• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 1,179 Views, 108 Comments

Convergence Series: Journeys - TheGreatEater



Twilight finds a spell that allows the main 6, Celestia, and Luna to take a journey to the depths of their soul and see what destiny really means.

  • ...
8
 108
 1,179

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Rarity: Spirit of Generosity

She made her way slowly into the next room. Apprehensive of what she would next walk into, having been caught off guard the last two times she was alter to her surroundings this time so she wouldn’t be caught unawares. As she entered the next room she noticed as the room shifted and morphed into a replica of the park where her and the girls had their pet playdate picnics.




As she looked around she could see a wicker basket over a red and white checkered blanket. Sitting by the basket was a double of herself that radiated a white aura as if she were a rare statue. With eyes that glowed with azure flames. “Come darling you must be positively famished after all those dreadful ordeals.” Her double stated while waving a hoof invitingly.




“Not too be rude darling, but are you supposed to be me?”




“But of course. Who else could look as magnificent as myself?”




“And how. You look absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had some paper on me because you are a truly inspirational in your beauty.”




Her doppelganger smiled at her and gave a small titter. “You are too kind. But anyways, this place is about you. You have come a long way in a short amount of time, and now the healing begins. I’ll show you some of the greater moments of your life, and from there you will heal from the traumas that you have underwent.”




*********************




Rarity was sitting with her baby sister Sweetie Belle. She thought that she was too young to look after a baby, but like when she was young her parents left her on one of their vacations / work seminars. It was this chaotic, unorganized lifestyle that had turned her to fashion. As well as her obsessive compulsive disorder. Since her own space was the only part of her life that she had control over.




Adding in a baby for her to foalsit for who knew how long was aggravating, but she was determined not to mess up this life she was handed like hers was. She’d give her love, stability, and the attention that she never fully got. Cradling Sweetie Belle in her forelocks she cooed softly at her. Hoping not to wake her up.




“Hey Sweetie Belle. I’m your big sister Rarity, I’m going to be watching over you for a while. I know that I may not be perfect, but never forget that I love you. I will give you the life that I never had a chance to have. You won’t have to worry about moving every few weeks or months for no reason. You won’t have to run yourself ragged trying to fit in and find a slice of happiness only to lose it when you have to leave. You will be able to keep your friends, make happy memories, and I’ll always be here for you. I promise you that.”




***********************




Rarity wiped a tear from her eyes as she remembered that day. It hit her harder to know that her sister thought that she was unloved by her sister. But she was going to fix that when she got out of here. “I truly do love my sister. Yes she does drive me mad sometimes, but she means well and I don’t know what I’d do if I were to loose her. You know that right?” She asked her double.




“Of course dear. With the life you’ve lived you’ve done your best for her, and she knows that you love her. It’s just that you need to work on showing her more often just how much she means to you. Now on to the next memory.”




************




Apple Jack sat across from Rarity hours before the Sister Hooves Social was supposed to begin. Rarity was nervously shifting from hoof to hoof. She looked at Apple Jack and decided to go over the plan one more time.




“So I’m going to do a simple bubble spell to give us both about an hour of air to use so we can actually breathe. I’ll hide in ... the mud. Do we really have to do the whole mud thing? I mean it’ll take hours to fix my mane and get all that grime out.” She whined.




Taking a deep breath Apple Jack leaned in and stared at Rarity, “Listen what’s more important. Yer mane or yer sister? ‘Cause if you don’t fix the rift ya caused with yer sister than you’re gunna lose her for good. She loves ya, I know she does. But with how ya’ve been treatin’ her like she’s the lowest of the low. This is probably gunna be yer one chance to make things right. Show her that she means more ta ya than yer looks.” She said sagely.




“I guess your right. She is the most important thing in my life. Even more important than fashion. Although don’t tell her that. I do have a reputation to uphold. So anyways. After you jump in the mud I take your hat, hiding my horn. Then do this little get together with her. You’ll jump out of the muck than I’ll reveal myself. Problem solved!”




“Not quite, but it’ll put ya on a the right track. It’ll start repairing this rift y’all have between ya.”




“I hope so Apple Jack. I truly do hope so. I just hope that I’m not too late. I don’t know what’ll happen if I lose her.” She said with tears in her eyes.




She couldn’t believe that her obsessiveness and materialism had almost destroyed the one good thing in her life. While she wasn’t Sweetie Belle’s mother she truly did feel a maternal love toward her, and the thought of her actions loosing her sister was like a knife in the chest. And she was going to do everything in her power to make things right.




As the race started she was covered in mud, surrounded by her magical air bubble. When Apple Jack landed in with her, she took the hat and pulled herself to the top. As the race continued she was filled with a sense of pride for her sister. Even though they didn’t win. That didn’t matter too Rarity. The look on her sisters face when she saw that it was Rarity that did the race with her instead of Apple Jack was so worth it. Her heart felt like it would explode with joy at fixing the rift between them that it became one of her favorite memories of her life so far.




*************************




Rarity had by this time healed most of the way from her trials. And with her reliving that memory she had tears flowing freely down her face. She was so overcome with emotions that she glomped her double, crying tears of joy into her coat as she nuzzled her neck.




“Please tell me something. What do my friends really think of me? I need to know. Was I truly so frivolous and ungenerous?” She asked after she had composed herself. It was something that had been nagging at her for awhile now. And it was something that she needed closure on.




“Well ... what you saw is the darker things that you’ve been thought of,” Putting a hoof in Rarity’s mouth she cut off the comment that was coming. “But the other side of things is that you are seen as having a good heart with good intentions. You’ve just lost sight of what brought you into fashion in the first place. It wasn’t the notoriety, or the wealth, nor was it the attention that you have received lately. You came here not just because you are here to support Twilight. You are here because you yourself are looking to find your roots again.”




*****************




Rarity loved her family, she really did. Even though they were always busy with Hoofball training and tours with her father. And her mother going out on work seminars or traveling for her job as a freelance efficiency expert. Rarity had very little time to get settled into one place, she never made any friends and never had time to find her passion since by the time she finished unpacking she’d have to move again.




This all changed on her 6th birthday, they had just moved into Canterlot for her mothers work when she came across something that would change her life forever. Fashion. Seeing how the mundane could be made extraordinary. How the ugly could be transformed into the beautiful. It was eye opening. She had always been self conscious as a child. Her head was too round, rather than the thin, ovular shape of most ponies. Her skin was a color of white that was neither refined, nor ugly. It was just there. And her voice was sharp and filled with the squeakiness of youth.




But this was something new. Something that could make her look beautiful rather than her unflattering look. But it wasn’t enough to just learn fashion, she needed to be able to create fashion. So from that day forward she put all of her effort into learning how to sew. How to fashion jewelery and accessories. Everything she could. Than it happened.




She got her Cutie Mark. From that moment on she had the skill and the talent to do something for ponies that were in her situation. No longer would a pony have to feel ugly, unloveable, or repulsive. A filly for even a moment could feel as if they were a beautiful princess and all the eyes of the world were on them. And a colt could feel like a handsome prince, no longer something to be looked down on, but looked up to.




It was that need to elevate others. To make them see the beauty that was on the inside. To allow others too see “them” as they were that inspired her fashion. Yes she wanted to shine across Equestria, but it was so that others could no that they were beautiful, and that others could care for them that she wanted to shine. It wasn’t for wealth or fame. It was for those she could help.




*****************




The tears she had before were nothing to now. Waterfalls were coming out of her eyes from the conflicting emotions. On one hoof her inner filly would buck her in the face for how far off course she had gotten. And how distracted from what she originally got into fashion for. On the other hoof she was so happy that she saw that memory. That purity, that original goal was something that she had always strove for, and now with herself reminded of what drew her into fashion to begin with her inner fire that had been dying down as of late had been rekindled.




It was at this moment of revelation. This emotionally jarring awakening of her self. That her body had finally healed, and with that her double grinned. As she hugged her a portal opened before them, “Here is a portal to the next room for you to pass through.”




Rarity stepped away from the hug and shook her head. “I’m sorry but I have to go back. There are others who are suffering as I did, and I would be a poor Element of Generosity if I didn’t go back and help.”




“You do know that any of those you help can’t be fixed here later? There pain, if you share in it. Will be for you to heal on your own I cannot help you.” Her double tilted her head and looked at her with curiosity.




Rarity didn’t even stop to ponder if it was the right choice. For too long had she put her own goals ahead of others. Or did things that she thought of as best for them, but no longer. This was the time for her to truly make the change for the mare she wanted to become. A mare her sister could truly look up to.




“I’m going back. How do I do that by the way?”




“Simple I let you go. Now there is somethings you should know before I do though. One, when you go to a pony you can send them your emotions, love, support whatever. And it will flow into them. Two, you can’t recharge what you give others. So be careful you won’t be of help if you drain yourself completely before you can save them. And three, only the princesses are left with Luna being the worst off, Celestia being second worst off, and Twilight is asleep right now waiting to enter this stage of things.”




With that being said the room faded and the last thing she heard was her double saying that she would see her soon. Looking a head she saw Twilight Sparkle with her head held under her wing as she snored softly. Her coat a dull grey, and her breathing coming in ragged gasps as she cried to herself. With the occasional muttering. Walking up to her she made out what she was saying.




“That’s not me, I don’t want to be that I won’t be that. Forgive me!” Twilight cried sleepily.




“Of course we forgive you darling. You are a wonderful friend.” Rarity replied in a whisper as she gave a small kiss on the base of the neck that was showing from the side of her wing. As she did so she sent a little bit of the love she had for her friend. Not the love of a lover, but the closeness and warmth of friendship. It was her way of letting her know that she was still her friend, and hopefully it would be enough.




As she continued walking she saw Celestia from the fog, Celestia had bags under her eyes and looked as if she had stared down innumerable horrors in a short time. She wasn’t even looking as if she was paying attention to anything past putting one foot infront of the other like some kind of zombie pony before she passed out. Using her telekinesis she gently set the princess down as she sent some more of her love and inner strength to her. It wasn’t as much as she’d like to, but with her being told that Luna was the worst off she was conserving what she could for her.




As she sent that emotion into her she felt slightly drained. As if she had finished drafting up concepts for an entirely new line of clothing, and the dead line was a week from now. Similar to when she did something similar for her friend’s gala dresses. Not even three years ago.




As she saw Luna in the fog. While the others would have been walking forward. Luna was pure white and was trying to walk backwards, huddled down weeping like a foal. Rarity wrapped Luna in a hug and with what she hoped was a voice that could reach her said, “I’m here for you darling, were going to finish this thing together.”

Author's Note:

Again this chapter gets a major shout out to http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Deathpony45. I'll be honest I was having problems thinking about what direction I wanted to take Rarity in. For reasons stated in Fears and Darkside she wasn't my favorite character, and the cannon version of her has her as amazingly two dimensional personality wise.


But talking to Deathpony for an outside perspective he helped give me a more focused direction to not only shape her. But to redeem her. To give her depth, character, and something that for at least to me. Turned her from a character I didn't really like to who is now one of my favorite characters.


He also gave me the inspiration to have the Element of Generosity help Luna and jump start some Lunaty friendshipping. So if you like this chapter. Give him a look.

PreviousChapters Next