• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 6,866 Views, 797 Comments

Apple Scratch : Onward to the Equestria Games! - Mariacheat-Brony



(Humanized) Ponyville has been chosen to host the most important sporting events in the Country. It's up to the two sisters of the Apple family and their friends to represent their town in the games.

  • ...
20
 797
 6,866

Let the Games Begin!

The Games were finally there. After the last five days of intense training at Sweet Apple Acres, the Ponyville team finally went back into town, escorted by the entire Apple family. The Apples had come from all over Equestria to see two of their own compete in the most important competition. Two of them would compete, a handful would sell their products and the rest would cheer for the first two.

During their last days of training, Applejack and Vinyl didn't get many visits from their respective lovers. Octavia had swung by one afternoon a few days past, accompanied by Twilight, to see if everything was ok. Applejack had been a bit down that Rarity didn't tag along. Octavia explained that the seamstress had been busy working on a new project since the afternoon she came back from Sweet Apple Acres.

The Ponyville team was now inside the freshly renovated Ponyville Coliseum. While the crowd was already making its way inside, the competitors along with their coach and assistants were heading toward their private locker room.

"Oh, I can't stop shaking from excitement!" Allie shouted, her body affected by intense shiverings. "I can't believe we're really there!"

"You'd better believe it, Kiddo!" Vinyl said happily. "'Cause we're here and we're gonna rock, Ponyville style!"

"Hurray for Ponyville!" Ditzy shouted.

"YEAH!" They all yelled in unison.

"Too bad for our uniforms, though!" Raindrops added grumpily.

"We have uniforms?" Ditzy asked with a very surprised tone.

"Not really, Ditz'!" Cloud Kicker answered. "The mayor didn't give us any sort of budget to form the team. She said that all the town's money went in the renovations and other works in town. She supports us all the way, but she can't afford to give us any money." Cloud Kicker explained. "That's why we don't have any outfits whatsoever and we're gonna have to compete with our own sportswear."

"That sucks." Rose said with a hint of sadness.

"Now, Now. We don' need no fancy get-ups to be efficient." Applejack reassured softly.

"Applejack's right. What you're wearing doesn't make you win anything." Zecora said with wisdom.

"If you remember your history, the athletes even competed naked during the first Games." Turner remarked.

"What a bunch of lucky fellers they were back then." Cloud Kicker whispered with envy.

"Keep your mind out of the gutter, CK!" Vinyl chuckled.

"Never!" She shouted vigorously, earning bouts of laughter from her teammates.

"Girls!" Redheart said as they arrived in front of their locker room. "And Turner." She added sheepishly at the sole male member of the Ponyville Team. "We're here. Let's get inside!"

They all got inside the room. It was rather large compared to Applejack's gym. There was about a dozen of lockers and an access to a huge bathroom with six shower stalls. It also had a large red curtain at the end of the room. In front of said curtain stood Rarity. She looked a bit tired, but the seamstress was smiling widely at Ponyville's team.

"Rarity?" Applejack asked in complete surprise. "What in tarnation are ya doin' here?"

"I'm happy to see you as well, Darling." Rarity chuckled.

"Seriously Rarity, what are you doing here?" Vinyl asked. "What's with that curtain?"

"A surprise from me to all of you." Rarity replied happily. "Something you needed, apparently."

"What do you mean by that?" Cloud Kicker asked.

"Applejack mentioned your outfits issue the other day when we went on our own for lunch." Rarity explained simply.

"You don' mean that ya did..." Applejack started slowly, her eyes slightly bigger as she put two and two together. Rarity nodded happily before she could even finish.

"What did she do? I don't get it!" Allie asked with a frown.

"I think I've got an idea about what she did." Vinyl said with a growing smile.

"Care to enlighten us, then?" Raindrops asked abruptly. "I don't like being left in the dark." She added, the others approved her with a nod.

"Well Dear, I think it's best that I show you." Rarity said as she focused her magic around the curtain. "You're going to represent Ponyville in the most important Inter-city competitions in the country." Rarity stated. "You might as well wear your town's color." She added softly before opening the curtains.

Everyone's eyes went wide and their jaws almost fell from their skulls. Rarity had made them a complete set of sports outfits for each of them. They all bore an emblem on the back, a black rearing pony similar to the one of their town's flag, and a smaller identical one on the chest. The uniforms were sewn from a deep scarlet cotton with yellow highlights. She had even made a white medical jacket with red and yellow highlights, bearing the traditional red cross on its back for Redheart. They all stepped closer to the outfits, and noticed that each set was personalized with name tags and a few personal touches.

Vinyl's and Allie's outfits didn't bare a simple pony as an insignia. Their ponies had a small horn on their forehead, showing their lineage to the Unicorn Goddess Titania. Also the small circle in which stood the pony pattern was in a different color for each one of them : electric blue for Vinyl and light cyan for Allie.

Cloud Kicker, Raindrops and Ditzy's had a winged pony on their insignia, standing for their legacy from the Storm Pegasus Jupiter. Their backgrounds were dark fuchsia, yellow, and grey respectively, the same color as their wings.

Applejack and Rose's pony symbols seemed to represent a more sturdy pony than the others, kind of like a ponyfied percheron; memento to the Nature Mare Epona. Their emblems background were bright orange for Applejack, her favorite color, and maroon for Rose.

"Ya made all this, in five days?" Applejack asked softly. When Rarity nodded her answer, Applejack lifted her from the ground and twirled on the spot, causing her to chuckle happily. "Yer the best, Rarity!" Applejack beamed at her lover before kissing her deeply.

"That's soooo awesome!" Allie shouted with a high-pitched voice, both her hands on her cheeks, making a happy pout.

"It's so pretty!" Rose commented, on the brink of tears.

"That's more like it!" Raindrops said happily as she tried on her jacket. "It even fits perfectly!"

"Oh my gosh! She even made a special pocket for the Lucky Muffin!" Ditzy said shivering and looking like she was about to faint from excitement.

"Now, we finally look like a real competing team!" Cloud Kicker beamed.

"Say Rarity, what's inside this?" Vinyl asked as she held a small rectangular case that was in front of her outfit.

"That's an idea from Octavia." Rarity said, a little out of breath. Applejack's kiss seemed to have taken its toll. "She said that you had a similar pair for your performances that got shattered during the wedding. Twilight enchanted them: they're nearly unbreakable now."

Vinyl opened the case slowly. Inside of it were a pair of large purple tinted shades with a deep black rim. She noticed a small message in the case along with the shades. She recognized the hand-writing immediately. 'Now that you have those, you have no excuse to not perform well. *wink* Love, Octavia!' Vinyl smiled at her lover's attention. She put the shades on without hesitation and her world suddenly looked more purple.

"Awww, Yeah!" Vinyl cheered happily. "This rocks!"

"I'm glad you all like them!" Rarity smiled at Ponyville's team. "I must get going now, I wouldn't want to hold you back when the Opening Ceremony's about to start!"

"Thank you so much for this, Ms Rarity." Zecora said with a soft smile. "We'll find a way to repay you for your generosity." Everyone from the team nodded their approval vigorously.

"Just do your best! It'll be more than enough for me." Rarity answered before quickly pecking Applejack and going to the room's door. "Oh, and if someone asks, say it comes from me!" She added playfully with a wink, earning a goodhearted laugh from the Ponyvillians.

"Come on, Girls." Turner shouted. He had already pulled his team jacket on. It bore a large brown circle with a golden hourglass insignia on the back, with the mention of his position and nickname. 'Coach Assistant, The Doctor!' "I'll wait for you all outside. Get changed! It's about to start." He said before heading outside the room by the Athlete's exit.

"You heard the 'Doctor'!" Zecora barked with authority. "Get ready now or I'll pull you all by the collar!"

"Yes, Coach!" The team shouted with determination.


"Ha, Rarity! You're here just in time." Twilight said in relief as the seamstress finally arrived in the Princesses' private box. "The Opening Ceremony is about to start!"

"I'm sorry I'm late, your Highnesses." Rarity apologized to the two Princesses who were sitting in their large throne like chairs, before taking a seat next to Octavia.

"It's ok, My Dear!" Celestia waved off.

"Do not fret thyself, Lady Rarity." Luna nodded in her old Canterlotian speech. "Thou did not miss a single event."

"Lulu, please stop with the old speech pattern. It irritates me!" Celestia asked softly.

"Fiiiine! You're no fun, Tia!" Luna pouted.

"How did it go?" Octavia asked Rarity eagerly. "Did they like it?"

"They adored it. Vinyl really seemed to have appreciated the glasses." Rarity smiled at her friend who smiled back.

"I don't see Pinkie Pie." Twilight noted. "Where has she gone now?" Twilight said with annoyance.

"Ha! I didn't inform you about a little something, Twilight. You see..." Celestia started.

"GOOOOOOOOD MOOOOORNING PONYVIIIILLLLE!" Pinkie Pie shouted with her abnormally loud cheerful voice.

Pinkie's voice resonated to the entire coliseum, silencing every spectators' conversation, as they tried to find out where the voice came from. When a few pointed the sky, they started to look up to see Pinkie Pie in a flying contraption of her creation. A sort of small bicycle attached to a large ballon, that moved thanks to a propeller powered by her pedaling. Her special megaphone attached to the handlebar. She was flying in circles above the stadium.

"Hi everyone! I'm Pinkie Pie and I'll your eye in the sky during those super, duper, awesome Equestria Games." Pinkie yelled happily in her megaphone. "Are you excited?" The crowd cheered. "Louder, I can't really hear you from that far up!" The cheers became a lot more louder. "That's more like it!"

"You let Pinkie do the announcing.." Twilight stated with a blank expression. "Why?"

"I'm sorry Twilight. I couldn't resist. She used her puppy eyes on me...I can't say no to that!" Celestia sobbed dramatically, shaking her head in defeat.

"There, there, Sister, it's over!" Luna whispered compassionately, as she patted her sister's back.

"Oh! Princess, I completely understand what you're going through." Twilight sympathized softly to the Sun Monarch.

"At least the crowd seems to like her." Fluttershy noted casually, completely ignoring the Princess' dramatic break down.

"Indeed. But it's really hard to not appreciate Pinkie Pie." Octavia remarked.

"That's very true, Octavia." Cadence nodded. "So, I suppose you two are going to cheer for Ponyville." She winked at Octavia and Rarity.

"You supposed right, Darling." Rarity chuckled, joined quickly by Octavia. "And I think Twilight's going to cheer for a team other than Canterlot as well!" She added with a wink at Twilight.

"What are you talking about, Rarity?" Twilight asked with a puzzled look. "Shining is competing for Canterlot. I'm going to cheer for my brother."

"Oh! I just thought you'd be cheering for an other member of the Guard!" Rarity answered with a knowing smile, causing her friend to blush madly.

"D-don't say su-such nonsenses!" Twilight shouted, stammering in embarrassment.

The three princesses' attention focused directly on Twilight. Princess Celestia even dropped her pained dramatic act. They all bore a very interested expression.

"What's that, Twilight? You have a crush on someone in the Guard?" Cadence asked eagerly.

"My dear student, why didn't you inform me about this? That's the sort of details I like to hear about." Celestia said in a fake offended tone.

"How is he, Twilight Sparkle? Or maybe he's a she?" Luna asked rapidly. "When shall we meet him or her?"

While Twilight was mentally cursing Rarity with all the maledictions she knew and cowering in front of the massive assault of questions about her supposed crush by the three Princesses. Pinkie Pie had finished a very long speech relating a 'thank you to' list.

"..And now that I just finished thanking everyone that took part in the renovations in Ponyville." Pinkie explained tossing her list overboard. "Let's now focus on what really matters! I'm talking about the participating Teams." Pinkie said happily, earning a thunder of applause, cheers and whatnot.

"Let's give a huge and super welcome to our Capital's team." Pinkie Pie shouted excitedly. "Ladies and Gentelmen, here comes the Might of Canterlot! Crystal Arrow, Quake, Pokey Pierce, Fleetfoot, Soarin, Spitfire, and last, but not least, The Paladin of Equestria, the Captain SHINING ARMOR!"

The team members went out one by one through the massive door that lead to the locker rooms. They were some decent cheers for the first three competitors. But for the last four, the entire stadium shook because of the thunder of applauses and the almost literal explosion of excited shouts. Those are the perks of being part of the Wonderbolts or a National Hero!

Cadence had been ecstatic when she heard her husband name. She kept on yelling all sorts of encouragements, cheers, etc. Her behavior was far from being one of a princess, but no one in her box seemed to care. Twilight was even relieved by her sister-in-law's behavior, the focus on her potential paramour had been diverted by Cadence's antics and the fact that the main event had finally started.

"You know, I'm surprised that Spitfire and the others aren't competing for Cloudsdale." Fluttershy said with curiosity. "If what Rainbow Dash told me about them is true, that's where they were all born."

"Easy answer to that, Fluttershy!" Celestia explained casually. "The athlete may choose which town he wishes to represent. The Wonderbolts pass much of their time in Canterlot. It's not a big surprise if they consider it more like their hometown than Cloudsdale."

"And now. Directly coming from the beautiful city in the skies." Pinkie shouted in her megaphone. "The children of the Storm Pegasus. Give a warm welcome to Cloudsdale's Winged Lightnings! Midnight Strike, the Streak twins : Lightning & Fire, Snowflake, Gilda Skytalon, Lightning Dust! AAAAAnd the master of the Sonic Rainboom! Renée Marianne RAINBOW DASH!"

"Yay, Rainbow Dash! You rock. Wohoo!" Fluttershy cheered quietly. So quietly that even Twilight, who was siting just next to her, wasn't sure to have heard her under the loud cheers the crowd was giving for their fellow Council member.

Pinkie Pie continued to introduce all the team and all the competitors. When Manehatten's turn arrived, Octavia checked her parents' box and saw her mother applauding madly at her brother, who as a team captain, bore their city's flag as the team captain should do. Octavia never really understood how Cornelio had ended up being his team's captain. He only took part in one kind of event: the horse shows, and never seemed to care about his teammates' trials. Not that she really cared though, but it seemed pretty odd to her.

The teams' introductions went on without an hitch, despite a few peculiar individuals. For example, the Neigh Orleans' team was lead by a really strange woman who was wearing a small purple cape with blue and yellow stars and a matching sorcerer's hat. Or the Las Pegasus' team, this team was lead by a giant of man who kept on making various poses every time he decided to open his mouth.

Soon, only one team needed to be introduced.

"And now, for the last team. I'd like you all to stand up and give a mighty super big hello to the team that represents our host." Pinkie said softly. "Here comes Ponyville team."

"Allie Way." Allie went out on the track to join Zecora, Turner and Redheart who were waiting with the other teams in line, waving with both hands at Ponyville's supporters who gave her rounds of applause.

"Roseluck Greentouch!" Rose joined her teammate with a slow pace. She looked a bit nervous when she waved at her supporters. She wasn't used to so much attention, but her mood perked up when she noticed a banner held by her friends from the flower shop. It said 'Our Rose has the toughest thorns! Victory for our Flower Girl!', she couldn't help but to smile as she took place next to Allie.

"Raindrops Silverain!" Raindrops flew out of the stadium's corridor, her fists pumping in the air at the sounds of her co-workers from the weather management team's encouragement. She spotted one of her friends, CloudChaser, holding a sign that said : 'Bring them the RAIN!'

"Ditzy Doo! And no, she isn't related to Daring Do. I did the research!" Pinkie Pie said seriously. Ditzy slowly ran toward her teammates but when she almost tripped, she decided to fly the rest of the way. She sheepishly scratched the back of her head while waving at the crowd who laughed a little before applauding her with the same vigor as for the others athletes.

"The Lieutenant Cloud Kicker!" Cloud Kicker flew out of the corridors under a thunder of applause from the Ponyvillians, especially from the female Ponyvillians. While still flying, she gave the crowd a deep bow, showing her cleavage for anyone who had a pair of binoculars. It turned out that a lot of Ponyvillians had a pair and they were happy to finally be putting them to a good use. She chuckled before joining her teammates under a lot of sharp whistles. When she landed, Zecora gave her a whack on the back of her head, shaking hers disapprovingly.

"And now, bearing their town's flag together." Pinkie Pie described as she put her spyglass in her pocket. "Two sisters from the most fun-a-fun-fun orchard on the planet. Equestria's Rodeo Queen and Magical Musician. Give them a warm welcome. Ladies and Gentlemen, here come JACQUELYN and VINYL AAAAAAAPPLE."

Applejack and Vinyl, each holding the flag's staff with one hand, walked side by side with a proud smile. The section of the grandstands where the Apple family were sitting started to shake when the Apples rose from their chairs to cheer for their kins. Four complete rows of people wearing southern clothing, applauding, whistling and waving multiple banners and flags with the Red Apple of their family on it. Applejack and Vinyl beamed at the show their relatives were giving for them. Rarity and Octavia were even more ecstatic than Cadence had been earlier. They kept shouting their wishes for their lovers' victory, while said lovers were slowly marching toward their teammates.

"Hmm! I like their outfits!" Celestia commented. "That's what you were doing during those last five days, Rarity?"

"Indeed it was, your Highness!" Rarity nodded, her voice was bit harsh from all that cheering.

"You've really outdone yourself!" Celestia said with pride.

"OK, everyone! Now, that all the introductions are over, let's listen to Sapphire Shores who's going to sing our Nation's anthem!" Pinkie Pie said happily from her flying machine.

Everyone in the coliseum stood at attention with their right hand on their hearts. On a small stage in front of the lined up teams, Sapphire Shores cleared her throat before she started singing. Everyone listened in silence with pride, some even shed tears. Vinyl was trying her best to put up in an impassible face; she had never liked Sapphire Shores' singing.

'Of all the worst singers they could have chosen. This is THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. SINGER.... ' Vinyl thought in anger. 'Hang on a minute, where did that expression even come from?...Was it AJ that used it once?...I think so but it's so unlike her...Oh no, AJ's becoming like Rarity!.... And AJ's influencing me a lot!... I'm becoming like Rarity!' She thought with a small fear.

Of course that thought process was completely irrational, but Vinyl did need something other than the singing to think about. Luckily for her, the anthem came to an end very quickly and every spectators sat back while Sapphire bowed under the unmerited, according to Vinyl at least, applauses. The only one in the audience who still stood up was none other than Princess Celestia.

"Philomena, my Dear. That's your cue." She said softly to her phoenix pet who had been sleeping on her perch since they arrived in their private box.

The phoenix cawed lazily as she woke up from her slumber. Philomena expended her wingspan before taking off, leaving a small trail of fire behind her. After a high-pitched caw, she immolated herself, changing her body into a huge fireball. Everyone watched in awe as the fiery bird flew incredibly fast toward the huge brasero on top of the Coliseum. Philomena crashed into it, lighting the Flame that signals the official start of the Games.

"The Flame has been lit! I, High Princess Celestia of Equestria, declare that the seven hundred and fifty-fourth Opening Ceremony of the Equestria Games is now officially over!" Celestia said with her magically amplified voice. "Let the Games begin!"

Author's Note:

Finally the trials are here!

The next chapters (the one with the trials) might be shorter! I haven't decided if I do more than one by chapter or not.

I hope you liked it!

Mariacheat-Brony.