• Published 6th May 2013
  • 11,173 Views, 471 Comments

Yet Another Human In Equestria Story - Bardic_Knowledge



Waking up in Equestria is a common plot for Brony fanfiction, but what if you woke up with practically nothing but what you knew and a set of pyjamas?

  • ...
60
 471
 11,173

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: May 2-3, Party of One

Yet Another Human in Equestria Story

By: Bardic Knowledge

Chapter 31: May 2-3, Party of One

Pinkie had gotten used to the way I acted at parties. She didn't understand, but she was used to it. I had a tendency to simply sit off to the side, watching everyone else and occasionally speaking up when I had something to add to a conversation, or when someone struck up a conversation with me. I would have a glass of drink and a plate with either food or crumbs on it, depending on how far into the party we were.

Anyways, it was Gummy's birthday party, and I was putting an only mildly faked smile on my face as Pinkie, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Trixie danced (Shy and Twi being flung into walls by Pinkie's exuberance). About a week and a half ago, only a few days after Winter Wrap-Up, Rarity gathered everyone but Pinkie to the Boutique to speak about arranging a surprise party for Pinkie.

(Flashback time!)

”It's not often we get to plan a party for Pinkie, after all,” said Rarity. “And considering her uncanny ability to find ponies when they don't want her to...”

“We'd need to be super careful about everything,” agreed Dash.

I took a deep breath. “I have a slightly prophetic objection.” That got everyone's attention. “You all know about my non-interference policy when it comes to this sort of thing, but this is one time I can't. Because this lesson would be learned from the pain of one of my friends. And I've learned enough empathy over the years that it would hurt me, too.”

“What are ya talkin' about? Why would a surprise party hurt Pinkie? She loves parties!” said AJ.

“The day before Pinkie's birthday, she's planning a birthday party for Gummy. She then plans to invite everyone to an after-birthday party for Gummy the next day. But with everyone busy making sure her surprise party is going to happen...”

“What?” asked Twilight. Apparently, she still didn't quite get it.

“Pinkie lives for others and making them happy through her parties. If she thinks no one's enjoying her parties, then one of her fundamental values is... broken. Which breaks her. And she goes a little nuts, too, replacing you with inanimate objects. Andrew Joshua Talon called it 'Cutie Mark Failure Insanity Syndrome.'”

That got a few curious looks.

“What's your plan, then?”

“Exclude me, and maybe Trixie if she's amenable, from your plans. We'll go to the after-birthday party while the rest of you work, keep her happy and distracted. Once you're done, send a letter or something to tell us so and we'll figure out a way to persuade Pinkie to your party.” There was a general murmur of assent, then the planning got fully under way.

(End Flashback!)

Gummy's birthday party was alright, the best part in my eyes being Rarity's spit-take on seeing Gummy in the punchbowl. I dined by the idea of “if it tastes good, but the ingredients are weird, eat it anyway because it still tastes good.” So, as long as Gummy was clean (which he usually was, because Pinkie is at least meticulous about that) the punch would be fine.

As we headed out the door, Applejack stumbled slightly, “Hoo-wee! I am beat! I haven't danced that much since... Well, since your last party. Thanks again for the invite!”

Dash waved to Gummy, who was just staring blankly into space. “See ya later, birthday alligator!”

Rarity looked back towards Pinkie, “Bravo for hosting yet another delightful soiree.”

“It's been lovely,” Fluttershy agreed.

Pinkie giggled, “You sure you don't wanna stay? There's still some cake left.”

Twilight, who was lagging behind slightly, answered, “Uh, I think I'm gonna pass. Great party though. We should do this again soon.”

As we continued away, I leaned over and whispered conspiratorially to Twilight, “Guess what? Tomorrow is soon.” As Twilight looked at me sardonically, I chuckled and walked away, following Trixie back home.

The next morning, I woke up to find an envelope on my chest. A glance at my door confirmed that it was still locked.

“Pinkie...” I muttered in exasperation. I had lost count of how many times I had told not to enter my room without my permission. Still, the note in the envelope confirmed that Pinkie was hosting Gummy's after-birthday party at three this afternoon (yes, this afternoon this afternoon). That gave me about an hour to get ready.

Even with all that time, I got dressed and checked to see if Trixie was awake. She was, and she confirmed that Pinkie had woken her when she visited. On top of that, she told Pinkie that we'd be able to make it. We were also her first stop, judging by her basket full of envelopes.

“All righty. The surprise party is planned for around three-thirty/four-ish, right? That means we'll have to distract Pinkie for at least an hour. I certainly hope my poor small-talk skills are up for it.”

“Don't worry too much about that,” Trixie said, patting me on the hand. “I have enough conversation for the both of us. I just have to keep things going until Spike sends us his flame-mail. It shouldn't be hard to entertain her or Gummy, even if that little alligator is... odd.”

I couldn't argue with that, so we went off to Pinkie's with fifteen minutes until we were supposed to be there. It was only a five-ish minute walk, but I liked to be early.

Pinkie greeted us with an extra-tight hug that made our ribs creak (and did some lovely chiropractic work on my spine). In fact, she seemed extra cheery, which is saying something when it comes to Pinkie Pie, being the Element of Laughter and all. That should have been my first clue.

Things went rather swimmingly. We sang “Happy Birthday Yesterday” to Gummy (a Pinkie Pie original composition), and Pinkie brought out the cake, punch, and snacks. As it was an after-birthday party, presents were not required, and we just dug right in to the food. Trixie did her best to keep up the small talk, while I chimed in every once in a while, sipping from my cup of punch.

I even demonstrated, upon Pinkie asking, how one could “play seashells” by attempting a ball-and-cup game (or whatever the game is called. The one with the three cups/shells/cards and you have to find the ball/right card), telling her to pretend the cups were seashells.

And the whole time, I didn't notice how strained Pinkie's smiles and laughs were.

Eventually, I went to get some more punch, only to find that we had apparently emptied it in the meantime. Pinkie immediately jumped to her hooves and offered to get more, dashing out of the room.

I glanced at my pocket watch. Quarter to four. “How much longer do you think they're going to take?” I asked Trixie. “I like eating well enough, but I can't take much more.”

Trixie glanced at my watch, too. “Give them another fifteen minutes, maybe. It needs to be perfect, and if Pinkie catches on-”

“If I catch on?” came a voice from behind the door. Which swung open to reveal Pinkie in all her Pinkamena “glory.” “I thought something suspicious was going on. Why would only you two be available to come to my party. Especially when Joe doesn't like parties. What about everyone else? I thought they loved my party yesterday. So why didn't they come?” her eyes grew big and teary. “Don't they love me anymore?” And without giving either of us a chance to answer, Pinkie vanished from the doorway.

“Continuous fire,” I muttered.

“What?” said a shell-shocked Trixie.

“Nevermind. Look, Twilight's been teaching you higher level spells, right?” She nodded. “Including teleportation?” She nodded again. “Then zap over to the barn and tell them things have gone wrong! Instant Transmission is the only thing that could possibly be faster than Pinkie in this situation.”

“But, what about you?”

“If you feel that you can carry me with you, then go ahead. Otherwise send Twi back to grab me as soon as you can.” I kissed her at the base of her horn. “Go.”

She snapped out of the minor stupor the closest thing to a first kiss between us had brought on her, then concentrated on a spell, popping away a few moments later. I brushed the soot off my coat and face, then hurried up the stairs to Pinkie's balcony.

Hopefully, I'd be able to see her if she's still somewhere in town. My attention was stolen by a rainbow contrail rising from Sweet Apple Acres, which quickly started buzzing the skies. And with a pop and flash of purple light, Twilight appeared in front of Pinkie's house. I rushed down to the front door to meet her.

“I see Dash is looking for her from the sky,” I said. “Do we have any way of narrowing down the search radius?”

“Not really, no. And since Pinkie isn't the only pink pony in Ponyville, she's got plenty of camouflage to make her way to wherever she's going.”

“Argh. Maybe you guys should have gone to the after-birthday thing while I did the errands. She said that she was suspicious because I'm not a party person and still decided to show up.” I shook my head. “Nevermind. Hindsight is twenty-twenty after all.”

While Dash was scanning in the air, Twilight and I (and the others, I presume) were looking everywhere at ground level. Even if Pinkie didn't have to stick to normal physics, we were going to cover all of our bases. I even asked some of the animals (squirrels and birds and the like) that were hanging around to help with the search, and to find Fluttershy if they found Pinkie.

Every animal in Ponyville knew Fluttershy, just as Pinkie knew every pony and non-pony resident.

That thought prompted me to ask the Ponyvillians if they had seen Pinkie. To my consternation, the answer was usually “no” or “not recently.”

Salvation came when a robin flew down in front of us, chirped a few times, and started guiding us through the streets, stopping every once in a while to make sure we were close behind.

We arrived at the Ponyville Train Station at the same time as everyone else. We rushed in as one big crowd and just barely managed to tackle-hug Pinkie from buying a ticket.

My everything was sore at that point.

Twilight then showed her magical prowess by casting a Mass Teleport that deposited the whole group back at the Sweet Apple Acres barn.

“Let me go!” cried Pinkie. “You don't want me anymore, so let me leave!”

“Pinkie, why do you think we don't want you?” asked Twilight.

“You sent Joe and Trixie to distract me just so you could do something behind my back, huh? I should have seen right through those flimsy excuses the moment you gave them!”

Especially Rarity's, I didn't say.

“And now you've brought me here to this farewell party, and I'm supposed to believe you don't want me?!”

“Pinkie,” I sighed. “This isn't a farewell party. You're so concerned with everyone else, you forgot about you.”

“And what's that supposed to mean?” she growled. I responded by patting her head.

“Happy Birthday, Pinks. This is your surprise party.”

Pinkie paused. Twitched. Then exploded with happiness and confetti (ow, my hand) as she started bouncing around the barn, before landing in the middle of the mini-herd and gathering us all into another rib-creaking hug.

“I'm so sorry I doubted you guys. Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

“We're your friends. And friends are always there for each other.”

“Wow, that was sappy,” snarked Twilight.

“I nicked it from Digimon: the Movie, so blame Bob Bucholtz, or Jeff Nimoy, or whoever it was that did the script. Anyways, we gots a party to enjoy!”

A party I spent sitting on a hay bale, digesting cake, while everyone else danced. I did have some ice cream, though.

There's always room for ice cream.

Author's Note:

I hit inspiration a few days ago, but kept getting distracted by participating in the Infinite Loops stuff. And now Fair Week is here, so I'll be a while on the next chapter, too. Also, I've gone back to the first chapter/prologue and did a little editing after realizing that Pinkie has her own house, and doesn't live on the second floor of Sugarcube Corner with the Cakes.

I've reached the Fifth Doctor, by the way. I'm gonna miss Four.

In other news, I'm playing Tomodachi Life (curse you Zoey Proasheck for bringing it to my attention!). Half my tenets are The Doctor and the other half are Mii-ified Ponies, most of which are dating Doctors (the main exceptions being Trixie married to Doctor Whooves, which is barely one, and Big Mac dating Princess Luna, which is terribly amusing).

For the heck of it, I've snuck in a reference I'm wondering if anyone will get. It's a multi-lingual one, though the other language is fictional.

Next chapter is already partly written and it's a gaming chapter!

Or is it...?

PreviousChapters Next