• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 16,320 Views, 600 Comments

Visual Prowess - UgalaaWriter



During The Fourth Great Ninja War, Sasuke is transported to Equestria. Longer summary in description.

  • ...
48
 600
 16,320

Hard Decisions

Simply put, Sasuke was a wreck.

He lay down, inside the cell, as he was guarded by four jonin. Guy, Kakashi, Kurenai, and Inoichi stood in front of the prison cell bars. It was fairly silent in the prison- there were a few other ninja in here, but they didn’t require a guard, like Sasuke did. They weren’t incredibly powerful, capable of killing Kage, like Sasuke was. Even Guy, who was normally upbeat, stayed completely silent while on the job.

Sasuke was bound with a tube of nutrients and water attached to him, on a stand, from two bags. He was inside a bed, and still couldn’t move, barely. Most of the bones in his body were still broken. He’d been cleaned up by nurses somewhat, but he was still fairly dirty; he hadn’t even had a bath yet. He was still asleep- and probably wouldn’t wake up for a little while longer. He’d had some moments where he’d drifted in and out of consciousness, but no more than that, really. He’d taken a horrible beating.

Kakashi wasn’t sure what to think about all of it.

He knew that, along with probably everyone else, Sasuke had needed to be brought to justice- but not like this. Kakashi realized that this was what a criminal got. A cold cell and no sympathy from anyone around him- and he was automatically wanting sympathy and more care for Sasuke, just because he had been his student. He didn’t know how Naruto had managed to do it- beat up his friend like that, and drag him home.

It would sort of be like him doing that to Obito, but worse. Their bond- Naruto's and Sasuke's- was stronger.

Kakashi supposed that Naruto was stronger than him for that- and not just physically, either.

A loud groan came from the cell- and all four jonin turned as Sasuke tried to move when he woke up- and couldn’t. He shifted a few moments before groaning again, and then falling silent. He had broken bones and was restrained by chains- he wasn’t going to go anywhere. Kakashi considered calling for a nurse, then thought better of it. Sasuke didn’t need it, not really. He could withstand a little discomfort.

It was a hazy, white existence of pain. Sasuke’s eyes were regaining their clarity, but everything was blurry- and everything was pain, too. Sasuke could barely see, much less hear, taste, or smell or think. It was all beyond him- all he could feel was that he’d been mauled near to death by one of those star-bears, or something. He could feel just how wrecked his body was, and he knew that it wasn’t good.

What he didn’t know, though, was where he was. He couldn’t remember anything- it was too blurry, too many details, for a brain that was obsessed with its agony. The pain blocked out anything else, and it was too important right now- no other thought or memory warranted any of Sasuke’s attention. He couldn’t move, couldn’t get up. He could try to open his eyes, though. He prepared himself.

His perceptive senses didn’t overreact, thanks to the dim lighting of the cell. He looked around for a few minutes- glancing there and there, at the stone walls, at the bed below him- only what he could move his eyes to. His neck wasn’t really able to be used. It was too damaged. The memories slowly came back to him, and when they did, he screamed.

He screamed loudly.

He screamed loudly, before breaking down and crying. It was humiliating, but he didn’t care. He stopped soon enough, afterwards. He was fairly sure he could hear the breathing of the four guards to his cell, and could sense their presence- and he knew all four of them. It didn’t matter to Sasuke, though. He was worried about something far different. He tried to raise his voice, but found it was a hoarse, terrible imitation of what he should’ve been able to produce.

“Am I going to be executed?” He asked them. It was the first, most important question. He remembered that he’d lost the battle to Naruto, and now that he was locked up, due to his missing-nin status, it was a very possible reality. He considered using Izanagi if that happened, even if he lost his visual prowess. There was no point in having it if he was dead. He couldn’t see them- his body was turned over- but he could hear them as he replied.

“That hasn’t been decided yet,” Kakashi replied. Sasuke let loose a moan of both relief and pain. That was good, he guessed. It probably stood to reason that they’d let him remain alive, because he doubted that Naruto would have him killed after all that he went through. He realized how dumb of a question it was, but only after he’d asked it. He wondered how well Naruto was doing. He no longer wanted Naruto’s or the Leaf’s destruction- and even though he’d brought him back, Sasuke still cared.

“How’s Naruto?” Sasuke whispered, and Kakashi whipped his head around so fast that he couldn’t believe he possessed that kind of speed. Was it possible? Had he just heard some sort of caring in the voice of THE Uchiha Sasuke? Kakashi could scarcely believe what he was hearing. He’d heard that Naruto had mentioned that Sasuke was changed, but… he’d never believed a single word of it. He thought it was just Naruto’s hope, and he’d imagined it, or something. He never expected to be confronted by it like this.

What he hated more was the way he had to answser it, though.

“I can’t tell you the answer to that question,” he droned. Sasuke closed his eyes and willed his body to move further away from the man, even if it wouldn’t do it. He should’ve expected as much. There was no way they would tell him, as a missing-nin, especially with the history that he had of attacking friends and allies of the village. Not to mention how he’d been put in here, too.

Kakashi hated himself for what he’d had to say. He’d had to treat Sasuke like dirt- like a common criminal. He didn’t like doing it, even if… even if…

If it was what Sasuke deserved, after all that he’d done?

He tried to put that thought out of his mind, and just went back to guarding.

Sasuke didn’t remain silent for much longer.

“How will my fate be decided?” Sasuke asked. Kakashi was almost certain that, in a situation like this, it’d be up to both the council and the Hokage, with the Hokage of the village getting the final say. He knew that the council would have a vote, but luckily, he no longer contained the idiots Danzo, Koharu, or Homura- Naruto had removed them on his first or second day of office- Kakashi remembered how angry they’d been.

“The Council of Konaha, and the Hokage, but the Hokage’s decision is final.” Sasuke wished that he could nod if he wasn’t completely immobile from the state that his body was in. He knew that he would be safe, then. He doubted that Naruto would have him executed. He wondered if anyone was ever going to visit him. For now, though, he managed to drift off to sleep. Later, he awoke to women taking care of him.

He realized he had a bedpan, and grimaced. It was incredibly humiliating, and certainly something that everyone probably enjoyed to see- come one, come all! See the great Uchiha Sasuke captured, and humbled! Sasuke growled, even as the women washing him finished, and they moved away hesitantly, before stepping out of the cell. Immediately, the seals on everything reactivated, and he was locked up again.

He knew that, in a few days, when he was a bit better, they would let him eat his own food- but for now, it had to be nutrients. He couldn’t even chew yet, really. That was how immobilized he was. Sasuke drifted off to sleep again, and in an hour or two, the jonin changed shifts- and Kakashi made a beeline for Naruto.

__________________________

Naruto was laid up, too, but it had only been maybe a day since the battle, maybe two. He had taken serious damage, but the worst of it was exhaustion, the wound in his chest, and the broken bones on the right side of his body- all of which was healing up well. The nurses had been extremely kind to him- and Sakura had visited him on more than one occasion. Who was permanently attached to his bedside, though, was Hinata.

She hadn’t left it since he came back, and he thanked her for her dedication. He had been in deep thought ever since he’d woken up. He was probably going to go back to sleep, but he knew that everyone was going to depend on him to make a decision. What to do with Sasuke? He knew that he couldn’t have him executed- he would never do it anyway, but especially not after what he’d gone through to get him back.

No, no. It had to be something different.

The decision, though, avoided Naruto, and instead, in its place, were the thoughts about what he’d done. Even lying in the hospital bed, Naruto cringed. He still remembered what he’d done- destroyed Ponyville, punched Celestia, threatened Twilight. It haunted him, and he couldn’t forget what had happened by his hand. Justice didn’t toss it aside- and he couldn’t abandon his morals for Justice.

For then he became like Sasuke, and then he became the criminal. He’d have to make it up to them- how, he didn’t know. He had no idea. Help rebuild their town, maybe. He knew that Twilight would come to visit, soon. He wondered when it would be. Surely, it couldn’t be too far off. He wondered if they would even speak to him, after what he’d done. It weighed much more heavily on him after the entire thing was over and done with.

He stared out the window as Hinata held onto his hand- and then, she spoke.

“Naruto, you look… troubled,” she said. Hinata was confused. She figured that, out of all things, he’d be happy. He had finally done what he said he was going to do- he had kept his promise to Sakura, he had done everything he set out to do. She gave him a bright, nervous smile. No one else but him and Sasuke knew of what had really happened over there. He hadn’t really told anyone what happened yet, besides the fact that it was a tough battle.

“I… I did things that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive myself for,” Naruto mumbled. Hinata, not expecting this at all, raised her eyebrows in surprise. Naruto had usually been the paragon of morality- he’d always done the right thing, and had managed to find a way out, without straying from what he didn’t like to do.

“It couldn’t have been that bad, Naruto,” she said, trying to console him,” I’m sure-“

“IT WAS, THOUGH! IT WAS!” He screamed hoarsely, and Hinata reared back in shock, before Naruto pounded the white sheets of the hospital bed in frustration and rage.

“I… I destroyed a town where the ponies lived. I didn’t kill anyone, but I still probably made them homeless. I’m pretty sure I broke the jaw of their Princess, when she attacked me. But those things still weren’t as bad as what I did next, when I was pushed. I was, I was desperate. I… I don’t know,” he whispered.

“Naruto, what happened?” Hinata asked, and when Naruto didn’t answer, she tried to turn him towards her- and when she turned him, she saw a familiar sadness that lurked deep within Naruto- an emotion he rarely showed, but Hinata knew that he had, at one time, felt it all the time- when ostracized from the village.

“I threatened to kill Twilight with a kunai if she didn’t take me and Sasuke back,” he said. “She didn’t want to do it because I punched Celestia in the face. But I… I made her do it,” he said. Hinata looked at him, with a mix of disappointed anger and sympathy, at the same time. He watched Hinata, wondering what she’d say to that. He hoped that she wasn’t disgusted.

“I’m not exactly impressed by it, if that’s what you’re worried about. I’m a little disappointed, Naruto. I thought you’d never resort to what other shinobi did.” That did it, right there. It wasn’t her anger, or shock that would’ve set him off- and even disgust, while bad, still would’ve been preferable to how she was making him suffer right now.

She was disappointed- which was probably worse than anything else.

She had expected better.

Naruto could only really hang his head in the hospital. Hinata didn’t say anything for several minutes. That was until he felt her warm lips pressing against his own-and then she broke off. Hinata gave him her brightest smile- while Naruto looked at her confused.

“Naruto, I will always love you. And I will always support you, even if you do the most idiotic, insensitive, cruel things. But I’d appreciate it if you made up for what you did.”

Naruto nodded again, still downtrodden, and Hinata smiled at him.

Then she jumped him, and their hands were all over each other- and later, when she was asleep, and her naked form was pressed against him, Naruto stared at the ceiling, and sighed. He knew what he was going to have to do. He only had to wait for Twilight to come for it. He’d have to make up for everything.

His conscience would probably kill him if he didn’t.

______________________

Kakashi had talked to Naruto about not guarding Sasuke. He’d said that it wasn’t an option- and that they didn’t have enough jonin right now, for him not to.

Kakashi only sighed.

By chance, they tried to visit Sasuke at similar times. It had been nearly two weeks in Equestria, even if it had only been three or four days in Konaha. Naruto had left the hospital that day, in his cloak that matched his father’s so well, and headed off to the prison Sasuke was detained at. On the way, a bright light and a popping noise- and then Twilight was next to him, too, and she glared at him as she appeared.

He could only offer her a guilty look back, and she seemed to soften up a bit, but didn’t say anything as he walked forwards. For a few minutes they were silent as they walked through the village- that was, until Twilight decided to speak, first. Naruto listened- it was the least he could do after what he’d done. He knew how he was going to make up for it, though- at least, he hoped that it would make up for it.

“We started rebuilding Ponyville,” she said, and Naruto nodded as they continued to walk through the village while talking, “and Celestia’s jaw is healing. I’m still furious with you about that, Naruto. It’s going to take me a while to forgive you.” Naruto didn’t offer any sort of defense; he was already getting more interaction than he deserved. He’d rather be bitched at than entirely ignored by her.

“As you can imagine, your reputation in Ponyville- and in Equestria in general, since you did punch our Princess, after all, isn’t that great. It’ll take a lot to make up for that,” she said. Naruto only turned and she continued following him as they walked into a building- and, once inside, they walked closer and closer until they descended several flights of stairs. Every ninja that passed him saluted him.

It only made him feel worse- that he was still accepted, even after what he did. The place was completely locked down, tight- there was more than just one criminal in here. The guards in the top levels were low to mid chuunin range. As you went deeper, though, the criminals only became more dangerous. Sasuke had an entire floor to himself because they hadn’t had any A-S rank criminals in a while.

They descended the stairs and got to the bottom floor in silence. No one talked for several minutes, and Naruto had all the silence that he needed to be able to think. He needed to both rebuild Ponyville, and help with what he’d already promised- and he’d do both of those things, as soon as they were done visiting Sasuke. They reached the bottom and slowly walked through the cold halls.

There was no noise, and Twilight shivered at the conditions. How a wounded person could stand this, she didn’t know. She just supposed that shinobi were tough. She also wondered how Naruto was up after taking so much damage in that fight- she easily remembered the time difference between their realms, and knew that it had only been three or four days for them, even if in their word, it had already been almost two weeks.

Twilight remembered about the Kyuubi-and how he said he had it inside himself. She figured that was what it was, and decided not to question him about it anymore. She didn’t want to talk to him in particular, anyway- not after what he’d done. There was only one person in here that she wanted to talk to, and they were rapidly approaching his cell. When she saw Sasuke, though, she barely held in a scream.

Sasuke was propped up in a bed, already awake and alert only four days after taking such a beating. He had cleaned the blood off of himself, but he still looked incredibly depressed- and he was chained up, too. She saw the pain in his breath, and knew that he was far from completely healed. She could only balk at the cruelty that the people in this world employed against a criminal.

“Hey, Sasuke-“Naruto began, but Sasuke already had a prepared response for any form of communication from Naruto. It was eloquent, to the point, and described his feelings fully.

“Fuck you,” Sasuke whispered. Despite the hoarseness of his voice- which was better than it had been, but still healing, it was still clear and audible in the room. Naruto didn’t have anything to say to that. He meanwhile returned a smile to Twilight, who grinned back at him- happy to see him, even in his current situation.

He coughed a little bit, and then glared at Naruto- who nearly shrunk under his judging gaze. He looked for a few moments at him, and then tore his eyes away, before whispering something. He rasped it in the quiet, dim light of the prison.

“Is there any chance I’m getting out of here?” He asked Naruto, and Naruto didn’t have a response to it- Sasuke could only scoff at his sad form, and muttered something that only he in the room heard- it was so quiet, no one else could hear it.

“Figures,” he said.

“Do you really need to keep him locked up like that?” Twilight said, frowning. She didn’t like it. She could see the pain in his breath- she saw in how much agony he was in, how much he hated being here, and how much he currently hated Naruto for bringing him back here again. Naruto only nodded once, and then Twilight turned a glare on him.

“Why? He can’t hurt anyone.”

“He’s an S-rank ninja. If he didn’t have those seals and chains then he could escape easily. Since he’s full of village secrets, and has committed many crimes, he needs to stay put if the Village Council and I decide that he needs an exec-“

“You can’t be serious.” Twilight said, and Naruto shook his head.

“Hopefully it won’t happen. But I am serious. Completely.”

There was silence in the prison cell as Twilight stared at Naruto, and then shook her head at the stupidity of the place. She had no idea why they wanted to kill Sasuke, but she wasn’t going to let them do it. Not without trying to get him out first. Her horn took on a soft lavender glow that covered its entire form, and then she teleported herself inside the cell.

Inside the cell were many, many Lightning Seals- many of them, C-rank or higher jutsu that were quite good at disabling someone. Sasuke’s eyes widened as she fell to the floor, and she twitched as electricity flowed through her being- though, the second she did it, Naruto was already having the jonin undo the seals on the cell- and pulling the bars open, he reached inside and grabbed her up before resealing and locking everything back up.

“We had seals just incase you tried something like that, too,” he said.

She couldn’t say anything or move her muscles because of the electricity, but Naruto could see the intense disdain for him that she held inside them. She didn’t have to be able to move for Naruto to be able to see that. He didn’t like being hated- he was already too used to it. He especially didn’t want it from someone who could’ve been his friend- should’ve been his friend, more like. He didn’t say anything, though.

Naruto stayed quiet.

It was a few minutes later that she managed to pull herself to her hooves. She had only a glare for Naruto, and glanced at Sasuke with sad sympathy that seemed to go much deeper than Naruto had thought it would. Despite all of this, though, Naruto was torn. He had to make a decision, and soon- because he knew that people wanted to know what he was going to do with Sasuke. By all purposes, he should’ve had him executed.

But he couldn’t do that.

And not because he wasn’t allowed- he could do it, if he wanted to. It was completely within the law for him to have Sasuke executed. But it wasn’t possible for him, morally. He didn’t know what he’d do to himself if he actually managed to do that.

He didn’t want to think about it.

So, that wasn’t a possibility. He had no idea how to make Sasuke pay for his crimes, though. It had to be something large, something major. Something that would really make him regret what he’d done. But, as for what it was, he had no idea, yet. He’d have to sit and think on it some more.

Naruto only looked at Sasuke for a few seconds more, and then walked away, leading Twilight Sparkle away. She glared at him, but followed him, even if she threw more than one glance over her shoulder as they left. They walked out of the building- and Twilight more than once asked Naruto where they were going, but he repeatedly told her that she would see.

They ended up at the hospital, and Twilight watched as Naruto managed to get a hold of both Sakura and Tsunade- and once they were both there, it was then that Naruto revealed his plan. He turned to Twilight.

“Take us to Equestria. We have things to do there.”

“Like what?” She said. Skeptical, which made sense, after what he’d done.

“Like fixing Ponyville,” Naruto said, pointing to himself, “and fixing Fluttershy’s wing,” he said, pointing to Tsunade and Sakura. They had all their tools that they’d need for surgery. Twilight still looked suspicious, but nodded, and a bright white light surrounded them, before a popping sound filled their ears.

The light was blinding, but when it faded, after a few moments, they were in Equestria. Tsunade and Sakura looked around in interest- they’d never really been here before. Meanwhile, Naruto looked in both shame and disappointment at the sight in front of them. Not only was the countryside still damaged, but Ponyville was still a terrible, terrible wreck.

The buildings had only just begun to be constructed- and there was only the smallest inklings of progress. There would probably be months and months of work before it could even really be considered a town again. Naruto knew what he had to do, though.

“You two, go find Fluttershy. Twilight, help them find it. I’m going to fix Ponyville,” he said. Twilight still looked skeptical, until he made a thousand Kage Bunshin. Her jaw dropped as a thousand of the same man appeared in the field. She’d seen the jutsu used before- several of him in the fight, and she remembered it well enough. But she didn’t think that it could be used to that extent. She watched as hundreds of Narutos ran forward and began to help.

She wanted to stay and watch what he did with so many of himself- and how much progress he made on the village- but she reluctantly led Tsunade and Sakura away. The hospital had been no exception to the destruction- except, they’d managed to get everypony out in time. Barely. They were using a large circle of makeshift tents as a camp and medical area while Ponyville was rebuilt, but it wasn’t very convenient.

They were just lucky there had been no one in critical condition or too dangerous to move when Sasuke had gotten into his fight with Naruto. While Fluttershy was technically healed, it was still hard for her to move around or really do much of anything with her wing as messed up as it was. She had her own tent that she was sleeping in, and Twilight was taking them to it. Tsunade and Sakura seemed calm- as if nothing could go wrong.

Twilight was the opposite.

She was shaking as they arrived at the tent, and she was both worried for her friend’s life, and excited at the prospect that they may have been able to fix her wing. Tsunade and Sakura began to pull out their tools and prepare everything as Fluttershy awoke. Sakura couldn’t help but feel sorry for the creature.

She’s so adorable. She doesn’t deserve a wound like that, Sakura thought.

“Fluttershy, these people are here to fix your wing. They’re friends of Sasuke,” Twilight said. Fluttershy nodded, and made no noise- as shy as she was, she wanted her wing back so much that she was able to crush down her bashfulness for what she was going to be doing. She lay down on the floor of the tent- and couldn’t help but gulp as she looked at the multitude of tools that the two shinobi had on them.

“Sleep,” Tsunade said, and used an anesthetic jutsu on her- pressing her glowing green palm deeply into where she figured the lungs of the creature were. Fluttershy took a few deep breaths and was out in a few minutes- sleeping on the small tent floor, looking quiet and adorable. Tsunade and Sakura nodded at each other.

Twilight got out of the tent, and walked around- until she spied Rainbow Dash snoozing in a tree not far away. She’d been working on rebuilding the town, but had taken a break- before they arrived here. It looked like she was still on it.

She shot a small bolt of magic that hit Rainbow Dash in the flank, and sent the Pegasus flying off the tree- and she somersaulted in midair and regained her flight path, and turned and landed on the ground, glaring at Twilight- like interrupting her nap was a deadly sin.

“No time for you to be angry, Dash,” Twilight said, and Rainbow looked confused but continued listening. “They’re going to fix Fluttershy’s wing. I need you to guard that tent,” she said, and pointed to it with one hoof and foreleg, “and not let anypony inside.”

Rainbow nodded.

“You can count on me, egghead,” Rainbow Dash said, and she soared for a moment or two before touching down directly in front of the tent- and glaring all around, daring anypony to try to even get inside the tent.

Twilight was satisfied with that, and decided to walk back to Ponyville- where Naruto had said he was going to rebuild, supposedly. She watched in awe at how fast his clones moved- at how strong they were, how they worked in teams- it would be possible to rebuild the entire town in a day like this. She could only feel her animosity towards them disappearing- they were correcting their mistakes, especially Naruto.

There was only one thing more he had to do.

__________________________

Naruto fell on his ass as all his clones dispelled and he looked around at his handiwork- he seemed to have been able to rebuild everything. It looked the same as it had been- well, not exactly the same. Some buildings were off, here and there- and the library was an actual building, now, not a tree- and he’d managed to placate Twilight by telling her he’d let her have some scrolls on the history of the Elemental Nations, and a few other things as well, before she left after taking them back.

He did destroy most of her books, so it was the least he could do.

The ponies seemed to only barely tolerate working with him- and even afterwards, seemed only grudgingly accepting his presence. Naruto could only shrug in response to that. He knew that it would take some time, and it was own fault- he wasn’t complaining. He was just glad that he was allowed to make up for his mistake at all.

What Naruto was most excited for though, was none of that. He wanted to see how Sakura and Tsunade were doing- they’d been working all day, and it was already deep into early evening- they’d probably been going at the surgery for a good ten or twelve hours, by now. Naruto strode casually from the rebuilt Ponyville over to the almost completey abandoned tent area- they’d all went from back there to their houses, obviously- and saw the tired-looking Rainbow Dash guarding the entrance.

She attempted a glare at him, but she yawned, and he instead snorted and laughed at her terrible attempt at intimidation. Rainbow Dash’s magenta eyes were constantly blinking as she fought to stay awake- she had already been tired when she agreed to this, and it was draining enough after telling the Cutie Mark Crusaders that they couldn’t get their cutie mark in surgery today- for the fortieth time, was it?

Tsunade walked out of the tent- nearly bumping into Rainbow Dash on the way- and wiped her brow, followed by Sakura, who did mostly the same. Dash ran inside and looked- and looked at Fluttershy’s completely reconstructed wing.

It looked almost exactly the same- only, it didn’t have feathers. Rainbow Dash figured that it was because they hadn’t grown back in yet. It looked as healthy as it ever had- albeit a few stretching, darkened patches of leathery skin on the wing- that would be covered up by feathers, anyway, so it didn’t really matter. It was yellow, and the wing looked really healthy, even the bone structure looked correct.

Rainbow Dash walked outside and hugged the leg of Tsunade.

“How?” She whispered. Tsunade only laughed, along with Sakura and Naruto.

“She’s the best medic-nin in the entire world,” Naruto said.

Afterwards, they were preparing to leave, and Twilight was getting ready to take them along- when who she’d expected touched down. She’d been too busy in Canterlot with Day Court, Twilight expected, but the night was Luna’s domain, and so now, Celestia had time off. She saw Naruto and tensed for a moment- then stopped, and sighed. She walked closer, and Naruto did the same. Naruto spoke first.

“Sorry for knocking you out,” he said. Celestia didn’t say anything for a moment- and Naruto wondered if he’d really pissed her off when he did that, and she was going to attack him again. Then she nodded, and began conversing with Twilight for a little while- and she also had received the news that the surgery on Fluttershy had been a success, and also asked Tsunade and Sakura questions about how they’d managed it- and they answered it the best they could. Soon enough, though, everyone had to leave.

Naruto had been surprised that she was so forgiving- but supposed that it was how everyone was, from this place. He certainly wasn’t going to ever take advantage of them again, or complain. They left soon, and with a white, loud pop, they were back in Konoha.

Tsunade and Sakura left, and Naruto walked Twilight along- to the library in Konaha, where she received a large amount of scrolls- where she realized that they couldn’t do that, because she couldn’t read his language. They had a good laugh over it- but eventually, it came down to it, and Twilight had to ask the question.

“Are you ever going to release him?” She asked.

“I cannot, in good conscience, kill my friend,” Naruto said, and Twilight began to grow hopeful- but, with the next sentence, he crushed it down. “But, at the same time, he’s done many horrible things to Konaha and betrayed it several times. I’m not sure I can just let him off like that- even if he’s my friend, even if says he doesn’t want revenge. It’s not as simple as you make it out to be.”

“But couldn’t you just-“

“Stop,” he said, and she did. There was a tone in his voice that suggested he shouldn’t be pushed, not right now.

“Don’t pretend to understand our ways, and I won’t do the same to yours. Even if I told you about how tough his past was, it still doesn’t excuse what he did. And there’s the political consequences. I have to be worried about this village, as well as my standing in it. Releasing Sasuke would make me look a little weak, but not to just the village- I’m more worried about how angry the other villages would get if I did that.”

Twilight fell silent at that. She didn’t pretend to understand their complex politics- and the inner workings of them. She’d forgiven Naruto, but she still didn’t know him too well- but she could tell that he cared for his people. She thought that was good, at least.

“Until I have more time to think, he’ll remain in that cell, and it’s final,” he said.

Twilight nodded. She realized that she had no say over it- and could only offer Sasuke support. She made her way over to the prison, by memory- and she watched him for a bit, as he slept, still constrained by those horrible chains in the cell- still surrounded by dank, dark stone, and still wounded pretty terribly, as well. She wondered if Sasuke was going to get out.

Until then, though, she’d offer as much support she could, and hope.

That was one thing they couldn’t stop her from doing.

Hoping.

TO BE CONTINUED