• Published 18th Mar 2013
  • 2,522 Views, 16 Comments

A Midnight Snack - blueApposite



Rarijack. Mostly fluff, some kissing. Alcohol consumption and tired conversations. Humanized.

  • ...
3
 16
 2,522

Late Night Stirrings

Applejack lay still, staring at the wooden ceiling above her. A stony silence permeated the air, and a growing sensation of boredom slowly crept over her, threatening to close her eyelids, but retreating at the last possible moment. She couldn’t tell if it was due to insomnia, lack of tiredness, or plain discomfort, but Applejack couldn’t sleep. She was invited to Twilight’s for a sleepover, and happily accepted – she knew she’d probably wind up on the hard floor, which was fine. Whatever the cause, she was restless.

Applejack turned her head, looking across the room. Her friends were all asleep on the floor – Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were in a heap in the corner, Pinkie Pie was inverted across an armchair, Twilight was propped up against said arm chair, and Rarity was asleep on a couch above her.

"Great. Bad enough that I can’t sleep, but there ain’t even someone to talk to."

Applejack tossed and turned for several minutes, trying to find a comfortable position to rest in. She gave up, diverting her eyes towards a clock – her eyes widened at the sight.

"Sweet Nelly. This is gettin’ ridiculous."

It was quarter after two in the morning, and there was no sign of Applejack being able to sleep. She frowned, then curled up in a ball; causing her to accidentally bump her back into the couch behind her. Rarity groaned and shuffled around a bit, but remained asleep.

“Hey, Rair’… Don’t suppose y'all are awake, huh?” Applejack whispered, hoping to get a response. Rarity only moaned lazily and snored. “I reckon you’re still asleep,” Applejack said with a joking tone. Rarity adjusted her head, causing a lock of her hair to fall gingerly on Applejack’s nose. She laughed quietly, then brushed the hair from her face. “Yup, looks like it.”

With a heavy sigh, Applejack pulled herself up into a sitting position. She lazily scanned the room, listening to the steady beat of the clock's pendulum - she observed her friends as they slept. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were asleep in the corner - Rainbow was leaning against Fluttershy's shoulder, mouth open and drooling. Fluttershy, on the other hand, had a soft smile on her face - "Is it even possible to smile in your sleep?" Applejack pondered. Her view tilted towards Pinkie and Twilight - earlier in the evening, they had argued over who would sleep in the armchair... it looks like Pinkie won that argument, as Twilight was sitting on the ground, propped up against the chair, her head beside Pinkie's. She was clutching a book, and Pinkie would occasionally twitch. "Dang kid. Can't tell if she's dreaming or if she's just going through withdrawals from all that sugar she eats."

She turned around, and was face to face with Rarity. Her face turned a pale red, and she backed up - it was slightly too close for comfort. She sure did look nice, though. Her hair was messy and wavy, yet still held its illustrious charm - her lips were open just slightly, and she still had a tinge of pink lipstick on. Her skin was pale white, like snow, and... "Gosh, you're pretty up close, Rarity." Applejack said quietly. Her face was notably red by this point, but she continued to stare - not out of lust, but jealousy. She never let it bother her, but she couldn't help but notice the other girls have certain charms about them; their laughs and smiles, their eyes, their hips... all Applejack had going for her was muscles, and she didn't find them particularly beautiful. She noticed Rarity's mouth was beginning to open - she began to snore . Applejack chuckled quietly, "Didn't think pretty girls were capable of that noise, Rair'. Thought it was just me."

Applejack laid her head back down, smiling. Upon landing on the pillow, her stomach erupted in an unpleasant growl. With that, Applejack realized that she hadn’t eaten in hours, and on top of that, the last time she ate she barely touched her plate. Rainbow Dash seemed rather enthusiastic about a new recipe she tried earlier, so it was decided that she would cook - this was immediately found to be a terrible idea, as the result was a bitter, spicy mess that was mostly thrown in the garbage. Rainbow enjoyed her portion fully.

I don’t suppose Twilight would mind terribly if I made myself up a midnight snack. Guess I’ll head over to the kitchen and fix myself something edible.

She slowly got up, grabbing her plaid button-up shirt from the floor. She carefully slid her arms into it, and began to tip-toe softly across the floor, not to wake anyone. Suddenly, she froze as she heard a whisper from behind – “Applejaaaack. I’m thirsty.”

Applejack turned around to see Rarity sitting up; eyebrows furled, lips pursed, hair messy. “I want a glass of water.” Her voice lacked its natural elegance and poise, instead possessing a tone similar to a spoiled child. Applejack shushed her, gesturing her to follow.

“Quiet Rair’,” she whispered loudly. “I’m headed to the kitchen now, so come along if you want something.” Rarity smiled and half-nodded. She lazily stood up, raising her arms above her head and stretching – she sighed softly, and trudged loudly across the floor. Applejack scoffed angrily. “Keep quiet! You’ll wake everyone up if you drag your feet like that!” Rarity waved a hand in dismissal.

“Oh, don’t worry Applejack, they’re all fast asleep. It would take a terribly loud noise to wake them at this point.” Applejack ran a hand through her hair in frustration.

“Oh, fine fine. Put on a damn shirt, though,” she whispered harshly. Rarity looked down at her outfit – a white undershirt and purple shorts.

“What’s wrong with this? Is it out of season?” Rarity asked. “Oh my, I didn’t think it would be too much of a fuss to wear-” Applejack cut her off.

“It’s cold downstairs.” Rarity waved her hand in dismissal once again, blushing slightly.

“Oh, right, right.” She tiptoed towards Rainbow Dash, who was using her light blue cardigan as a blanket. “I’m sorry Rainbow Dash, I need this more than you.” She gently removed it from Dash’s back, then put it on herself.

“Ok, let’s just be quiet now. We can talk when we’re in the kitchen.” Applejack whispered, making her way down the stairs. “Good gosh am I famished. Couldn’t bring myself to eat none of th-”

“WONDERBOLTS ACADEMY.”

Rarity and Applejack froze completely. They both turned to face Rainbow Dash who had bolted upwards, eyes wide open. Rarity covered her mouth, trying not to laugh. She whispered light-heartedly, “Yes, Rainbow Dash, you’re at the glorious Wonderbolt Academy. Now go back to sleep.” Dash smiled sweetly, then laid her head back on Fluttershy’s shoulder.

“Yeah… Wonderbolts… so… cool…” She fell back asleep and began to snore. Rarity and Applejack looked at each other, shrugged, then made their way towards the kitchen.

Author's Note:

Literally my first fanfiction I've posted anywhere.

Comment, rate, and critique please, if it's not too much trouble. :)