• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 527 Views, 6 Comments

Corruption of the Moon - FrostyDawn



Sometimes, old pony legends really are true. And dreams are even worse.

  • ...
1
 6
 527

Campfire

The orange glow of the sunset washed over the Everfree Forest, with the starry sky not too far away. A light trail of smoke snaked over the canopy, originating from the forest floor.

“Toss some more wood on the fire, Spike.” Twilight Sparkle said, nailing the last stake into the ground. She took a look around the campsite, that she and her friends had set up. Four tents, all circled around a fire. One was smaller than the other three, hastily built by fillies.

The purple dragon dumped an armful of sticks onto the fire, watching it grow warmer and brighter.

“That should be good for a while.” Spike said, brushing the dust off his hands. “What’s left?” He asked Twilight.

The mare pulled out a checklist with her magic, scanning over the list. “Tents, check. Campfire, check. Fluttershy and Pinkie are fetching the water...”

The brief moment to organize was interrupted by the rustling in the bushes, only to be followed by three bouncing fillies.

“Can we stay up late, Applejack?”

“I’m hungry! Can we make some s’more’s?”

“S’more of what?”

The older mares that followed the small pack was Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash, the latter the only one enthusiastic of the fillies’ energy.

“Welcome back. Enjoy your walk?” Twilight asked.

“Don’t even start.” Applejack answered. “They’re too hyped up.”

“Lighten up, you two.” Rainbow chuckled. “They’re just lookin’ for a little fun. Hey, Twi, did you bring that book of ghost stories?”

“Yeah.” The unicorn responded. “I’ve got it right here.” She said, levitating a hefty tome from her bags. The book was bound with dark leather, while the pages were nearly bleach white, and written with fine ink.

“Sweet. How ‘bout we give this a whirl once it gets darker?” Rainbow said, holding the book in her hooves.

“Rainbow Dash, you’re not serious, are you?” Rarity interjected. “Telling a bunch of fillies scary stories right before their bedtime?”

“Whats the matter, Rares?” Dash teased. “Are you too scared yourself?”

Rarity’s brow furrowed. “I am not scared. I’m just thinking for my sister.”

“Prove it.” Rainbow challenged. “You read the first story.” She said, pushing the book into Rarity.

“Fine. I will.” Rarity answered sternly.

“Will what?” A soft voice replied from the bushes. Both Fluttershy and Pinkie emerged from the woods, both carrying canteens of water at their sides.

“Rarity’s gonna read some ghost stories!” Sweetie Belle chirped, bouncing excitedly in the air.

“Just one.” The fashionista replied.

“And then Rainbow can read some!” Scootaloo added.

While Fluttershy’s expression was bearing nervousness, Pinkie’s possessed excitement.

“Ooo! Ghostie-Whostie stories!” The pink pony cheered. “Who’s got the s’mores?”


<><><><><><><><><><><><>


The sunlight had faded quite early, and the flickering glow of the campfire kept the campsite lit up.

“Go on, Rares.” Rainbow urged. “Read us somethin’.”

Rarity hmmfed, and leafed through several pages. She stopped at a particular chapter, taking a deep breath.


“The Fear Of The Dark.” Rarity began.

“We all know the feeling. When the light fades and shadow envelops us, distorting what is real, and what is not. When nothing is in our sight, we feel something there. When we hear nothing, we know something is there. As we turn around, our imaginations poison us. We expect a ravenous, bloodthirsty beast to lunge out, or a ghastly, ghoulish pony covered in blood to just stand and smile...

Behind every shadow, a watching monster. Behind every screech, a plea for help. When you stare into the void... the void stares back.”

Rarity stopped reading as a lump formed in her throat, and looked up from the pages. Fluttershy was shaking, huddled behind the log she sat on, while the others simply stared and shifted uncomfortably.

“That was pathetic.” Rainbow chuckled nervously, breaking the silence. “That wasn’t even a real story.”

“You told me to read something, and I did.” Rarity said. “Now, it’s your turn.”

Rainbow took the book, and skimmed through a few chapters. “Lame. Lame. Lame. Ah, here we go.”

“The White Hoof...”

“Deep in the darkest, dankest forest of Equestria, lies a group of hungry, tired ponies. The ponies decided to set up camp, and spend the night in the woods. Under the light of the full moon, the-”

Rainbow paused, as a breeze ripped through the forest, howling against the branches. The forest filled with a white noise, silencing the ambience of the nightly birds and crickets. The fire flickered sharply in the wind, dulling its color for a brief moment. “Jeez, it got cold fast.” She muttered.

“I...I think I’m done...” Fluttershy whimpered, crawling back toward her tent.

“Yeah... I’m gonna wrap it up too...” Twilight added.

“Are you serious?” Applebloom whined. “She barley started!”

“It’s gettin’ late, sugarcube.” Applejack answered, looking down at her sister. “Let’s get you three inta’ yer tent.”

“Pfft. You guys are a bunch of pansies.” Rainbow frowned, watching her friends retreat to their tents. “At least you can take a story, right, Pinks?” She asked, turning to Pinkie.

But the pink mare didn’t answer. As Rainbow turned to face her, Pinkie was staring blankly into the woods.

“Pinks? You there?” Rainbow asked, waving her hoof in front of Pinkie’s face.

“Whuh?” Pinkie Pie stuttered. “Did you say something?”

“What’s with you? You’re kinda spacey.” Dash said, then rolled her eyes. “Well, you’re kinda spacey anyway...” she muttered.

“Sorry. I just thought I heard something.” Pinkie answered. She started trotting over to her tent, as if nothing had concerned her in the first place.

Rainbow’s brow furrowed, as she herself focused on the spot Pinkie was staring at. Before her own mind locked in place, she turned back to the camp.

<><><><><><><>

The camp was quiet, the only sound and light being the crackle and warmth of the campfire, where Twilight and Rarity would stay watch. They sat around the flame, making sure the fire wouldn’t burn itself out or lose control. In the perpetual silence falling over the camp, Twilight spoke first.

“It’s rather dark...” She said.

“Of course. It’s night.” Rarity answered.

“Well, yes, but it was supposed to be a full moon tonight.” Twilight stated. “But there isn’t any moonlight.”

Upon looking around, Rarity realized Twilight was right. The forest floor was clear of any natural light, and looking up in the sky, where the moon was should have been, was a black circle. It was a tad unnerving, seeing as how the surrounding sky was only a dark shade of blue, only lit by the stars.

“It’s so strange. Why would the moon... stop shining?” Rarity asked softly..

“Actually, the moon doesn’t produce light.” Twilight began. “It simply absorbs a fraction of sunlight on its surface, and the light that reflects, known as an albedo, hits earth as what we call moonlight.”

Rarity sighed. “Twilight, you know what I mean. What if something’s wrong?”

“If something’s wrong with the moon, I’m sure Princess Luna’s taken notice.” Twilight said.

The sound of a branch snapping made the two unicorns jump. Rarity quickly looked behind her to find the source, but there was nothing.

“Must have been a squirrel...” Twilight muttered.

Rarity turned back toward her friend, and froze. Her pupils contracted, and her mouth slightly hung open.

“Rarity? What’s wrong?” Twilight asked. Rarity didn’t respond. Twilight looked over her shoulder, to where Rarity’s eyes were fixed.

Eyes. A set of two white, blank, streamlined eyes staring back at the mares from the depths of the woods. The dim light of the campfire reached out far enough to contrast the outline of the owner. A tall pony, with a long horn. The pony’s mane seemed to writhe behind it, and almost glittered. Its lips bent into a wicked smile, its grin shining as bright as the eyes. Everything went silent. Twilight felt her lungs sting. She felt like she hadn’t breathed in centuries, and her face and forehead burned with a headache. Her stomach did somersaults inside herself, and her knees shook. Her vision momentarily blurred and a putrid taste backed onto her tongue. She couldn’t distinguish a single conscious thought from an urge to buckle over and vomit. After what seemed like an eternity, the white eyes and smiled faded, turning back into the inky shadows.

Once Twilight felt her sickness fade, she clenched her forehead. Looking over, she could see Rarity paralyzed, and eyes wide open.

“We have to get out of here.” Twilight said, with the most urgency she ever spoke with. “Now.”

Author's Note:

Happy Totally-not-a-day-late Halloween!

Comments ( 1 )

Idkwtfjhbiwtfo
Is a made up abbreviation for:
I don't know that the f just happened but I want to find out.

Login or register to comment