• Published 18th Mar 2013
  • 9,074 Views, 135 Comments

Hand in Hoof - AdamThePony



A human infant ends up in Equestria, raised by the royal family for his own protection.

  • ...
29
 135
 9,074

Chapter 12: All Natural

Chapter 12: All Natural

At this point, I was almost certain that the universe was on a continued campaign to expose me at any opportunity it could.

In case it hasn’t been very clearly established, I never was one to cavort around uncovered unless it was in a place in which such things were a necessity. Perhaps it was the fault of my upbringing, or maybe just an extension of my own fear of exposure. I wasn’t quite sure by this point, yet here I was, yet again bereft of clothing, made to hold a pose by my newly-acquired Zebra acquaintance, while at the same time having to grin and bear the snickering of my peers.

I swear, my skin must have flushed a shade of tan not typically found in nature.

“Is there any particular reason that I need to be completely exposed for this?” I mumbled, fighting my own instinct to immediately plaster my hands over my loins right then and there. “I’m pretty sure we could just do this without having to strip me down straight away.”

Nia didn’t answer at first, simply doing slow, careful movements as she stood on her hind legs. Only after performing a hoof spring did she turn to face me.

“The first step to gaining a connection to the elements is to remove any potential barriers between them,” she explained, walking over to me to help direct my movements. “Clothing as intricate and tight as yours may tamper with the flow of your natural energies.”

I could hear Napalm scoff. “Whatever the reason is, I don’t mind the view!”

Stars above damn that mare. It was already fairly uncomfortable being out in the open, but knowing one of them was already getting a kick out of it only served as salt in the metaphorical wound. Granted, I’m not exactly ashamed of my body, but having it on display like this still wasn’t a concept I was entirely content on entertaining.

Regardless, I had to follow through, pushing back my instinct to just tear off into the woods and get dressed and trying to enjoy the exercise of opening up my chakras.

My own nudity aside, there was a certain beauty in the forest we’d occupied. We made leave of the temple some hours before, and from the mountain, that lush, verdant green had a certain allure to it. Such virgin soil and abundance of life made this place seem…comforting. Safe, even. And yet, as I began to ponder it, I then realized that very same abundance of life also logically meant that my audience was much larger than initially perceived. Such realization quickly took the wind from my sails of curiosity and forced an anchor of anxiety to grab a hold of me.

Such thoughts weren’t exactly helped by the fact I was being looked upon by a pyromaniac, a washed-up jackass, and a dragon that was several years (and inches) my senior.

“You know, now that I have a good enough look at you, you don’t have the looks of a devil,” Roughshod mused. “You seem more of a dead-ringer for something of fey origin.”

“I’m afraid I’m not familiar,” I replied, my eyes more focused on trying to match the mystic’s form than my own body. “But I’m going to go ahead and assume that’s some form of improvement.”

“I’d certainly say so!”

All five of us proceeded to jump out of our skins as we were greeted with the countenance of a goat-headed...thing that had suddenly joined our company, clad in what appeared to be a chef’s attire. In his incongruent grasp was a mound of clay, that he was somehow sculpting with a frying pan that was glowing red hot.

“What the hay are you doing here?!” I asked, finally breaking down into full humiliation mode. “Shouldn’t you be in Ponyville?!”

The strange creature huffed. “Well, shouldn’t you be wearing pants?”

I shot a glare. I had hoped in vain that by concentrating my shame and anger into a single point, I might be able to cause this anomaly against all things orderly and pure to catch fire. Sadly, I was not yet at that level of arcane understanding.

“I was just minding my own business when I saw a delightful shade of brown amongst the green and I just had to investigate,” the creature explained, sloughing off another layer of clay which somehow shattered like a glass plate. “When I got a good luck, I just had to capture that magnificent form in clay!”

Oh good, how very flattering. This thing was so fascinated by my nakedness that he was now trying to make a replica of me.

“And you aren’t worried that somepony is going to notice that a draconequus like you is so far away from home?” Spike snappily asked.

“Not at all!” the confirmed-draconic creature replied, carving in a new detail into his mound of clay. “I’ll have this done post-haste, and I’ll be back to—”

Before he could finish, the draconequus inadvertently sloughed away a significant portion of the clay, which proceeded to plop onto the forest floor and crack like an egg.

“Oops,” he said, before producing a tripod camera from what appeared to be absolutely nowhere. “Oh well. Guess I’ll just have to use a picture instead.”

Before I could even protest, a bright flash and a scent of magnesium greeted me. A slip soon came out, and as he examined it, he appeared to swoon.

“Oh, how exquisite!” he called out, kissing the photograph. “Now I have just the thing I need to make this!”

Further compounding all rules of logic and nature, a giant pillar of marble crashed forth from the heavens, just inches away from my feet. After a quick inspection, he produced what appeared to be a jackhammer and went to town. With a hail of falling stone and a mist of dust, I was greeted with a replica of myself in a more inquisitive pose.

“Magnifique, non?” he asked, blowing an imaginary kiss. “I was thinking I’d capture more of an ‘Ancient Fertility Figure’ kind of look. What do you think, my dear boy Lance?”

“I think you’re a pervert and that I should take this thing and bash it over your head,” I replied crossly. “How do you even know my name?”

“You said it yourself, kid.” he replied. “You mentioned I should be back in Ponyville, and as it was, I happened to be in the audience when your mummy showed you off to the town.”

I blinked. Had I really not noticed this thing amongst the crowd?

“But, since we hadn’t had a proper introduction, I suppose I’ll introduce myself,” the draconequus said with a smile somewhat sincere. “I am Discord, master of chaos, aspiring performance artist, and bane of space-faring captains for over two millennia.”

At this point, I wasn’t exactly sold on his first impression. In fact, the way in which he introduced himself made me ever more wary.

“Now that we’re acquainted, I believe there's a nice spot in the royal statue garden for this lovely little masterwork," Discord proclaimed before opening a previously-unseen zipper in the air.

"Wait, what?!"

Before I could get a word in edgewise, however, he was gone. I was rendered speechless for a few moments as I slumped onto the ground in embarrassment. In my woe, I made a mental note to cave that bastard’s nose in the next time we met.

“Well, that was awkward,” Spike noted. “At least he managed to capture your good looks pretty well.”

I glowered to Spike. “Not the time.”

Spike cringed, easing away.

I had a feeling this day was only going to get more awkward.

***

As the day proceeded, even with the audience being reduced to myself and Nia, I couldn’t avoid that nagging feeling of exposure. I tried to follow Nia’s motions, but with each step, turn, pivot, and kick, my body seemed to continually rescind its actions. My mind kept trying to cover me, bringing my limbs to my private parts while my body wished to keep itself unbound and follow through. What resulted was an uneasy tempo that trembled with each step.

Nia was quick to notice, and promptly stopped me.

“Is something the matter?” she asked, examining my movements closer. “Chills? Fever?”

I shook my head.

“Still not quite comfortable?”

I slumped a tad, sitting down with a shudder.

“If there is something wrong, Lance, you’re free to tell me,” the zebra assured, sitting with me bearing a look of concern in her eyes. “As a mare of spiritual inclination, I am obligated to help lift the hearts of all I am with.”

I looked into her amber gaze. “You’re sure you want to hear it?”

Nia brought her ears forward.

I sighed, changing my position to one of crossed legs.

“I guess I’ll just be blunt,” I began, barely making eye contact as I stared at the dirt beneath me. “I’m not sure I feel entirely safe right now.”

“Why not?” she asked.

“I'm not sure I feel all that comfortable practicing some esoteric arts naked in front of a pyromaniac, a wrinkly jackass, a trio of shapeshifters, a dragon many years my senior, and a mystical waif I only just met a few hours ago,” I explained, my cross feelings from earlier returning anew. “Not to mention all the animals that are doubtlessly stalking the woods as we speak. I’m honestly not sure how you lot can be so carefree about it.”

The zebra put a hoof to her chin.

“So you are curious as to why it is the lot of us are less perturbed by a lack of clothing?"

I kept quiet, tucking myself close.

"There is a difference in thought between us, it seems,” she began simply, joining me at my side. “Most of this world's kin are ever content with their bodies being exposed for all to see. To most of us, clothing is merely a ceremonial or ornamental thing, like the robes you saw me wear.

"But you...you must have some fear. You may not know the origin, but we have all experienced it; that fear of our weakest points being on display for all to see, for any to exploit. That feeling as if eyes are all about your person, even when you are truly safe. Even on the warmest summer, you can't seem to bear parting with your garbs.

"Though we both detest the winter, and shelter ourselves in furs and blankets to keep warm, most of the world shrugs away such garments by the spring. For us, it is a novelty and desire, and yet you seem to depend on it.

"In the end, I suppose it can be summarized into a single question: Are you afraid? There is no shame in admitting you're scared, but I implore you to be honest. Put your faith and trust in me, and in the earth and sky. In the end, they will always protect you."

I turned to make eye contact to the zebra, who bore a kind expression on her face. My lips quivered as I tried to find an answer, only to just sort of mumble incoherently. It took me a few tries before I actually found myself able to work up the bravado to speak clearly.

“I guess there’s no real other way to put it, is there?” I sighed. “My mind keeps telling me I shouldn’t leave myself like this, but my body spurs me to keep on going. I can’t find a middle ground, and it scares me. Having so many eyes on me...watching and judging… It just makes me want to vanish.”

The zebra’s smile persisted as she snuggled me.

“It’s okay to be scared; it can be a little frightening the first time you let your defenses down,” she assured, rubbing my back tenderly. “But what matters is that you have faith and believe that you will be safe. Put your trust in your companions, and in the spirits of this place.”

I accepted the embrace more readily and began to stand.

“You’re sure about this?” I asked.

“Cross my heart,” she promised, joining me. “Now shall we resume? I believe there’s a river nearby.”

“How do you know that?”

Nia chuckled and scraped the ground with her hoof.

“My kin are adept at dowsing water,” she explained as she dug up a small hole. “We can find sources by pawing at the ground.”

I nodded in understanding and proceeded to follow her. I was still nervous, but I kept thinking of what Nia said, finding ways to distract my mind away from the metaphorical pachyderm in the living room.

Soon enough, a moderate expanse of water streamed before my toes. My eyes gazed upon its breadth and my jaw dropped. The way that the rocks dotted across the water glistened with seafoam seemed to catch my eyes in a way I hadn’t experienced in a long while. The bubbling of the current against the shallow shore created a soothing song that harmonized with the errant cries of various birds that were doubtlessly standing sentinel over us. The two of us bowed before the river and took a quick sample of the water, our thirsts briefly slaked.

“Beautiful, is it not?” Nia asked, running her hoof against the current. “To think that such a simple thing as this could be the key to life for most every being on this planet. To know it is such a mercurial, ever-changing force that can sustain life through its many forms. The life-giving air that we breathe, the thrist-quenching fluid that we drink, and the soothing frost that allows us to endure the warmest of days with ease.

“That is the element of water in its purest essence; a freely changing energy that can be as soft or as rigid as it needs to be. A calm, yet fierce power that is the keystone towards all life on this planet. Water is freedom. Liberation. Life. To understand water is to understand life.

“The blood in your veins right this moment—thick as it may be—is much like water. It can boil and freeze, flow fast or slow. It is able to be controlled, and it is full of energy. Thus, the key to unlocking your innermost power is to master the flow of that energy and learn to control it for yourself. And the first step to understanding the element of water is to experience and respect it first-hoof.”

With this, the zebra offered me her hoof and guided me into the river with her. As water sprayed against my ankles, a shiver carried up my spine that left me numb for but a fleeting moment. Carefully, the two of us found a footing on the rocks. Stretching outward, our backs caught the rays of an approaching noon sun. Our joints began to pop as we began to limber up, the cool breeze passing through us.

“Make your motions slow and steady,” she instructed, standing up on her hind legs as she began to push at the air with her front hooves. “Act as though you’re trying to push forward an invisible wall and move like the current beneath us.”

I nodded, crooking one of my knees to better balance myself as I brought my palms together. With a slow breath, I brought them to my chest, as if I were trying to seize some of the bountiful energy for myself. Then, with a slow exhale, I pushed outward, exerting a steady force against the wind.

“That’s the way,” Nia encouraged. “Take in a little at a time. Nice and gentle.”

From there, we began something of a slow waltz across the river, our bodies beginning to make a slow stride in the direction of the current. Our sights flipped between the water ahead of us and each other, the both of us trying to emulate the other’s motions in an improvised dance. Eventually, the rocks gave way to cool water, causing a stinging in our legs as the scratched portions of our feet and hooves descended beneath the surface. In the random symphony of nature, we continued to dance in the river, our bodies circling and sweeping in a an almost childlike display of joy.

In I fell into a reverie, the passion of youth guiding my steps as our pugilistic pageantry paraded ever onward.

However, in our excitement, we’d failed to take stock of the fact that we were headed in the direction of a lake at the mouth of the river until we had found ourselves neck-deep in it.

Funny how sobering it can be to feel the ground beneath you suddenly end.

The two of us found ourselves in an impromptu dive, our bodies now descending into the drink. I admit, I’m not the best swimmer in the world, but I’d sure as hay like to see you try and bounce back from dropping feet-first into a lake. Actually, no—don’t do that. You’d likely nearly kill yourself like I did.

The only reason I managed to survive was a combination of stupidly-high luck, the fact that I had an acquaintance nearby, and a sudden spark of crisis-divined inspiration.

Quickly, I brought my hands to my chest, holding inside my breast as much breath as I had left. Then, I drifted towards Nia, getting close enough that our backs were touching. When I felt my back give purchase to hers, I began to concentrate. As I hooked my arms with her forearms, I began to try and sort out the chaos in my head. I recalled the words Nia had used to guide me.

Take in a little at a time...Be gentle.

Carefully, I began to slowly release my stockpiled air, cupping my hands against the current of bubbles as one began to take hold between them. Then, gingerly, I began to spread it wide like a balloon, feeding a little bit of myself into it. A faint teal spark gathered around my hands, resulting in a teeny shimmer that my eyes could only barely make out in the water. In the periphery of my vision, iridescent, almost glass-like salmon began to brush against my ankles, and the glow in my hands seemed to refract off of them, causing the clear water to glow in a faint rainbow as the bubble expanded around our two bodies.

As it encapsulated us, the dull rumble of the water subsided substantially, and the two of us now lay on the lake floor, beholding the salmon as their bodies continued to shimmer in the sunlight. A brief, shallow gasp filled our lungs as we slowly began to rise back to the surface. A shower of multicolored lights dazzled us both, leaving us speechless until the bubble made its way to shore.

Quickly, we clambered along to the ground, panting as we rolled onto our backs to dry in the grass. As our eyes gazed upon the lake once more, it almost seemed to become a prismatic pond, its hue ever changing as we looked upon it in the myriad of different angles. Eventually, the colors faded, and the water was a simple sheen once more. The worst now behind us, we were now faced with the question that pried at our minds.

“How is it that you did that?”

I looked again to my hands, seeing that faint glimmer of arcane magic betwixt my fingers.

“I…” I stammered, still trying to compose myself. “I don’t know. We were in trouble, and something in me just clicked.”

“Clicked?” Nia asked. “Surely, it cannot be so simple. The spell itself, certainly, but weaving something like what you conjured takes more skill than you’d think.”

I paused a moment. There was little I could say to try and make sense of such a spontaneous event.

“I guess it just...came to me.” I replied. “I’m not sure how much better I can explain it than that, right now.”

Nia gave me a curious look, studying my hands with her hooves for a moment.

“I suppose you’re right,” she sighed as we helped each other to our feet. “Oftentimes, in panic, we find ourselves capable of so much more than we are aware. I am sure in time, we will be able to deduce how you managed such a feat.”

Our looks turned back to the lake, and the shimmering fish within. Nia saw an opportunity and began to snap a few errant branches and vinery from the trees near by to fashion into a set of makeshift fishing rods.

“I suppose, while we are here, we may catch some fish for dinner,” she proposed.

I cocked an eyebrow. “You eat fish?”

“Not I,” Nia replied. “But, I’m certain that you and your dragon friend might have an appetite for them. You certainly have the teeth for them.”

“And you’re okay with killing another animal just to feed a few of us?” I asked, uncertain as I held my stomach. “Seems kind of...grim, don’t you think?”

Nia looked to me with a sincere expression.

“You’ve nothing to worry about,” She told me. “We’ll only be taking what will be needed to feed the two of you; the rest will be berries and nuts.”

“And the fish?”

“They will return,” Nia assured. “So long as we leave enough of them behind, they will replenish what was lost. As goes the circle of life.”

I contemplated asking a follow-up question, but decided against it. It was best not to dwell on these things too much.

“Once we have our catch, we’ll continue training,” she continued. “We may not be fortunate to replicate the conditions of that spell you cast, but we may yet work towards finding the intricacies of it.”

And so, the two of us sat at the shore, makeshift rods in our hands as we awaited our catch. The water rippled and bubbled slightly, and my hands trembled slightly. My legs were crossed like a pretzel as I watched the string shudder. I felt it being tugged, and in impulse, tugged back. In response, I found myself being yanked slightly off of my perch. I found myself returning to a stand and began to contest the force that now resisted my capture.

“Something’s on the line already?” Nia asked. “I didn’t think we’d get a bite so soon.”

“You and me both,” I grunted, planting my feet as I reared back back in defiance of my quarry.

With each twist and yank, I reciprocated, trying to predict where it would go next. Like a serpent, the string left a trail of ripples in its wake as it danced beneath the surface. I knew not what force grasped the end, but with ever greater fervor, I sought to overpower it. Even as my heels were dragging in the dirt and my footing was fading fast, I didn’t want to let go of the trembling piece of wood that was clamped in my vice-like grip.

I can’t let it go, I thought, fighting to regain my stance with each second. It’s challenged me now. To quit now would be a heresy to myself and to my prey.

Soon, I found myself running along the bank, not once taking my eyes off my quarry. This tease of a fish was not getting away from me if I had a say in it. I was determined to seize it for myself, come Tartarus or high tide. I cared not where it was taking me, so long as I could make it mine. All that stood between myself and that goal was the shallow road of water just inches at my feet and the string the fish had gripped in its mouth.

As it pulled me along, I found myself running ahead, overtaking my prey and leading it along as if I were its master. Perhaps through outpacing it, I pondered, I might be able to overpower it.

Quickly, I yanked the rod upward, lashing it towards me in an effort to rip out clean out of the water. For a brief instant, the water thrashes as a blinding light flashed before my eyes. The glimmer of a clear, prismatic shape caused my fervent gaze to falter, forcing me to place my forearm against my brow to shield it.

However, in so doing, my traction was halved rather sharply, and the fish must have known this. Hastily, it darted back from whence it came, taking me along with it.

Before my brain could even register it had happened, my body began to scrape along the river floor. A stinging, burning sensation tore at my senses, my eyes clamped shut as I continued to hang on dearly to the fishing rod. In my panic, I wasn’t able to figure out how to do the bubble spell a second time. The fish had turned the tables against me, and was now somehow towing me along the current. I could vaguely hear the muffled cries of Nia amidst the rushing water flow, but they were too difficult to discern. Not that it mattered at the moment, seeing as I was adrift.

I attempted to wrap my hands further up the pole, hoping to at least try and curtail the crystalline carp’s locomotion. However, as it became more aware of this, it began to pick up its pace, making the task wholly more difficult. Having to work with my eyes shut wasn’t helping matters, either. I wasn’t going to allow this thing to beat me, of course. I was determined to get this fish, and not a damn thing was going to get in my way.

I clawed my way up the rod, grabbing the string with crab-like fervor. In response, the fish began to juke and thrash, hoping to throw me off before I could seize it in my hand. It would have no such luck, however; I was growing closer, and I wasn’t going to be shrugged off so easily. Just as it was trying its hardest to flee, I was trying equally hard to seize the fish. The two of us were within one step of each other’s goals, and it was down to the final motion to decide which of us was going to be the victor.

With a final thrust forward, I snatched the fish into my grasp. I clamped my fingers around its scaly hide and held it tight as I could muster. I could feel my nails digging into the fish’s scales ever so slightly between the wriggling hide, and I relished a moment of brief victory.

Of course, as my luck would have it, I would not be so lucky to enjoy this success for very long before I became more aware that the ground beneath me was getting ever shorter. Out of instinct, I let the rod drift downstream, keeping the fish in my hands and near my chest as I prepared to see what was to come.

What came before me was a waterfall, which I proceeded to fall from.

A rushing, whistling noise whizzed past my ears. The cool winds lashed at my body like hundreds of tiny, wispy whips. My body loosened and my hands tightened their grasp on my catch. Somehow, while my heart raced on, my mind was clear, calm, almost serene. Perhaps it was merely the adrenaline rushing to my head, or just the blood flooding into my brain. Either way, I savored my success for those brief few moments in which I was still conscious; knowing I had won out in one of my first true contests against nature was enough for me to rest on.

I kept my eyes shut, and my other senses soon followed as I embraced the calm of my subconscious.

***

When next I knew relative consciousness, I found myself lying on what felt like a mossy stone. A cool breeze danced across my body, and I found myself staring into the familiar visage of that child who’d so cryptically left me behind an evening ago. He was clad in a simple plaid robe, and seemed hunched over my body. A smile crept along his face as he offered a hand to help me up.

“Thank goodness you are well,” he said in a sincere tone. “I was almost certain that you’d met a terrible fate.”

Confused, I accepted his help and got to my feet again.

“I’m sorry for leaving you so soon,” he murmured, a disappointed look on his face. “It was rude of me to depart without even telling you my name.”

“You didn’t exactly give me a chance to introduce myself, either,” I replied, dusting myself off, noticing I was now clad in a pale, silken tunic. “My name is Lance, son of Princess Celestia. If I’m not mistaken, it’s my brain you’re occupying at the moment.”

“Sorry to intrude,” the boy chuckled, holding out his hand. “Call me Iando.”

“Certainly,” I scoffed. “But let’s move on from formalities, shall we? I may not be an unfriendly type, but I’m not exactly one for unexpected company, especially when said company is as motley as yourself.”

Iando grimaced. “Well, that’s an awfully ignoble way to greet a guest. Especially one who has done you such a courtesy and provided you with some finery.”

I crossed my arms. “As befitting a guest who arrived unannounced.”

Iando replied by nervously gripping his right arm. “I didn’t exactly have a choice; I was in a panic, and needed a place I could feel safe and comfortable.”

“Consider yourself lucky, then,” I sighed. “At the moment, I don’t have much option but to keep tabs on you.”

Iando snickered. “You make it out like it’s a bad thing.”

I quirked my brow. “Implying it can be worse?”

“Well, think of it this way,” he suggested, sitting down. “While we’re together, I can keep you company. Think of me as companion. A...provider. A guardian, if you will. I think we might be able to help each other out.”

“And just what makes you think I’ll trust you?”

“You said it yourself, Lance. Neither of us has a choice in this, so either we can get through this together, or we can just pretend we don’t exist and doom each other to eternal boredom.”

“Truth be told, I think I’d rather have the latter,” I growled. “Then again, better the devil you know.”

Iando smiled. “That’s the spirit. Don’t you worry; you won’t even know I’m here.”

“I should hope so.”

Following that altercation, I decided to have a walk in my subconscious domain. Anything to keep from countenancing that odd little stranger who I was now cursed with having to chaperone. Unlike the last time I was here, there was no elaborate hotel or divine tower in my sights, but an ever expanding void dimly illuminated by tiny motes of light no larger than fireflies. They were perhaps my only company along my walk, aside from a few vague flickers of a slightly lighter shade.

I stopped for a moment, trying to follow that shade with my eyes. However, as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone, leaving me alone and confused.

That was, until I felt a brush against my shoulder.

In reflex, I turned around, greeted by the visage of Princess Luna.

“Apologies for sneaking up on you, Nephew,” Aunt Luna said formally. “I could not help but notice that you were meandering in your subconscious.”

“Anywhere I can be alone with my own thoughts is fine by me,” I responded, looking behind me. “As nice as that child—whom I’ve got a hunch is a manifestation of the Nightmare in me—is, I don’t feel very comfortable holding a conversation with him.”

Aunt Luna nodded. “Aye; it can be troublesome to deal with such trying creatures. The best you can do for now is grin and bear it.”

I groaned internally.

“Or,” she added. “I can help you gain an edge over your captive guest.”

I looked to Luna curiously, crossing my arms. “Go on.”

Aunt Luna looked about her surroundings, as if to confirm that we were not being eavesdropped upon, before flicking up her horn and spiriting us away to what appeared to be a room in a similar pattern to the Midnight Lounge. Surrounding us were coolly lit shelves lined with dark tomes and texts.

“I would imagine it is not a distant stretch to assume that most Nightmares are creatures of shadows and fear,” she began, pulling out a large black book. “They are beings whose sustenance lies in probing the depths of our psyches. They worm their way inside, finding what it is that makes us cringe and cower, and exploiting them to the point where their unfortunate host grows too weak to resist. They will cajole and pester you into subjugation, preying upon your most primal fears and desires.

“Then, when you are at your weakest, they will offer you a taste of power. Even if you refuse, a Nightmare is not one to take ‘no’ for an answer. They will ask time and again, sweetening the faustian bargain ever more with each passing offer.”

Luna paused, looking down at what was assumed to be the floor. “Eventually, they will tire of waiting for your approval, and decide to make the offer irrefusable.”

I gulped down a rather large knot in my throat. After a brief moment of silence, Luna looked to me in a manner more direct.

“Though, at the moment, we lack a means to properly remove this apparition from your mind—primarily due to the only surefire means of doing so currently the only thing keeping an equally-troubling threat to our home at bay—we do have a means of coping with this predicament of yours until such a means can be found.”

A hopeful smile graced my face. “And that might be?”

Luna placed a fairly large book at my feet. It was at least the size of a historical textbook, bound by a hardcover made of what looked to be black velvet, with several scintillae of dust stained across its surface. Embossed upon its front cover was a circular arrangement of the lunar cycle that surrounded an arcane pentacle. What could be assumed were a title and some symbolic words, but they were printed in an odd typeface. An eerie air seemed to form around it, beckoning a chilling wind where we stood.

The smile began to melt away rather quickly.

“This is a Book of Shadows,” she explained, placing a hoof upon the book and flipping open the front cover. “It is a sacred text that has been upheld by a brave few mares and stallions, and holds the secrets to an art not easily practiced by the faint of heart.”

“Necromancy?” I quipped, shivering a tad.

Luna gave me a cross look. “Of course not! I may deal in arts dark and mysterious, but even I have standards.”

“Well, what else could be in something called a ‘Book of Shadows’?

Luna smirked. “The art of Umbramancy.”

“Shadow magic?” I asked. “How is that any less suspicious than raising the dead?”

Aunt Luna kept her smile and took my side.

“In times of yore, as a young celestial matriarch, my dominion was much more vast than the mere command of a giant orb in the sky and acting as the warden of dreams,” she explained, pointing me up to the sky. “I commanded stars. I wove the night sky and all its shadows into an elegant tapestry that dazzled my patrons. I created paths and roads in the constellations for travelers to follow. I created patterns that gave hope and inspiration to many. And when my subjects needed peace of mind and body, in my shadow they would find comfort.

“Eventually, I’d come to amass a respectable following. Ponies near and far came to me for guidance and understanding. They came to me, not in fear, but in curiosity. They wanted to better understand the splendor of the silent, sacred darkness. So thusly, I obliged, showing my curious companion the ways of shadows. Through my teachings, we formed a philosophy together. In this philosophy, we defined a series of words to guide followers current, past, and future.”

“What would these words be?” I asked, now genuinely intrigued.

“There are but five words that persist to our art to this day: Truth, Temperance, Conviction, Eminence, and Serenity,” Luna explained. “As a Shadow Mage, it is your duty to come to an understanding on their meaning as you go along your journey, as your trials take you further across the moonless path. Once you come to a true understanding of the shadows, you will find they can divine many things for you.”

I held my chin, curious. “So you mean to tell me that this form of magic could actually help me better how to perform magic?”

Luna smiled. “Precisely. It is a magic that will help you understand the language of spirits, and the ways in which coordination aids your casting. Its abilities will support you and yours, and have many applications that may come as useful to you. When you awake, you should find the book I’ve shown you near your person. May it serve you well, and I should hope to hear good word of your progress in the future.”

I sat up, wrapping my arms around my aunt’s neck.

“I understand, Aunt Luna,” I whispered into her ear. “I shall not fail you.”

“I should certainly hope not,” Luna chuckled as she began to turn away to make her leave of me. “Before I away, I have one last bit of information you should be privy to.”

My eyes darted upward. “What might that be?”

“I can feel another presence here, existing alongside the two of us and your...guest,” she said, her voice a bit pensive. “It feels similar to the presence I felt during our last altercation. It seems…familiar, both to your own presence, and to the presence of someone of significantly untapped potential.”

I thought back to our last meeting. Beyond the presence of the spirit whom I would later meet as Megan, I did feel someone else in my harrowing encounter with the Nightmare. It was a faint whisper, warm and calming in its inflections.

“Have you been able to place it?”

Aunt Luna shook her head. “I have seen a fair amount of glimpses, but like a firefly, each glimpse is ever ephemeral. I have not been able to see it for long enough to give you any conclusive evidence.”

“So what is to be done?” I wondered, looking about.

“Seek it out yourself, of course,” Luna replied, rubbing my head in a gesture of affection. “You should follow the lights which resemble fireflies. At the moment, this presence is rather underdeveloped and immature. However, I feel that if you interact with it more, it may reveal more of itself to you.”

“I see,” I murmured. “So you think this thing may have some connection to me or something like that?”

Luna nodded. “The feeling it gave me reminds me much of you.”

Part of me felt slightly uneased by that comment.

“I’ll see what I can do."

Luna nodded, and proceeded along her way. As she was about to leave me, a thought struck.

"Wait, if you're here, then what is Celestia doing right now with that statue?"

Luna glanced to the side. "Well..."

***

I did not know what I was looking upon. Of all the statues that had graced my royal garden, this one was by far the oddest one of all. Among all the statues of famous figures both fictional and actual, the latest addition was by far the oddest one of all. Standing sentinel proudly above them all was a great colossus devoted to my son. Carved from marble and clad in nothing but virile pride, its design all but baffled my senses.

Any words I could’ve used to express my opinion slurred away into an indecipherable mush of nonsense. My eyes were halfway between befuddlement and awe. My nose caught the mustiest draft. A strange saltiness gathered on my tongue.

And then, my concentration—or rather, the bewildered lack thereof—was broken by a giggle.

“I take it you might need a second opinion?” asked a familiar voice from afar.

I quickly wheeled around to greet none other than Twilight Sparkle. For a while, I had considered her to be family, but lately, I had sensed a spark of something new. I had felt she’d been growing ever closer and fonder to me, even now. The way in which she regarded me on this day only served to make that connection ever more tangible.

“Twilight,” I stammered, taken a bit by surprise. “I hadn’t expected your visit.”

Twilight tittered. “I came to see if I could help in the research efforts concerning Lance’s origins. Judging by the large statue behind you and that look on your face, I guess I came at a not-so-good time.”

"Twilight! What an unexpected surprise! How have the studies on Lance been going? I hope you have been well..." I sputtered, now in a rather unbecoming state.

“Relax, Celestia. I’m not going to judge,” Twilight assured. “If anything, I think it captures his likeness very well.”

I heaved a sigh of relief as a green plume of smoke whirled in front of me.

“Ah, that must be from him now!” Twilight chirped, smiling. “Why don’t you we see to that, then we start working a bit more closely on the matter?”

“Right, right,” I chuckled nervously. “Let’s see what we have here.”

***

Dearest Mother,

Today was...awkward, to say the least. Though it was a learning experience, I felt like I’ve really had to step out of my comfort zone more than I’d like to. Even as we speak, I’m trying smoked crystal salmon.

We’ve made camp in the woods near Neighagra Falls, and from the looks of it, we’re but a stone’s throw from both Manehattan and Fillydelphia. We also have noticed there’s stirrings of a potential township to the south. We don’t know if there’s any kind of civilization there, but I feel it may be worth further looking into.

My magical training is going… serviceably. I am unable to do much of significance, but through some miracle, I managed to put up a protective barrier up to protect myself and my teacher. I have plans to figure out how to repeat the process, as that may be of use to me in the future.

Perhaps as an aid, Princess Luna has sent me a guide to a more specific field of magic called Umbramancy. I have my reservations on whether or not it will be effective, but anything to help me come to grips with such a foreign art as this is appreciated.

I feel kind of sad having to eat this fish. While it was delicious, I can’t help but feel a pang of guilt from eating it. Should I be concerned at all? It’s not bad for me, is it? I hope it goes through me okay. I suppose as karma, I ended up taking a dive from a waterfall. Thank the stars Nia managed to pull me out of the water, but I've got cuts and scrapes all over me from my attempts to catch it. I'd like to think it was worth the effort.

In hindsight, I probably should have asked this upfront, but do you think Twilight may have some advice? After all, magic is her speciality. At this point, I feel some worthwhile insight may be in order.

Sorry that this letter is a bit threadbare for commentary. Today wasn’t much beyond trust exercises and such. Perhaps I should hold off on writing until I have some more worthwhile content to provide.

Before I end it, however, I’d like to make an addendum to my last letter. It seems that I am indeed not alone in my mind, as Luna has all but confirmed that I have a nightmare living inside my head. There’s also some more abstract presence that Luna claims is familiar to mine. I’ll try and report more on it in the future, but for now, the only thing I can say for sure is that it resembles fireflies.

Hopefully, my next letter should prove a bit more rich for details. For now, I’m just glad I had something to send to you, however little it was.

Until next time,



Lance

***

As Spike and I stood before the fire, he sniggered.

“What’s so funny?” I asked, partially gritting my teeth to bear the sting of powdered antiseptics.

“You’re sounding a lot like Twilight,” Spike said with half-sincere smile. “Always worried about the opinion of Her Royal Majesty for fear of failing her. Never wanting to approach her empty hooved. Never wanting to present anything less than your best.”

“Are you implying we’re alike?” I growled, unamused.

“Kind of,” he muttered, holding a head behind his back. “At least you never enchanted a doll to make everyone fight over it so you’d have a problem to fix.”

My eyes widened. “She actually did that?”

“Oh, yeah! It was crazy! Pretty much the whole town was in a frenzy!”

“All over not having a letter to send?”

“Pretty much,” Spike said with a shudder. “Twilight’s a really sensitive, neurotic type. She’s prone to freak outs, over-thinking, and just generally worrying more than she should be. I don’t know where she’d be right now if she didn’t have such great friends to keep her in check.”

I gave the idea a moments thought, and then proceeded to join Spike in cringing.

“Scary, huh?” Spike hummed. “The point is that you shouldn’t let a small problem turn into a bigger problem, and that you shouldn’t brush off a friend’s concerns, no matter how small they are.”

I looked down for a moment.

“In hindsight, I haven’t really gotten to know the others quite yet.” I sighed, looking towards the crackling flames. “Does that make me a bad friend?”

The others looked to me with a more genuine concern. Napalm was especially worried.

“You? A bad friend?” she asked, between looking at the fire and looking at me. “Don’t be so naive. Sure, first impressions between us weren’t exactly a rolling start, but it takes more than that to judge someone. At least, that’s the way I see it.”

Roughshod hung his head. His expression was solemn as he balanced on a cane. His eyes bore a glaze as he mumbled to himself.

“Something you want to say?” The queen asked, now in a more normal guise.

The old ass grumbled.

“I suppose if we are to atone for first impressions, now is as good a time as any,” he rumbled, looking up to me. “If it is still possible, I’d like to apologize for the insults I leveled against you. I was a drunk, embittered old jack who saw something too queer for his own eyes and made a knee-jerk assumption on it. From now on, I’ll try to keep to a name basis, if you’re willing to grant me that.”

I looked to the donkey, somewhat incredulous.

“Are you serious?” I asked, my eyes wide as tea saucers.

Roughshod nodded. “I swear on my honor as a great holy stallion.”

I cracked a small smile. “That’s… really considerate of you, Roughshod. Thank you.”

“Think nothing of it,” he grunted. “Consider it me making up for prior sins.”

The queen cooed for a moment. I wasn’t sure whether she was mocking the warmth of the situation or praising it.

“Ah, I can feel a warm flame igniting inside my heart,” the changeling queen sighed, as if the vibes we were generating had swept her away.

“It is rather pleasant, seeing a friendship being kindled,” Nia concurred with a smile. “It makes me yearn to be cuddled.”

Suddenly, in agreement, one of queen’s subordinates brushed against me like a kitten. Then, in short order, the others, to varying degrees of ease, joined into a somewhat intimate, friendly hug.

All except for Spike, who lurched over, holding his stomach.

“Ugh,” he groaned, seemingly in disgust. “I think I’m gonna be sick—HURP!”

Suddenly, Spike let out a large belch, a whirling green flame spiraling towards me as a scroll popped into existence into my lap. Tied by a golden ribbon and held together by the unmistakable wax seal of Canterlot royalty, it immediately beckoned my attention.

***

Dear Lance,

Today, Princess Celestia’s given me the opportunity to message you in pony, and I have to say, I think it’s great to see you’re getting into a habit of writing home every once in a while! It’s good to keep in touch when you’re far away. The princess wanted me to answer this time around on account of some more personal questions you’ve written out. Things between us have been going great, by the way.

On the matter of your diet, I’d say you don’t have much to worry about; seeing as Fluttershy caters to animals of many dietary archetypes, it’s not exactly a damnable act to fulfill your dietary needs. Not to mention, I kind of have experience with creatures not too dissimilar to yourself. They didn’t all subsist off of nuts, berries, and grains. After all, variety is important in a growing stallion’s diet.

As for your study of magic, I feel honored that you’d want to seek my advice so soon. I suppose it would be fitting to preface this by stating that, for most creatures who have the ability to use it, magic is a very personal force. Most ponyfolk—unicorns especially—are born with a very narrow arcane focus. Therefore, the first step is to figure out what your primary focus is. Assuming you’re like me, and have some type of pedigree that allows more broad study, this won’t exactly be an easy task.

That, I believe, is where Luna’s book will come in handy.

While most magic is mutually exclusive to one’s talents, arts such as Alchemy are widely considered to be called “hedge magic”. They’re traditionally arts that are learnable by most folk, so long as they fit a particular prerequisite. Speaking as somepony who pores over many a tome of eclectic, mystic lore—and as a teacher of arcane sciences to both an alchemically-savvy earth pony and aspiring unicorn—while these arts may require more intense study than the magic that comes naturally to you, having a more focused study may help augment your future research.

As for your...shall we say, guests in your head? At this moment, we currently don’t have many ways to deal with nightmares. With the Elements of Harmony now resigned to keeping the great Tree of Harmony, we have only have the magic of friendship to see us through. The only advice I can give to that end is that you treasure your traveling company and get as acquainted as you can with them and hope you can summon a miracle to get the nightmare out of you. As for the other presence, in the name of arcane science, I suggest you figure it out to the best of your ability. You may end up finding out more about yourself in the process.

If this is getting too long-winded for you, I'll try and summarize: No, you shouldn't worry about this fish you ate, so long as it isn't wholly intelligent and is a part of your natural diet. Magic is primarily a personal force, and you should try to find where your talent lies as you use a more eclectic art to hone your core skills. And lastly, be sure to become familiar with your friends, including the one that might be inside your head; they may see you through these troubling times.

Here's hoping my advice helps you while you make your way around Equestria and beyond.

Best Wishes,



Twilight



Author's Note:

On Nightmares (1): Most Nightmares have some identity to themselves. They are personae into and of themselves, and occaisonally even have genders and distinct appearances, when they choose to inhabit a host. It is unknown how they procreate. They often try to make a form that is appealing their host in order to better persuade them to a bargain.