• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 2,747 Views, 36 Comments

Apple Bloom's Weird New Life - Princess Cadenza



Apple Bloom is all grown up now, and her new life is decided by Celestia.

  • ...
11
 36
 2,747

Chapter 5- Apple Bloom Gives Up

"Apple Bloom, what's wrong?" asked Sweetie Belle in the college dorm room. "You look so tired, like you haven't slept for days."

"I'm fine, Sweetie," said Apple Bloom. "It's just-- Being an Alicorn can be tiring, and..."

"I get it Apple Bloom," Sweetie said. "Well, it's almost 10:00 PM. If you're tired, why don't you hit the hay?"

"Okay," replied Apple Bloom. She rubbed her eyes and hopped into bed. Somehow her eyes wouldn't close and fall asleep. "Sweetie?"

"Yes?"

"I can't fall asleep." Apple Bloom rubbed her eyes even harder and closed them. Wouldn't work.

"Maybe you just can't fall asleep. Not after the weird stuff that's happened today, that was totally unexpected."

"I'll try to fall asleep."

But after a couple of hours, Apple Bloom still could not fall asleep. She tried all she could to fall asleep, but she couldn't. After midnight had struck, Bloom realized that Alicorns being so powerful, they could not sleep. Boy, would she miss sleeping!

"Sweetie?" Apple Bloom whispered, but Sweetie was sound asleep. "I'm having second thoughts of being an Alicorn. You can't even sleep!"

Sweetie did not listen, of course. How can you when you're fast asleep?

"Aww..."

Apple Bloom just stared at the window. Being an Alicorn was tough. Maybe she wasn't cut out to be an Alicorn, after all...

She stared at the big, round moon. She hoped that maybe she wasn't royalty after all, and that she could return to normal again! She really hated being an Alicorn, being treated different by everypony, some ponies would even see her as a being so powerful that she could burn them to a crisp if they ticked her off. And she couldn't rest or even sleep!!! And being an Alicorn means you are royalty, and being royalty means you are a king, queen, prince or a princess. Being one of those mean great responsibility.

Apple Bloom had to talk to Princess Celestia. Now.

Apple Bloom levitated an empty scroll, a quill, and a jar of ink from a table. Bloom managed to teach herself how to write with magic using the levitating spell, and wrote:

Dearest Princess Celestia,
It's me, Princess Apple Bloom. I have wrote you you to tell you I am going to visit you in Canterlot Castle. I need to talk to you about my whole "royalty" "alicorn" thing. Thank you for reading, and I will be on my way soon.

Sincerely, Princess Bloom

Apple Bloom looked up in one of Sweetie's magic books on how to send a letter. She cast the spell and the scroll turned into a cloud of red dust, and flew out her window to Canterlot Castle. She hoped the Princess had it...

Apple Bloom could see Canterlot Castle way far away in the horizon. By now it was already 1:00 AM, so Apple Bloom tried to remember the flying lessons Scootaloo tought her and Apple Bloom flew over to Canterlot Castle in less than half an hour.

Apple Bloom pushed open the doors and saw the royal guards guarding Princess Celestia's room. Apple Bloom trotted over to the doors. The guards bowed and levitated the doors open. Apple Bloom went through the doors while they closed behind her.

"Princess Celestia," Apple Bloom said. Princess Celestia turned around and looked at Apple Bloom with a smile.

"Hello, Princess Bloom," said Celestia. "How do you like your Alicorn life so far?"

"Well, that's kind of the reason I came here."

"Oh?"

"Yes." Apple Bloom breathed in and blurted out, "I know I'm a descendant of a Princess and all, and I really love the fact, and I know I am a Princess because she was, but I have a confession to make." Apple Bloom took a deep breath before saying, "I really don't like being an Alicorn."

Princess Celestia's smile faltered. "I see. So what you're saying is, you can't take it anymore being an Alicorn and you don't want to be one anymore?"

"Yes!! YES!!!"

"I see." Celestia's smile entered again. "With great power becomes great responsibility. Being royalty is a huge responsibility. Might I ask why YOU think so?"

"Well, some ponies are treating me really weird-- Okay, a lot of ponies are treating me weird lately. They must think that over a burnt piece of pie, I will burn them to a crisp or something. And Alicorns can't even rest either! And if this is my destiny..." Bloom stopped for a moment. "And if this is my destiny, I don't like myself! All my friends are treating me different. And I-- I just want to be my old self again! Plain old self!"

"I get it. Being a Princess has great power to it. I know you are very uncomfortable being an Alicorn now. And your destiny can change over time. If you feel this is not your destiny, then it must not be."

"Change me back! Change me back!"

"Are you sure? Are you sure you want to give up being royalty, having special powers most ponies don't, living for eternity. Are you absolutely positive?"

"I'm positive!"

"Absolutely sure?"

"Yes!"

"Then you have proven to me that you like YOU, and that is final. I will change you back."

"Oh, thank you thank you thank you!"

Apple Bloom's body was soon outlines with red light, growing brighter and brighter.

"But remember, you are still a princess, Alicorn or no Alicorn. Keep it quiet, okay?"

"I will!"

In a flash, Apple Bloom was back at her dorm. She felt her back to see if there was any wings. No. She felt her head to see if there was any horns. No. She checked her flank. She had a Cutie Mark, but a different one this time!

It was a picture of a green apple with the old Cutie Mark Crusaders patch on it. At least it wasn't a sign of her royalty! But... What was it? It was a symbol of realizing destinies or something, Bloom guessed. Apple Bloom checked the clock. 7:00 in the morning!

Sweetie's alarm clock rang. Sweetie woke up.

"Good morning Apple Bloom! How are-- OH MY GOSH!"

"What?"

"You're-- Your not an Alicorn anymore!"

"I know. I quit."

"QUIT?!"

"Being an Alicorn is waaaaaayy harder than you think it is. And it has-- Certain disadvantages. So I quit. Celestia says I am still royalty, but I just have to keep quiet about it."

"Wait, but why did you quit?? Didn't you like being an Alicorn??"

"Not really. I get treated differently by ponies, some ponies are afraid of my powers, I can't sleep... Or rest. I quit."

"Oh. I see."

"If you really want me to change back, I could ask Celestia to change me back."

"No no no. If this is your true destiny, it's totally fine with me."

"But... How do you feel now that I'm not a Princess anymore?"

"You are in my book, Bloom. You are in my book."

Comments ( 3 )

Well, guys, Apple Bloom's Weird New Life is now COMPLETE! :pinkiehappy:

This is a great story. I think the ending was perfect.:pinkiesmile:

3647064 Thanks. This story was published on the 16th of March, and I have no idea how people-- err, ponies-- still see it.

Login or register to comment