• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 589 Views, 2 Comments

The first Lunar Laws - vadram



Ten stories that inspired Luna to create the first ten laws of Equestia

  • ...
2
 2
 589

Chapter 1: The First Law

The First Law

"Excellent" the man closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Upon exhaling he open them.
"Princess Luna, we must ask you to close your eyes, and concentrate on the sound of my voice”, one of his eyes turned yellow and the iris orange.

"Now remember the days when Discord ruled the land... exhale"
“Remember the green sky, the blue grass the, red clods, the blacks sun... exhale”
“You and your sister are in a cave, several white unicorns beside you... exhale”
“The sun is shinning bright, the ponies are freezing... exhale"
"They have gathered around you sister for warmth, she is asleep... exhale”
“It starts raining... a raindrop hits your hoof... it burns... exhale”
“In the distance you see a small shadow... exhale”
"It is moving… getting closer... and closer... and closer... exhale“
“Colors start become visible... shapes start forming... exhale”
“Before your eyes stand two brown earth ponies hiding under a large piece of tree bark... exhale”
“They notice you standing at the cave’s entrance... they stop... exhale”
“The wind picks up... the tree bark is blown from their backs... exhale”
“Luna, tell us what do you do?” the man snaps his fingers.

Everything looked so real. Luna was there now, she could feel the cold creeping inside her, the wind hitting her in the face, the place where the raindrop hit her hoof still hurt her.

In front of her two earth ponies tremble under a piece of tree bark. They were skinny, pieces of their coats were missing. They stopped a few feet from her, aware of the alicorn frightening aura. a strong gust of wind had blown the bark from the backs of the two ponies.

Without even thinking Luna had already reached them covering them with her wings. The rain felt like someone was dripping melted iron on her. She forced herself to smile.
"Come, lets get you to the cave, you will be safer inside"

The wind was even more powerful now, and Windigoes howls could be heard in the distance. The molten metal drops hitting her burned her, and the strong winds made it a very slow walk to the cave. After a long time Luna and the two finally arrived inside the cave.

“Sister i found two more” she said before collapsing.

Hours passed while she was resting. Most of the metal had hardened and had fallen off, taking chunks of her coat with them. She laid there tired and in pain feeling naked, but not cold.

With large portion of her body now without hair too keep her warm, and her magic almost depleted, she had expect to freeze. But she did not, on the contrary she was warm, It was a pleasant feeling. It reminded her of the nights she spent with her parents, before fate separated them. She did not want to move, she did not want to wake up, she just wanted to lay there a little longer.

“Luna wake up, the weather is getting worse, we need to go in deeper.”

“Yes, Lia.”

“Would you stop calling me that, we are not fillies anymore.”

She tried to moved, but saw that she was having trouble getting up. It was as if something was on her back, she turned her head to see what it was. Too her surprise the two earth ponies she had rescued earlier were sleeping by her side, keeping her warm. One of them had put her head on her back using her like a pillow.

Most of the unicorns they traveled with kept their distance from her, preferring to stay closer to Celestia, since she was warm like a summer day, while she was cold as a winters night. She had been sleeping alone for some time, and started getting used to it, but now these two stayed by her side.

"Come you two he have to get moving", she told the two as they began waking up.

“Thank you for saving us”, one of them said as they two ponies rose.

“Without your help we would have surely died in the rain.”

“We owe you our lives.”

"Think nothing of it." Luna got up, but she was wobbling.

The two ponies grabbed her from the sides and kept her up straight. The three of them slowly followed Celestia and the unicorns deeper in the cave, Celestia horn was glowing providing the group with light.

“Do you think we will be able to find any food down here?”

“We are in a cave, look around you do you see anything to eat?”

“You can always eat dirt”, one of the unicorns joked.

“Or some rocks if you want something stronger”

“Silence” Celestia commanded turning towards the bickering unicorns, they continued their descent in silence.

“Excuse us for asking, but could you tell us your name miss” one of the ponies asked Luna.

“My name is... Luna, everybody calls me Luna"

Luna was used to walking alone not having who to talk with, but these were stand next to her, it was awkward to say the least. Trying ease the tension she asked them for their names.

“We... We do not have any.”

“No names? How can that be, everypony has a name.”

“Well you see miss Luna... names are only important when you have to tell someone apart from another.”

“And since the mare that took care of us died we never meet anypony. It was the just the two us”

“So i take it you are brother and sister.”

“Honestly miss Luna we would not know."

"But we could be.”

"But we do not think we want to know."

Luna understood what they meant, by not wanting to know, and was so ashamed of herself for asking them such a question. A mare and stallion alone all their lives, and she asked them if they were siblings.

They have finally cached up with her rest of the group. The tunnel splinted into many smaller ones, and they were sitting there arguing, or debating as they wanted to call it, on which way they should go. Celestia was exhausted, she had not eaten in days, none of them had. Even the simple act of making her horn glowing was taking its toll on her. She did not have the strength to even order them around, or just tell them to be quiet.

One of the ponies raised her head and one of her front hoofs. She had left Luna's side and headed towards one of the tunnel. She digged the earth up a little.

“Can somepony get me a little light”, she asked of the unicorns, but they ignored her. Celestia stopped her spell to conserve what little energy she had left.

Luna slowly walked towards her with the assistance of the stallion and began channeling her magic. Her horn started glowing a dim blue, a few seconds later the light intensified a little but it only provide very little light.

“Does this help at all?”
“It does, a lot thank you.”, then turning to her companion, “well do not just stand there, help me dig”. The two began digging with their hoofs and soon the whole was big enough for both of the to fit in.

“Look, is that... yes it is, now pull.”

The two grabbed on to something and started pulling with all their strength. Luna tried getting closer and noticed the two were pulling on a root. It started emerging from the grown, cracking it as the two pulled harder in order to see where it led. It seemed to continue down the tunnel.

“Sister, I think there may find food if we follow this one.”

At the mention of the magic word the unicorns started running toward the dim blue light source. They passed Luna almost knocking her down.

The two earth ponies were not so lucky, they were pushed into the walls by the hungry mob of unicorn that ran by. Celestia followed soon after briefly thanking the two ponies and moving along through the tunnel.

“Shall we?” Luna ask as she appeared and started walking alongside the two.

The tunnel was long and uneven, the floor was slippery and from place to place sharp rocks popped out the ground, making it even harder to navigate without stepping on something, hitting the walls or knocking your head into something. Several times Luna managed to lose her balance and almost fell, but the two earth ponies stood close and made sure that it did not happen. But after a while it finally ended.

They were meet by a soft green light, it took a bit for their eyes to accommodate, but as soon as they did they were able see where the tunnel had lead them.

It was a large chamber, large enough the sisters could easily fly in, large since the light was not able to illuminate the whole room. The floor was covered by millions of tiny mushrooms, all of them glowing green . From the walls crystals were protruding, they were reflected the light coming from the mysterious fungi. They assumed that the water that was dripping came the ceiling. It had gathered into a rather large puddle close to the center of the room.

Celestia and the unicorns had already began eating by the time Luna and her companions entered the room.

“Will you be alright if we leave you here?” the two asked their alicorn savior, before gently helping her lay down.

“I will be fine, you go and eat something.”

The two ate a few mushrooms before headed towards the puddle to get some water. Luna grabbed some mushroom herself.

“It is the most vile thing I have ever ate..." she said to herself while chewing them "... so why do I want to eat them all.”

The two ponies returned shortly. After they ate a couple more mushrooms and drank some water, one of them though that they should bring some water to Luna. They took a largest mushroom cap and filled it with water, and brought it before her.

She drank a little, after what seemed like weeks without food, and days without water it felt good to finally eat something and get something to quench her thirst. Falling asleep shortly after. She did not sleep for long.

After waking up she saw the two ponies beside her, just like before. Only that this time they were not sleeping, they were just standing beside her keeping her warm. The water she drank earlier was gone, as well as the cap it was in. This time, after getting up she stood straight not wobbling any more. Finally she had gotten a bit of her strength back, after stretching her wings, she turned to her new friends and smiled.

“Come lets get something to drink.” The three walked towards the puddle, the two started to pick up speed, Luna remained behind, but she did not mind, she was walking at her own pace, there was no need to hurry.

As she headed for the puddle she passed a sleeping Celestia, a cap filled with water stood beside her.

“Rest now my sister you deserve it.”

When she finally got there, she could not believe her eyes. The unicorns were all around the puddle drinking, but when the two earth ponies tried to get some, they were pushed away.

“What is the meaning of this”, she addressed one of unicorns, “why are you not letting these two drink?”

“Ah miss Luna...", the unicorn was startled by her. "Come drink, there is plenty of water for you”, at the mention of her name all the other unicorns stopped drinking and nervously took a couple of steps back.

“If there is plenty of water then why can not these two ponies get a drink?”

“These two?” the unicorns looked confused until they realized she was talking about the earth ponies.

“These... earth ponies..." some unicorn said, visible disgusted at the mere mention of the words earth ponies "they can wait till us unicorns are finished.”

She understood where he was coming from, all unicorns are taught that they are the best. The earth ponies could be stronger, the pegasi could be faster, but they were smarter. They also had magic. Sure the pegasi could walk on clouds and manipulate the winds to some degree, but nothing a pegasus did compared to a unicorns magic abilities. She understood, and her old unicorn self would have agreed, but she could not, not now. Not after how the two ponies she saved stood by her.

“I do not care what they are. I do not care what you think about them, they saved our lives, all our lives. Without them we would still be deciding what tunnel to take”, anger could be heard in her voice.

“You can let them drink with you, or you can wait for them to finish before you drink.” Luna stomped her front hoof causing the entire cave to shake, some lose pieces of crystal fell from the walls.

“Come on drink with us you two” one of the unicorn said making some room for the two. He did not like it, but he really did not have say in the matter.

"A wise choice. Any of you who treats these two badly will answer to me.“

And from that moment is was known, that anypony, be it unicorn, pegasus or earth pony were equal in her eyes.

The FIRST LAW Luna would write after founding Equestria with her sister would read :
“Let it be known, from this day until the end, that no pony will be above another in our eyes. They shall be judged by their actions and by their actions alone. This is our will, and our will is law.”

Author's Note:

The first three chapters of "The first Lunar Laws" are taken from my other story "Dreams"
I loved these chapters so much that I decided to make a new story out of them.

Like always creative comments, plot holes identification, grammar mistakes, corrections and suggestions are welcome.