• Published 6th May 2013
  • 11,173 Views, 471 Comments

Yet Another Human In Equestria Story - Bardic_Knowledge



Waking up in Equestria is a common plot for Brony fanfiction, but what if you woke up with practically nothing but what you knew and a set of pyjamas?

  • ...
60
 471
 11,173

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: November 20, The Moons of Mirrodin

Yet Another Human in Equestria Story

By: Bardic Knowledge

Chapter 25: November 20, The Moons of Mirrodin

Our gaming group sat down in the library's side room, as we had the first time we got together. It seemed that whenever we tried to meet up elsewhere, well...

“And we still don't know why those timberwolves were in the middle of town?” asked Spike. “Those things freak me out.”

“Spike,” I groaned. “They're made of wood, it's in their name. You could probably set them on fire.”

“Actually,” added Trixie, “they're pretty fire resistant. Had to fight some off once.”

“Life on the road, huh?”

“Indeed.”

Dash chuckled. “And let's not forget the rabid fanmare.” Trixie glowered as Pinkie and Spike joined Dash in laughing. I just facepalmed.

“How- how far did she go flying again?” asked Spike.

“A mile, at least!” Dash spread her hooves like she was approximating the distance. “It's a good thing she was a pegasus or that would've hurt!”

“Look, can we just get to gaming, please?” I asked. Everyone calmed down and looked to me as I pulled out my notes. “Okay, when we last left off-”

“We were trying to get started.”

I gave Dash a half-lidded stare. “When. We. Last. Left. Off.” She stayed quiet. “You guys were asked by Rin V to fight a monster called the Chocobo Eater, and as payment he would lend you some Chocobos to ride across the Mi'ihen Highroad to Luca.”

“I say we go for it,” said Dash, jumping right in.

“I don't know. Dawn's more a researcher than a fighter,” said Trixie. “We could just walk.”

“Ugh, but that's so slow.”

Pinkie tapped her chin. “And considering how we were attacked as we tried to leave the Thunder Plains, there might be more monsters on the Highroad.”

“I don't really care either way,” said Spike. “Darrin's up for a good fight, but he doesn't mind walking either.”

“I think I'll ask Rin about monsters on the Highroad,” said Pinkie.

“He tells you that there are few. Some are fiends that react to magic in various ways, while others are either difficult to hit or hurt. He also adds that they never attack Chocobo riders.”

Pinkie nodded. “We should do it. If only to keep the monster from eating the Chocobos.”

“That is a good point,” said Spike, nodding.

Trixie sighed, “So we're going to fight it?”

“Oh, yeah,” cheered Dash with a hoof-pump.

“Rin informs you that the Chocobo Eater usually arrives from the west and is susceptible to fire-based magic. Is there anything you would like to do at the Travel Agency before we jump ahead to the fight itself?”

“Peregrin wants to learn some form of magic,” Pinkie said seriously. “He might not enjoy fighting, but he doesn't want to be worthless next time something big comes around.” She turned to Trixie. “He approaches Dawn with his request.”

Trixie looked mildly surprised, then answered in-character, “'I see. First, though, I should gauge your potential.' I'll spend a point of Blue to scan Peregrin.”

“He is heavy with white mana.” I reply. I had already mapped out their mana colours from the character's backstories. Prism Wing was red/white; Darrin was, too, but he focused more on the white than the red; Dawn was blue/red (which was partially Trixie's decision, since her character started as a spellcaster); and Peregrin was very much white. They each had a section I had added to their character sheets for their mana colours, but, other than Dawn, I left the numbers at zero.

Trixie nodded. “'You are not quite suited to my style of magic.'” Pinkie looked down sadly. “'However, you do have some potential in the healing arts. I have known enough White Mages that I may be able to teach you the basics.'”

“I guess,” piped up Spike, “that while they're doing that, I'll find somewhere to do some training of my own.”

“Why don't we train together?” asked Dash. “You probably need to work on hitting flying and fast stuff, and I want to work on dodging.”

I made note of everything, then said, “Pinkie, gain a point in the White Magic spot, with a novice ranked healing skill. Trixie, you get an additional Blue Magic point for passing on knowledge. Dash gets an additional Agility point, and Spike gets a bonus to Dexterity.” I paused as they wrote this down. “After healing up from your training at the Save Sphere that evening, you hear a loud roar of 'HUNGRY!' from the west.”

“It's heeere.” singsonged Pinkie. I had to consciously keep from asking how she keeps making references to Earth culture without having been told it. I had asked once before, but she didn't even realize she was doing it!

“A squat creature with a mouth definitely large enough to devour a Chocobo whole and an arm span longer than the road to either side of the Travel Agency lumbers up to the Chocobo Pen and prepares to jump.”

“I use two Red Magic Effort to cast a fire spell at it!” said Trixie.

“I'll fly at its face and try to knock it over!” said Dash. “Two effort for movement, and one towards the knock-out.”

“I'll follow her up with a hammer smash to its face,” said Spike. “Two effort.”

“I'll hold off in case someone needs healing,” said Pinkie.

Whole lotta overkill here. With the two fire augmented to deal four injury due to its weakness, and another two injury from the hammer, the Chocobo Eater was dead before it knew what hit it. Active Exploits only has a five-point health system.

Reminds me of the “fight” we had the second time we played Active Exploits back home. Ah, well. If we get far enough today, they'll have a much bigger fight on their hands. Hooves. Whatever.

“Okay, Dash, Prism slams into the Eater as it prepares to jump into the pen, knocking it on its back. Just as you move away, Darrin comes up from behind and slams his hammer full force just as Dawn's fire spell goes off, causing a massive explosion of force that drives you back. As the smoke of the explosion clears, the Chocobo Eater is vanishing into wisps of light, leaving behind a large pile of Gil and a sphere of some kind.”

There was a moment of stunned silence.

“Wait, that's it?” asked Dash. “I thought this was going to be some epic boss fight or something.”

“You guys are just stronger than you thought, I guess. Anyways, Rin lets you rest at the Agency for free that night, and then sends you on the way with three Chocobos, since Prism can fly on her own. You fly through across the Highroad at amazing speeds, and are at the entrance to Luca in a matter of minutes. As soon as you dismount, the Chocobos turn and run back the way you came.

“The city itself is not too dissimilar to Canterlot, though it has more domes than spires, and is built on the coast instead of a mountain. As you enter what looks to be the main thoroughfare of the city, you find a rather curious looking man in red. He's sitting on two chairs, as he's quite large, and in one hand he's holding a cup, in the other hand is a newspaper, while he turns the page with another hand, and he holds a saucer with a fourth.”

“How do we know there aren't four-armed creatures here?” asked Trixie. “We've never been to this place before.”

“The strange looks the other people in the area are giving him indicate that he's an unusual sight. But, as you come in, he looks in your direction, gets up, and starts heading towards you.”

“I'll step in front in case he's hostile,” said Spike.

“He stops a few feet away and says to Trixie 'What is the meaning of this? You should know better than risk revealing other planes.'”

Pinkie gasped and stepped forward, “'Other planes? Sir, you know what happened to us?'”

“He seems taken aback by your lack of knowledge and replies 'Curious. Are all of you from foreign lands?'” They all nodded. “'Interesting. I can't sense your Sparks, so I assumed all but the lady were simply summoned creatures and she was masking her power, but if all of you are fledgling 'Walkers... Do you even know how to Planeswalk?'” They shook their heads. “'I see. I am the mighty GILGAMESH! And I shall be your tutor!'”

“'But, sir, what do you mean Planeswalk?'” asked Pinkie.

“'This is not the place for such discussions. Follow me. I will take you to one of my favourite planes, and we can discuss it there. It's a good thing I learned how to open passages in the Void!' He laughs and does a strange dance before thrusting one of his hands at empty air, conjuring a black and purple portal full of stars. He then steps in.”

They all glanced at each other, shrugged, and gestured me on. “Following Gilgamesh into the tunnel of shaped nothing, you see him keeping a watchful eye on you. After walking a few minutes, he does his little dance and a new hole opens, revealing a shining metal landscape. He then announces 'Welcome, my friends, to Argentum! Personal plane of my friend Karn!'”

I then explained what the whole business with Planeswalkers and the multiverse was, from Gilgamesh's point of view at least, including The Mending. As I finished up my explanation, I interrupted myself.

“'Now, Planeswalking is different for every 'Walker, but since you all-' Suddenly, there's a bellow and several loud screeches from your right. In that direction, you see a horde of creatures made of flesh and metal, and covered in oil. Each of them bears a sigil of a circle with a vertical line through it that makes Gilgamesh gasp. 'Fiends! You dare trespass upon this world?!' With a gesture he re-opens the portal and a gust of wind blows you through it. 'I apologize, my friends, but this foe is too great for young ones like yourself!' With a flash of light, he suddenly grows four more arms, and manifests a weapon in each hand. As the portal closes, you hear him shout, 'Now we fight like men! And machines! And men that want to be machines! HAVE AT YOU!'”

At that moment, Twilight came in. “Oh, hey everyone. I see nothing's gone wrong today.”

“Please don't tempt fate like that, Twi,” Spike said.

Dash yawned, “Geez, so much talking. Can we get to the action-y bits already?”

“Don't worry,” I said, “there's a battle coming up soon. But first, I just remembered something. Pinkie?”

“Yes?” she asked.

“I finally remember that second question I wanted to ask you when I first arrived, though I suppose it's a bit moot at this point. You wouldn't happen to be familiar with the name Nicol Bolas, would you?”

“No... Doesn't sound like a very nice guy, though.”

“Oh, he isn't. And before you ask, this is one of those things I've read that might have had curious consequences if it were true.”

“Why is it a moot question?” asked Twilight.

“Heh. Moot.” Pinkie chuckled.

“Because if Pinkie knew Bolas, she'd be a Planeswalker, and if she were a Planeswalker, then she would have already known some of what I'm talking about in the story of my adventure here.”

Suddenly, Trixie gasped. “Oh my, it's that time already? I have to prepare for work. Same time next week?”

“I've got a birthday party that evening,” said Pinkie.

“Let's just keep checking back with each other and we'll come with a next time for everyone, all right?” I suggested.

Everyone agreed, and Dash burst out the window (which was open; lots of warm bodies in the room, after all), apparently happy to be stretching her wings.

“Any chance I could join in next time?” asked Twilight, as Trixie and Pinkie left as well.

“Don't see why not, though I'll have to come up with a good way to introduce your character. Unless... You don't mind playing one of my NPCs?”

“NPC?”

“Non-Player Character. If not, I can probably come up with something.”

“Sounds good to me. And if I like the game, but not the way the character is playing, I can make a new one?”

I nodded. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm starting to get hungry. See you later, Twi.”

Hm. These session keep ending before I want them to. Ah, well, at least this one started.

Author's Note:

Short and something that might be of interest to you. I made a reference to one of my favourite works on this site, presented my theory that Final Fantasy's Gilgamesh is a Pre-Mending Planeswalker (All we know about his species is that they're giants with the ability to shapeshift), and gave a couple Noodle Incidents for that entry of my eventual (maybe) Trope page (I'm hoping).

I may be more distracted than usual, however, because a helpful Background Pony on Derpiboo.ru showed me a page where I can watch Classic Who, and I'm just getting to The Web Planet watching a serial a night.

Next Chapter: Who?

PreviousChapters Next