• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 1,633 Views, 34 Comments

Storming Equestria - RodBottom



A young man named Zach is a U.S. paratrooper during WWII. He soon finds himself in a strange land.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,633

Chapter 1: Contact

Authors note: Hey guys and gals! Chapter 1 is finally here. I am so sorry for the delay. I wrote chapter 1 about 2 weeks ago. Then I changed my WHOLE plot line so the original chapter 1 had to go. Thanks go out to all of my reviewers. I could not have gone far without your advice!

I want to thank my proof reader and good friend EarthTrack. Check out his fan-tastic (lol so punny!) story called “A night in Equestria to remember”

Pain, throughout his entire body was pain. Zach tried to stand up but only to feel burning needles in his leg. He collapsed back onto the cold damp earth. He knew that something was wrong. After a few minutes of checking, he came to the miraculous discovery that none of his bones were broken. “Those tall evergreens must have broken my fall” he thought.
Seeing nothing was wrong he tried to stand up again, to only come crashing back down. This time he pulled back his pant legs. He was surprised that he had not noticed this earlier. What was found was a deep, bleeding entry wound on his right calf but no exit wound. He thought that he most likely got it on his way out of the plane and did not feel it due to the amounts of adrenalin he had.

Twisting his leg to get a better look, he noticed a piece of metal sticking out. After examining the shard better, he determined that he should get it out. He could see his duffel bag a few feet in front of him. He stretched his hand as far as he could towards the olive green bag, but to no avail. He sighed in defeat and crawled the extra foot to the bag. He dug through the canvas bag till he found his single person first aid kit. He opened it and got out the alcohol wipes, a roll of gauze, and some medical tape.

Zach looked around on the ground and found what he wanted, a stick. He wrapped a bit of gauze around the stick and bit down. If he did not brace his teeth for the pain, they would surely break. He pulled out his boot knife and wiped it with his shirt. He then proceeded to put it on his bag, in case he needed it for his small operation. He put his fingers on the exposed piece of metal.

Though his screams of pain were muffled buy the stick, they still resonated in the woods. He slowly drugs the sharp piece of metal out of his leg. Warm blood oozed from the wound. He moved it with the utmost care, though it felt as if he was using a bone saw. Zach dared not stop, for he wanted the pain to be over with. There was less than a quarter inch left when it popped out from the wound. After what seemed like hours, it was over.

Still in agony, he wiped his blood soaked leg with a spare rag. He felt released that the shard was out. He then went to wipe the wound with the alcohol wipes to clean it. It stung a little but compared to the pain he felt earlier, it was nothing. He wrapped is leg with gauze and taped it shut. Zach spit out the stick he was using as a brace, his teeth marks left in it. Zach took his knife and put it in his boot. He repacked his bag and laid it by his side. He laid his head down on the earth and gave himself a well deserved break.

A few minutes into his break, Zach sprung up on full alert. He remembered he had a mission to do and that the enemy could be lurking around any corner. Knowing that since it was day time, he had missed his objective but at least he could find his allies somewhere. He gradually got to his knees. His leg felt as if a knife was stuck in it, but he could stand. He grabbed his bag and put it on his back. Nearby he spotted his gun and helmet and went to collect them as well. His sweaty and still somewhat bloody hands felt nice on the cool wood that was his Thompsons grip. Into the woods he limped, trying to find a way back to his comrades.

From what he could tell, it was approaching dusk and he had made little progress through the woods. After walking for less than a quarter mile, his leg started bleeding again. Not wanting to lose any more blood, Zach found a good spot and set up a small camp. After an hour or so had passed, the camp was fully set up. The area was clear of debris, a fire was started, and there even was a cot made from sticks and his sleeping bag. Though making a fire was not the safest choice, he felt confident that Operation Overlord had worked. Though this did not take down his alertness in any way.

“Yea, k rations…” Zach said aloud in a sarcastic tone. K rations were a thick, bitter chocolate bar that the military issued. They tasted horrible to stop any temptation from eating them when it was not needed. He unwrapped the k ration's package and bit down. It may have tasted bad, but it was better than starving.

After his dinner he took a swig from his canteen, put out the fire, and went to bed on his makeshift cot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Are you sure this is a good idea girls? We did get attacked by that cockatrice last time.” Stated Sweetie Bell with a hint of nervousness.

“Oh don’t be such a baby Sweetie Bell, besides we’ve been in the Ever Free forest many times before,” Said Scootaloo in a cocky voice.

“Says you Scoots, you big chicken,” Retorted Apple Bloom with a southern accent.

“Well you’re just jealous that I’m going to get my exploration cutie mark and you won’t,” Scootaloo said as prideful as ever.

“Yea yea, come on, crusaders stop arguing and more exploring,” Said Sweetie Bell trying to be the voice of reason.

“Ok Sweetie, but ah’ll get my exploring mark first!” shouted Apple Bloom as she ran through the dense brush.

“Hey no fair Apple Bloom!” said Scootaloo as she ran to pursue her friend.

“Girls! Wait for me!” said Sweetie Bell.

They ran through the woods playfully chasing after each other, until they heard a low rumble. All three of the young fillies became quiet and still.

“Did j’uh hear that?” whispered Apple Bloom.

“Well duh, I wonder where it came from?” said Scootaloo.

“Hush, Scoots, I think we need to get out of here.” Whispered Sweetie Bell.

“Don’t be such a baby Swee-“

“It’s coming from over here” said Apple Bloom, cutting off Scootaloo in the process.

Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo stopped arguing and snuck over to where Apple Bloom was. What they saw was nothing that they had seen or heard of before. It was a long creature enveloped in what appeared to be a canvas bag. The body of it would slowly rise and fall to the rhythm of the breathing. It had a patch of brown hair on its head. It looked like a hairless diamond dog or ape. It let out another low rumble making the three fillies back up slightly. When they realized it was a snore coming from the creature the giggled slightly.

“You should go touch it.” Said Apple Bloom mischievously.

“No way! Do you see the size of it?” said Scootaloo nervously.

“Be more quiet, Scoots. besides we wouldn’t expect a chicken to do that anyway.” Said Sweetie Bell, egging her on.

“I am NOT a chicken.”

“Bawk bawk, you’re a chicken, bawk bawk.” Chimed Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell.

“Fine, I’ll do it. I’ll prove that I’m not a chicken.” Scootaloo mumbled quietly as she slowly crept towards the unknown creature.

Scootaloo slowly crept towards the creature as quietly as possible. The creatures breathing rate increased, though this was not noticed by Scootaloo at the time. As she got within one foot of the mysterious creature, she looked back towards her friends nervously. They motioned for her to touch it. Gingerly, Scootaloo turned around to face the creature's back. She slowly reached out with her hoof. Little did she know that the creature was already awake and ready to take action if threatened.

Crack! All Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell could do was watch in horror. Their best friend’s skull was smashed with a small L shaped object. The creature moved so fast that there was no chance of her reacting. Scootaloo’s body fell unconscious to the cold earth. The two fillies flight or fight instincts kicked in. Knowing they could not take the large creature on, they ran for Ponyville with guilty consciences.

Please review and rate. It is GREATLY appreciated.