• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 1,908 Views, 31 Comments

The Beast Within - Angel

  • ...
3
 31
 1,908

Experiment

Chapter 4: Experiment

"Thanks for coming over again, Fluttershy!"

"You're welcome."

Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy were standing in the middle of Twilight's library, preparing for an experiment. Twilight was magically holding a strange book, which Fluttershy was simply meant to read out of.

"Are you ready?

"Yes..."

"Good. But remember, louder is better. Got that?"

"I think I can do that..."

"Whenever you're ready, Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy studied the text in the book carefully for a few seconds, before turning to a pile of old and worn books Twilight and Spike stacked last night.

"Remember. Loud as possible!"

"Right."

"Fus. Ro. Dah."

A little blue pulse trailed out of her mouth.

"You need to be louder."

"Right..."

Fluttershy inhaled.

"Fus. Ro. Dah!"

Somewhat louder. Enough to disturb some books, but still not actually shouting.

"Hm... I think you might need a bit of coaching, Fluttershy."

"Oh... Well, I thought it was loud..."

"Maybe Rainbow Dash can help..."

Fluttershy and Twilight exited the library, assuming she was napping on a cloud like she usually was. Of course, they were right. She was napping on a cloud, near the mayor's office.

"Hey Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called out.

"Huh.. wassat...? Who...?"

"It's us, Rainbow!"

"Oh.. hey Twilight. Hey Fluttershy. What's goin' on?"

"Fluttershy needs to learn how to be louder. Do you think you can help?"

"Of course! I've done it once before!"

"Um... Thank you, Rainbow Dash."

"No problem, Fluttershy."

Rainbow Dash followed Twilight and Fluttershy back into the library. Rainbow Dash was more then a little bit puzzled to find a giant stack of books to one side of the room, considering everyone knew she was the resident librarian, and she loved books.

"Hey Twilight, what's with all the books on the floor? I thought you loved books."

"I do, but they're old. And their meant to be like that. Fluttershy agreed to let me study her shouting powers."

Rainbow Dash's heart skipped a beat.

"Um... Twilight? Isn't that dangerous?"

Fluttershy blushed. Twilight just shook her head.

"Not if we do it right. Which is why we've stacked this big pile of old books. They're meant to be a target for Fluttershy, but she can't shout loud enough, which is why you're here."

"Great. Now can I go?"

"Yes."

"Later!" Rainbow Dash said as she flew out the door.

"Um... Twilight... I dunno, these..."

"Something wrong, Fluttershy?"

"Some of these... sound so weird..."

"Ooookaaaay.... How about we just get this over with?"

"Very well. I'll be standing over here, so I won't be in the way."

Rainbow Dash focused her attention on Fluttershy.

"Now Fluttershy. Remember what I taught you last time?"

"I do... It was control."

"Good."

"Screaming and hollering."

"Right. And most important of them all?"

"Passion."

"Good. Since you remember everything so well, I assume you also remember the Sonic Rainboom?"

Fluttershy perked up at the memory of the legendary Sonic Rainboom.

"Oh, I do! It was amazing!"

"Excellent. Now, let's hear a shout!"

Fluttershy inhaled.

"Fus. Ro. DAH!"

Not quite as loud as the one pointed at Rainbow Dash, but it was loud enough to produce some real results. The big ol' pile of books shuddered, and some even fell off. All three of the ponies gathered in the library was were proud of Fluttershy.

"That was great!" Exclaimed Twilight as she trotted over to join the other two.

"Looks like you still got it in ya!" Rainbow Dash said with a playful nudge.

Fluttershy simply squeaked. Twilight levitated the strange book over to Fluttershy.

"Now we know you can shout, how about trying reading some of these other strange words."

"If you say so..."

Twilight held the book as Fluttershy leafed through the pages, looking for another shout. Finally, she reached one.

"Raan. Mir. TAH!"

Seemingly, nothing happened. Both Twilight and Fluttershy were confused, until they heard Spike wake from his gently slumber and stroll down the stairs.

"What was that wonderful voice...?" He said to nopony in particular.

"Oh, hey Fluttershy. Didn't see ya there. Hey, did you guys hear that too?"

Twilight put the pieces together. Of course they heard the voice, but they heard different voices. Twilight whispered her findings into Fluttershy's ear.

"Um.. Spike... That was me..." She said akwardly.

Spike's face went red from embarrassment. Suddenly, they heard a voice outside the library.

"Opalescence! Where are you going!? Get back here at once!"

Suddenly, Opal burst through the door, and briskly started rubbing her fur against Fluttershy's hind leg. Rarity walked in shortly after, and what a sight she saw.

"What's going on here, girls?"

Twilight was the first to speak up.

"We were experimenting with Fluttershy's shouting powers. Or haven't you heard...?"

"No, Rainbow Dash told me everything. But, whats gotten into Opal?"

"The same thing that's gotten into Spike." Twilight motioned toward Spike who was staring dumbly at Fluttershy, who was blushing some more at all the attention being heaped upon her.

"Oh, well. I better be taking Opal back to the boutique. It's almost bath time."

Rarity lifted Opal magically, and forced her out the door, kicking and hissing.

"Well Fluttershy, I think today has been a success."

"Um... there's something in the book..."

"What is it?"

"It says, that dragons... can shout like me..."

They both turned to Spike, who had just managed to shake himself out of the shout's possession, it having nearly worn off already.

"Why are you guys lookin' at me like that?"

"Hmmm... Spike's never read a book like this before. Maybe we should talk to a different dragon?"

"Oh dear..."

Spike was perplexed. In the end, he thought he would ask later, so he plodded up the stairs and back to bed.

"Fluttershy, what do you say to meeting another dragon and learning more about your shouts?"

"I don't know Twilight..."

"I'll come with you, if it means anything."

"..."

"If dragons can read this, then maybe they can talk. All we have to do is find one that understands this book. And I have an idea as to who might know such a dragon."

Fluttershy thought about it long and hard.

"Alright..."

"Okay. Follow me Fluttershy!"

And with that, they set forth on an epic journey, completely unaware of what was in store for them both.