the ways of combat. What they lack in raw materials, they make up for with unrivaled technique."

Hearing Nia describe these people kindled a particular burning feeling in my mind. After being restored by Megan, I had been wanting to see just what my body was now capable of. Unfortunately, my recovery had to come first. As I heard more and more about this nation during breakfast, my unattended lust for battle only came ever nearer to my forefront of my mind. I couldn't quite reason with myself why I felt this way; I could only surmise that I needed someone to challenge me, if only for the sake of seeing just how far I could go.

As I heard Spike call for our imminent landing, I smirked, dressing myself in the attire I'd attained in Griffonstone and making doubly sure all of my effects were at my person. My desire was only further cemented as I fastened my gauntlets, the fire in my eyes gleaming off the metal. The sweet scent that hung in the air did nothing to douse the passion that now welled to the surface. If what my friends were telling me was true, I was in for quite a helping of excitement once I'd disembarked. I guess you could blame it on my adoptive parents' thrill-seeking tendencies.

I admit, I might have seen cherry blossoms in the past, but never had I seen such a vast swathe of...pink. While such a color wasn't unknown to me, having lived my life in a world where everyone could be every shade of the rainbow, seeing such a huge amount of these trees felt almost otherworldly to me. As we touched down in a nearby clearing, a particular sensation of having entered into truly unfamiliar territory had washed over us. That feeling that we were being watched by everything around us left us tense. This tension only built up as we passed through a large red archway overlooking a narrow bridge, at the end of which stood a distinct figure.

She was pony-like, but something was visibly...off about her. From the brief flashes I saw from beneath her robes, the distinct glimmer of her silver scales alongside her regular teal pelt hinted that she was more than she appeared. As her tail idly swayed across the floor, I noticed it looking more akin to a griffon or lion's with the way it was designed. However, the most glaring difference was her rather sizable rack of antlers. Two sizable antlers poked from her head, opalescent and proud to such an extent it had nearly taken my attention away from the large white cloth affixed to her eyes. Her mere presence just standing there, nothing but her catfish-like whiskers moving, left us at an impasse as to what to do.

As soon as one of us stepped forth, she stepped forth in turn. In that one step, that pressure she exuded washed over us again.

"Teishi, autorandā" she barked half-heartedly. "Watashi wa kono hashi o mamoru. Anata wa kangei sa remasen."

The lot of us were frozen by her response. While I had some experience in her dialect at the time—blame Shining Armor's deep fascination with comic books and my own training for the guard—, I only knew a fraction of what she had said then. For your benefit, I'll translate and annotate the rest where it is appropriate, though I will leave some of their more iconic words and phrases as they are to keep this writing a bit more exotic. This first part, however, I leave untranslated to preserve the feeling of the scene.

"Okay..." Spike awkwardly replied, turning to whisper in my ear. "Any idea what she just said?"

Juno kept her eyes trained on the girl, as if to assess her from a safe distance. "If my on-board translator is functioning correctly, I believe she regards us as outsiders. She appears to guard this bridge."

"You can speak her language?" I balked in amazement. "Does it work both ways?"

Juno nodded with a smile. "Hai, denkimasu."

She quickly stepped forward, keeping that same demeanor as she approached the scaled pony.

"Kon'nichiwa, kōseina senshi." she began, bowing low. "Watashitachi wa anata no rīdā ni au tame ni Equestria no kuni kara kita ryokō-shadesu."

The guardian cocked her head. ”Sōdesu ka?”

Perhaps hastily, I stepped forward to accompany Juno. "That's right," I added, bowing to her as well. "Princess Celestia has asked us to deliver a summons to the Royal Summit!"

I hadn't realized it at that moment that I had made a grave mistake. In coming closer, I'd hoped to come off as more friendly towards her. In doing so, however, I gave her a chance to better assess me. Given the look on her face, something about me horrified her. She immediately backed away, her composure rather quickly wavering before me.

"So-sore wa akumadesu!" she cried, her antlers alight as she produced a long, thin sword in its scabbard that had been poking out from beneath her robes. "Hanarate!"

"That sounds bad," Spike gasped, backing away. "Like, really bad."

Out of instinct, I joined Spike, keeping myself ready. Certain I offended her, I rested my hand on my sword's pommel, waiting for her to make a move. I dared not let out a breath for fear of setting her off even more. If only I had remembered that wooden bridges will always creak. Quality be damned.

The pony lunged at me, my eyes only barely catching that she had drawn her blade. With a single, strong bound, she leapt forward, poised to cleave me in twain with a single stroke, the edge ringing as it cut the air itself with purpose.

Or at least, I would have been, had Juno not been able to take advantage of her metallic body.

"Master, it appears we have moved her to violence," she noted, shrugging her off like a linebacker. "I have deflected her initial defense. Prepare to engage!"

With a quick nod, I jumped back, loosing my own blade from its sheath. As soon as Juno jumped away from me, I took her place, swiping at the guardian with careful strokes. With each swing, she flicked her own blade in return, deflecting each attack with the blunt side. With every step I took to try and flank her, she stepped to intercept me. Even my attempts at fisticuffs found no purchase as she stood firm, her ears twitching as she threw me off with her horns.

"Muda da!" she cried out, flattening her edge. "Try any angle you wish. You're a hundred years too early to face a seasoned kirin warrior!"

I was awestruck. Questions raced through my mind as I focused my efforts towards keeping her at a safe distance. How could someone like her move so quickly in such a tight space? How was she able to outpace me without even making eye contact? Why had she only become hostile when I approached her? I had to try and press an advantage quickly, lest my body paint the bridge red.

My eyes turned to the water around the bridge, then to Nia. I quickly jerked my head to the water, and the both of us seemed to be in agreement. It was time to test my power for real.

The water likely wasn't very deep, but for my purposes, it didn't need to be. With a deft flick of my right arm, I threw a jet of water at the Kirin. As I clenched my fist, the water froze into ice, blocking her path towards me. It wouldn't stop her for very long, but it was long enough for my plan. I tensed myself, eying the sculpture I just made as I heard a guttural growl from the other side. A shadow appeared inside the ice, and not a moment later, I ducked under a soccer-ball sized orb of flame. Just behind, the kirin lunged after me, her fangs bared before me.

"Cheap parlor tricks won't stop me, demon!" she snarled as she bore down on me. "Time to end this!"

Little did she know that Nia had already positioned herself to intercept her. Before her antlers could even poke me, Nia's rear hoof dug into her ribs, knocking the wind clear out of her as she staggered back. She looked almost aghast that I'd managed to trick her that way. She gave me a burning glare as she crouched down. "I won't give up! I must protect this island from outsiders at all costs!"

"What is the meaning of this?!"

Suddenly, the kirin grew exceptionally pale. This new voice cut through the tension like finely-tempered steel, her eminence radiating throughout the area like lamplight. As she approached, her golden scales gleamed brightly in the sunlight, her antlers acting almost like a lens with how they seemed to trap the crepuscular rays inside them. Her pelt was a deep navy, only contrasted by an even deeper mane. The sharp, precise way that mane ended at the brow to highlight her orange eyes made her authority clear to everyone in the area. As soon as the teal kirin's face met this one, she immediately prostrated herself before her, cheeks flooding profusely.

"Y-your majesty! Please forgive me!" she pleaded, pointing a cloven hoof at me. "These foreigners showed up, and they've brought a demon with them!"

The elder kirin quirked her brow, her eyes immediately focusing on me. "These look like ponyfolk to me," she hummed, stepping slowly between us. "All except you. Explain yourself."

"They claim to be travelers come to see you," the younger mare explained. "Apparently Celestia is involved.

And just like that, at the very mention of Celestia's name, all the tension that had previously been built up was immediately slashed and burned before our eyes.

"Amaterasu-sama sent you?!" the elder kirin squealed, barely containing her excitement as she stifled it with a cough. "A thousand pardons. I was not aware she was sending an envoy, nor one so...peculiar."

I held my arms up in innocence. "In fairness, you're far from the first person to say that."

The elder simply chuckled. "Be that as it may, if Chiyo was disquieted by your arrival, then it is clear that something is amiss." She emphasized this point by stamping her hoof. "Your name and business. Now."

"Ah, where have my manners gone?" I sighed, kneeling down in respect as I gestured to the group. "I am called Lance, prince-in-training for Equestria. These are my friends."

"And what a diverse group they are, indeed!" The elder's eyes widened as she took in the rest of us. "I was aware of Equestria's cosmopolitan nature, but this is an extent I had not expected! I am Lady Yuki, Empress of the Isles of Neighpon."

The rest of us bowed in turn, introducing ourselves. Spike in particular seemed especially eager to greet her, nearly groveling before her.

The empress appraised us for a moment, her eyes particularly fixed on me as she closed in. "You are the most conspicuous of this group," she noted, pacing around me. "Though I cannot sense any ill intent in you, I do feel something quite...off about you." She rose my chin up to get a closer look at my face. "Tell me, do you believe you have anything that may prove your identity?"

It was then, as though it had been waiting for its moment of glory, that the Thunderbird swooped down, letting out a proud shriek as it roosted itself upon Juno's head. The lot of us—the Empress and Chiyo included—looked on with surprise at its sudden appearance, the sight of its gleaming azure wings giving pause to everyone.

"Is that—" Yuki whispered, blinking in disbelief. "That's a thunderbird! It is said that only those of great magic and exceptional goodwill could hope to tame such a magnificent creature!"

I eyed the bird and smiled. This was my moment of opportunity. The bird had granted me an out once more; I needed only capitalize on its arrival. "It is a recent addition to our group," I replied, trying to shrug the accusations off me. "We were at a difficult spot trying to restore some ancient technology, and this one happened to be following us a considerable time. All it took to sway it was a bit of guidance from someone close to me, and it has been our travelling companion ever since."

The empress looked to me with surprise. "And from something so young, as well!" she chirped, her eyes alight. "I must admit, you are quite an intriguing sight to behold." Her face flattened to a more neutral look. "However, I do not believe that such a feat exonorates you just yet." She took my hand in her hooves, urging me to stand. "If I may ask it of you, I'd like you to come with me."

Napalm looked cross at the way the elder kirin spoke. "Are we being detained or something?" she wondered, raising an eyebrow. "Because I'm pretty sure doing that to another country's visitors is kind of, y'know, a crime?"

"Nothing like that," Yuki shook her head. "You are not being arrested. Only assessed. As I may have demonstrated, your princess and I have a long history together." She motioned for the rest of us to rise. "I would not do something so grievous to harm the trust and loyalty we have to one another, least of all to our respective subjects. I assure you, my sole intent is to ensure that she has not been too lenient of what goes on past her borders."

I nodded to her, beckoning us closer. "I understand, Your Highness; you are neither the first nor the last to have their suspicions of me. If it will help you feel safer, I will gladly comply."

"Excellent." The empress turned, guiding Chiyo to go ahead. "Follow me. We're going to see someone who is adept in supernatural matters."

At her request, we followed suit, Juno and Spike keeping pace with me as we made our way past the bridge. The forest ahead was vividly colored, with trees ranging from green to red and a vast rainbow of shrubberies.. Once again, that feeling of being watched fell over me. I couldn't quite understand what was following me, but I knew something was nearby. As a way of trying to distract myself, I opened with some small talk, pointing to Chiyo. "Forgive me if this is rude, but why is your retainer wearing a blindfold?"

Chiyo turned away the instant I had asked that question, giving only a low grunt she did. Was that a blush of embarrassment or of shame? Given her frown, I was to assume the latter.

"Sore subject, I take it," I murmured, rubbing my arm awkwardly. "Did she suffer some kind of trauma as a foal?"

Yuki's expression grew solemn as I'd asked that. Though her posture hadn't changed, the light in her eyes grew slightly dimmer at the word "trauma". "Something like that," she hummed back, eyes fixed to the road. "What lead to her tragic loss of vision is something I doubt she would be comfortable with confiding to gaijin." With that, she craned her neck in my direction. "Perhaps if your guilt is sincere, she may be willing to divulge it. In the meanwhile, all I can tell you is that it was the result of her venturing into places she ought not be in alone."

A remorseful feeling took over my stomach with her answer. How could I have been so inconsiderate? I had scared her half to death, and yet I thoughtlessly invited more fear into her. It certainly wasn't doing anything to help my case to ask something so sensitive. I had nearly thought to hold my tongue there, but the ever foolish, more curious side of my brain refused to be quiet. "If you will pardon my intrusion...what exactly happened here? As in, what happened prior to my arrival to make her fear me?"

Yuki didn't bother to dignify my question with her direct attention. "That, I'm afraid, will have to wait until we can be certain of your identity."

***

Later, we arrived at a decently-sized estate. Made of wood and painted a rather harsh shade of orange, it rather blatantly stood out amongst the wild forestry around it. Bright red paper lanterns and wooden chimes were strewn under the sloped tile roof, each fluttering lightly in the breeze. Perhaps the most conspicuous of details, however, were the abundance of paper slips that were plastered along the outside perimeter like notes on a corkboard. Each of them—as well as the lanterns and chimes—bore what I could only assume was the native language of Neighpon, a delicate and deliberate calligraphic font that must have required at least an hour's worth of careful design in each piece. Even the pond and garden had been meticulously maintained, the fields tilled in neat, symmetrical rows and the pond's rocks placed in a particular pattern, with a strange device collecting water from the nearby stream before dropping like a lever to produce a loud "donk".

All of this gave me a distinct impression that whoever lived here was a man who had the word "Orthodox" as his legally-signed middle name.

"Well, this place is...intricate," Napalm croaked, at odds with what she was seeing.

Roughshod simply chuckled, pointing his cane at the slips. "Judging by all that paper strung about, the owner's either a very forgetful man or a very holy one."

"A very accurate assessment," Yuki confirmed with a happy nod. "I see that you travel with folk well-versed in matters clergical." At this, she approached the house, carefully treading the steps as she stamped her hoof on the wood. "I request your presence, Onmyōji."

A creaking sound shrieked across the wood as hoofsteps approaching closer and closer to the doorway. "Yare yare, who could it be at this hour?" groaned a voice on the other side as the door slid open.

It was here that we were greeted by a rather queer fellow. He was a unicorn shaded by a gleaming jade coat, his eyes only different in tone. His black mane had been pinned up by a pair of needles, his bangs only barely covering his round spectacles. What struck us even more was his figure. Where Chiyo and Yuki could generously be described as lean, this stallion bore what I might describe as a...healthy stature. Not obese or rotund, per se, but certainly something which suggested a rather sedentary lifestyle. Others may have more volatile or inflammatory ways of describing him, but I choose a more generous route out of respect for his profession. If nothing else, his white robes were rather lovingly laundered. That, and he had a rather immediate response to his superior's arrival.

"Y-yuki-sama! Gomen nasai!" he blurted, jerking down into a bow as he shivered before her. "I hadn't recognized your voice, Your Highness. I hadn’t expected you to be traveling out in these times."

Yuki chuckled dryly at the sudden display of respect, mirroring Celestia's own humor. "All is forgiven. What sort of ruler might I be if I do not at least take care to ensure that my people are unharmed?" She rose her hoof up in response. "Please, come to your hooves. I have need of your talents."

"And what would Her Highness require of me tod-" It was at that moment that he noticed the lot of us standing not far behind her, to which his glasses and jaw dropped simultaneously. "Susano-o's storms! Outsiders?! How did they get past our checkpoints? Do they not know we are in a quarantine?"

Yuki shook her head, motioning to me. "It would appear that Amaterasu's latest envoy had neglected to mention this to him," she replied, waving me over to her. "As a matter of fact, it is because of this one that I have deigned to come here personally. Something about him has spooked dear Chiyo, and I would like you to ascertain as to why that is."

At her answer, the stallion flicked his frames back up his nose, saluting her proudly. "Of course, your highness! Anything in the service of my liege!" He quickly beckoned us in, waving us past the door. "Irasshaimase! Come, come!"

Napalm looked to the rest of us with some confusion, but Nia and Roughshod weren't shy on following him. Given what I knew of them, it was perfectly reasonable for them to go first. The rest of us followed soon after, Napalm bringing up the rear.

"You've come at a very fortuitous time indeed, Lady Yuki!" the as-yet unnamed holy man declared, beaming eagerly. "I'd just made tea! But, I'm sure a madam of your status hasn't the time to entertain a humble civil servant's dining. That, I believe, may come later." His attention returned to me. "Now then, onto business. To whom do I have the pleasure of divining the careful weaves of fate?"

Momentarily stunned by his enthusiasm, I bowed down low, nose just barely missing the floor. "I am Lance Petal, envoy for Equestria and potential heir to the throne."

Once I had informed him of my status, his eyes and teeth glistened with an eerily excited glow. "What a turn of events! A royal seeking to help another royal?" he wondered aloud as he picked apart his home. "And what type of service might I perform for him? A divination? Perhaps a seance?" He started rubbing his hooves cheerily. "Or perhaps you're in need of an exorcism. I do so adore exorcisms!"

"You'll have to forgive him," Yuki whispered, leaning close to us to avoid being overheard. "Jade Gazer is a tad...eager when it comes to his profession. It would be best if you humored him." Clearing her throat, she stamped her hoof. "I should hope we needn't go turn to the extreme measures so soon. I simply require a divination. Should you find anything requiring more, I leave it at your discretion."

"Right away, Your Highness!" Jade replied, his horn now alight as he swiftly prepared some small bowls around a sizeable kettle as he invited me over. "I was actually hoping I'd get the opportunity to demonstrate this new brew I'd come upon. I find it may just help my patrons get into just the right headspace to expose whatever's bewitched them." With continued glee, he lifted the kettle, smiling. "Might you want to try this?"

"Oh sure, just try a weird tea from a colt you just met," Napalm sighed, rolling her eyes. "That doesn't sound suspicious at all."

Spike jabbed her quickly with his elbow. "We really shouldn't try to make ourselves look any more suspicious right now."

Both of them made a valid point. I had only met Jade a moment ago, and my initial impression of him was...unease. With all due respect, in spite all the order in which he kept his home, something about the man himself just didn't sit right with me. Whether it was paranoia, anxiety, or just a lack of familiarity, I just couldn't get a good gauge of his intent. On the other hand, this man was also the only means I had to prove my own goodwill. Thus, with mild reluctance, I lifted my bowl. "It has been too long since I've had a good tea. Thank you."

"Excellent!" cheered the mystic as he carefully poured a steaming portion of the tea inside. "Don't go too fast now; It's quite hot, and the flavor is best appreciated in gradual sips."

At his advice, I slowly began to drink. I suppose I could say I am well-experienced in the art of tea drinking, being someone who was raised among royalty. While it hadn’t supplanted my later appreciation of coffee as my beverage of choice, I have nothing but respect for those skilled few who spend their hours crafting new teas. Having said that, this tea was rather plain, at least initially. I'd had herbal teas in the past, but rarely of the medicinal variety. As such, during the first few sips, I didn't feel much of anything. Or at least, not anything alarming.

Then my legs fell asleep. Then my chest was still. Even my arms began to slowly relax with each passing drink. I grew increasingly numb, in both the physical and mental sense. Where I might have once felt alarmed, I was left in a state of relative ease. Was this tea made with opium or some other narcotic? Was it poisoned or tampered with before my arrival? Was it intended for someone else until I came about? Honestly, once the numbness reached my brain, none of these questions honestly mattered to me. Nothing around me mattered; only my breath and the remains of the tea on my tongue.

I honestly couldn't tell what was going on after that. All I know was that I was still conscious and aware, only able to infer my surroundings through what I heard.

"Something isn't right," Napalm whispered, leaning into Roughshod. "He hasn't said a word since he finished his cup."

Spike scratched his chin, nodding. "You're right. He looks like he just took a bunch of cold medicine and just got all whacked out. Know what I mean?"

"Well, it's something like that," Jade answered, pushing his glasses up with his hoof. "It's my patented Mushin tea."

"Mushin?" parroted Nia, "You mean 'of no mind', yes?"

Jade beamed at Nia's answer. "Precisely! It's a tea that helps clear away all thoughts and fetters. If I didn't do that first, I'd find it difficult to look inside him."

Spike scoffed in disbelief. "So what, you're gonna read his mind or something?"

Jade shook his hooves nervously. "No, not at all! I'm an oracle, not an esper! I just find it easier to look at his soul once the patient is properly sedated, is all."

"Just get on with it," Roughshod grunted. "We haven't got all day, now."

Jade turned his nose up as he looked about his home. His horn lit up as he looked for the proper implements strewn about, eventually pulling down a mirror and standing it in front of me. Being relatively indisposed, I thought little of the device, giggling idly at how silly I looked. "Now, Lance," he whispered, looking behind my shoulder, "it is of tantamount importance that you do not look away. This is a very important ritual."

"What do you see?" implored Yuki, looking on. "What does it tell you?"

Jade leaned in, propping his neck upon my shoulder. "Well, I see a lot of dark clouds. Nothing quite sticks out and—"

It was at that point that the familiar visages of Iando and Schrodinger were now in view. The two of them were locked in conflict, horn against blade as the two traded swipes at one another. The instant one found purchase, the other pushed back, ready to try and seize an advantage that neither would fully gain. At that moment, as we watched, they seemed to be at an unbreakable impasse.

"Well, that's perhaps the most literal version of one's yin and yang coming to blows I think I've ever laid eyes on," Jade gulped. "Doesn't get much more cut and dry than that."

"So what does it mean?" Napalm jeered. "Is he just gonna flip out and go AWOL at any moment?"

Jade clicked his tongue with an indignant look. "Not necessarily," he countered, looking rather chuffed. "If the dark one is in fact a demonic presence and the light one is his inner self fighting back, then the two are at a stalemate. In essence, the two sides of his soul appear to have become personified and energized. So long as they're on even ground, he should remain stable and dependable."

"So what is to be done?" Chiyo interrupted. "How do we know he is to be trusted?"

"That," Jade stressed, turning to the empress, "is more for your superior to decide than you, I'm afraid."

Everyone else was now looking up at Yuki, my friends looking exceptionally worried. Now it was her turn to be flustered. Ever so slightly, the mantle of her majesty slipped away, and they caught a glimpse of her blushing as she averted her eyes. We could hear a whine of unease leave her throat as her tail swept the floor. As the seconds passed by, the whine grew ever so slightly louder, only stopping once she finally noticed its volume. With a resolute shake of her head, she turned back to Jade. "Wake him at once. I believe I have something in mind for him."

At her behest, Jade brought down a conical object. It was something that I had vaguely remembered Twilight having mentioned offhandedly whenever she discussed Pinkie Pie. Though I rarely ran afoul of it myself, it was a device to which I was at least conceptually familiar with. Had I not been under such heavy sedation, I probably would have had a more visceral reaction to seeing it.

Of course, that didn't dampen the shock of hearing that almost deafening BANG of the snap or the burst of confetti that littered my face.

I felt like I'd just been shaken awake during a bad dream. My heart was at a hare's speed, needing the assurance of everyone nearby to help calm me down. Once I took a quick look around the room, my consciousness was firmly grounded once more. At that realization, I took a deep breath and looked down to the cup. "Remind me to ask you for the recipe to this."

Jade's squeal of delight, I'll admit, struck me as rather amusing. "I'm flattered, sir! I've been working all week to get that brew just right!"

"If I may have your attention, Sir Lance," Yuki demanded, clearing her throat. "I believe it is time for me to speak truthfully."

She bowed to Jade as she beckoned us outside and onto the trail again. Though her expression did seem less intense, her domineering aura hadn't left. While the rest were visibly relieved at my safety, they were just as worried as I was about what was to come. Where we weren't exactly welcomed in pleasant circumstances at our prior stops, here we were in a truly foreign territory. Only Roughshod knew a thing about where we were, and that was largely from hearsay. It didn't help that this walk was substantially longer than the previous one, and even quieter. None of us could think of a way to break the silence without feeling we'd overstep a boundary of some kind.

It was only when we reached a city that the tension seemed to dissolve a little. The city was in many respects similar to Canterlot; cobbled roads, high buildings, a healthy amount of higher-class mares and stallions lining the streets, and a distinctly mystical air all around. The buildings shared a similar tapered look to that of Jade's humble cottage, but many resembled cardboard boxes that had been stacked on top of one another. Unlike Canterlot, however, the vast majority of the citizens were fully dressed, most of them in robes that covered the entire back half of their bodies. The especially wealthy among them bore elaborate floral embroideries sewn in a golden thread whose glare was almost blinding. "I welcome you to Neighdo," she declared, quietly. "The palace is at the far point of the city. Don't mind the stares; they are merely intrigued by my having you as company."

The lot of us were dumbstruck at the majesty of the architecture, leaving her to continue the conversation.

"We'll talk in my tea room," she whispered, ignoring nearby onlookers as we passed by them. "It is rare that I am given alone time with how the island has been. My only hope is that my subordinates give us no further trouble."

"Why would they do that?" I asked her, also dodging gazes. "Sure, Chiyo was certainly hot-tempered, but surely that can't extend towards the rest of your cabinet, can it?"

Yuki shook her head. "Though many of my followers are perfectly well-mannered folk, many suffer from the same zeal and superstition that she does." she looked upon me with a deep stare. "When we arrive, you will know very well as to why."

Of course, once she'd pointed that out, we all felt considerably naked following her. Many of them immediately rushed their women and children indoors when they looked upon me, and those who didn't looked to me in both worry and curiosity. While there were still a handful of people who were minding their own business, we seemed to leave a trail of unease in our wake. Even with the empress leading the way, we stayed very close to her, hoping the aura of her authority would protect us.

Even with her leading us, there were certainly some figures who paid her authority absolutely no mind. One of these was a svelte stallion that awaited us inside the main palace. His coat was a deep, royal purple, his eyes burning bright holes into our confidence as they looked upon us. Tied up was a raven-black mane that more resembled a tiger's scruff than anything dragon or pony. What gave us the most pause, however, were his antlers. They were large, tapered to a razor's edge, and from the looks of it, even gilded to some extent. I'm not exactly sure how someone managed to do that, but given his rather grim expression as he regarded us, I dreaded what may have happened to all those who tried before they managed this.

"Lady Yuki," he grunted, keeping his sights firmly locked on me. "It is unlike you to escort such a large procession. Much less one containing such...filth as that one."

Yuki was unflinching in the face of the stallion's response. "Ever the chipper one, Coda. I would prefer you abstain from epithets like that in my presence."

Coda rolled her eyes. "Even under a quarantine, you seem to think yourself above the law."

"I will not abide insubordination!" she growled, staring the dissenting stallion down. "I know very well what goes on in my borders, Coda; It is for that very reason they have been brought here." She swiftly brought her muzzle up. "We are heading to the tea room. You are not to follow us inside. Keep guards posted at the door in case of emergency. If you interrupt, I will not hesitate to strip you of your status and send you into the wilds."

Coda, equally stalwart, simply grinned. Yuki paid him no mind and ushered us to press on, now significantly more hurried in her canter. As soon as we made it further away, we all took a deep breath. I held my tongue as we passed other guards along the way, leaving any remarks or quips to my comrades. Thankfully, Spike was willing to speak for the lot of us. "Just what was that guy's problem?"

"He is Critical Coda." Yuki kept her voice low as she ushered us throw a door. As we made our way inside, her volume increased slightly. "Of the many retainers that I have in my cabinet, he is...well-known, to put it generously." She flicked the door shut with her magic as she saw a shadow approach. "While I cannot speak well of his etiquette and honor, he is nothing if not deliberate and calculating. There are few men I trust more to assure our military's strength."

"Yeah, well..." Spike cleared his throat, tugging at his nonexistent collar. "I don't mean to sound rude, but he kinda seems to have it out for Lance here."

"Indeed," she whispered, nodding as she addressed me. "I believe that now is the time that I speak honestly about our predicament."

I stood straight before her, shivering as candles around the room lit up on their own.

"I won't muddy this with semantics, so I'll speak plainly," she continued, eyes narrowing as her pupils threatened to impale me. "You are not the first of your kin to reach these shores. In my early years upon the seat of Empress, I have seen many of yours arrive on my isles. To this day, neither they nor their descendants draw breath. As far as I am aware, you are but one of the few who still lives."

Her words struck me like bullets in the chest. To think that I'd come that much closer to finding my fellows, only to be lead to the most literal of dead ends. I had come so far, hoping to find at least one other who lived besides Megan, only to have that hope dashed before me. My gut tightened at such a notion, eyes burning at the thought.

"When?" I whimpered. "How? How could so many of them have gone in over a thousand years?"

Yuki nearly broke eye contact altogether. Yet, she still maintained her demeanor. "Much as you have done, those kinsmen of yours came here seeking safety from the demonic plague that had befallen them. They had perhaps been led here on the promise that this pure, powerful land could relieve them where no magic could. Perhaps they believed that here laid the secret to their salvation they could not find in Equestria." She lowered her head slightly. "Unfortunately, by their very presence, they were doomed from the start.

"While I and a good few of my subordinates welcomed these unfortunates easily, many of the layfolk distrusted them. They compared them to being nothing but yokai, loathsome abominations that had no place here in Neighpon."

My stomach knotted tighter at such familiar words.

"Worse still, the native yokai thought them as especially worthy prey," she continued, trying desperately not to look away from me.. "Many of them hunted down your kind like animals, leaving nothing but bone in their wake. Those that survived found no succor within civilization, either. The superstitious and paranoid masses sought them to be either exiled...or executed."

The last word caused me to double over, my voice straining as my mind tried to form at least one coherent thought amongst the maelstrom of paranoia that had overtaken me.

"You..." I hissed between my teeth. "You killed them?" The bitter taste in my mouth brought me to one knee. "You let everyone else just...murder them?!"

"You must understand!" she pleaded, flinching as I shouted at her. "It was not by my hooves that they died! I did all that I could, but even my authority couldn't quell their contempt when I was so young into my rule!"

"And you couldn't try to save at least one of them?" I barked, clenching one of my fists. "You couldn't have at least tried to cleanse them of their ills?"

Before I took another step towards her, Spike and the others held me back. I was seething then, straining to break free so I could show her just how I felt about what she told me.

"Master, you must calm yourself!" Juno pleaded, planting her back hooves firmly as she threatened to dislocate my arm. "This is exactly what the spirit wants! She is not our enemy!"

"You let my ancestors die!" I screamed. "They could have been my family, and now they're dead!"

It was at that point that Spike took the majority of the burden on himself, seizing me in his arms as he pinned me the ground. "You gotta stop, dude!" he shouted, grunting as he held me down. "There has to be a reason she brought us here. I know it's hard to have to hear it, but I've been in the same place you're in now. Just give her a chance!"

As everyone tried in vain to console me, Yuki strode up to me. "I understand you are upset," she lamented, trying to talk over the commotion. "But I would not have allowed you to come this far if I couldn't reconcile this matter with you."

The room fell dead silent then. All struggle faded from my body as the weight of my friends grew heavier. As Yuki got even closer, everyone else backed away.

"You have every right to be angry at me, Lance," she whispered, trying desperately to hide her welling eyes. "What happened to your people in those days was unimaginable and unforgiveable. Had I the power, I would have seen to it they got the help they needed. Alas, I was weak in my youth, and it has cost me a great deal of honor. If it would help, I will gladly allow you to exact what you believe is just against me." She then craned down, our faces dangerously close to kissing range. "But please, if you will allow me, I can offer you a way to help us both."

I didn't have the nerve to talk back at first. I just stared at her blankly, contemptuously, hoping that I could translate all the anger and grief I was feeling through my glare. And yet, there she stood, unmoving and unbreaking, waiting patiently for me to stand. As I returned to a kneeling posture, I was propped myself up by my arm. With a scornful, harsh croak, I asked her, "Why have you brought me here?"

"Because," she replied, holding my chin up by her hoof, "by being one of the last of your kind alive, you have a unique opportunity to treat the wounds they have left."

I looked at her with disbelief. "What are you on about?"

She turned our attention to the wall scroll she'd been peeking at earlier. On it was a depiction of my people making landfall onto the island. They had been drawn, unfavorably, with mantle-like shadows weighing them down. As we looked across it, we saw strange-looking creatures who seemed to be either keeling at the sight of them or tearing them apart. When it showed their limp bodies, the shadows had assumed their shape, taking frightening postures as a long blue serpent of a beast crawled out of view.

"Just as you are now, the spirits of those who'd been slain were rightfully furious at their undeserved deaths," she explained, clearing her throat. "They too bore the taint of the shadow beasts borne of Tsukiyomi's rage. When they had been killed, these beasts took their souls, denying them their peace and anchoring them to the mortal realm. Now under the thrall of these demons, they have terrorized our beautiful land, and have caused the Great Dragon Watatsumi to flee to where no mortal can coax him."

Spike did a double take. "Wait, did you say there's a dragon here?" he croaked in disbelief. "Is that what that snake-thing is?"

Yuki nodded. "He is the god of the seas, and it is through our magic that many of our finest springs run upon," she explained, running her hoof along the elegant drawing before lowering it sadly. "However, in his absence, those springs have dried, and the animals and yokai who would benefit from the rivers and lakes are either dying or growing hostile towards the rest of us as a result."

"So what am I to do then?" I growled, clutching my wrist at a vague attempt at restraining myself. "If the rest of this island is as hostile to me as the civilized folk are, what chance have I stopping this?"

It was at this moment that the empress suddenly cracked a peculiar smile. "Believe it or not, you are exactly whom we need to see this incident resolved," she answered proudly. "Though I hadn't seen all of your battle with Chiyo, I did sense incredibly strong ki enemating from you."

I blinked. "Ki? What is that?"

Chiyo looked at me with disgust. "Baka. You travel with fighters and wield such great magic, yet you know not of the power you hold?"

Yuki chuckled as she glanced over, her smile widening. "I believe the striped one may be more familiar with it, but ki is a particular type of energy that we have come to know. Your kind may call it magic, but it is a bit more complex than that."

"Aye?" Roughshod grumbled from the back. "And what makes yours so special, then?"

"To us, ki is not something that comes from a part of one's self," she clarified, gesturing to her horn and then to her chest. "It comes not from a natural extension of what comes naturally to someone, but rather the spirit of the person inside. It isn't something that can be easily studied. Rather, it is cultivated, trained, and exercised."

"And how exactly is learning another type of magic on top of the two I'm already learning supposed to help us?" I pondered allowed, not even hiding my still fresh irritation.

Nia came to the forefront. "In a way, you're already using some of what she is saying, Lance," she added. "Magic though it may seem to you, my training has fundamentally stemmed from ki. You've been learning to wield it through my methods. I can't speak for your other abilities, but the ones I taught you were purely ki.

Yuki appeared genuinely impressed with Nia's reply, now beaming. "Your teacher is quite astute," she noted, shooting her an approving glance. "In any event, seeing as you are kin to these wayward spirits, you may have a chance to mollify them and, if possible, find a way to convince Watatsumi to come out again."

"Can you get to the point?" Napalm snapped.

The lot of us eyed Napalm disapprovingly, but Yuki shook her head. "My apologies. I'll be brief, then. These shadow men have been moving more...deliberately, of late. As if they answer to an even higher authority than themselves. If you can find out who is commanding them, I implore you, stop them at any cost. If you can do that and free the Great Dragon, you shall have my gratitude. You might also find closure from those who were unable to pass on."

"Do you have any theories?" Kenta huffed. "Any formations or patterns or the like? Signs of gatherings?"

Yuki shook her head. "Only that they leave some decay in their wake. That aside, not much. However, that won't help you." She turned to me again. "Instead, I'd like to see to it that you tap into the more...spiritual aspect of your ki. You already show great skill in affecting the physical plane, but you'll need more for this endeavour."

Before I could ask another question, a guard suddenly bolted inside, nearly tearing through the paper of the door as he barrelled in. "Lady Yuki! Another gaijin is here! It is the same as that man before you!"

Yuki suddenly shot up, rushing to her side. "They must have snuck in when we left the bridge. Apprehend them at once!"

"Wait a moment!" Before she could leave, I put my body before the door. "Don't arrest her! She's not tainted!"

"Her?" Yuki blinked. "A friend of yours, then?"

"It's a bit more complicated than that," I admitted, trailing off as I heard a commotion just outside.

The sound of battle was clear in the air, and judging by the grunts of exertion I heard from the many stallions, it was one that they were very clearly losing. Not long after, the ruckus drew near, and before the guard could call out a warning, everyone else was bowled over with tremendous force. The ensuing chaos of bodies and voices cleared out in mere moments.

And standing at the doorway, as I'd predicted, was Megan, unwinded and proud as she looked upon us.

"My oh my, Yuki," she groaned, stretching herself out. "Has your military softened, or has it just been so long since they've had a tangle with the likes of me?"

The empress looked on with amazement. Not exactly the look of someone after recognizing a long-forgotten friend, but more of disbelief that said friend was still as well off as they last recalled. One look at her legs told me she was halfway through the motion of running to embrace her, but her hooves never moved any direction but up and down. She shook her head several times, still uncertain as to what she was seeing. And yet, as the object of her disbelief drew closer, she was forced to accept what she was seeing.

"You're still alive."

Megan rounded her shoulders as she bowed before Yuki. "You don't get to be a legend like me without learning how to keep yourself going." Her eyes scanned the room, stopping on me. "And what, pray tell, has led to you meeting my progeny?"

Before she could express her further amazement, I stood up, scratching my head and telling her, "It's a bit of a long story. One I've not gotten all the details of yet." On that note, the two of us shared a brief embrace. "I only hope she's not been completely worn out through having to clear a path through your men."

Yuki remained silent for a moment, still processing what all had just happened in that short frame of time. She hummed and hawed to herself, leveling her hoof in a literal display of weighing her options and whispering to Chiyo as she did. Eventually, with a resolute turn to us, she spoke once more.

"This changes our odds considerably," she realized. "Having one of your kind alive was one thing. To have the queen, on the other hand...that presents us with a golden opportunity." She stamped her hoof authoritatively. "Henceforth, Lance, you and Megan—along with your mentor and Chiyo—shall make way for the Caverns of Reflection. Blocking the way is a great waterfall. You will know where it is, as it is one of the few waterfalls that flows strongly and cleanly. When you near the mouth, you are to make your preparations and enter at your leisure."

Kenta's ears drooped a little. "And what of these youkai you mentioned?" he worried. "Surely they won't let us reach it unmolested."

"You have no need to fear," Chiyo declared coldly as she approached me. "I am exceptionally skilled at seeing that which is unseen by naked eyes." She then brandished the blunt end of her blade at me playfully. "And I am equally adept at smiting those who would do me harm."

I tensed up, slowly easing the sword down with my hand. "I'll take you at your word." After a sigh of relief, I took to my crew. "Let's be off, then. I fear that mother's dynamic entry will need us to begone at once."

Chiyo huffed, taking point. "Follow me. Don't lag behind."

All of shivered as she passed, half in fear and half from the sudden change in the temperature as she left the room. Before we followed the others, Spike leaned into me.

"Why do I get the feeling this next training thing is gonna be really tense?"

Comments ( 4 )

its been a while

8845455
That it has. But, I am appreciative of your patience. I only pray I can do multiple chapters in a year.

9041423
It's taken me quite some time to understand what the hell is this "Hand in Hoof" and when exactly I comment it :). And I don't really remember what exactly I commented because it happens two years ago.

More good

Login or register to comment