• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 526 Views, 6 Comments

Corruption of the Moon - FrostyDawn



Sometimes, old pony legends really are true. And dreams are even worse.

  • ...
1
 6
 526

Prologue

"NO! Stay away!" Princess Luna shrieked as she sat up quickly in her bed. Her ears were ringing, and her vision got fuzzy.

Luna was actually in her bedroom, as the sun was setting. Luna ruled the night, so in order to stay active, she slept through the day. It was at the dusk and dawn of each day when she could meet with her sister Celestia. There would be certain parts of the day important enough for Luna to stay awake to attend.

"Why was I screaming? What happened?" Luna asked herself. Her hooves were shaking, and her heart pounding fiercely.

"The lat thing I remember was-" Luna thought, followed by a short blurb of static as the princess tried to remember. Nothing. Just fear.

Luna got out of her bed, and out onto the balcony of her room. The sun was now a small sliver of orange sky on the horizon, and the stars began to glimmer overhead. Luna spread her dark blue wings, and took off into the night sky.

Luna began to silently glide in the clouds, where the moonlight beamed down onto the village known as Ponyville below. It was quiet. This silence once drove Luna into a state of pure envy and rage, turning her into the monster she once was: Nightmare Moon. The thought of her horrible past made Luna cringe.

"Take it. Take it. Take it all..."

Luna gasped. A dark, malicious voice resonated through her mind. She landed on the outskirts of Ponyville, trying to compose herself. "What was that? That wasn't me, was it?" She wondered.

"Devour. Devour." The voice rang again, almost in a taunting song.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" She cried out, looking around her. Were these just nightmares? "No. It couldn't be. I'm the princess of dreams. The only time anypony had a nightmare was when- ...Oh no." The alicorn shuddered, as the voice grew louder. This time, it seemed to have a physical location. The Everfree Forest.

"Suffocate." The voice hissed.

Luna turned to the trees of the forest, watching the dark shapes and shadows warp around like living beings.

"Come, Luna. Forget your troubles. I will feed your lust for power."

Luna simply stared into the darkness. She felt fear for the first time in hundreds of years. The shadows began to unfurl from their cover, forming dark tendrils of shadow. The princess simply stared into a gap in the tree line, where a single, thin shape stood. The form had a white, featureless head, and other than that, the creature had a black body, as if merging with the shadows themselves.

Luna wanted to run away, alert Celestia, and never worry about it again, but she couldn't. The way the creature spoke of giving her power sparked a small piece of intrigue in her mind. A part of Luna spoke to her, one that she wanted to seal away forever. It was Nightmare Moon speaking to her.

"Why pass up a chance to be the most powerful pony in Equestria once more? No, in all the world! Everything shall be mine!" her dark side mused. The inky black shadows stretched around Luna as she stared blankly into the familiar darkness...

"Consume."

"Absorb."

"DEVOUR."