• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 21,254 Views, 1,041 Comments

The Code's Apprentice - Lapis-Lazuli and Stitch



For a thousand years, the Code of Harmony has ruled Equestria, and the Code of Dissonance has sabotaged its works at every turn. Now the war for control over the land will come to a head, and one unicorn's decision may decide the fate of all.

  • ...
46
 1,041
 21,254

Chapter 31 - The Beginning

"Life is but a thousand beginnings, all leading towards the same end." - The Book of Harmony, Chapter VI, Verse 12.

~~~~~~Aboard the H.M.S Commander Hurricane, The Next Day.~~~~~~

Rainbow dash punched the too-fluffy pillow down to a reasonable size, and tossed it onto the bed. A few moments later, her sack of belongings hit the same bed with an audible thump. There. She nodded in satisfaction and grinned to herself. Just like home. Well, minus the Wonderbolt posters and her rainbow waterfall, but she fully intended to get the crown to pay to move those things for her.

It'd been a while since she'd made the trip to Cloudsdale. She'd have to stop in and see her pops, and maybe go lord it over the bullies from her old flight school. She smirked a little at the thought of them, doing a sexy little strut across the room. Uh huh. Who's the boss now, crash brothers? Dash did a little dance in the middle of the guest room, giggling enthusiastically. Sure, she was gonna miss Ponyville but... Well there were other benefits. Soon as we get settled in, I get first crack at Twi! That had been the agreement with the other girls, and Dash was so looking forward to it.

A moment after that blush inducing thought, her door got a heavy double knock on it. Dash blinked. "Yeah? Who is it?" She yelled out, plopping her sexy flank on the bed and rooting out some of her favorite things from the bag. Where's my brushie. There's my brushie!

The door swung open a moment later, and Dash stared in surprise at the sight of Spitfire leaning in the doorframe. She was wearing her First Air Wing uniform jacket and flight glasses, just as she had at Wonderbolts Academy. "Hey kid." Spitfire said, a little softly. "Got a minute?"

Dash bit her lip, reminding herself that this was still a military vessel. She's in charge, Dash - She can go pretty much wherever the heck she wants. Fighting down her anger and disappointment, she shrugged in her best careless manner. "Whatever. What do you want, Spitfire?"

Spitfire frowned and sighed, pulling off her flight glasses. "I owe you an apology kid. Actually, I owe you a lot more than that." The flame haired pegasus pushed off the doorframe and slowly walked in, carrying a thick package of some kind under her wing.

Rainbow Dash blinked at that, completely not expecting that response. Spitfire sat down unceremoniously next to the bed. Dash was not an expert on feelings, not by a long shot - but even she could tell Spitfire was pretty bucking down on herself right now. Her voice supported that evidence too, as Spitfire kept speaking. "You were right, Kid. I shouldn'ta pulled that card on you the other night. It was wrong. More'n that, it was conduct unbecoming an officer in the First Air Wing."

Dash's jaw dropped. She was also not an expert on military justice, but she knew damn well that 'Conduct Unbecoming' was basically a death sentence for an officer's career. Spitfire's gaze was firm, stern as she pulled a thick packet of paper, from under her wing. "So here's the paperwork." She tossed it onto Dash's lap. "All you gotta do is sign it. You got every right."

Dash stared down at it, the paper packet labeled 'AAR - Dissonance Incident'. Dash struggled to find her voice, and blinked away... tears? "Ma'am, I can’t sign this." She said softly. "Look..." She set the paper packet to one side and gave Spitfire a level look. "We both agree what you did was seriously lame. But it wasn't that lame." She shook her head, slightly. "All I want is you to apologize. That's it, Ma'am."

Spitfire tilted her head, and smiled a little. "I knew there was something special in you kid. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been, as you put it, seriously lame." She extended a hoof, and after a moment, Dash took it and shook firmly. "Oh by the way..." Spitfire said slyly. "This is for you." She tossed the other part of the package into Dash's lap.

Dash blinked down at the thick bundle of dark blue cloth, pinned together with a shining gold lightning bolt. Dash shook her head in confused. "What's this ma'am?"

Spitfire was already halfway out the door, then she turned back with a slight smile. "Consider it an open offer. If you ever want to take us up on it, we'll have a spot for you."

Spitfire ducked out of the room a moment later, closing the door behind her. Dash blinked and undid the nifty pin on the package, unfolding the thick blue cloth. Jeeze, is this velvet? She couldn't tell herself, but she bet Rarity would know. After a few moments of wrangling with the cloth, the whole thing kinda fell apart in her hooves. Dash's jaw slowly fell as the assortment of items inside spilled all over her bedspread.

A custom fitted blue flight suit, adorned with shining yellow lightning bolts. A pressed officers jacket, with a stitched nametag "Captain Rainbow Dash." A pair of yellow lensed flight goggles, also custom made specifically for her face. Finally, there was a single tightly rolled scroll, sealed with a lightning bolt.

Dash carefully broke the seal on the scroll, her shaking hooves unrolling the thing on her bed spread. Her eyes darted across the words bit by bit, her lips whispering out the words as she went.

"By Royal Order of Queen Mi Amore Cadenza, with recommendations by Admiral Fire Drake, Commander Spitfire, and Guard Commander Valiant Struggle.

Regarding: The actions of Recruit Rainbow Dash, during the changeling attack on Ponyville and during the Dissonance Incident.

Recruit Rainbow Dash, the Equestrian High Command wishes to inform you that it has received several reports of remarkable courage, heroism and valor during the incidents referred to as "Ponyville's Stand" and "The Dissonance Incident".

These reports detail your actions as is follows - The engagement of superior changeling forces at the risk of your own life in order to protect Equestrian civilians. The defense of a pegasus flight school with the assistance of only one other adult pegasi. The weaponization of a Sonic Rainboom, and the final defeat of Changeling forces over Ponyville alone and unaided. And perhaps most telling of your character, your steadfast resolve to do the right thing in the face of conflicting orders and extreme danger to your own life.

It is therefore the opinion of Equestrian Command that we can no longer ignore your exceptional bravery and remarkable skills in the air. It is further our opinion that your incredible skill can no longer go officially unrecognized, lest we squander away the abilities of the most talented flyer of this generation.

Therefore, by order of Queen Mi Amore Cadenza, and with the full approval of the Admiralty, we hereby offer you an immediate commission in the First Air Wing as a Captain. Furthermore, with the full recommendations of Commander Spitfire, we offer you a permanent posting within the Strategic Air Command's Special Operations Team, Also known as "The Wonderbolts."

Your actions have been in keeping with the highest traditions of the Equestrian Military, Captain Rainbow Dash. We look forward to your participation in what will undoubtedly be a long and storied career with First Air Wing.

~~~~~~~~

"Ah can't tellya how thankful I am, Miss Octavia." Applejack scratched the back of her neck in embarrassment. "Ya'll sure that ah can't offer ya anythin' more'n some of our produce?" Octavia was smiling at her, as was her sister - Vinyl Scratch. Applejack wasn't sure what it was about these two, but they had always seems awful close for sisters.

Octavia smiled softly. "Of course not, Applejack. You've done so much for this town." She gestured delicately with her hoof. "The least we can do is watch after your little sister while you tend to business in Canterlot." Vinyl was nodding enthusiastically, grinning. Octavia rolled her eyes a little and gently smacked Vinyl. "Not to mention young Sweetie Belle."

Applejack had to smile a little. "Well shucks. So long as you two don't mind." To be honest, Applejack was relieved they had accepted. The only other ponies they had been able to come up with had been the Cakes, and they had their hooves full with their own young ones.

Vinyl let out a 'pfft' sound and shrugged with a smile. "Dont'cha worry, AJ. We'll hold down the fort while you get things settled in the big city." She hooked a hoof over her shoulder. "Side's, it's not like they're gonna be over here all the time. We can handle some foalsittin, yanno."

Octavia nodded in agreement, and Applejack nodded. "Alright then. Thanks ya both again!" She waved as she headed down the street, getting a pair of waves from the sisters. Applejack trotted quickly down Mane street, exchanging waves and 'See you laters' with many members of the town.

It wasn't gonna be easy for her, she knew it. But Twilight needed her, and Twilight was already practically family. The fact that Granny Smith had told her off for even thinking of not going had helped too. Heh. Ah can still hear her yellin at me. Granny Smith had made it clear that she had a responsibility - not just as a friend, but as an Apple .

So Applejack shouldered her bags and turned towards the awaiting chariot. Fluttershy was already there, with Angel Bunny tucked into her saddle bags. This ain't goodbye, Ponyville. she thought quietly as she hopped up onto the platform, tucking her hat a little firmer onto her head. I'll be back. And if I got a single word to say about it, ah'll be bringing everypony back with me. She nodded firmly to herself, and wrapped a protective hoof around Fluttershy.

The chariot slowly lifted into the air, carried by Royal Guardsponies. Applejack watched as her beloved town slowly faded into the distance. On a whim she gently doffed her hat and waved to it, ignoring the wet feel of tears on her cheeks.

"Seeya round, everypony..." she whispered.

~~~~~~~~

The Mayor sat quietly in her office, trembling under the dark and firm gaze of the Nightmare Queen. Her hooves were carefully pressed into her desk as she listened to the soft, insistent commands of her Monarch. Twilight's voice quietly rang through her ears, laced with impossible power. "Let me make myself perfectly clear, Mayor. She is not to be exposed. You are to ensure that personally."

The mayor licked her lips, tasting the sweat from her brow. She nodded jerkily, and could feel the incredible Dissonance even from halfway across the room. She knew that with but a thought, her Queen could turn her into an utterly mindless thrall. Twilight's words kept coming, as unyielding as the mountain. "I will be receiving regular reports from her, Mayor. Should I even so much as detect a hint of interference with her assignment, I shall hold you personally responsible."

Twilight slowly closed in on the Mayor. Mayor Mare wished she could prostrate herself on the floor right now, but her Queen had forbidden such antics. Twilight's face filled Mayor Mare’s vision, and had a slight smile on it. "Have I made myself clear, Mayor?" She asked in a soft, entirely reasonable voice.

The Mayor nodded much more smoothly, enthusiastically. "Yes Mistress." She whispered out, tapping her hooves together nervously. "Not one bit of interference. No exposing her. No taking action against her. I understand completely, Mistress." the Mayor began to feel faint just from the proximity to that impossible amount of Dissonance just in her general vicinity.

Suddenly, Twilight pulled back and the sheet pressure of dissonance slowly drained out of the room. "Excellent. I am so glad you have decided to be reasonable." Twilight turned on her hoof. "I shall be leaving for Canterlot today. I will expect regular reports on the movements of the Faithful from you. You will send them to me directly. Good day, Miss Mayor."

The door shut behind Twilight, and Mayor Mare sank into her seat, mopping the sweat from her brow. By the Moon, she is strong. She could crush us all, now. The Mayor knew that meant she'd better bucking toe the line, even if this assignment was just this side of Insane.

Or certainly, she was looking forward to lording it over a now nearly powerless Celestia, trapped in the body of a young unicorn. Still. She wished Mistress had seen fit to reward her at least a little bit. Still, perhaps in time the former Tyrant would prove herself incapable of learning any lessons at all. Yes. I can but hope she'll simply fail totally. Surely then, Mistress will give me a little more leeway with her...

~~~~~~~

Rarity finally shoved shut the last of her suitcases, and waved at the guard to haul off the last load towards the chariot landing zone. She paused and turned slowly around in the empty room that had been her studio for so very long. It was more than just a little sad, to see the old girl so empty like this.

She swallowed a lump in her throat, running her hoof along bare wooden shelves and tables too large to take with her. She gently stroked along the bannister of her stairs, and caressed the knob of her front door. With a touch of magic, she locked it behind her and trotted out into the street, only to turn and stare longingly at the Carousel Boutique.

It had been her home for so very long, that Rarity genuinely forgot when she'd actually moved into the place. It had been the site of all of her life's triumphs. Sapphire Shores and Hoity Toity, Photo Finish and the Gala dresses. Rarity took a deep breath and exhaled softly. All things must change, darling. You know that better than most.

She forced herself to turn away, trotting down the street and blotting away the tears in her eyes. It's not goodbye, Rarity. Yet even that was hard for her to believe. Their lives were changing indelibly. There would be no going back to the way they were, no returning to the innocence. They were committed now, to a new cause and a new dream.

She turned down a side street, deciding there was one last thing she had to do. Minutes later, she found herself outside of the school house where all the foals were playing outside. There was Miss Cheerilee, watching over them as she ever had. Rarity cleared her throat, hoping she didn't look too terrible. "Sweetie Belle! Darling, where are you?" she called out, scanning amidst the mass of foals for that distinctive mane color.

She didn't need to look long. Sweetie shot like a rocket off of the swing, and into the waiting forehooves of her sister. The two of them embraced tightly for a few long silent minutes, Rarity's hoof slowly stroking the little filly's mane. I must not cry. A lady does not cry in such times, she shows courage. She still couldn't stop the sniffling, or the wetness from getting into Sweetie Belle's mane.

Sweetie gently pushed rarity away a little to smile at her. "It's alright, sis." She said softly. "It's not forever, right?" Rarity had to nod at that one, a tremulous smile on her lips. Sweetie gently giggled and wiped away Rarity's tears. "I won't be alone, sis. I've got the girls, and Miss Octavia is really nice! And I'll come visit as often as I can, okay?"

Rarity nodded and rubbed at her eyes. "I... Thank you, Sweetie." She whispered softly. "You're ever so much braver than I am." Sweetie Belle blushed and muttered a disclaimer, and Rarity shook her head firmly. "No. You are." She firmly hugged her sister again. "You take care of yourself, sister. I shall let you know as soon as I can when I have settled enough for visitors."

Sweetie nodded enthusiastically, then grinned. "You got it sis!" She hopped up to plant a kiss on Rarity's cheek, then ran back off to the playground, waving enthusiastically. "Have a good trip, big sis!"

Rarity took a deep breath and forced a smile onto her face. Strength, Rarity. For her. She turned and headed down the street again - her head held high. Even if her eyes were a little bit red.

~~~~~~

Two dark cloaked figures stood on the edge of the Everfree forest, waiting in silence. One, a massive chitinous form, the other a batwinged pony of unusual size and strength. They stood together as old friends, because despite the vast difference in their races, they were. In their line of work, only the strong survived at all. And only the lucky, or the brilliant, survived for any length of time.

They had known each other nearly as long as they'd lived, and by now nearly everything was old hat to them. Even waiting. There was no need for banter at the moment, as they would have plenty of time to discuss other things when the answer to their offer arrived. The changeling General, Stratego narrowed his eyes and hissed gently. "At last."

Commander Night Scythe arched an eyebrow and turned his eyes towards the horizon - where sure enough, a single black Changeling drone was buzzing towards them at tremendous speed. Moments later, it had dropped a scroll wrapped in black ribbon at Night Scythe's hooves, and then careened off into the forest as fast as it could.

Night Scythe plucked up the thing with his wing and tore it open, examining it quickly. His visage transforming from unemotional to a slow smile. "We've been ordered to report to Canterlot in two weeks’ time, to swear our armies and ourselves to the Queen. It seems that we have a Nightmare after all." He snapped the scroll closed and flicked his wing at the air. "Sombra was a fool."

The giant changeling nodded once. "Yesss." it hissed, a gleam of triumph in its eye. "He was. But a useful fool, none the less. Come my friend, there is much to do if we are to arrive with suitable pomp and circumstance." He smirked slyly, not that most changelings gave a damn about pomp or circumstance. "She will likely be repealing the Race lawsss on the same day. It shall be a triumphant moment for us all."

Night Scythe laughed uproariously, shaking his hoof at the air. "Indeed my friend. What a grand and glorious day! And to think, you and I shall be proper Generals!" He smirked slyly. "You think that we'll make those pansies in the guard crap their armor?"

Stratego grinned with those razor sharp teeth indicative of all changelings. "I think we shall do far more than merely that, old friend. I think we shall shake their entire world to its foundations."

~~~~~~

Luna was waiting for Twilight as she slowly descended from the Chariot that had carried her away from Ponyville. Luna chuckled softly. "We shall have to train you in the use of those wings soon, Mistress." She spoke softly, falling into step beside Twilight as they passed back into the Cloud Fortress, dozens of pegasi crawling all over the place and making ready to move out. Luna then chuckled again. "Perhaps Miss Dash would be willing to give you... Lessons." She winked slyly, and Twilight laughed gently.

The two of them walked in companionable silence for a time, Twilight not really ready to return to her room yet. After a few minutes, Twilight spoke up gently. "Luna." she spoke the word gently, lovingly. "Thank you." Luna turned her head, eyes a little wide in surprise. "You have been my rock through all of this, Luna. I owe you so very much." Twilight gently sighed, leaning against her.

Luna wanted to stiffen up, but did not - instead leaning back into Twilight and nuzzling her cheek against hers. She sighed. Tia is right. "Twilight.." Luna spoke up gently, urgently - pushing herself away from the beautiful mare. "You have realized I am your aunt, yes?" She braced herself - for an explosion, for disbelief, for... something.

What she got was a sly smile and a kiss on her cheek. "Duh." Twilight giggled softly, apparently seeing something amusing on Luna's face. "I mean, you are Tia's sister. The rest sort of follows." She wiggled her hoof a little bit in midair. "And before you ask, no - That doesn't bother me in the least."

Luna blinked in surprise, before Twilight pulled her close up against her again, a racy grin on the Alicorn's face. "Luna, I love you. Everything else is just so much noise in the wind." She shrugged her shoulders. "Besides, It's not as though we're going to have foals with one another. I certainly don't see the problem."

She flicked Luna's rump with her tail. Twilight giggled gently and continued down the hallway, a little skip in her step. "Now come on. I think we need to spend a little private time to get your mind off that silliness." She smirked back at Luna, who had suddenly gone rooted to the spot. "You coming, Princess?"

Luna shook her head ruefully and quickly trotted after Twilight, a soft laugh on her lips. "I had thought you would be upset." She half stated, half asked as they rounded a corner to enter the royal suite. Twilight was smirking again, in a way that reminded Luna of herself during the dark times.

Twilight gently placed her hoof on the door. "Luna, I trusted that you'd come talk to me when you felt comfortable about it. That's part of what love means." She shoved open the door physically, and blinked for a moment at the scene that was within.

Twilight felt a sudden lurch of Vertigo as she walked silently through the door into the room. A Tall spire of purple crystal had been fashioned into a deep seated throne at one end of her Royal Quarters. All around it, were arrayed her friends - just as she had seen them in her vision so long ago.

Rarity and Applejack leaning against the wall - talking with one another as Rarity gently wafted her fan at herself. Applejack in that tight dark leather jacket, Rarity in the sleek purple silk dress. Fluttershy knelt to one side of the throne in the long flowing green dress, With Angel Bunny sleeping nearby.

Rainbow Dash lounged on a cloud she'd stolen from somewhere, A pair of shining golden flight goggles hanging around her neck, and reading a Daring Do book. Right next to her, Pinkie Pie was watching her read, or perhaps reading along with her - gently giggling and talking with her in a low voice.

Luna smiled a little behind her, passing her and trotting slowly into the room, taking her place next to Fluttershy and softly whispering into her ear as she knelt down. Fluttershy blinked and giggled gently, her soft trusting eyes coming up to regard Twilight lovingly.

Twilight felt a strength enter her, and her eyes close. I have burned my last bridge behind me. Her thoughts whispered. Prophecy had become fact. There was no going back. She was Nightmare Queen Twilight Sparkle now. She gently closed the door behind her with a touch of magic and marched over to the throne. Within a moment, she had gently sat within it - and felt a pulse of powerful dissonance magic flood through her.

She spoke gently into the silence - the eyes of all six of her friends now turning to her, smiles on each of their faces. Dark purple energy alight in their eyes. They were hers, just as she was theirs, and her voice rose into the air- a declaration of war, of peace, of Dissonance and balance.

"Long live the queen."

Author's Note:

What a long, strange trip its been.

The big announcement will be sent out later today, Along with the Epilogue of the Code's Apprentice!

So stay tuned, True Believers!