• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 21,254 Views, 1,041 Comments

The Code's Apprentice - Lapis-Lazuli and Stitch



For a thousand years, the Code of Harmony has ruled Equestria, and the Code of Dissonance has sabotaged its works at every turn. Now the war for control over the land will come to a head, and one unicorn's decision may decide the fate of all.

  • ...
46
 1,041
 21,254

Chapter 30 - The Student

~~~~~~Aboard the H.M.S. Commander Hurricane, Later that evening~~~~~~

Luna frowned a little. "Thou are certain of this? I did not wish to pressure you, Mistress... " In truth, Luna was very much wishing Twilight would want to avoid this meeting. It had already been awkward to explain Celestia's 'punishment' to Twilight. It had been even more awkward trying to explain to her why she'd done it when Twilight was asleep. "Truly. it may be best for you to exchange a few letters first." Luna was frankly nervous. There were a lot of things she still needed to smooth out between her sister and her Mistress, their... complex relationship dynamic just to start.

Twilight was not having it though. She had that firm, stern look in her eye that told Luna there wasn't going to be a chance of holding back this second showdown. I fear she's already got something nasty planned for the whole trial thing. Luna thought with a little shiver. She'd so rarely been around another pony of any species or gender that made her get... shivery like that. Even when contemplating her punishment, Twilight's very presence made Luna wonder how much of it would actually feel like a punishment.

Twilight shook her head once and stabbed her hoof gently into Luna's chest. "I understand your reticence, Acolyte. But my mind is made up. I'm... mentally prepared for her looking so different, and I understand that she's likely to act like Fluttershy right now. I get that." Twilight looked at the solid iron door to the brig, and sighed softly. "But I cannot let her go without speaking to her directly."

Luna swallowed, but nodded slowly. There was no stopping her now. So Luna just bowed her head and moved to the side of the door to wait, crossing her hooves daintily. Twilight frowned at her, but said nothing. I'm going to get it for my attitude later. Luna thought glumly.

Twilight shook her head firmly once more, and pulled the heavy door open with a touch of magic. Amazing how much stronger that spell's gotten. she thought idly. I'm going to need to be careful with everything until I know exactly how much stronger I actually am. Her hooves carried her into the room, which now looked absolutely nothing like a prison.

In fact, the place looked kind of homey. A large fire bowl held a crackling and cheerful little blaze near the center of the room, over which a kettle had been hung. Simple rugs were scattered about the bare stone floor, and the Cells had been transformed into a miniature house. The farthest looked to be the bedroom, but there was also a dedicated wash-room and a miniature library, complete with a stack of freshly completed notes.

The whole room smelled of ink and parchment and freshly brewed black tea. It was enough to remind Twilight strongly of the Library she'd spent the last four years calling home. Twilight found her steps balked, and she closed her eyes for a moment to fight back the tears, Steady, Twilight. she reminded herself, sucking in a deep breath and scanning the room.

Sure enough, Celestia - or perhaps, Twilight ought to call her Tia now - was nose deep in a very familiar book. It was one Twilight herself had spent weeks reading, long ago when she'd first gone to ponyville. Twilight had to smile just a little, watching the young unicorn drag her eyes across each page slowly and methodically. She looks so much like me... Her thoughts whispered kindly.

Twilight gently cleared her throat, and unlike Twilight, Tia automatically looked up to spot her. There was a soft gasp and a little clatter as she hopped off her chair and trotted over to Twilight. Twilight had to admit, this was an incredibly odd feeling. As though their roles had been completely reversed. They have, in a sense. You're the princess now, and she's the faithful student.

Twilight had always wondered what this might be like, this very situation - facing a young, talented but troubled unicorn that needed guidance, kindness and love. She had always wondered if one day, she would ever be able to live up to the example her teacher had set. Now you get to find out, Twi. She smiled gently, and opened up her hooves.

Tia paused in hesitation, and then gave in - rushing into those hooves and wrapping her own much shorter ones now around Twilight tightly. For a long silent time, the two just embraced one another. Twilight's wings extended and wrapped quietly around her once mentor, as she had so often done for Twilight. Tia, after all that's happened... I'm going to be strong for you, now. It was a sobering thought, realizing that there was no one left to save her when things got out of hoof. Cadence, maybe - but that would have to be one dire situation.

Tia wasn't crying, but she was very clingy. Twilight couldn't blame her, especially after the last few days of revelations. After ten minutes of that hug, Tia finally wiggled a bit and Twilight let her go. They sat across from one another, much as they had always done. Twilight felt a surge of whimsy, and her magic plucked the kettle up from the fire - she glanced around and quickly spotted the teapot, which she filled up with the boiling water. Within moments, the room was filled with the sharp smell of Tia's favorite black tea.

Twilight set down the teapot, and began to assemble cups and other necessities next to them. The little ritual had a calming effect on the both of them, she noticed. Once all was in place, she smiled at Tia. "How long has it been since we've done this?"

Tia actually chuckled, though her voice was much higher pitched than before. "Ages, it seems like." Tia smiled and lifted the teapot with her own bright gold magic, pouring it into the cups and stirring in a squeeze of lemon. "We used to do this every Friday, until you moved to Ponyville."

Twilight had to laugh softly. "Taking tea with the princess. It always made the other fillies jealous, even though I never really noticed." The both of them shared a soft laugh, and tinked the delicate cups against one another. "So. Tia now, is it?" Twilight hid a mischievous smile behind her cup. "I thought you hated that nickname."

Tia rolled her eyes a little, a wry smile on her lips. "Yes. I think that is quite the point my sister wanted to make." She sipped her own cup, eyes closing in pleasure. "I suppose I have been behaving much like a child these past few centuries. Greedy and self-serving, convinced I was always in the right." She sighed gustily. "I have had some hours to think on her... sentence and I must admit, it's an elegant solution. The rest of the details of what happened will be classified by EIS. With any luck, all of this will be glossed over by the change in rulership."

Twilight smiled slightly. "I think we're going to make bigger waves than just switching over from Princesses to Queens, Tia. That's another conversation though." Now Twilight pulled out the slim, white covered tome and set it down between them. "Before we start, I want you to know I haven't read a single page of this yet. What I want to know is why you wrote it."

Tia smiled sadly at the offending white tome lying on the floor. "It is best to think of it as my final... confession, I think is the word. After all I had done in my life, so much of it nopony even knows about, I thought that perhaps the time had come to finally bare my soul. To the one pony I knew might understand." Her smile at Twilight was not sad, but fiercely proud.

Twilight felt a rush of pleasure at that, and couldn't restrain her own proud smile. Yet, something still nagged at her. "That's not all there is though." She nodded at the book. "Unless history is even less forthcoming than I'd originally thought." That was a queasy thought, but Tia dispelled it with a headshake.

Tia chuckled, speaking gently. "No, that is certainly not all. There is a great deal in there about how to rule, and many of the duties I carried out. Suggestions and advice from all of the centuries I have ruled. And a few other little secrets." Tia smiled slowly. "Ones I think you ought to read for yourself. I'd rather not spoil the good parts for you."

Twilight smiled slightly. "I suppose I could understand that." She nodded slowly. "So. Cadence." She let that one hang in the air and Tia gave a devilish laugh. "Um. You said you hadn't had any children after... Starbright." She winced at the name, wishing she could now forget that she was even remotely related to Queen Chrysalis of all beings.

Tia just looked amused. "I told you I had not filled the position of the heir since her." She waggled a hoof with a smile. "Really, Twilight - you must learn to be more cunning. You're going to need it in the days ahead." Tia giggled, then calmed down. "Truly though, perhaps this is for the best. Two sisters ruled this land, and now two new sisters have taken their places. It has a wonderful sense of Balance to it - and that is something this world sorely needs. I see that now, with the veil of purpose lifted from my eyes."

Twilight blinked a little at that, and wrote it off as Tia being cryptic. Sheesh, even as a little unicorn she can't stop being mysterious. Twilight rolled her eyes and then tapped her forehoof. "So. Let's stop dancing around the subject, shall we?" A slow smile came to Twilight's face. "You are to be my... ah, faithful student." Twilight could not help but keep the amusement out of her tone.

Tia smiled back in the same amused way. "Oh yes, I believe so. I am to write you reports on the magic of friendship." Tia giggled a little, eyes shining. "It has been a very, very long time since I have done anything of the sort. I admit, I am a little nervous." She frowned suddenly, as mercurial as Pinkie Pie. "And I worry about how I will deal with..." She gestured a limp hoof. "Well, living normally. It will likely be an incredible shock for me."

Twilight smiled a little. "Not as much of one as you think. Still, I'd suggest you hire an assistant that knows how to do housekeeping." Tia blinked at her, and a slow look of realization crossed the white unicorn's face. Twilight giggled before continuing to speak. "I've discussed things briefly with Luna. We'll be placing you on the exact same duties, stipend and legal status as I was. I'll be speaking with the Mayor about the arrangement, but nopony else in town will know anything specific about you."

Tia nodded slowly, even more nervousness coming to her face. Twilight hid her own grin, A little payback for sending me into this mad house all those years ago, teacher. "Finally, we are agreed that Luna will be the final judge on if you're ready to come back." Twilight arched an eyebrow. "Any questions?"

Tia shook her head. Then... she nodded it slowly. "Yes." She spoke softly. "Twilight... what of us?" Her words were a very gentle plea and question rolled into one.

Twilight sighed gently. "I honestly don't know." She wanted to glare, but it only came halfhearted. "You fed me a lie my entire life, mother. Not just a small lie either, but nearly every facet of my life was all in service to that lie." Twilight stomped on her anger before speaking. "I love you, with all of my heart. But I can't just forget what you did to me. How you used me, played me with like a pawn. You may have had the very best of intentions, but that does not excuse it!"

Tia swallowed visibly, trembling a little. Twilight bit down on her lip, almost enough to draw a little blood before speaking again. "Tia. Right now, Luna is being wiser than us both. We need time apart, we need to let time pass, to let us both settle into our new lives." Twilight looked away. "I shouldn't make promises, mother... but I'm going to do it anyway. I promise I will do everything I can to move past this. But I need to know, in more than just honeyed words - that you are truly, and completely sorry for what you've done."

Tia herself fought back the tears. She hated the words her daughter was saying, but she knew she was right. She just didn't have to like it. "Then how can I prove that to you, little one?" Tia asked in a tremulous, sad voice. "Tell me, and I shall see it done. I will give it everything I possibly have within me." Her voice began to grow defiant, determined.

Twilight smiled at that, even if just a little. "You'll prove it to me in Ponyville, Tia. As for the how, that you'll have to figure out on your own." Twilight stood up, finishing her tea. "The Fortress will be leaving tomorrow to return to Cloudsdale for repairs. Cadence, Luna and I will be leaving with it. We'll be sending you down to Ponyville then, to start your own journey."

Tia stood up herself, looking calm and determined. Without prompting, she gave a courtly bow, then ran over pell-mell and grabbed Twilight in another hug. "I won't fail you, my Teacher." She whispered, burying her face in Twilight's chest.

Twilight softly stroked her back. "I know you won't, my most faithful student."

~~~~~~~

Spitfire looked up at the knock on her office door. "Come in!" She called, grumbling as she scrubbed the blood off of her desk. Damn recruits with their damn pranks. The door swung open, revealing a familiar white stallion. "Afternoon, Prince." Spitfire drawled as she tossed the bloody rag into the trash. "What can I do for you?"

Shining grinned and trotted into the room. "Got someone you need to meet. She'll be the first recruit for that new task force you were talking about." Shining beamed proudly, and Spitfire arched an eyebrow at him. Shining armor then blinked. "What? What's with that look? I thought you'd be happy!"

Spitfire snorted. "Shining Armor, you're a hell of an officer. One of the best I've ever had the privilege to serve with. But I swear to the moon, the recruits you bring in are almost always trouble." Shiny blinked and looked a bit sheepish. Spitfire sighed. "But I did tell you to keep an eye out. What the buck. Bring 'em in." She waved her hoof at him, then moved around behind her desk.

Shining armor nodded and trotted back to the door. "Come on! She's waiting." Shining waited smiling on the inside of the door. Spitfire felt a momentary burst of dread, wondering who in the heck Shiny might have found in ponyville. Waitaminit. The report. Surely he isn't serious about...

"Rejoice, fair Commander! I, The Great And Powerful Trixie! Am here to assure you glorious victory in all conflicts to come!" It was. Trixie swept into the room in her trademark cape and hat, her eyes sparkling with joy. "Truly, you are blessed that the Great and Powerful Trixie has deigned to join your merry band."

Spitfire stared. Then she facehoofed. "Shiny. She's... The threat list... you have thirty seconds to explain yourself, mister. " She jabbed a hoof at Shining Armor, who looked innocent as hell as Trixie flounced past him and took a dainty seat on one of the office chairs.

Shiny held up a hoof. "Look, she knows she's screwed up in the past. We talked about it. But I'm no fool, Spitfire. She saved a lot of townsfolk during the changeling attack." He pulled a thick file out from under his arm and tossed it on the desk. "And that's not all. You remember the Hollow Shades problem? She's the one Luna sent in to fix it. She's got the skills, Spitfire. What's more, she's practically ready made for this job. She wants the limelight, she's a damn fine actress, and she's got a career that's a perfect cover."

Spitfire glowered at him, but flipped open the file - slowly leafing through it. As she did so, her face went from angry to intrigued. "Huh. Not bad." She commented on one particular part. Several pages further, she snorted in laughter, looking up. "Did you seriously do that to Commander Night Scythe?"

Trixie smiled beatifically, then affected an innocent look. "Trixie officially admits to nothing. Unofficially, Nighty had it coming to him. No one messes with the Great and Powerful Trixie's hat." She gently tugged the brim down a bit further onto her head.

Spitfire laughed softly, flipping the file closed. "For that alone, I'd give you a shot." She folded her hooves over her chest and gave the powder blue unicorn a stare. "Alright. Here's the deal. We've got a previously unknown threat in Equestria. Something with enough resources to put a top-level infiltrator onto one of our most secure military vessels, and get away with it. There's one teensy problem though."

Spitfire leaned forward, her hooves pressed together. "Because of how bolloxed up everything got here in the last few days, we can’t admit that threat even exists." She flicked her hoof, Trixie nodding slowly. "So we're going to put together a special team. A mix of current and former military service ponies, and civilians with high levels of talent to track down this threat, and neutralize it if at all possible. "

She stabbed a hoof towards Trixie. "This is not an official government job. You're going to be funded through a lot of dark channels, and we will deny any involvement with you if things go sour." Trixie was frowning a little now, but Spitfire had a grin on her face. "I know, not exactly what you expected. But, here's the good part. If you succeed - and of course, if you survive - you'll get to write your own future. EIS takes care of its own, Miss Lulamoon. We can make sure you get the recognition you want, and all of the benefits to go with it."

That sparked a gleam in Trixie's eye. "Hmph. Now that sounds much more up Trixie's alley."

~~~~~~~

"And now..." trilled Rarity, gently clattering her spoon into the bowl. "Onto our next order of business."

The five friends sat satisfied and happy around the dinner table. Rarity had been leading the meeting for several hours now, and everypony agreed she seemed to have the best handle on things. Dash might've argued, but it looked like trying to keep control of this kind of thing was a real drag, so she simply let Rarity hog all the attention - and all of the frustration.

Rarity smiled slightly. "We need to make some decisions about how we are going to deal with the various family issues." She arched an eyebrow at the crowd of ponies, all of whom shifted a bit uncomfortably. "We are agreed that we cannot remain here in Ponyville. Twilight has too much need of us. Yet all of us have local ties which will be difficult to break."

Applejack nodded, unhappily. "I can call in some other members of the Apple Family to handle the work load, but somepony's gotta take care a' Applebloom." She frowned. "And Granny's gotten a little too creaky to keep up with her."

Dash nodded a little. "Well, my stuff is pretty easy. I just put in for a transfer to the Canterlot weather team, and Twilight stamps it. I'm only worried about Scoots, to be honest." That got her to stare at the ground. "I mean, I don't even know her parents. I couldn't ask em to send her with us just so I can keep up on flying lessons."

Pinkie smiled a little. "The Cakes are okay with it. They're gonna hate finding a new foalsitter, but I think they'll forgive me when I open up a Sugarcube Corner in Canterlot!" She giggled softly, and everyone at the table gave a little smile.

Fluttershy shook her head a little. "I'll be fine." She whispered, and got a severe look from Dash for it. Fluttershy smiled and shook her head again, more firmly. "No, really. I already know who can take over my work for me, and Angel Bunny is coming with me."

That got a nervous little cough, to which Rarity quickly interjected. "And I've got little Sweetie Belle to worry about." She dismissed everything else with a wave of her hoof. The Boutique moving to Canterlot would probably be a massive boom for her business, but she wasn't worried about that right now. "And I am very wary of trying to separate her from her friends."

Nods went around the table, and Fluttershy of all ponies lifted a hoof. "Um, if I might make a suggestion?" Everypony blinked at her, and she blushed brightly. "Well, we know lots of ponies around here. I bet we could find somepony to look after the foals until they could move in with us."

Rarity blinked, and tapped at her chin. "Mhm. The idea does have some merit, but who would be willing to look after a pair of hyperactive foals, and take over flying lessons?"

Pinkie blinked and then her hair frizzed out. "Ooooh! I Know!" She clapped her hooves together excitedly. "Scratchy and Octi!" she bounced up and down, obviously quite excited.

Applejack stared for a moment, then shook her head. "Wait, Ya mean those two weird sisters?" She frowned a little, as if in thought. "A...huh. Yanno that might not be such a bad idea. Octavia's got a good reputation fer being no-nonsense."

Rarity smiled brilliantly. "And I know little Sweetie belle would just flourish in such a music rich environment. And dear Applejack, they are not weird they are simply unique." She sniffed softly. "Pinkie, I'm guessing they owe you a favor or two?"

Pinkie grinned a little. "Yup yup. Scratchy and I go way back, too. I bet they wouldn't mind helping out if I asked em real nicely." She beamed at the table. "So, problem solved rightyo?"

Dash rolled her eyes. "Whatever. I suppose I could go hunt for somepony to take over for scoots for a while." She crossed her forelegs, frowning. "Girls...are we sure we can do this? I mean, Ponyville's my home. More than Cloudsdale ever was. I don't like the idea of just... leaving her behind."

Rarity shook her head slowly. "I agree with you darling, but until the Queen is ready to strike out on her own from Canterlot, that place is still the center of Equestrian power. That's where she'll need to be if she has any desire to change the status quo."

Dash sighed and nodded, and so did the rest of the ponies at the table. Rarity nodded decisively. "Very good. Next item on the agenda is our property. I've been speaking with a financial expert, and I think we ought to hold on to it together..."

~~~~~

"Cadence, does it ever get any easier?" Asked Twilight, watching the sun heading slowly towards the horizon.

"Does what get easier, Twily?" Cadence replied quietly, wrapping a wing around her little sister.

"Being in charge of things. Realizing that everypony is now relying on you, and not the other way around." Twilight whispered, her head leaning against her big sisters mane. "Being alone."

Cadence chuckled richly. "Twilight Sparkle, I promise you. You will never be alone. You'll always have me to lean on when times get rough."

Twilight had to smile. "Cross your heart and hope to fly?" she asked gently, a teasing note in her voice.

Cadence made the little motion. "And stick a cupcake in my eye." She winked, cheerfully.

Author's Note:

One more chapter to go! (Plus the Epilogue, which will be shorter than a normal chapter)

THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT IS COMING!