• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 1,798 Views, 26 Comments

Twilight Rainbows - Cynical



We may not live forever, but we can still leave a legacy

  • ...
8
 26
 1,798

A Job

“Rainbow Dash!” the shout echoed up and down the cavernous corridors and passageways of Canterlot castle, causing some of the crystal teardrops hanging from the chandelier above to vibrate slightly, resonating.
The named pegasus stopped humming, turning her head towards the source of the shout, “Yeah Twi?”
“Do you have to hum constantly?” she asked, exasperated.
Rainbow shrugged, “I’m bored, what can I say.”

Twilight gritted her teeth, trying her best to control her temper, “Don’t you have a routine to practice perhaps?”
Rainbow snorted, laying back on the floor, “Learnt it three years ago, Spits says that I don’t need to come in for regular practice anymore, at least not while they’re training newbies.”
Twilight groaned internally, looking at the stack of paperwork in front of her before turning back to Rainbow Dash, “Well can’t you hum somewhere else maybe? I have a lot of work to do.”

Rainbow shook her head, “Where else? Plus you’re the only pony I actually know around here Twi.” She paused, “Why don’t we go for a walk, that’ll help you calm down.” She said with a smile which Twilight did not return.
“I’m. Not. Stressed.” Twilight said, biting off each word with finality. Rainbow just quirked her head and fixed her gaze on the bin overflowing with cracked quills, sheets of paper and empty ink bottles. Twilight’s jaw slowly unclenched itself, opening to allow the sigh to pass through, “Alright… I guess you’re right.”

“Then what are we waiting for, let’s go.” Rainbow said, launching herself up from the floor with agility that would have made Pinkie Pie jealous.
“Fine… just give me a moment to tidy up.” Twilight replied, gesturing to the mound of papers, quills and booklets that littered the desk.
Rainbow nodded, walking over to the door and waiting as Twilight’s magic enveloped the vast number of papers and stationary on the desk, lifting them all up as one and sorting them into a number of piles and within a matter of moments, it was done and Twilight turned from the desk and joined Rainbow at the door.

“Ready?” Rainbow asked.
“Sure, let’s go.” Came the reply.


“So how much did you know about, you know…?” Apple Slice asked, looking pointedly to the right again before turning back to Celestia.
“More than they thought I did, less than I’d have liked to know.” Came the reply, accompanied by a whimsical smile from the old monarch. “I had my suspicions after a little while, small things, they travelled together, they ate together, I even think they slept in the same room once or twice. But I never knew for certain...”