• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 8,988 Views, 211 Comments

Harmony Redux - errant



After settling in Ponyville, Vinyl and Octavia try to arrange their wedding. What could be simpler?

  • ...
9
 211
 8,988

Chapter 2

Vinyl and Octavia sat in their kitchen, early morning sunlight filtering through the open window. The wooden table between them was strewn with scribbled-on bits of paper nestled among the dirty bowls and silverware left over from their breakfast.

The scratching of quills filled the silence, each mare focused on their own scribing. Vinyl glared down at her own sheet of stationary as her writing implement, controlled by her magical grasp, danced across the page, leaving behind lines of fresh ink. Finally, it came to the bottom of the page and she signed her name with a graceful flourish. “There,” she sighed as the quill settled down on the table. “That’s it for my letter. How’s yours coming, Octy?”

Octavia’s writing paused, quill grasped uncertainly in her hoof. She glanced across the table, scowling at Vinyl’s completed missive while her own was barely half-written. “It’s getting there,” she replied before lowering her gaze and resuming writing.

“Sorry,” Vinyl said, reclining in her chair. “I forgot it takes you a little longer to write stuff by hoof.” She smiled minutely as Octavia muttered quietly, her inelegant appendage smearing a word. “I told you I’d help you if you wanted.”

“No thank you, dear,” Octavia answered absently, dipping her quill back in the inkpot. “I can manage this perfectly fine.”

“If you’re sure,” Vinyl replied easily. She slipped her hooves behind her neck, supporting her head as she leaned back and settled more comfortably into her chair.

Octavia continued to scratch at the paper, eventually glancing up to see Vinyl staring at her with a faint smile playing at her lips. “Just what, pray tell, is so amusing?” she demanded.

“You’re cute when you’re concentrating,” Vinyl said, her smile widening. “Well, cuter than usual anyway.”

Octavia couldn’t help the small grin that blossomed on her own face. Signing her letter with a slightly-marred signature, Octavia laid down her own quill. She stretched, tensing her back and shoulders against the strain of sitting hunched over. “Well,” she said, “I have my letter to my parents written. How about you?”

“Yeah, it’s done,” Vinyl said.

“Well, what did you tell them?” Octavia asked.

“I told ‘em I’m marrying the filly I’ve been with for the last year or so and they should haul flank to Ponyville for the wedding,” Vinyl answered.

“That’s . . . essentially what I told my family as well,” Octavia said. “Though with somewhat more sophisticated language.”

Vinyl shrugged, rolling her shoulders with an exaggerated motion. “I guess that’s all of that, then. We’ll mail the letters and invitations later today and wait for everypony to show up.”

Octavia nodded. “Yes, I suppose so. We’ve already prepared the spare bedrooms for our respective families and the preparations are coming along nicely. There’s not much to do now but wait for the big day.”

“I bet I could think of a few other things we could do,” Vinyl said with a sly grin.

“Vinyl Scratch, you are so predictable,” Octavia said with a shake of her head. “But I wouldn’t have you any other way.”

“You must not mind it too much if you’re marrying it,” Vinyl replied with a playful wink.

“That’s true,” Octavia said as she slid out of her seat, landing on her hooves and making for the door.

“Hey, where the heck are you going?” Vinyl called after her.

“To lay down on the couch, if you care to join me,” Octavia’s voice floated back.

“But“—Vinyl glanced at the dirtied bowls strewn across the table—“There are still dirty dishes.”

“I don’t feel like dealing with them at the moment. I feel like laying on the couch with my mare and being lazy,” Octavia replied.

Vinyl paused, lips pursed in thought, before shrugging philosophically. “Works for me,” she muttered as she followed after Octavia, settling down on the couch so that she was cradled by her forelegs. She nickered quietly as Octavia’s hoof ran through her vibrant mane, reveling in the soft touch. Closing her eyes with a contended sigh, she said, “I just realized something, Octy.”

“What’s that?” Octavia asked quietly.

“I really don’t know anything about your family,” Vinyl answered. “I mean, I know your mom and dad own a music store in Manehatten, but that’s it.”

Chuckling, Octavia continued to stroke her fiancée’s hair. “There’s not much more to tell, I’m afraid. But I don’t really know anything about your mother and father either.”

“They’re . . . boring,” Vinyl murmured. “I love them, obviously, but my dad’s a secretary in the Bureau of Equestrian Development and my mom’s an accountant. Nothing really interesting.”

“Really?” Octavia asked incredulously. “I find it hard to believe that a bureaucrat and an accountant produced the wild and untamed DJ who stole my heart.”

“Hey, I’m not that wild anymore,” Vinyl protested. “I started to calm down before I met you, and you’ve done a good job of taming me the rest of the way.”

“I know, love. I was just teasing you,” Octavia said.

Vinyl squirmed slightly, maneuvering to plant a kiss on the side of Octavia’s cheek. “Heh, I know. But your parents . . . they already knew about us, right?” she asked.

“Of course,” Octavia answered, face crinkling in confusion. “I keep in touch with my family by letter and phone. They know all about you.”

Vinyl looked away uncertainly. “Good. It’s just . . . I haven’t really told my parents that much about you. All they really know is that I’ve been dating and living with a filly from Canterlot, and that she’s a cellist.”

“What? Are you worried your mother and father might not approve of me?” Octavia asked, stroking Vinyl’s cheek.

“No! No, nothing like that,” Vinyl retorted, shaking her head. “In fact, they’re probably glad I’m with somepony respectable.”
“So what are you worried about, then?” Octavia queried.

“Well,” Vinyl said slowly, “I guess I’m kind of nervous about letting my parents meet the filly I’m marrying. I’m just worried it’ll be awkward or you won’t get along or something stupid like that.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry. I’m sure your parents are just happy that you’re happy,” Octavia said, snuggling deeper into the soft cushions and tightening her forelegs around Vinyl. “You’re worrying over nothing, I promise you.”

“Thanks, Octy,” Vinyl said as she nuzzled Octavia’s face. “I’m sure I am. I just don’t want anything to mess this up for us.”

“I understand completely,” Octavia said. “But I wouldn’t be too concerned. Between our family and friends, we are in good hooves.”

“Well, I’m sure in good hooves right now,” Vinyl said as she settled more comfortably against Octavia. Her eyes closed again, fluttering, as Octavia’s hoof began to toy with her mane once again.


An earth pony with a light grey coat stood behind the counter of a dusty music shop in Manehatten, strewn with receipts and invoices, idly flicking through the morning’s mail. Running through the usual litany of bills, he snorted and shook his head, causing his grey-streaked-with-white mane to flutter slightly. One particular letter caught his eye, distinctive with its Ponyville return address. Hurriedly, he tore it open with his teeth and extracted a folded piece of paper. A smaller bit of cardstock fell out and fluttered to the counter, demanding his attention with its silver embossing and elegant calligraphy. Curious, his eyes roved over it.

You are cordially invited to witness the marriage of Octavia Philharmonica and Vinyl Scratch on the 27th day of the 6th month of the Celestial calendar. The ceremony will be held at Town Hall in Ponyville. Please RSVP.

His breath caught in his throat and his heart seized; he called out into the rows of albums and displays, yelling, “Melody! Come over here!”

Near the front of the store, a beige-toned pegasus hovered slightly off the floor, using her wings to lightly dust the higher displays. The slight updraft rustled her blonde mane, sending it weaving about her head. Hearing her husband’s call, she landed immediately and trotted back to the counter where she found him avidly scanning a letter. “What is it, Silver?” she asked. Wordlessly, he pointed a hoof at an elegant-looking invitation lying on the countertop. Leaning over, she pulled it towards herself to read. “Oh, my,” she whispered, looking up at Silver as he sat down the letter. “I can’t decide if I should be happy,” she began, heart fluttering with nervous expectancy.

“Or be worried for our little filly,” Silver finished for her. Melody nodded and he continued, “I mean, we haven’t even met this other mare. All we know is what Octavia’s told us about her. What if she . . .” he trailed off.

Melody laid a hoof gently on one of Silver’s own, saying, “I know that we don’t know her. But our daughter does, and if she’s chosen this mare as the one who makes her happy then I think we should trust her.”

Silver sighed, inclining his head in acceptance. “I know, I know. It’s just . . . parents are supposed to worry about their foals, you know?”

“Of course,” Melody agreed. “But we didn’t raise a fool for a foal. Octavia can take care of herself and make her own decisions.”

“Right, right,” Silver agreed absently. “I guess we’ll be meeting her for the first time.”

“Vinyl, you mean?” she asked.

“Yeah. I wonder what she’s like,” Silver pondered aloud.

“Hm. Well, we’ve seen pictures of her. That hair of hers makes her look so wild, and apparently she likes the party scene a great deal.” She rubbed a hoof against her chin in thought. “I bet she lives up to the look.”

“What, like some kind of party animal?” Silver asked incredulously.

“Well, you never know,” Melody defended.

Sighing, Silver folded the letter and invitation back into the envelope. “I guess we’ll find out soon enough.”


In the twilit streets of Fillydelphia, a stallion trotted down the mostly-empty streets. The shadows played against his coat, casting its deep blue into an even darker shade. His hoofsteps passed through a progressively more residential district, the small houses divided by narrow strips of grass. Furtive bits of light escaped from drawn curtains, forming pools on the sidewalk that he briefly passed through.

Finally, he turned up one short walkway similar to its neighbors, trodding on the wooden porch with hollow thuds. Gratefully, he craned his head and clamped his teeth around a key dangling from his neck. It slid into the doorknob, turning smoothly with a twist of his neck. He stepped into the small foyer and into a short hallway hung with photographs of himself, a yellow coated mare and a smiling white filly with a shockingly blue mane that hung in spikes around her face, framing ruby eyes.

His steps carried him into the comfortably furnished living room where the mare from the photographs reclined on a pastel blue sofa that offset the delicate yellow walls. The couch, a small recliner and a low coffee table crowded near a television set which was itself adorned with more photos and mementos. “How was your day, Radiant?” he asked as he leaned over the back of the couch to nuzzle the side of the mare’s face, ruffling her pale orange mane.

“Huh?” she asked, startled. “Oh, Cobalt, it’s you. I didn’t hear you come in,” she said, returning the gesture.

“Is everything alright?” he asked, noting the letter spread open on the table and his wife’s unusual introspection; she normally heard him s soon as he stepped on the porch.

“I’m perfectly fine,” she said with a smile. “I’ve just had some wonderful news.”

Cobalt frowned, trying to think of any news she could have been expecting. A few seconds passed before he shrugged, saying, “Alright, you got me. What’s the news?”

“Our little Vinyl is getting married! Isn’t it fantastic?” she practically squealed, clopping her hooves in excitement. “I can hardly wait!”

“Married?” Cobalt asked, drawing the word out, testing it like an unfamiliar concept. “Vinyl is getting . . . married?” he finally managed.

“Mhm,” Radiant purred. “To that dreamy filly she met in Canterlot. Oh, it's so romantic. I wonder if they've thought of adopting a foal of their own.”

“I . . . I think that’s the least of our worries, honey,” Cobalt said, rubbing his hooves together in concern. “We don’t even know this ‘Octavia.’ How do we know she’ll be good for Vinyl?”

Radiant tittered, hiding her laughter behind her hooves. “Oh, Cobalt, that’s just your paternal instincts talking. Vinyl and her fillyfriend have been together for over a year now and they’ve been living together in Ponyville for quite a while. From Vinyl’s letters, she sounds perfectly marvelous.”

“B-but it just seems so sudden,” he objected plaintively.

“Don’t be silly, dear. We hardly knew each other for six months before we were married.”

“Well, yes, we were. But still . . . “ Cobalt trailed off.

Radiant shook her head, mane lightly fluttering. “We need to trust Vinyl on this. It’s her decision, after all.”

Sighing, Cobalt nodded his head in agreement. “So, when is it?”

“Later this week in Ponyville. We’d better start packing.”


“This is where you’ll be sleeping. I hope it’s ok,” Vinyl said as she pushed open a door, revealing a small room furnished with a bed and a dresser.

“It’s perfectly fine, sweetie,” Radiant said as she stepped inside and set down her bags. “After that long train ride I’m just grateful to be here.”

“Yeah,” Cobalt chimed in from behind her. “Ponyville’s pretty far from big-city Canterlot, especially for a . . . a DJ, right, Vinyl?”

“Yup; DJ PON-3, that's me,” Vinyl said with a cocky tilt of the head.

“A long way for a DJ and a high-class cellist,” her father continued.

“That . . . didn’t really work out well. For either of us,” Vinyl answered, looking away and pawing the ground. “But we’re happy here, so everything’s ok!” she said, perking back up.

“Uh-huh,” Cobalt grunted noncommittally.

“Well, where’s this filly of yours?” Radiant asked cheerfully, shooting a glance at her husband. “We’ve been dying to meet her.”

“Oh, she’ll be back soon. Her mom and dad are coming from Manehatten and their train was about fifteen minutes behind yours.”

“So what’s she like?” Cobalt asked, a hint of gruffness creeping into his voice.

“Huh? Octy, you mean?” Vinyl asked.

“I mean Octavia, the mare that you’re marrying!” he answered.

“Cobalt, honey, there’s no need to talk to Vinyl like that,” Radiant gently chastised. “But we would appreciate it if you would tell us a little bit more about her.”

“A-alright,” Vinyl said with an unsure glance at her father. “She’s really smart and nice and she plays the cello really well.”

An awkward pause filled the space between them as Vinyl trailed off. “Um,” her mother piped up, “we were hoping for a little . . . more detail, maybe.”

“Oh, right. Well, she was born and grew up in Canterlot. She studied music and she played with an ensemble that performed at a lot of fancy parties and stuff. She pretends to hate my music but I think she secretly likes it. She’s sort of stuffy and uptight when she forgets to be fun.” Vinyl paused to gather her thoughts, chewing her lip in contemplation before her eyes lit up in inspiration. “And she does this thing with her tongue—“

“Ok, darling, that’s lovely,” Radiant cut her off quickly. “She sounds very nice.”

“Yeah, she’s pretty cool,” Vinyl agreed with a wide grin.

“Just how long have you been dating her? Out of pure curiosity,” Cobalt asked.

“About a year, I think,” Vinyl answered. “We’ve been living together for most of that, too.”

“And you get along well, right? No big arguments or anything?” he pressed.

Vinyl’s face creased in confusion. “We’ve had a few fights, mostly when we were thinking of moving here. But we’ve worked ‘em all out.”

“Have you thought about pre-marriage counseling?” he asked.

“Cobalt!” Radiant cried. “What in Equestria has gotten into you?” she demanded.

“What?” he said defensively. “I just still think that this is very sudden.”

“We talked about this already, Cobalt,” Radiant said. “We have to trust our daughter’s judgment, and we are the last ponies to complain about a sudden romance.”

“It’s ok, mom,” Vinyl interrupted. “I know it’s sudden, but Octy and I have been through more together than most ponies who have been together for years. And anyways, you and dad knew each other for, like, a few months before you got married. Did you guys get counseling?”

“Well, no,” Cobalt began. “We didn’t. But still, just—“

“Dad,” Vinyl said softly as she laid a hoof on his shoulder. “I know you’re just worried about me. But trust me on this one; this isn’t some stupid idea we came up with last week.”

“I know, honey,” Cobalt murmured gruffly as he pulled Vinyl into an embrace. “Your mother told me that we should trust you too, but it’s hard for a dad.”

“I’m sure it is,” Vinyl said as she broke their embrace. “Just wait till you meet her before you start making judgments, alright?”

“I’ll try my best,” he promised. “B—“ The faint sound of a door opening and quietly chattering voices interrupted him before he could say anything else, capturing everypony’s attention.

“Vinyl? Are you here?” Octavia’s familiar voice called, tinged with its slight Canterlotian accent.

“Yeah, Octy; I’m showing my mom and dad their room,” Vinyl called back.

“Well, hurry up a little. My parents are here as well and we should make introductions,” Octavia answered.

“We’re coming,” Vinyl yelled back. Turning to her parents, she said, “C’mon and meet my fiancée. You’re gonna love her.”

“Lead the way, dear,” Radiant said, following after Vinyl with her husband as they stepped down the stairs. After a few hoofsteps they came to a halt partway down the staircase, Radiant and Cobalt looking past their daughter at a trio of unfamiliar ponies who were similarly looking up at them. A mare, a grey earth pony with a mane like flowing ink, stood preeminent among them. A pink bowtie adorned her neck, lending her a dash of sophistication that set her slightly apart from the lighter grey earth pony and beige pegasus shifting uncertainly behind her. “She really does look high class,” she whispered to her husband.

“Vinyl, why don’t you introduce your parents first,” Octavia offered, waving a hoof at the three ponies paused on the stairs.

“Um, sure,” Vinyl said, twisting awkwardly to allow a clearer view of the ponies behind her. “Everypony, this is my dad, Cobalt,” she said, gesturing at her father. “And my mom, Radiant.” They each waved a hoof in greeting as their name was announced.

“I’m pleased to meet you all,” Octavia said with a subtle curtsey. “Why don’t you come the rest of the way down so that I can introduce my family?”

“Oh, right. I guess we didn’t have to stand on the stairs,” Vinyl said sheepishly, trotting the rest of the way down the steps.

“Just come on, you silly filly,” Octavia said with a faint smile. “This is my mother, Melody, and my father, Silver Strings. They’ve just arrived from Manehatten. I’ve promised them lunch, so we can all eat and get to know each other.”

A gurgling noise announced Vinyl’s joy at the prospect of food. “Yay, lunch!” she exclaimed, a happy grin stretching across her face as she trotted into the dining room.

“We’re very grateful for the hospitality, Ms. Philharmonica,” Cobalt said, turning to Octavia instead of following his daughter. “We’d be happy to accept your offer, if it's no inconvenience.”

" 'If it's no inconvenience,' huh?" Radiant prodded her husband. "Weren't you the one who threatened to start eating the upholstery on the train if you didn't get something to eat soon?"

"I'm just trying to have good manners!" Cobalt objected.

“Um,” Octavia paused, taken aback by Vinyl’s father’s outburst. “It's no burden at all. Right this way, everypony," she said as she turned and led the way into the dining room, passing through into the connected kitchen as Vinyl's parents took their seats at the table with their daughter.

“Octy, do you need help carrying stuff in?” Vinyl called out.

“No, dear; I’ve got it well in hoof,” Octavia said as she emerged from the kitchen. A serving tray loaded with plates of salad balancing expertly on her back was quickly shifted to the middle of the table and she took her seat. “I hope everypony is fine with a simple salad for lunch.”

“I don’t even care,” Vinyl said as she poured a pitcher of creamy dressing over her salad. “I’m so hungry I could eat a hay bale.”

“Don’t,” Octavia warned. “You’ll make yourself sick. Again.”

“This is great,” Cobalt exclaimed around a mouthful of leafy greens. "Vinyl's got her dad's appetite, so it must be nice for her to be marrying somepony who can make such delicious food."

"Are you calling me fat?" Vinyl demanded indignantly, magically-gripped fork pausing above a plate loaded with a serving twice as large as anypony else's.

“Thank . . . you,” Octavia said with a glance at Vinyl. “It’s really nothing, I assure you.”

“Oh, my,” Radiant tittered to Octavia’s mother, Melody. “I can’t imagine what it’s like to have such a gifted and modest and daughter.”

“Hey!” Vinyl objected around a mouthful of salad.

“You’re not exactly modest, dear,” Radiant replied with an apologetic smile.

“I’m plenty modest,” Vinyl muttered. “I’m the most modest pony in Equestria. Aren’t I, Octy?”

“Rather far from it, actually,” Octavia answered nonchalantly.

"Aw, horsefeathers," Vinyl protested, swallowing another mouthful of fresh greens. "What is this, national pick-on-Vinyl day?"

"That's every day," Octavia, Cobalt and Radiant said in unison. They shared startled glances for a heartbeat before dissolving into raucous laughter that echoed through the room.

"Oh, Celestia help me," Vinyl begged as her marefriend and parents laughed helplessly at her expense, clutching their sides and gasping for breath. "Is it too late to call off the wedding?"

Author's Note:

I've officially had it with this chapter; I've uploaded it and I'm on to the next one. This one didn't turn out like I wanted it to, primarily because I seem to be incapable of writing comedy, so this will have to do.

I've been getting my butt kicked as I tried to write this chapter because I had a vision for it and how it would unfold, but I simply couldn't write it, no mater how hard I tried. I can't let the rest of the story linger while I try to write one chapter so I finished this one the best I could so that I could get back to being productive. I hope it isn't too terrible.

As always, I love my readers and comments/feedback so please don't hesitate to leave your thoughts, especially constructive advice or pointing out errors.

Ciao, everypony.