• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 30,097 Views, 1,058 Comments

Twilight's Dollhouse - Kaidan



This funeral was just Twilight’s first. She realizes every pony she loves will die. Now that she is an Alicorn, she will have to relive this crippling heartache hundreds of times. . . Unless she can find a way to keep her best friends forever.

  • ...
59
 1,058
 30,097

VI. A Sterling Silver Filly

"Good evening Twilight," Derpy called out.

"It sure is, Derpy. Hey, I have an extra muffin, want it?" Twilight asked.

"Of course!" Derpy quickly swooped down from her mail route to scoop up the levitating muffin. The mail mare ate it in one bite. "Delicious. I’m so glad you always give me muffins! How'd you find out boysenberry is my favorite?"

"Lucky guess," Twilight chuckled. She continued to skip down the road towards the library. Applejack watched as she was closing her apple stand for the night. She raised an eyebrow, and looked away when Twilight glanced her way.

"Hey Fluttershy, are we still on for coffee Friday?"

"Of course, Twilight. Anything for a friend," Fluttershy replied.

"Good evening Mayor Mare! Working late? I'll swing by the office tomorrow to drop off the city ordinance revisions."

"Thanks, Twilight, you've been doing a great job as our princess!" Mayor exclaimed.

The rest of the way home saw Twilight with a skip in her step as she whistled a familiar tune. She even stopped to give Scootaloo some candy, a Milky Hay bar. By the time she got home she'd greeted half the town.

As soon as she stepped through the door and closed it, she let out a long sigh. "Whew, that was tiring. Let's go move into your new home Rarity, you'll love what I did with the place."

***************************************************************

"The plan went smoothly. She expects me to kick you out of the house to be her friend," Vinyl explained.

"Good, I've already moved my stuff down here anyway," Octavia replied.

"Once Vinyl makes her move, whether it works or not, you won't be able to go to the surface again Octavia. Twilight will have it in for you," Bon Bon explained.

Octavia glanced around the small basement, estimating how much digging remained before they reached freedom."That's fine, I can keep working on the tunnel out of here.”

"We're just lucky Twilight made the mistake of building the town too well. The houses that have basements penetrate the wooden floorboards. Now that we have an underground base, she won't be able to figure out where you and Bon Bon are coordinating from," Vinyl explained.

"What if she freezes us while we're down here," Bon Bon inquired.

"She still won't be able to find us. Once she unfreezes the other ponies, we'll be unfrozen too," Octavia explained. She walked over towards the tunnel entrance and peered inside. “Besides, I’ve met a pony who may solve that problem. . .”

Bon Bon frowned, recalling the first few days she spent frozen while Lyra frolicked around with Twilight. "You're assuming she won't animate us one at a time and leave you stuck down here."

"Then you'll just have to carry me up to the surface. Make no mistake, Vinyl will escape the library. We'll just need to lay low for a few hours until help comes."

"Just make sure to keep digging that tunnel," Bon Bon ordered. "If Vinyl fails, at least we'll be able to tunnel out from beneath the library given a few weeks.”

"Hey, Bonnie, look on the bright side? I'm too awesome to fail," Vinyl boasted.

"Wait, do you hear that?" Octavia asked. Some small decorative bells hung from the ceiling. As Twilight walked through the town above, they jingled softly.

"Rarity. . ." Vinyl sighed. "She left to get her and said she'd be back for tea. This is it, wish me luck."

"Good luck!" Bon Bon cheered.

Octavia just stepped forward and gave her a hug. "We're all counting on you."

Vinyl ran up the stairs to the entry room of Rose and Blossom's house. When Twilight detonated the gas line to cover up her first two victims, she had killed them both. Their empty house made the perfect entrance to the rapidly expanding system of underground tunnels. With a dozen dolls trusted with its secret, they had connected four houses together and built a central chamber beneath the floorboards.

"And here's Carousel Boutique. I’ve already moved or recreated personal belongings for both of you. Now, I'm going to unfreeze you and Sweetie Belle. I expect you to be civil," Twilight explained to her miniature friend.

Vinyl watched from a few feet away as Rarity and Sweetie Belle were unfrozen. They had an eerie crystalline sheen to them. The plastic they were composed of was milky white, giving the impression of opal gems. Their mane and tails retained their normal coloring.

Sweetie immediately curled up and began to cry, hiding herself behind Rarity.

“Twilight, what—how did you do this? Why?” Rarity stood still, not bothering to look at her new plastic body. She stared into Twilight’s eyes as if they held the answers.

“I couldn’t lose you too, it’s like I told you at breakfast. It hurts. . . so much, Rarity.” Twilight sat down and smiled weakly. “I never knew it’d hurt so much, and now that Celestia made me an alicorn I’ll never escape that feeling.”

"Twilight, I am truly sorry. Why didn't you just ask Celestia to change you back? Or why don't you ask her how she deals with loss? Why all of this?"

“It’s the only way to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I have the power now, and Celestia kept telling me to be responsible. She. . . would understand.”

Rarity sat down, checking to make sure the quivering filly was still behind her. “Twilight, she would understand, she’ll help you after you let us all go—”

“No! That’s not what I meant! I have to do this on my own. She’d only be mad at me again, she. . .” Twilight began crying and couldn’t finish her sentence.

“Twilight. . . what aren’t you telling me? What did Celestia say?” Rarity sat down and cradled Sweetie against her chest while waiting for a reply.

“Celestia. . . she wouldn’t t-talk to me. She sent L-luna. . .” Twilight was trying, and failing, to compose herself. Despite her anger, Rarity waited patiently to let the alicorn finish. “A-after I found Cadance. . . Luna was trying to comfort me, but I saw Celestia. . . in the doorway, crying. She. . .she turned and left me.”

“Twilight, Cadance was her niece. Celestia was hurt just as badly as you.” Rarity ran a hoof over Sweetie’s back.

“No! She can’t know that, it’s scientifically impossible! Celestia should have asked me, she should have comforted ME! Not Luna, the half-baked princess stuck on the moon for a millenia. I’m her student. . . she has never left me alone before. . .”

Vinyl was smiling in sheer joy. Rarity had just made Twilight vulnerable, now would be the perfect time to remind her that she promised to play tea time with her. Then Vinyl could escape while she was busy with her pity party.

Vinyl walked up to Rarity who was still waiting for a coherent answer. "Rarity," she whispered. "After we leave, go to my living room and wait there. Bon Bon will meet you and keep Sweetie safe."

"What on Equestri—"

"Trust me," Vinyl interrupted. "Hey, Twilight. You promised to take me for tea, wouldn't that make you feel better?"

"Y-yes," Twilight replied. She shook her head, and with it the traces of the painful memories for a moment.

"Let's go, you and me, right now."

"What about Lyra? I promised her too."

"Nopony has seen her, she said something about you not being her friend anymore after you captured Rarity here." Vinyl pointed at the mare who was softly singing Hush Now, Quiet Now to Sweetie Belle.

"No, don't lie to me! Lyra wouldn't say that." Twilight wiped her tears away and stood up. "Lyra!" she shouted.

Vinyl mentally kicked herself for making such a blatant lie. "She's gone, look I'm sorry. I'll tell you about it at tea," Vinyl said. She didn't want to risk Lyra tagging along and ruining her plans.

"First I find Lyra," Twilight said. "Lyra!" she shouted forcefully.

Vinyl sighed as her captor took to the air and started flying around town. When Twilight landed over near the Everfree forest, Vinyl sprinted off towards her. She reached her just in time to see Lyra walk out of the forest.

"Lyra, are you ok?" Twilight asked.

"Yes," Lyra replied somberly. She was still hurt by her friends ostracizing her for giving Twilight the friendship she so badly craved.

"We're still friends?" she asked with concern in her voice.

"Of course, I just—" Lyra noticed Vinyl walking up quietly and listening to the conversation. "Had a little fight with Bon Bon. I'm fine now."

Twilight looked back towards Ponyville, emitting something that sounded like a growl. She quickly turned back to her friend. "Did she hurt you? I'll lock her up if she did!"

"No, it's fine, really. . ." Lyra looked over at Vinyl and quickly averted her gaze. She knew full well Vinyl was going to make a run for it. If she told Twilight this,she’d never be welcomed by her old friends again. If she kept quiet, Twilight would never trust her again. "I think I'll just move into another house for a little while."

"Ok, ready to go get some tea? I was thinking that since you can taste sugarcubes, maybe you could taste tea! Long term animation has never been studied before, but I have some interesting hypothesis'. I think the longer you're animated, the more of your senses will return," Twilight explained. She smiled down at Lyra.

Lyra was drawing a circle in the dirt with her hoof, barely paying attention to the conversation."Oh, neat."

"You still want to come for tea, right?

"I uh—" Lyra looked over at Vinyl who was shaking her head no. "Am not really thirsty."

"Please!" Twilight begged. She made her best puppy eyes at Lyra. "I really want both my best friends there."

Lyra glanced back at Vinyl who slid a hoof across her neck. With a gulp, she replied "Sure, let's get some tea." As soon as Twilight turned away, she stuck her tongue out at Vinyl.

Twilight quickly grabbed them both and started to walk upstairs. Vinyl and Lyra hung onto her mane as she carried them to the balcony.

"Not a word, Lyra," Vinyl whispered.

Lyra wasn't sure how to handle this, but she had to try. Twilight was her friend. Ever since Lyra started being nice to Twilight, her captor had returned the favor by being extra nice to her. If the other ponies would only listen to reason, Twilight would be extra nice to them too.

In no time at all they had arrived on Twilight's balcony. She quickly set up tea for herself and a doll-sized tea set for Lyra and Vinyl.

"Oh this is so much fun, isn't it? Maybe you can get some more ponies to be my friends. I really want to play with all of them," Twilight stated.

"Of course! In fact, Snips and Snails were just saying how cool they think you are. Now that I've kicked Octavia out of the house, she ran off crying and hid. Nopony has seen her since," Vinyl lied. Once she escaped, she knew Twilight would go for Octavia. At least now, the other ponies had plausible deniability when they refused to reveal her location.

"That's wonderful news, isn't it Lyra? Vinyl picked me over Octavia!" Twilight cheered.

"Yeah," Lyra whispered. She focused intently on her tiny plastic tea cup. If I rat out Vinyl now, she won't get angry and hurt anypony. However, Bon Bon and Octavia will probably do worse than just punch me a couple times. Twilight left the hotplate down there. . .but Bon Bon wouldn't. She's still my friend. A tea kettle poked Lyra in the side.

"I said, are you alright Lyra?" Twilight asked.

"Yes. I just had a long day. I didn't know dolls could get tired." Lyra glanced at Vinyl who nodded in approval. She had already started to inch away. Lyra hated being stuck here, endlessly debating an unwinnable situation. She just wanted to crawl back into her cave in the Everfree and hide.

"Oh, well I was thinking about that. If my hypothesis is correct, you should be the first pony to notice any changes. So if you'll just report them to me, things like being able to taste or getting tired, it'll give me a baseline. I can experiment with the animation spells further. For instance, I just found a way to animate the apple trees. All the ponies can have as many apples as they want now. I still haven't figured out where the stuff you eat or drink goes. . . I figure I'll just chalk it up to 'magic'," Twilight chuckled.

"Yeah," Lyra mumbled.

“And you were right,” Twilight added. She saw Lyra glance at her briefly so she smiled. “I’ve been leaving gifts for the dolls, and letting them stay animated 24/7. I even set an automatic enchantment for you, to keep everypony animated at night. They’ve been getting nicer already, I even had Snips and Snails invite me to play soccer with them.” Twilight laughed. “It wasn’t fair, so I took it easy on them.”

“Mmmhmm.”

"Ok, you're worrying me. Tell me what's wrong, now!" Twilight ordered.

Lyra shivered and dropped her tea cup. It bounced and rolled along the table, and she burst into tears. Twilight was so focused on her distraught friend, that she didn't realize Vinyl had already reached the end of the table.

With a small running start, Vinyl flung herself off the table and over the balcony railing. She landed seconds later with a sickening thud. The landing was every bit as painful as she expected, but her plastic body remained unscathed. A few small plastic scrapes were a small price to pay for freedom.

After taking a moment to compose herself, Vinyl sprinted for the nearest house to hide.

Back on the balcony, Lyra began to mutter her apology.

"I-it's V-vinyl and Bon Bon. They k-kicked me out of town because I w-was gonna tell you about the e-escape attempt. Now they'll n-never let me b-back in!" Lyra wailed.

Twilight looked around for Vinyl and noticed she was missing. "Lyra!" She screamed, slamming a hoof on the table.

Lyra flinched and curled up. "So s-sorry, p-please don't hurt m-me," Lyra begged.

"I won't hurt you, but I'm gonna make Vinyl wish she'd never been born. You're my friend, Vinyl is just a worthless degenerate," Twilight yelled.

"Twilight?" Spike called. "Who are you yelling at?"

"Damn it," Twilight spat. "You stay exactly where I put you and I forgive you." She grabbed Lyra and used her magic to toss her behind a book on the nearest bookshelf.

Spike had made his w ay up the stairs. He paused on the balcony to see his sister having tea alone. "Hey Twilight, is Rarity here?"

Twilight tensed the muscles in her eyelid slightly, fighting the urge for it to twitch. "No, Spike. Why?"

"Well I was going to meet her with Pinkie to throw a surprise party on the train platform before she left. Rarity never showed up," Spike stated.

"Oh, she caught an earlier train. Sorry," Twilight explained.

Spike’s shoulders fell and he exhaled. "What? Why would she leave and not say anything? I wanted to say goodbye. . .”

"It's a grown-up thing Spike.” She walked over and rested a hoof on his shoulder. “When you're older, you'll understand."

"Ugh, not that again. I'm only six years younger than you," Spike grumbled. "Well, I'm going to bed. I've had enough disappointment for one day."

"Good, make sure to get lots of sleep so uh. . . you can reshelve the library tomorrow! Hehe. I've got to run out and get some quills before the shop closes, see you later!" Twilight ran down the stairs and out the front door.

"Sheesh, what's gotten into her?" Spike asked himself. "The sofa and quills guy closed his shop three days ago."

He went to his new bedroom. It was a gift from Twilight now that he was 'old enough for his own room.' However, he was apparently still young enough to be blown off. He plopped down in his bean bag and reached for the nearest comic book. A few posters from his favorite series, Dragon Quest adorned his walls.

"That mare, sometimes I swear she'll be the death of me." Spike laughed, and flipped the comic open to the first page.

***************************************************************

Vinyl was sprinting faster than she ever had before, and she had just barely reached the nearest house. It felt like a marathon just to reach it, and it should have only been about fifty feet away. There was no sign of Twilight yet, so at least Lyra was good for something. Vinyl just needed to find a pony who could be trusted to get word to Celestia.

Rounding a corner, she ran into the last pony she expected to run into. After bumping into her hoof, the mare quickly zeroed in on Vinyl.

"Wow, a miniature pony toy!" Silver Spoon exclaimed. She scooped Vinyl up before the DJ could flee.

"No, wait! I'm not a toy, I'm Vinyl Scratch! Listen, kid, Twilight trapped us all in her basement! You have to tell Celestia!" Vinyl explained as quickly as she could.

"Wow, and you talk! Mommy said she would get me some toys like you from Manehatten. Did you know they enchant dolls there too?" Silver asked.

Vinyl squirmed around, only causing the filly to tighten her grip. "You're not listening kid! Twilight killed Filthy and Diamond! She'll kill you too, if you don't run now and get us to Celestia!"

Silver turned the doll around in her hooves and examined how detailed it was. "Hmph, you're awful impatient for a toy. Is this a game?"

"No, it's not! Ugh. Look, could a toy do this?" Vinyl found a nearby rock and started levitating it.

Silver gasped and dropped Vinyl. The DJ took off running, and Silver easily kept up.

"Hey wait, you said you know where Diamond is? Mom said they moved to Manehatten," Silver shouted.

Vinyl stopped just as the earth pony caught up to her again. "I'm telling you the truth, she's gone, and if you don't turn around right now and go home, you'll be next."

"Hmm, I think you're broken. Maybe Twilight will know how to fix you." She quickly scooped up Vinyl in her hooves again.

Silver's eyes went wide as Vinyl began using some of the most foul language her filly ears had ever heard. Once the doll had been dropped again, it took off running. Silver followed it around a corner and rammed into Twilight.

"Sorry, Twilight," Silver stated. "I was chasing my new toy."

“Thanks,” Twilight replied. She froze the doll with a quick flash of her horn and picked up Vinyl. “This is actually my toy.”

“No, I found it first. I already have a dollhouse and everything. Mom was going to buy me new dolls but changed her mind.”

“I guess you can’t get everything you want, goodbye.” Twilight turned to leave.

“Wait!” Silver ran around in front of the mare and reared back to wave her arms in protest. “Please show me how to make one. I don’t have much to do since Diamond moved out of town.”

She looked to the filly, and looked around. A pegasus was flying around clearing clouds and a couple ponies were chatting in their backyard. "Alright, Silver. I have more, want to see them?"

"Sure, that sounds great!" Silver exclaimed. "Diamond always said my dollhouse was stupid."

Twilight began to walk back across the street to the library."Your dollhouse isn’t stupid. Just wait until you see how big mine is. What kind of dolls did you get?"

"Porcelain dolls! They came from Fillydelphia. I've heard of enchanted dolls, where'd you get yours?" Silver inquired.

"It's a royal experiment. I'm making them myself. I even made a porcelain one, but it broke."

"That's really cool. Do you think. . ." Silver glanced away.

"What?" Twilight had to stop walking to watch the filly struggle to find the right words.

"Can. . . we be friends? I know you're an adult but Diamond was sorta my only one ever since daddy died. . ."

Twilight smiled. "Silver, you can be my friend. I'd love to have a new friend, and Spike is always too busy to help me."

"Thanks, Twilight. Mom said you changed when you became a princess but I think you're nice. We can be best friends forever!"

"I'm glad you think that, Silver.” Twilight smiled widely at Silver’s infectious joy. It was a feeling she hadn’t felt since becoming an alicorn. “So, will you keep my experiment a secret? If you do, I'll let you come play with my dolls anytime."

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

***************************************************************

Applejack put the last sign underneath her apple stand. She closed the drawer and saw something flying overhead.

"Hey, AJ! Guess what?" Dash shouted.

She watched the pegasus descend with a smug grin, and then walk towards her flourishing her tail. "Ah reckon ya got into the Wonderbolts, on account of the uniform," AJ responded.

The pegasus was barely keeping her hooves on the ground. She was fidgeting and looked like she was going to fly off to do a sonic rainboom at any minute. "Heh, yeah! I've been telling all the girls, Have you seen Rarity or Twilight?"

"Dash, can ya calm down, we need ta talk."

She steadied her hooves on the ground and adjusted her flight goggles. Her giddy smirk quickly fell flat. "Something wrong, AJ?"

"It's Twilight, ah think something is wrong with her."

"Why, did she start having nightmares again?"

Applejack adjusted her hat while thinking of the best way to suggest to Dash that their friend had been kidnapping ponies. "It's not about the suicide or how she blames herself for her brother, it's about all the ponies disappearing."

"They're just moving out of town, that's not Twilight's fault."

"Did ya know Mac left? Twilight says he got drafted, and that he left without even saying goodbye to his family."

Dash raised an eyebrow, Mac was shy but devoted to his family. "Hmm, that does sound strange. Maybe you should ask Twilight about it."

"Ah did, she says it was last minute. Then, Rarity and Sweetie left without sayin' goodbye to anypony. Not me or Applebloom, broke my sis' heart," AJ explained. She glanced off towards the train station. “Apple Bloom and ah waited two hours, she refused ta go home. . .”

"I was wondering why the boutique was empty, it smells awful in there. I think some animals are living in it," Dash laughed.

"This ain't funny, Dash!” Applejack glared at the mare who seemed to be laughing at her sister’s expense and the missing friends. “First Lyra and Bon Bon die, then Snips and Snails families move out of town. Half a dozen other families move, Mac and Rarity vanish. . . Each time ponies are saying Twilight is the last one to talk to 'em."

“Easy,” Dash responded and quickyl gave her an innocent smile. "If I've learned one thing here, AJ, it's that not everypony is a spy. Just Pinkie."

"Look, all ah want you to do is keep your eyes open. Ah sent Mac to return a book, he gets drafted. Ah'm s'posed to meet Rarity at the train station, she never shows. Just tell me if ya notice anything odd about Twilight." Applejack’s mind flashed back to a nightmare she had last night, of Big Mac chained up in a dungeon. It was a ridiculous thought, yet she couldn’t shake that feeling her brother was in trouble.

"Fine, I was headed to tell her about the Wonderbolts anyway. However, practice starts in a few days so I won't be in town for long," Dash declared.

With a beat of her wings, Rainbow took to the air and flew towards Twilight's house. The sun was setting quickly and she still had a lot of packing to do.

The first thing she noticed was Twilight and Silver having a friendly conversation. They walked into the library together. Dash had never seen the two talking before, in fact most ponies in town avoided Diamond and Silver's families. They had a way of being really snooty.

With her curiosity piqued, she glanced through a window. First Twilight went and got a book from a shelf. Then she lead the filly down into the basement. Dash considered following them down there, and started laughing. Twilight would never hurt a filly. This wasn’t some fiction novel about a serial killer with a basement full of pelts.

Dash flew away to see if she could find Scootaloo and give her the good news next.


Author's Note:

Twilight's Dollhouse: Population 24