• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 1,798 Views, 26 Comments

Twilight Rainbows - Cynical



We may not live forever, but we can still leave a legacy

  • ...
8
 26
 1,798

A Memory

Twilight Sparkle sighed heavily, looking around Ponyville with a sad smile as she remembered her many memories here. She’d lived here for five years, long enough to become known as the town librarian by name and long enough that she had needed to think long and hard before finally accepting Celestia’s request to move back to Canterlot.

Except it seemed like she’d be leaving behind so much. Twilight wasn’t one for sentimentalities, but she’d felt a genuine connection to the town that had offered her so much and given her a home away from home, not to mention her friends which had had her back every step of the way. Except for now it seemed. Twilight couldn’t really blame them, they all had lives to live here, they all had jobs and were all established here with each other long before Twilight had ever come along.

Now there was only Rainbow to talk to, she’d seen each of her other friends and they’d all replied a negative, some with more persuasion than others. But it wasn’t in Twilight to drag them away from their homes and families to fulfil her own wishes, or Celestia’s in any case. She didn’t regret putting her hoof down, Rarity had a family here, she had her life and business to run and Sweetie Belle to take care of.

Twilight steeled herself for another refusal, it was obvious that Rainbow would want to stay here, she had her job, her home and her friends grounded here. Maybe she’d try to come with Twilight, but she was sure that after pointing out the cold logic to Rainbow, she’d agree with her, better to let her go quietly, there’d be less tears at the station.

Speaking of Rainbow for that matter, she hadn’t seen hide nor hair of the pegasus all day, nor since she’d announced to all her friends that she was going to be leaving and she’d given them a few days to decide on their own choices. But that time was now up, she’d need to go and find Rainbow first it seemed. Deciding to head back to the library to pick up her hot air balloon, she set off, deep in thought as to where her friend was.

As it turned out, she was on her doorstep, perched on a small suitcase and swinging her legs impatiently as she waited. Upon seeing Twilight, she waved, smiling brightly at her before hopping off the suitcase and waiting by the door for Twilight, who was walking over with her mouth open.

“So I made my decision.” Rainbow said, smiling brightly at Twilight.
“Bu- bu- but, what about your job, your home, your life?” Twilight garbled, her previously well-thought out cold logic long gone as she tried to rationalise Rainbow’s thoughts.
“Yeah, well I’m sure Canterlot has a weather team just waiting for the Dash to join them.” Rainbow replied, striking a pose before falling onto her hooves again. “As for my home, you said that the Princess was going to be providing accommodation right?”

Twilight nodded, struck dumb by Rainbows replies.
“Well then what’s the problem? You asked us all if we wanted to go, I’m saying that I want to go.”
Regaining some semblance of coherence, Twilight finally replied, “But what about your friends, they’re all staying here.”
“Our friends Twi, and fine. If they’re not going to come with you to accompany you, all the more reason for me to come.”
Twilight opened and closed her mouth a few more times, before sighing and nodding. “Fine. But the train leaves in an hour.”
Rainbow gestured to her suitcase expectantly, looking back at Twilight with a wry smile.

“Oh shut up.”


“She was the only one who accompanied her when she left, and she stayed there for that matter.”
“So what happened?” Apple asked, looking over at Celestia.
“Time happened I suppose. Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle stayed at the castle for a number of years, their other friends visited once a week, then once a month, then the odd day out of the blue. Of course, she still had Rainbow Dash for daily life, except I think that got a bit too hectic for her sometimes.”