• Published 18th Mar 2013
  • 32,639 Views, 949 Comments

The Watcher - GnollReader



A creature of old has been present in Equestria since the beginning of the rule of the alicorns, watching, waiting. He saw their fall and the sisters' rise to power. Now, for the first time in eons, he steps from watching and takes action.

  • ...
41
 949
 32,639

Chapter 9: Damage control

His anger burned her very soul, "Speak, where did you get it?" the shadows started to draw towards her body again.

Chrysalis' eyes widened in fear as she realized he intended to repeat her torture, "A voice! A voice from shadows gave it to us!" she trembled in fear.

The shadows slowed down a bit, "What did it look like?"

"It was a swirl of black shadows, just like the one you stepped forth from."

He sneered at her, "If that is all you know then I have no use for you." the shadows started to move again.

"No! Wait! I saw its face!" she whimpered, "It was a golden mask!"

The shadows froze and she felt something terrible in his emotions, "A golden mask?" his eyes narrowed, "What did it say?"

"He said he had the means to end our enemies! He gave us the artifact and told us to use it!"

"He?... What else?" he shook her with new found anger, "What else did he say?"

"Nothing!" she croaked, "Nothing, I swear!"

His eyes burned into hers as he observed her shaking form. Without another word, he flung her away from him, making her hit the stone floor hard. "Your race..." he said as the mask started to reform around his face, "Disgusts me. You feed of the souls of your prey, tainting their life force, corrupting it... making it as worthless to me as your own."

The shadows started to collect around him, "Had you succeeded... I would have ended this world before you could have corrupted my work. I have watched you parasites for so long now, your mere presence sickens me. Yet... you will live..." The shadows drew closer, until only his mask could be seen, "But know this, when the end comes... I will come for you first." the shadows swirled another time, drew close, and he vanished.

---

For a moment, he allowed the phase to separate itself from the natural flow, cutting him off from the world and its time flow. He stood and silently watched the darkness around him as he contemplated what Chrysalis had told him. He was certain now, there was a dissident in this world.

When his kind had first stepped into the void they were eager to leave it as soon as possible. They had searched the worlds without rest for years to find a world capable of sustaining their life. When they finally found one though, they learned to their dismay that leaving the void after such a long time was no longer possible by the same means they had used to enter it.

To be able to leave the void and transgress through the dimensions, they had to become one with it. With the fusion came immense power, but not all were suited for this change. For every one of them able to survive the fusion, there were thousands that didn't. In the first week they lost so many that they gave up the notion of leaving the void again forever. Those that did survive the fusion would later become the purveyors, those that remained formed the councils and the royal families, reigning over those that were created within the void.

Naturally though, there had been a dispute between those responsible to feed their kind on how to collect the required life force. The purveyors did not wish to interrupt the natural flow of the cycle, and intended to collect what would remain after a life cycle. Watching, not interfering and waiting patiently for the end of the cycle to come and pass the gathered energy on before the world would vanish, unless it was direly needed or the accumulated energy was in danger of being corrupted.

The others though, the dissidents, had other ideas. They proclaimed themselves above all others, seeing themselves as gods to their people unlike the purveyors who saw themselves as servants to their kind. While the purveyors carried black and faceless masks to show their servitude the dissidents wore golden mask and armor to show their power. They wanted to take the required energy by force, not caring for the countless souls they would doom in the process or the natural order of the cycle. It was disgusting, and it lead to a civil war that pulled all of them into a bloody conflict that cost them almost half of their already diminished population.

In the end, the purveyors had won the upper hand. The dissidents were killed, and the few of them that survived were driven into hiding. There were rumors that some of the older families hid them, but that could never be proven. During the time it took to rebuild their society and reinstate a new form of government, the purveyors ruled. And they did so with an unbending mercilessness for years. The survival of their race was the only thing that mattered, and their actions had insured that.

When they had finally been able to set up a new order and were ready to fully concentrate on their function as purveyors, they were feared by the very humans they served. They had become a nightmare to their own kind. The fact that one of them would return to the void only once in thousands of years served to further deepen the fear of them. It didn't matter though, they had taken a vow to ensure the survival of their race and they would stand by it until their death.

The dissident's actions in this world... he pondered on it. If the dissidents would dare destroy a world on their own, they would be found the moment they opened the tear and be executed. They would not dare make such a move... No, they tried to influence the purveyors instead. They would try to influence his actions... that thought alone was enough to enrage him. If the changelings had succeeded... they would have corrupted everything. They would have tainted the flow in this world, and at some point, he would have to destroy this world in order to protect the collected life force less it be tainted too.

How long had they been playing this game with him? The alicorns' fall, Discords rise and descent into madness... all those events had put him close to initiating the transfer earlier than naturally intended, but now he feared that there had been more to it than he had seen. Combined with the news of a religious conflict rising in the void... it put a bitter taste in his mouth. He would not suffer to be made a fool of like this.

He stepped from the void and reappeared inside the old castle ruins located in the Everfree. It wasn't perfect for what he intended to do, but it would be sufficient. The flow was different here than in the rest of Equestria, free of their magic and more simple to bend.

Slowly, he started to spread out the void from within him, turning and changing the reality around him, tearing at the very fabric of time and space. The air around him started to roar and crack with the energy put free by his actions. The alicorns would not like what was about to happen, but to hell with them. There was a dissident in this world, and he intended to pull him from his hiding place. He would not permit anyone to meddle with his work, never.

---

They felt it, the moment it started they felt it cut through their minds like a scream. Celestia and Luna rushed to the balcony, watching in horror as they saw the Everfree. A roaring pillar of black smoke was rising into the sky, tentacles of black shadows dancing on its edges. Slowly, a thin, white line started to open in its middle, and a scream thundered through the dimensions that even they could hear.

"No..." Celestia whispered in horror as she watched the unnatural spectacle continue, "Please, no..." Without another word she and Luna flew off, rushing towards the black pillar with desperate speed, both of them fearful of what they would find.