• Published 15th Mar 2013
  • 8,990 Views, 170 Comments

Scraps, Musings & Octavia Writes Fanfics - Wanderer D



Really short shorts that cross my mind and won't go anywhere.

  • ...
5
 170
 8,990

Switched

Doctors and nurses pushed him out of the room, shouting a plethora of medical nonsense and forcing him to stay out the room.

"Wait! I need to be inside! What's going on?" Filthy Rich had shouted, but a nurse had held him back.

"Please, let us do our job! Right now you would just get in the way!"

And so he had waited. There was a wail from a few rooms away, followed almost immediately by one inside the room where his wife, Cloud Comet was being treated.

"Mr. Rich!" the nurse called. "Your wife she..." she sighed and put a soft hoof on his chest before he barreled in and allowing another nurse to hurry out of the room with a small bundle.

"Is that—"

"Yes, but—"

"Where are they taking the foal?"

"They're cleaning her up... your wife already spent a few moments with her, they'll bring her right back, I promise, but please, listen to me, your wife..."

Filthy Rich's wide eyes centered on the nurse, already feeling that he would not like the news.

"She won't make it..." The nurse said. "I'm sorry. The baby had some issues when she came out, which is why while cleaning her they're going to do a quick check to make sure everything is fine."

Rich nodded numbly as the nurse stepped aside, letting him into the room, where his wife waited in bed. The nurses had already cleaned her up, and were in the process of removing stained cloths out of the way. When they noticed him, they hurried and left, allowing the pair some privacy.

"Rich," Cloud Comet gasped, her coppery coat and purple mane still wet from the water and sweat. "Rich, they took her... how..."

"It's okay, Comet," Rich whispered, sitting next to the bed and making sure her head was comfortable, and that the pillows were not pressing down her wings. "She's fine, they took her off to get cleaned and checked, but they're bringing her back in a moment... how are you feeling?"

Cloud Comet coughed when she tried to laugh. "You know how I'm feeling, Rich," she said softly, caressing the side of his face. "I brought life to this world... and although I won't be able to stay—"

"D-don't say that!" Filthy Rich cried, "Please! Please just... I'm sure if you rest—"

"Even if I won't be able to s-stay..." Cloud Comet coughed, spitting a little bit of blood, which Filthy Rich quickly scrambled to clean. She smiled, a tired, painful and yet triumphant smile. "Even though I'll be gone... she'll live, Rich! My little filly will live and thrive! Take care of her, Rich, please... make sure she goes to school... don't spoil her... make sure somepony teaches her to-to fl—"

"You know I will!" Filthy Rich cried, leaning down when she started coughing again. "I promise! She won't want for anything! I promise!"

Cloud Comet smiled and raised her hoof to brush a stray strand of hair from his face. "I-I l-love y..." her hoof fell, barely making a rustling sound and Filthy Rich leaned in, resting his forehead on her chest and sobbing.

He didn't stop even when the door opened and a nurse carefully gave him a small filly, wrapped up in blankets and staring in open wonder at him.

o.0.o

Filthy Rich gasped, opening his eyes and sitting up quickly in bed, breathing hard. He could still feel some wetness on his eyes.

"That dream again," he sighed, leaning down and rubbing his eyes before glancing at the clock. "Why am I dreaming about that again?" he wondered, trying to figure out when the dreams had started. He snorted. It was from the school visit, now he remembered. There was this filly, who was the splitting image of Cloud Comet.

He frowned. Glimpses of his dream were coming back to him. Specifically Comet's words.

Filthy Rich turned on the light and took a picture of his late wife in his hooves, gazing at it.

"Take care of her, Rich." He slowly traced her face on the picture. please... make sure she goes to school... don't spoil her... He chuckled, feeling a bit of a knot in his chest. "Oh, Cloud, I'm sorry, I couldn't help it..." ...make sure somepony teaches her to-to fl—"

"Fly?" Filthy Rich's eyes opened wide and he stared at the picture with his mouth hanging open. Diamond Tiara was an Earth Pony, she didn't need flying classes but... he started breathing faster, his mind going back to that filly. "It can't be possible," he whispered, horrified. "It just can't be!"

He jumped out of bed, looking for the number of the doctor that had helped them that night, so long ago, as well as Cheerilee's number. He had to know. He had to know!

o.0.o A Few Days Later o.0.o

"Wait... are you saying what I think you're saying?" Scootaloo asked, sitting in the manager's office of Ponyville's Orphanage and starting at both Filthy Rich and the manager, Wicker Basket, in complete bafflement. "You can't be serious!"

Filthy Rich nodded, passing Scootaloo a picture of Cloud Comet. "I don't know how it happened, but from what the hospital and I were able to figure out, when you were born and taken away to get cleaned, somepony accidentally switched you and Diamond Tiara. Diamond's mother... she left the next day, and nopony knows where she went. Because of the confusion, they assumed you were her daughter and you ended up here."

Scootaloo leaned back, stunned and trying to make sense of what she had heard. 'Filthy Rich is my dad? I got switched?' she looked at the picture of the smiling pegasus. Her eyes, her coat and mane so similar to hers. 'T-this is my mom. This is my mom... she's gone... but...' She gulped, eyes watering up. "This is my mom?"

Filthy Rich smiled softly. "Yes. Cloud Comet, the most beautiful, most caring pegasus I ever met. I've loved her since I first laid eyes on her."

Scootaloo looked down, not wanting them to notice her face. "Can I... can I keep the picture?"

Filthy Rich's eyes widened. "But of course! It's yours! You're my daughter, Scootaloo!" He placed a hoof on her shoulder, smiling encouragingly. "And I'm here to take you home."

The world seemed to stop for Scootaloo, and she slowly raised her eyes. "B-but what's going to happen to Diamond Tiara?"

Filthy blinked. "Nothing. I might not be her biological father, but I've raised that filly as my own. She's my daughter too."

For some reason, whatever reservations Scootaloo might had had about his parenting skills seemed to fade away with that comment, even if she would have to be Diamond Tiara's sister of all things.

Wicker Basket smiled at the little pegasus. "Are you ready to go, Scootaloo?"

Scootaloo gulped and nodded, watching as Filthy Rich signed and finalized the paperwork.

"Come on," Filthy Rich said, "Let's get your things and get you settled down in your new room."

Scootaloo nodded, guiding her father down towards her small room. Then a thought crossed her mind.

"Uh... does Diamond Tiara know about this?"

Filthy Rich blinked. "I..." he paled. "I forgot to tell her."

[つづ.く]

Author's Note:

So yeah, of course the つづ.く is a bit of a joke given where this story is posted. Honestly, I like the idea, but I don't know if I'll ever go along and write it to it's potential, after all, I already have a Scootaloo & Diamond Tiara are Sisters story out there, but, I needed to get this out of my head.

Again, I don't know if I'll ever come back and explore this idea, but it's adoptable if anyone's interested.