• Published 14th Mar 2013
  • 26,296 Views, 1,038 Comments

The Princess and the Human - Ausbrony



When an Alicorn Princess suddenly appears out of thin air, Will one lone human be able to deal with such an event? Well, he has nothing better do do.

  • ...
79
 1,038
 26,296

New Town, New Friends, New Problems.

The train gave a shrill whistle as it pulled in to Ponyville station. Several ponies on board wasted no time in disembarking, eager to get away from the strange creature that accompanied Twilight and her friends.

When somepony had asked about him, Twilight had claimed he was something called a ‘Diamond Dog’ and the pony had seemed satisfied enough with the response.

Several ponies were waiting for them when they returned, in particular, three fillies that quickly ran over to Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

“You’re finally back!” the white Unicorn said excitedly, her horn showering emerald-green sparks. “I thought you’d still be a few days though?”

“Well,” Rarity coughed lightly as the orange Pegasus noticed Kai and tilted her head.

“Uh, what the heck is that?”

“A friend of Twilight’s,” Rainbow replied quickly, before snickering. The mare wasn’t buying it however, as she walked closer to inspect the costumed human.

“Yeah… something smells fishy,” she replied, as Kai looked down at her.

“Hey, I shower everyday actually!” the sudden speech caused Scootaloo to let out a surprised yelp and duck behind RD, pointing a shaking hoof at it.

“Sweet Celestia! It talks!?”

“It’s clearly a costume,” Sweetie Belle sighed. “I can see the poor stitching from here…”

“Aw, and I worked hard on this one,” Pinkie sighed, as Applebloom patted her on the back with a sympathetic hoof.

“Well, it a very… er, nice costume?” she said hesitantly. “But uh, who’s inside it?”

“Well, it’s Twilight’s very spec-“ Pinkie’s explanation was cut off by Rarity’s hoof, as the elegant mare gave a nervous chuckle.

“A very special friend, whose identity must remain secret for now,” she said, before giving the mare’s a threatening glare. “And you girls won’t be telling anypony, yes?”

The three in question stood side-by-side and stared up at Kai. Their scrutinizing gaze was equal parts terrifying and cute, and Kai just tilted his head.

“Woof?”

“Y’all got a lot of explainin’ t’do,” Applebloom said slowly. Kai wondered how old they were, given that they were much smaller than the rest of the mares present. They still bore Cutie Marks though, and Kai wondered what special talents they had.

“I promise girls,” Twilight finally spoke up as she stepped forward. “Just me give me a few days to re-adjust-EEP!?” The Alicorn was suddenly assaulted in a three-way hug, the giggling mares piling atop of her.

“I can’t believe you’re back!” Sweetie giggled. We missed you!”

“Yeah, but in like, a totally cool way,” Scootaloo added, but leaned into the hug regardless.

“Ah know Spike said that y’all might be comin’ back with Sis and the others, but it’s still really good to see ya!” Applebloom finished, and Twilight just smiled and hugged them back.

“I know I have a lot to apologise for,” Twilight replied. Her eyes widened a little when she looked at them and their flanks in particular. “And all three of you have your Cutie Marks… I can’t believe I missed that.”

“It’s alright,” Sweetie replied. That had been the most amazing day, when all three fillies had finally gotten their Marks. “We’ll tell you all about it sometime.”

“And they will,” Rarity sighed. “Over, and over, and over…”

“Woof?” Kai replied, causing Twilight to facehoof. That was all he had said since he got on the train, using various tones and pitches in his voice. He sounded like one of those Pokémon he liked.

“This is Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.” Twilight introduced the three mares. “You’ll meet them later, once we’ve gotten you settled.”

After another round of curious and questioning stares, most of the ponies had gone their own ways, leaving just Twilight and Kai alone on the train station. Promises had been made to meet up tomorrow, with Pinkie saying something about a party.

The stares of random ponies continued to follow Kai and then human wondered of this suit really made him inconspicuous. And when Twilight stifled a small giggled when somepony screamed and slammed their door, he knew she was getting her revenge on him.

“Heh, this place hasn’t changed a bit,” she smiled. She turned back to the irate human and pointed to a large tree in the not-to-distant distance. “We’re almost home and you can take it off.”

Kai just scoffed as he followed her, wondering why they were heading for a tree of all places. At least until they reached the base of the tree and Kai realised why they were here. The thing had a front door, windows and a balcony or two.

“This… this is a house?” he asked, the little kid in him was getting a little excited, remembering his days building his own treehouse.

“It’s a library actually,” Twilight replied. “But it was also my home while I lived here in Ponyville." It was then that Kai recognised the place. He’d been here when he and Twilight shared their memories.

He also made a mental note to stay faaaar away from the basement…

When Twilight opened the door, Kai followed her inside, only to pause and take a good look around. He looked at the bookshelves that were carved into the very walls themselves, to the high ceilings and sparse furniture.

There was a tugging sensation around his head, as the dog costume was pulled free by Twilight’s magic. She giggled at the sight of his hair sticking out in every direction, as he returned a more deadpan expression.

“Had your fun now?” he asked dryly. “Because that was not fun. Not in the slightest.”

“Aw, it was pretty fun for me,” Twilight smiled as he helped him take the rest of the outfit off. While he was still wearing his normal clothes underneath, the Alicorn still had a slight blush as she undressed him.

As she tried to pull the bottom half off, she tugged a bit too hard with her magic, causing the human to stumble and topple over, landing on the pony princess with a hard thud.

“Owww…” Twilight groaned and tried rubbing her head, but the human leaning over her had her limbs pinned, his eyes only a few inches from her own. A blush adorned both of their faces as neither said anything, just staring at one another as their lips drew closer…

“Hey Twilight-WOAH?” The voice of a young male broke the silence between the two and Kai quickly picked himself up, looking anywhere except at the other two individuals. Twilight was beet red and her mouth opened and closed a few times, no sound coming out.

Spike on the other hand, just stared at Kai with wide eyes. He’d been told everything through written correspondence from Princess Celestia, but to actually see the human with his own eyes? He almost couldn’t believe it.

“So… you’re the human huh?” he said, getting Kai’s attention. When the human saw the dragon standing there, his first thought consisted of a spherical red and white object, but…

“A dragon?” was all he said. Yeah, not exactly Shakespeare, but seriously? A dragon!?

“Last time I checked I was,” Spike laughed. “And you’re a human. So…” He looked at Kai, then at Twilight. “Uh, she did tell you about me didn’t she?” A moment of silence told the dragon everything he needed to hear. “Well, that’s just great…”

“It has been a hectic couple of days,’ Kai replied. He brushed some dust from his hands and walked over to the dragon. “My name is Kai. It’s nice to meet you…?”

“Spike,” he replied with a toothy grin. He extended a scaled claw and Kai took it, shaking it firmly. “So, awkward first impressions aside…” His smiled widened and his eyes sparkled. “What was that all about? You two looked pretty cozy.”

Twilight just blushed again and hid her head in her wings. Kai chuckled and decided it was his turn to explain.

“Well, Twilight and I…” Kai cleared his throat and continued. “We became friends back on Earth, and since arriving in Equestria, we’ve decided to see about taking that friendship a little further, so to speak.”

Spike stood there silently, as he processed what Kai meant by that. He pointed to Twilight, “So you-“ and then his claw motioned towards Kai “-And you… are, a thing. Like, a romantic thing?”

“You, might say that,” Twilight blushed, her voice was doing an admirable impression of Fluttershy.

Spike’s eyes softened and his smile widened. “Well it’s about time you found somepony-some…whatever it is you call your special someponies.” He folded his arms and nodded his head proudly. “Princess Sparkle’s finally gettin’ some!”

“SPIKE!?” Twilight yelled, her face was an endless field of crimson. “I-I can’t believe…” she sighed and fell to the floor, the amount of embarrassment she could take was past its limit.

“And now my revenge for you making me worry is complete,” Spike nodded once more. “And with that, I’ll get dinner started before she comes around and tries to vaporise me.” He chuckled lightly as he headed for what Kai assumed was the kitchen. It was all so surreal, a land filled with talking ponies, dragons, magic?

He wondered if he was going to wake up from the dream at some point, or at least suffer from some sort of horrific mental breakdown.

Yeah, not a chance. This place was too damned cute for something like that. The worst he could see happening was a horrible cavity or incurable diabetes.

Well, there are worse ways to go.


Dinner had been a simple affair. The tomato soup that Spike had made was amazing! Seriously, he could rule the world with cooking skills like that…

Or at least have his own reality TV show.

Tomorrow was going to be a little crazy. There were preparations for a formal announcement about Kai, so that he might actually be able to go outside as himself. Twilight was busy writing a speech and Kai had been introduced to an older mare named Mayor Mare.

No prizes for guessing what her profession was.

As Kai was on the couch, wondering if mothers in this rainbow-fueled world had prophetic visions about their children’s futures, or if they simply changed their names once they got a profession, Spike was preparing a place for him to sleep. He’d long since outgrown his basket, but as a small joke, Twilight had bought him a proper bed… that looked like a giant basket.

Spike would never admit how okay with that he truly was.

“So would the couch be alright?” he asked the human. “The library really only has one room. The storage room was cleared out to make room for me, and the only other place is the basement…”

Kai froze up at the mention of that place. “Yeah… let’s go with no on the basement. The couch will be fine Spike.”

“Cool…” The dragon twiddled his fingers before looking at the human again. Kai read the atmosphere and sat up straight, groaning slightly.

“Okay, what do you wanna know?” he asked. “I imagine you have a million questions.”

“I guess I have a few,” Spike said as he took a seat. “Like, how did you and Twilight meet?”

The human nodded and decided the beginning was the best place to start. For the next hour or so, he told Spike everything that had happened up until today. From Twilight’s sudden arrival, her impressions of the human world and her role she played in Kai opening up and learning to make friends.

“She has that effect on ponies, er, I guess humans as well huh?” Spike chuckled lightly. In return, the drake had told Kai a lot of his own stories, from the time he and Twilight had first come to Ponyville, to the bookish Unicorn’s ascension to an Alicorn. He spoke of time he had saved an entire empire, and the crush he had on Rarity. He told of the time he finally confessed… and she had confessed that she loved Pinkie. It was Spike who played a role in getting the two together.

“Sounds like you’ve had a pretty interesting life,” Kai said as they sipped on some drinks that the dragon had gotten for them. Twilight was still bust working on tomorrow’s preparations, checking her checklists and filing her flashcards.

“So what do you see in her?” Spike asked as they watched her pace about, muttering something about contingencies and damage control. “I don’t mean any offense, but you aren’t… well…”

“A pony,” Kai finished. “Yeah, I know, it’s a little weird for me as well.” He had mentioned how Earth had its own equivalent of ponies and horses. The dragon had offered a small shudder at the stark differences.

“But, I already know she isn’t anything like the ones on Earth, and well…” Kai paused to find the right words. “She didn’t give up on me I suppose. I tried dating a couple of times back home. But I found them too… what’s the word?” He tapped his chin as he thought. “Well, none of them sat right with me you know. Once they found out what I was worth financially, or that my hobbies were considered childish… But Twilight?” He looked at the pacing mare, even as she wore a track into the floor. “She is who she is. She makes no effort to hide herself and she tries so hard to help anyone who needs it. She’s no mere animal to me, and she’s so much more than a person. She’s beautiful, inside and out.”

Spike just sat there and Twilight’s ear gave a small flick as she stopped pacing, that last part was heard over her muttered dialogue and her face flushed a deep crimson.

“…Dude, that’s just…” Spike finally spoke. “Wow, that was so sappy~”

“Oh shut up!” Kai blushed, realising what he’d just said.

“Nope, I’m pretty sure the Cutie Mark Crusaders have seen less sap than that,” Spike laughed. Twilight had buried her face in a book, as to hide the fierce blush that refused to leave her muzzle.

Spike gave another laugh as he headed towards his bedroom. “Well, I’ll leave you two lovebirds alone. We have a lot to do tomorrow, right Twi?”

The Alicorn just squeaked and nodded, before teleporting to her room.

“Heh,” Spike chuckled again and disappeared into his own room. He thought about sending his own marefriend a letter, wondering if was too late.

Ah well, she liked it when he wrote to her~

Once the two Equestrians had retired to bed, Kai just lay on the couch and stared at the ceiling. It was weird, shouldn’t he be more freaked out about this? Another world, dragons and ponies, ones that moved the very stars themselves.

“Either the internet had jaded me more than I thought, or my freakout will come later and will be beyond epic,” he laughed dryly. He honestly had no idea where he should go from here. Did he even want to go home? Sure, all his stuff was there, but in the end, it was just stuff. He had some friends here, perhaps he could get a job, did they have video games in Equestria?

Okay, a world without video games was a terrifying thought. But Twilight said she’d be able to get him back home. But, would he be able to come back to Equestria again? Was this going to be one of those cliche stories where he’d have a whirlwind adventure here, then just wind up returning to his regular life back on Earth. Honestly? He’d gotten used to the brand of crazy that Twilight had brought into his life.

Speaking of Twilight... Kai looked upstairs and smiled mischievously. Time for surprise hugs!


It was another perfect morning in Equestria, but when you could control the weather, did anything else even exist?

Despite the clear, blue skies, the radiant sun and the smiling faces of the happy ponies around town, Kai was perfectly content to lie in this perfectly fluffy bed and hug his perfect little pony.

And she was content to receive those hugs. She’d been a little surprised at the sneak attack last night, but she wasn’t complaining~

At least until somepony knocked loudly on the library's front door. Kai growled as he slowly rose, swearing righteous vengeance on all doors. He gave Twilight one last hug and a kiss on the tip of her horn before heading out of the room and downstairs.

The town had better be on fire or an ancient evil was stealing the souls of foals. The human paused and blinked. Wow, he was morbid in the morning.

He opened the front door by a slight margin, if only to peek at who was there. A large pair of magenta eyes stared back, one partially hidden by a prismatic hued mane.

“Are you guys still asleep?” Rainbow Dash huffed as she leaned on the door, pushing her way inside.

“Please, do come in,” Kai replied dryly as the Pegasus snorted and shrugged her shoulders.

“Don’t worry,” Twilight called out as she appeared at the top of the staircase. “That was probably her most civil entrance to any sort of building I have ever witnessed.” Rainbow snorted as Twilight descended the stairs. “Have you mellowed out in your old age Dashie?”

“You’re older than me, Twilight Snarkle,” Rainbow retorted. “And I was sent to fetch you guys. You’re running late for that party of Pinkie’s.”

“Late?” Twilight blinked. How early was this party? As much fun as they were, she wasn’t really up for one first thing in the morning.

“Yeah, it’s unusual for you of all ponies to sleep past noon,” Rainbow nodded. That was her thing. “Lemme guess, you lovebirds were up late~”

The joke flew over Twilight’s head as her eyes widened. “Noon? It’s already noon!?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow nodded. “Pretty much everypony is already there. Do you have any idea how hard it was to convince Pinkie to keep the guest list small? Even though she’s with Rarity now, it hasn’t done much to rein her in.”

“It’s Pinkie Pie,” Twilight said as she headed back upstairs for a quick shower. “I don’t think anypony could do that.”

“I dunno,” Kai shrugged. “She seems normal enough for me. No more weirder than the rest of you anyway.”

Rainbow chuckled as she raided Twilight’s fridge, pulling out a soda. “Oh, you have no idea...I guess ignorance is bliss.”

“Rule one of Ponyville!” Twilight called out from upstairs. “Never, EVER question Pinkie Pie!”

“You actually remember that?” Rainbow called out. “And here I figured that Princess Sparkle forgot all about us plebs.”

There was no response as Kai groaned and flicked Rainbow’s ear as he walked past her. The Pegasus frowned as she rubbed the appendage. “What was that for?”

“She feels bad enough,” Kai said as he poked around in the fridge until he found what he hoped was orange juice. “So please don’t go rubbing salt in the wound, okay?”

Rainbow flinched when she realised what she’d said. She was still sore that Twilight had all but abandoned them to resume her magical studies. Her friends had missed her at first, but they were to blame for drifting apart just as much.

“Yeah, sorry Twi,” she called out, and may have shrieked like a little filly when Twilight teleported right in front of her.

“You’re forgiven,” Twilight grinned at the amusing reaction, before grabbing a washcloth and giving Kai a kiss on the cheek before teleporting back upstairs again.

“Y-Yeah, okay, I’ll pay that one,” Rainbow chuckled nervously. Kai then also realised something. His clothes, they needed a wash, but he had failed to pack another set.

“All whole dimension away and I forget to pack an overnight bag,” he said as he took a drink, happy that it at least tasted like orange juice. Who knows what was what here in Ponyland.

Another flash and a yelp from rainbow saw a dripping wet Twilight in front of Kai.

“Stop doing that!” Rainbow groaned, but her plea fell on deaf ears.

“Oh yes, forgot to mention,” she said to the human. “Spike went out yesterday and bought you a toothbrush and some things like that. If you’re worried about your clothes, just wash them in the shower. I know a quick dry spell for after.”

“Ah, cool,” Kai nodded. Truth was that he was only half-listening as he discovered something new about ponies.

They totally rocked the ‘wet hair’ look.

“Well, come upstairs when you're ready, I’ll keep the shower running for you,” she gave him another quick peck and vanished again.

“Dude...” Rainbow said as Twilight disappeared. “You are one lucky stallion you know that?”

“Yup,” Kai nodded as he stared at the spot where Twilight had been.


“So, what should I expect for a...’Pinkie Party’ was it?” Kai asked the two ponies as they walked towards Sugarcube Corner.

“Sudden surprises, loud noises, lots of cake and punch...and Pinkie Pie herself,” Rainbow said. "Aside from that, her parties are a blast. Just enjoy yourself big guy.”

“I suppose I can do that,” he nodded. He wasn’t going to admit that this was his first ever party. While he had had birthday parties, or the occasional Christmas one, this would be his first real ‘party’.

And the fact that so many kinds that could all just be classified with the same name made him snort in amusement.

“Something funny?” Twilight asked, looking up at him.

“Nah, just thinking that the English language is weird...” he replied. “Well, English/Equestrian in this case.”

“What’s so weird about it?” she replied, with Rainbow sighing in response. Even after all this time, she just knew that an egghead lecture was right around the corner.

“Well it’s just-” Kai turned a corner and bumped into someone, well, somepony in this case. “Oh? Sorry...” then he realised. This was out in the open. Where any pony could see him. The one he had bumped into was a fuchsia-coloured mare with a strawberry pink mane that reminded Kai of ice-cream.

“Cheerilee?” Twilight said, then gasped as the mare laid eyes on Kai. She had been so focused on conversation and the like, she had forgotten all about hiding Kai from general view.

“Ah...what...are you?” the mare said slowly as she got to her hooves and stepped back a bit. Princess Twilight and Rainbow Dash were here, so was it something friendly? She suddenly flinched as the creature seemed to fold its legs underneath it as Kai knelt down to look her in the eyes. How did it do that without a tail to balance itself?

“My name is Kai,’ he said in a friendly tone. The last thing he needed was to terrify the populace, and this mare seemed alright for now. “It’s nice to meet you Miss...?”

“C-Cheerilee,” she stammered. Well, she wasn’t running away. So...progress?

“Well then Miss Cheerilee. I’m a friend of the Princess there, so I’ll be around for a while.”

“I-I see...” she said with wide eyes. She shot a glance at Dash and Twilight, who smiled and nodded. So...this was the Zecora thing all over again? But...what was this thing?

“We’ll explain later Cheers,” Rainbow said with a smile. “Unless you aren’t busy, cause you could always swing by Pinkie’s place.”

“Um...that’s okay, I have...things, at the place,” she mumbled as she ran off. Though, she did pause for a moment to look back at them.

“Progress?” Kai asked.

“Progress,” Twilight smiled.


Kai’s eye gave a twitch as he saw the building that he’d been taken to. It looked like something out of a storybook, though, that seemed to be par for the course in Equestria.

“I swear, if I walk in there and I see a witch, I am setting her ass on fire,” Kai muttered as they got closer to the gingerbread house.

Twilight just looked at him and shook her head. “You won’t find any ‘witches’ here Kai. So don’t worry.”

“Yup, just Pinkie Pie...which is sooo much worse,” Rainbow chuckled as she placed her hooves on his back and pushed him towards the door. “I hope you're prepared for this big guy.”

“Do I have a choice?” he asked and both mares grinned at one another as Twilight’s hooves joined Rainbow’s.

“Nope!’ they smiled and pushed him inside.