• Published 3rd Feb 2012
  • 1,656 Views, 22 Comments

Order-naries - CTVulpin



Four OCs, seven magic Gems, a Chaos Demon, Season 1 canon only, imported from FF.net

  • ...
2
 22
 1,656

Chapter 12

"You are not allowed back into Cloudsdale Ashen Blaze." Several hours had passed before the group returned from Cloudsdale, and it hadn't taken them long to track down Ashen Blaze, since the hole his fall had punched in the roof of Sugar Cube Corner was still present. None of them were particularly happy when the ash-grey unicorn greeted them, but it wasn't until the Order-naries were walking back to Sweet Apple Acres after dinner that he found out why. Soul Mage had apparently drawn the short straw, and so it was he that had broken the news.

The ash-grey unicorn with the fire-like mane shrugged. "Meh," he said flippantly, "It's not like there's another Gem up there anyway."

"I'm serious Ash," Soul Mage said, looking straight into Ash's eyes, "It took us hours to convince the city watch not to arrest us as accomplices to your petty theft."

"Petty theft?" Ash said, insulted, "I stole a hoof-sized, flawless topaz from a famous fashion designer's house in broad daylight. Surely that qualifies as Grand Theft, or at least a felony."

Soul glared disapprovingly at the grey unicorn in silence for several seconds before continuing. "Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash got off easy," he said, "Dash because she tried to catch you, and Fluttershy because… well, she's Fluttershy. The watch didn't even think for a second a fragile-looking, nervous waif like her could've had anything to do with a theft. Twilight got off because of her connections to Princess Celestia, and Rarity made an excellent case for herself. As for Heart and myself, we only got off if we swore an oath to turn you in if you ever set foot in Cloudsdale again."

"Again, meh," Ash said, "It's not like there's another Gem up there."

"You're in hot water," Soul said, "It won't be long before the story spreads across the world. Cloudsdale weather ponies do a lot of traveling you know. Step out of line again…"

"Step out of-" Ash started to protest, but then thought better of it and sighed. "You're right," he said, "It won't do to lose the trust of Twilight and her friends. Especially since Applejack's letting us crash at her place."

"So you'll behave yourself?" Soul asked, "No more stealing Gems, no matter how easy it may be?"

"You have my word," Ash said solemnly.


"Pardon me Fluttershy." The pale yellow Pegasus almost dropped the carrot she was holding in surprise. She set it down gently in front of Angel Bunny before turning around to face her surprise visitor. Angel picked the carrot up and scampered off to eat it in peace as soon as Fluttershy's back was turned.

"Oh, hello Ashen Blaze," Fluttershy said, "What brings you here?"

Ash took a few steps past the gate around Fluttershy's yard before stopping, not quite meeting her eye. "Where," he said hesitantly, "where do we stand, you and I?" Seeing Fluttershy's confused expression, he tried again. "What I did yesterday," he said, "I can make a lot of excuses about it, but the fact stands I stole from your parents. You didn't seem to be having a good time with them, but they are your parents…"

"Oh," Fluttershy said, "Uh… you don't have to worry about that."

"Yes, I do," Ash said, "You didn't have to come with us. You didn't want to come, but we made you, and that led to, well, everything that happened. We shouldn't have involved you."

"No, no, it's ok," Fluttershy said, adopting the soothing tone she usually used on her animals, "You didn't know, and I could have kept quiet about knowing where… mother's store was. To be honest, I was hoping, just a little, that if I had my friends around me, my parents might be…"

"More approving?" Ash asked.

Fluttershy nodded. "Father was right," she said quietly, "My talent's not what you'd normally expect of a Pegasus, especially one born in Cloudsdale like me. I'd never been to the ground before that day when I got my cutie-mark." A happy smile came to her face as she thought back.

"Really?" Ash asked, "No offense, but with your apparent weakness in flight…"

"Oh, you can walk just about anywhere in Cloudsdale," Fluttershy said, "It takes a few years for Pegasus wings to get strong enough for flight. Summer Flight Camp's purpose to help train your wings, but even considering that, I was one of the weakest fliers attending that year. There were some colts that were making fun of me, and Rainbow Dash stood up for me and challenged them to a race. They had me wave the flag to start them off, and their speed left me spinning and I fell off the cloud I was standing on. A swarm of butterflies was nice enough to catch me and…" She trailed off upon seeing Ash's incredulous reaction to that sentence. "What?"

Ash shook his head and muttered something. "Never mind," he said, "continue, please."

"Ok," Fluttershy said, trying to regain her train of thought, "Uh… when I landed, I met all these cute little animals - squirrels, raccoons, birds – and fell in love with all of them. Just a few moments later, Rainbow Dash pulled off her first Sonic Rainboom and the sound sent all the animals running in fear. As I tried to calm them I realized that was my special talent, and my cutie-mark appeared." Ash nodded as he looked at the pink butterflies. Fluttershy's face fell a little as she spoke again, "I knew my parents wouldn't approve, so I didn't tell them anything about my cutie-mark or the animal-tending job I found here in Ponyville. I write them occasionally, just to let them know I'm still ok, but yesterday was the first time I've actually seen them in years."

"Sorry again," Ash said, "I guess things will be a bit tougher for you now."

"Oh, I'll be ok," Fluttershy said unconvincingly, "Besides it was…" she blushed deeply. "What you did shocked them both so much, and I…"

"Felt a little satisfaction from it," Ash supplied. Fluttershy's blush deepened and she turned away from the unicorn, ashamed. "Twilight told me you embody the Element of Kindness," Ash said, "So I guess it's hard to admit when somepony's misery makes you happy. I admire that Fluttershy, such purity's hard to find. Don't ever change. Somebody has to balance me out." He smirked at the confused glance Fluttershy gave him. "Well," Ash said, preparing to turn away, "it was nice talking to you. I'll let you get back to work now." A sudden rumbling of the ground coincided with his turn, throwing him off his feet. Fluttershy squeaked in alarm and shrank to the ground until the shaking stopped.

"Oh dear," she said, looking around at the chaos breaking out amongst the animals in her yard, "Oh dear, please calm down everyone!" She stood back up and began running around, trying to corral and calm her charges.

Ash tried to get to his feet, only to be knocked down by another tremor. "Ponyville's not given to earthquakes normally, is it?" he asked, standing up at last.

"N-no," Fluttershy said distractedly.

"That bears investigating then," the unicorn said, "I'll be going then, if you don't need any help?" Fluttershy was too busy gathering her animals to respond, so Ash shrugged and headed back into town at a gallop.

He arrived at the town square to find the entire town gathered in front a large stone stage complete with a curtain of earth. He worked his way through the mass of ponies until he found Soul Mage, Gold Heart, and Gale standing toward the right-hand side a third of the way from the back. Applejack, Twilight, and Rarity were a short ways off with Rainbow Dash hovering over them. "What's all this?" Ash asked.

"Dollars to donuts it's somepony using the Emerald," Soul said, "This stone wagon of some sort rumbled into town and turned into that. We've been standing here trying to figure out what it is, but most of the ponies here seem to be expecting a show."

"Well, it is a stage," Heart pointed out.

"If the new Emerald's involved," Ash said, "Whoever found it would have had three days at most to master its use. That's impressive; I'd like to meet them."

"I think we're about to," Gale said, pointing. The dirt curtains were shaking violently, and then collapsed in a cloud of dust that was quickly sucked into the stage. In their place stood a blue mare with silvery-blue hair wearing a purple, star-studded cape and a matching pointed conical hat. Murmurs went up from the crowd as she grinned sardonically at them.

"Her?" Rarity exclaimed, "She's got a lot of nerve showing her face here again."

"You can say that again," Applejack said sourly. Rainbow Dash was just glaring at the mare. A large portion of the crowd seemed to share their sentiments, but the pony on the stage wasn't deterred.

"Yes," she said in a loud voice, "your eyes do not deceive you. The Great and Powerful Trixie has returned, and this time her power will not be denied."

"Who's this?" Ash asked, lifting his voice to carry over to Twilight's group.

"Just watch," AJ replied, "You'll catch on in a moment, I'm sure."

"All of you," Trixie said, "you who doubted the Great and Powerful Trixie and laughed her to scorn, behold her power!" She raised her front legs into the air and the stage broke free of the ground and flew up several feet. Jaws dropped all around as every pony craned their necks to look up at the sight. "I am the master of the very ground!" Trixie declared, bringing the stage back down, "Is there any pony who can doubt the Greatness of Trixie now, Ponyville?" She scanned the audience, and located Twilight, who was as awestruck as the rest. "But perhaps a better demonstration is in order," she said, "I challenge the pony who shamed me to match her power against mine."

"Don't," Ash advised Twilight, fishing around in his pack for PC, "She's using a Gem, and she's good at it."

"I wasn't planning to," Twilight said, "I don't use my gifts to show- eeep!" The ground beneath her suddenly rose up, turning into a floating platform that carried her over the crowd and dumped her roughly onto the stage.

"Stand," Trixie ordered. Twilight got to her feet and tried to speak, but Trixie cut her off. "Show Trixie your power again," the blue unicorn demanded, "Let us see how you do without an Ursa Minor to lull."

"No Trixie," Twilight said, "I'm not going to play your game. I never wanted to compare my talent with yours; my only thought was to protect Ponyville."

"That's right!" Rainbow Dash shouted, flying to join her friend, "She doesn't have to prove anything to a braggart like you!"

"Braggart?" Trixie said, insulted, "Could a simple braggart do this?" She stamped the stage and a stone wall shot out of the ground to block the Pegasus. Dash tried to fly around it, only to find herself caught in a tiny tornado of rainbows that spun her around and threw her back into the crowd.

"That's it," Ash said, placing PC on his head, "We need to take action before somepony gets injured." He started to push through the crowd, only to find his progress stopped by a tug on his tail. He looked back to see Heart holding his red and orange tail in her mouth. "What?" he asked.

"You shouldn't go up there," Soul said, "Promise or no promise, I don't think you can keep your temper if you confront her."

"You have a better suggestion?" Ash asked, "We need to get the Emerald away from her."

"Soul and I will handle this," Heart said, dropping Ash's tail, "All we need to do is pull off a stunt she can't top."

"And you think your skills can do that?" the ash-grey unicorn asked, "What are you going to do? Tear up the stage with Element Wheel?"

"We can use the Gems too you know," Heart said, "Even Gale can. Just…" She looked to her brother. "Actually, what could we do?" she asked. Ash scoffed and turned away again.

"Wait," Soul said, "I have a plan. Ash, where exactly is she keeping the Emerald?"

Ash narrowed an eye at the golden-yellow unicorn before turning to look at the stage and made PC scan it. "Embedded in the stage," he said, "near the surface at center-stage. She's tapping its power with her magic."

"Ok," Soul said, "we'll need the Sapphire and Ruby to pull this off. Heart, you take the Sapphire and follow my lead."

Ash gave the pair a questioning look as he produced the two Gems and gave them to Heart and Soul. "Good luck, I guess," he said.

"Come on," Trixie said impatiently, "I know you have the power. Show it to me, and see if it can match this." The stage morphed around Twilight, creating part of a cage around her. Twilight gulped and glanced about nervously, but held her ground.

"No," she said, "I won't be bullied."

"Come on!" Trixie howled, "Ever since that night, I've dreamed of this day, and you will not deny me of it! Show Trixie your power so she can show you how weak it is now!"

"Oi! Arrogant and Obsessive Trixie!" The two mares looked toward the shout and saw a brown-haired, golden-yellow pegasus carrying a matching unicorn through the air, followed by gemstones. Gold Heart dropped Soul Mage onto the stage and landed next to him as Soul completed his challenge, "You want a contest, we'll give it to you."

"Who are you?" Trixie asked.

"Soul Mage," said, striking a pose, "and this Gold Heart, my… partner. You don't object to a team effort do you?"

"…No," Trixie said, eyeing the ponies suspiciously, "now, what makes you think you are better than the Great and Powerful Trixie?"

"I could go on for hours on that," Soul said, "but, you only care about our skills. I can tell you this with certainty: we know where your power's coming from, and we can use it better than you."

Trixie blinked in surprise, her eyes darting briefly to the gems floating around Soul's head. "Is that so?" she asked, "Well, prove it then."

"Just a moment," Soul said, holding up a hoof, "I'm in a betting mood, so let's make a wager. If you win this contest, you can have one of these Gems here, you're choice. Each has power equal to the one you're using, but in different elements. If we win, we get your Gem." Out in the audience, Ashen Blaze facehoofed. Don't risk our Gems! he yelled mentally, forcing himself to give Heart and Soul a chance.

"Trixie is intrigued," the blue unicorn said, rubbing her chin, "Do you have a specific challenge in mind?"

"Yep," Soul said with a confident nod. He turned to the audience and shouted, "Back away ponies, we'll need a lot of open space to work." As the crowd slowly moved back, Soul turned back to Trixie and said, "The challenge is this: we'll each use the power available to us to create a stone statue. The more impressive one wins. For fairness, Heart here will create a veil of mist to hide our work until we're done, and the audience will decide which one wins."

Trixie mulled that over for several minutes before nodding. "Trixie accepts your challenge."

"Great," Soul said, "Heart, if you will?"

"Are you sure about this?" Heart asked him a low voice as she took flight and grabbed the Sapphire.

"Just stay in link range," Soul muttered back, "I might need your help managing the power." Heart nodded and flew up higher, activating the Sapphire as she went. A heavy mist rose up from the nearby river and flowed toward the stage, creating a thick curtain that separated the audience from the contestants and the contestants from one another. A heavy rumbling shook the ground as the two unicorns set to work.

"I really hope this works," Ash muttered.

"What, yah don't trust them to do a good job?" Applejack asked.

"I trust them to do their best," Ash replied, "But I've never known Soul to be an artist. Not that we ever had much opportunity to share hobbies with each other…" He sighed and sat down to wait, the only pony not even slightly upset by the shaking ground.

Several minutes went by, and then the ground settled and Soul's voice rang out from within the mist, "You ready over there Trix?"

There was a pause before Trixie responded, "Ready." The two unicorns stepped out of the mist and turned around to face the curtain.

"Show us the first one Heart," Soul said. Gold Heart nodded and began circling as the right half of the mist curtain flew up to gather around her before flying back into the river. Sounds of awe and polite clopping greeted the first statue, which was a nearly perfect likeness of Trixie rearing up with her cape billowing out behind her, only three times the size of the real thing and stone-grey throughout. Trixie couldn't keep the pride out of her posture as Soul gestured for the audience to voice their opinions. "Number two now," he called out once the noise died down. Heart quickly removed the rest of the mist, and a collective gasp went up from the crowd. Trixie stood slack-jawed at Soul Mage's creation, which looked like a phoenix preparing for flight, wings spread wide and with its head cocked to one side as if regarding the audience. The amazing thing about it, however, was that it was glowing. Embedded in the Phoenix's visible eye was the Ruby, which was heating the statue's wings and body under Soul's command, causing the rock to glow in numerous shades of red and orange in a pattern that gave the stone phoenix the illusion of subtle, life-like movement. "Well?" Soul asked the stunned crowd, managing to keep a neutral tone in his voice. The response was almost deafening.

"You… you cheated," Trixie yelled at Soul over the noise.

"Not so," Soul responded, "I told you, whatever power we had available was eligible for use. It's your own fault for not thinking to try and use the Gems I brought up with me." Trixie fumed, but she knew she'd been beaten fair and square. She couldn't talk her way out of this humiliation, just like the last time…

"Fine then!" she shouted as the cheers and applause died down, "Take your prize." Twilight barely had time to jump off the stage before it and the Trixie statue collapsed. A large emerald flew out of the remains of the stage, wrapped in Trixie's magic, and flew toward Soul Mage. Soul reached out his magic to take it, only for it to be snatched away by another. Ash, who had worked his way to the front of the crowd during the fanfare, looked the roughly-cut Gem over critically before placing it in his saddlebag.

"You surprised me Soul," he said, "I never knew you were so creative."

"I have to be," Soul said with a smile, "As you're so fond of pointing out, I have a smaller set of tricks I can use, so I have to put more effort into making them work for me. I got the idea for this from the buildings in Cloudsdale. I figured that since the Emerald lets one mold the earth like… well, wet clay, I could easily copy those cloud sculptures."

"Clever," Ash said, smiling back, "The fire glow was a nice touch." Soul nodded appreciatively as Ash turned to Trixie. "You have quite the gift girl," he said, "It's a shame you're wasting it."

"What do you mean?" Trixie asked testily, "I am the Great and Powerful Trixie. I have the power to amaze and astound, and you must admit I did that here."

"For the wrong reason," Ash said, "quiet the ego for a second and let me give you some advice: the livelihood of the performer depends on the audience's reaction to them. Please the audience first, yourself second."

Trixie mulled that over for a second, and then turned her nose up and said, "Hmph, what would you know?"

"He has a point Trixie," Twilight said, coming over to the group, "And by the way, I don't blame you for what happened last time. You didn't have to run away; we would have helped you fix yourself up."

"S-shut up," Trixie stammered, backing away, "Trixie does not need your help!" She activated her magic and created a burst of light and smoke and ran away while everyone was blinded.

"Pleh," Ash said once his vision cleared, "Drama queens…"

"Hey, at least we're up another Gem," Soul pointed out.

"Yeah," Ashen Blaze said, "Five out of seven. This is going way too well."