• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 3,308 Views, 154 Comments

The Trouble With Unicorns - CartsBeforeHorses



Prince Blueblood leads a revolt to form a unicorns-only kingdom in Canterlot.

  • ...
25
 154
 3,308

Chapter 20: Boom and Bust

CANTERLOT, JULY 2015

“King Blueblood, your majesty?”

Blueblood put down his quill and looked up from his desk to his receptionist.

“Yes?” he asked, seeming slightly irritated at the interruption.

“You have another interviewee to see about that position.”

Blueblood let out an exasperated sigh.

“You know, the minister of the new Purity Department…”

Blueblood remained silent.

“The one who is supposed to help us with magical research and development?” the receptionist added.

Finally, Blueblood said, “Send them in.”

He groaned, ready to see what would likely be another abysmal applicant. For all of the passion that he had stirred up in the crowds to whom he had given his unicorn supremacy speeches, he was surprised at the lackluster applicants that he had to fill this position.

Some of them were academic know-it-alls who believed that simply because they had taken a few management, political science, and biology classes at a university, they all of a sudden knew how to manage the racial purity of the genetic stock of an entire NATION. They mostly spouted off to Blueblood some axiomatic nonsense about synergy or team-building in a racial context, but when he asked them to let him know what they truly believed about the unicorn race, they could not get away from Biology 101 textbook definitions of evolution.

Blueblood was already aware of the ample scientific evidence for unicorn superiority based on natural selection, but he wanted to hear PASSION! Unfortunately, these ponies were all so recently attached to education and enamored with academia that they could spout nothing more than college truisms. As a former member of academia himself, Blueblood could certainly understand their pedantry, but he himself had become detached from such things years ago and understood that the real world encompassed more than a classroom.

Still others were passionate firebrands who Blueblood thought could do great works… if they had some prior management experience under their belts. Blueblood respected ideologues, as he was one himself, but he knew that along with conviction must come knowledge and wisdom, which they all seemed to lack.

With this history of disappointments behind him, the beleaguered Blueblood took the next interviewee for the position of Director of the Department of Purity into his office.

“Hello,” he said to the blue-coated applicant.

“Greetings,” said the applicant, extending a firm hoof to shake Blueblood’s, and displaying an enthusiastic smile.

“Please sit down. You must be…” Blueblood started, rummaging magically through the giant stack of potential candidates for the position, “Ah, yes. Here you are. Trixie Lulamoon.”

“Actually, my full legal name is the Great and Powerful Trixie Lulamoon,” she introduced herself.

Great and Powerful? She must be the passionate, firebrand type. But does she have the experience and knowledge to back it up?

“Nice to meet you. I’m King Blueblood. Please tell me a bit about yourself.”

Trixie continued, “I am a small business owner with experience in magic and stage performance. I also have an associates degree from Celestia’s School For Gifted Unicorns. Now, of course, called Blueblood’s School For Gifted Unicorns.”

“Ah,” said Blueblood, making a special note of this, “I was once the dean of that school. The fact that you managed to get a degree there is quite impressive. The course requirements were quite rigorous compared to other schools.”

“Yes,” said Trixie, “The Great and Powerful Trixie does not shirk away from a challenge! Even though there were a lot of silly classes, like friendship courses, I still pulled through it. No class would stop me from achieving my dreams of being the most magical unicorn in all of Equestra! I also worked while in college to support the steep and unreasonable tuition.”

Blueblood chuckled. Trixie was off to a good start, as she had already identified two of the problems that Blueblood himself had with the way that Celestia ran the school.

“So, work experience, that’s good. Rich’s Barnyard Bargains, assistant manager. Pie Rock Farm Ventures, associate rock farmer. Great and Powerful Showpony, LLC. This is your own business that you started, yes?”

She nodded.

“Well, my administration is very supportive of small businesses and the hard-working mares and stallions who own them. So, tell me a bit about this business,” Blueblood inquired.

“Certainly,” Trixie exclaimed, “Why, from 2008 to 2010, I was the greatest performer and the most powerful unicorn known to Equestria! I traveled all around, dazzling crowds of thousands with my magnificent display of unicorn magic!”

“Very interesting!” Blueblood exclaimed, making a note on Trixie’s resume, “So you have extensive experience with magic, then?”

“Oh, yes, very much so.”

“What sorts of spells do you know?”

“Levitation, summoning, illusion, dowsing, telepathy, projection, conjuration, transfiguration, all sorts of spells. All of which I used during my run as a magical performer. I even briefly used invisibility spells in my shows before I quit in 2010.”

Blueblood jotted down another note, and then said, “So, what happened in 2010 that caused you to quit your business?”

Trixie frowned for a moment, and then continued, “Well, in 2010 I had an… unexpected setback. You see, I was performing in Ponyville, a small little town not far from here. Maybe you’ve heard of it.”

“Of course. That’s the town where the Elements of Harmony are from.”

“Anyway,” Trixie continued, “I was performing there, and I gave the crowd my usual demonstration of my magical powers. I am the most powerful unicorn in Equestria, after all. But then, the Princess’s favorite student, Twilight Sparkle, along with the other Elements of Harmony, showed up and began heckling me.”

Blueblood chuckled, “Ah, and I’m sure that their anti-unicorn and anti-magic bias shone through then as it does now.”

Trixie lit up at Blueblood’s comment, “Yes, THANK YOU! Finally, somepony else who gets it!”

“Oh, more than you know,” Blueblood responded, chuckling, “But please, continue.”

“So, I tried to put on a show there like I always did, but Twilight Sparkle’s friends made a laughing stock of me by showing me up! Apparently, rather than my magic shows being seen as a celebration of the talents of the unicorn master race, the hecklers thought that my displaying magical power was ego-maniacal ‘boasting.’ So they tricked me by luring an ursa major into the town, and then Twilight Sparkle, one of the few unicorns who could match my power, defeated the bear before I could. So then, everypony from Baltimare to Las Pegasus thought that I wasn’t the most powerful unicorn in Equestria as I claimed, and quit coming to my shows.”

“And to think that Princess Celestia actually made Twilight a princess,” Blueblood scoffed, writing more notes on Trixie’s resume.

“Well, we both know why Celestia did it, now. Because Twilight Sparkle can’t appreciate true magic. Just like Celestia, she didn’t want unicorns becoming too uppity. That’s why she wrecked my career. So I had to go into the rock farming business, my legacy ruined. But, I managed to get my hooves on a priceless artifact, and I plotted my revenge.”

“Oh?” Blueblood asked.

“Yes. You see, this amulet is called the Alicorn Amulet, and when I wore it, it amplified my magic. Using my magnificent powers, in 2013 I turned Ponyville into my own personal fiefdom for an entire two days, where true magic was respected and commanded power, just as it does today in the Second Kingdom of Unicornia!”

“Ah, I think I may have heard about that little incident. That was you who did that?” Blueblood asked.

“Yes, the Great and Powerful Trixie did it!” she boasted.

“Well, I commend you for being forward thinking and establishing your own miniature revolution two years before I did. Also, taking over a whole town by yourself, even if only for two days, does speak to your magical ability. How did your rule end?”

“Alas, Celestia’s lackey interfered once more. Twilight Sparkle tricked me into taking off the amulet, and then stole it from me and hid it away somewhere where she said nopony would find it. I spent the better part of a year searching for it, but unfortunately, I can not find it nor any other amulets like it.”

Blueblood’s eyebrows raised. He had never heard of this amulet before. “Hmm. We here in Unicornia would be very interested in obtaining any amulets like that, if any more exist,” Blueblood observed.

“And believe me, if there was another, I would have found it and used it to take over Ponyville once more. I hold a personal grudge against the town that led to my career ending.”

“So, Ms. Lulamoon, what are your biggest weaknesses?” asked Blueblood.

Trixie spoke, “Though the Great and Powerful Trixie knows very few limitations to her power, I suppose that this is a common interview question and, I must answer honestly. The only spell that I haven’t quite mastered yet is… and don’t laugh… teleportation. I know that you say in your book that any unicorn can learn it, but unfortunately, that isn’t me. I’ve tried the techniques in your book and none of them work, for me at least. Normally, in my shows, I just use smoke bombs and run on and off stage so that it looks like I’m teleporting.”

Blueblood chuckled, “Well, at least you are honest. And that fault is only a minor one, especially compared to some of the other spells that you said that you know.”

“Also, and others have pointed this out besides Twilight, apparently I tend to boast,” she admitted, shrugging.

“Well, as long as you are telling the truth, Trixie, you may boast all you want. There is nothing wrong in being proud of yourself. As we have learned here in the Second Kingdom, anything other than unicorn pride leads to death and exploitation. If you are not proud of yourself and realize your superiority, somepony else will, and they’ll use it to their own advantage.

“So, now that we have the introductions out of the way, let’s get down to talking about the position. You would be the director of the Department of Magical Purity. It would be your job to ensure that the unicorn race remains pure and uncorrupted by the lesser races, and that our magic is strong. You are to accomplish this job through two objectives.

“First, you will research any and all new forms of powerful magic, such as the Alicorn Amulet or any other types of new or unique spells you see. I believe that we as a race are just beginning to rise to what could be our true potential. There are probably many undiscovered types of magic out there, some of which could fundamentally alter the nature of reality as we know it, or allow us to transcend the very fabric of matter, space, and time. Or, at the very least, give us a leg up on the Equestrians.

“I know that the Equestrians are sore about losing their prized cash cow and capital city of Canterlot. Our soldiers are good, but we need more powerful ones and more of them to ensure we are not defeated on the battlefield. Just as one of many possible examples, imagine if there is some undiscovered spell out there that could allow us to fly? Not dainty, temporary butterfly wings, but true, unrestrained flight? The pegasi would lose their airborne advantage over us.

“Second, you will ensure the purity of our race by kicking out all non-unicorns from our territory. When a unicorn breeds with an earth pony or pegasus and has a unicorn baby, that foal may have a horn, but is not as powerful of a unicorn as one born to two unicorns who were themselves born to unicorns. It’s a simple fact of genetics. By kicking out non-unicorns, we will not only ensure that they can no longer rob from us as they did with the ivory tower tax, but that they will not rape our mares and engage in miscegenation. Now, Ms. Lulamoon, are you confident in your ability to enforce and carry out these objectives?”

“Absolutely!” she exclaimed.

“Excellent,” King Blueblood concluded, “Thank you for your time, Ms. Lulamoon. I will notify you by mail if you are to be selected for this position. Thank you for your time.”

They stood up, shook hooves, and Trixie walked out the door. Blueblood grinned from ear to ear. The notification was just a formality. He already knew exactly who he was going to select for this position.

CANTERLOT, JANUARY 2016

“Just a friendly reminder. All non-unicorns are to leave Canterlot by Midnight of the New Year, December 31st, 2019. This is a whole four years, so there are no excuses for noncompliance. You are of course encouraged to leave as soon as you possibly can; this extra time is a courtesy to enable you to get your affairs in order. Moving vans are provided for a small user fee at the depot on 17th Street. This has been your Department of Public Information briefing. I am Minister Fancy Pants, and have a wonderful day!”

The announcement speakers quieted as the magically-projected images of Fancy Pants’ face disappeared from off of the walls. The ponies in the street who had stopped to watch and listen continued about their business.

Fancy Pants left the announcement booth in the third floor of the newly-completed capital building, and sighed as he walked over to the conference room for the daily briefing.

I sure hope that none of them resist. I’d hate for there to be any violence, he thought. He wasn’t sure how he felt about the forced relocation. On the one hoof, he felt that the unicorns had every right to their own city as the pegasi had to Cloudsdale. But, he knew that he wouldn’t personally like to have to relocate if the tables were turned.

At least it only has to be done once, he thought, It will all be over in four years, and then we’ll have a unicorn only kingdom and it will all be fine from then on.

Or so he hoped.

He used his magic to open the doors to the conference room, and then he walked in.

“Glad you could join us, Minister Fancy Pants. Take a seat,” Blueblood beckoned from the head of the table. Fancy Pants obliged, sitting down.

“So, status report of the four Departments. Let’s start with the Department of Economic Development. Ministers Flim and Flam, how is the economy faring these days?”

“Well enough, though there are causes for concern,” said Flam, “Removing the ivory tower tax has allowed the economy to recover to where it once was. Manufacturing is doing well. We are still selling the surplus food that we have grown for quite a profit, and our farm equipment sales have been going strong, and increasing since we have obtained all of that arable land in the peace treaty. Though the drought and food shortage is expected to end this year in Equestria, we can still make good money from food. The only problem is that, come growing season, I don’t believe we’ll have enough ponies who want to farm in order to farm all of the land we have available. We could utilize earth ponies to do this, perhaps as guest workers, but I understand that your racial objectives prohibit this…”

“Yes,” said Blueblood, “We must be completely independent of Equestria. Only unicorns may farm for us. No guest workers.”

“And the Department of Purity has been working on ways to replicate farming magic without earth pony magic,” said Trixie, “But no luck so far.”

“That is a bit of a problem,” said Flim, “As my brother pointed out, we have a severe labor shortage. I’m sure a lot of unicorns want to farm and make money, but the problem is that we have yet to find a suitable replacement for the earth ponies’ inherent magic with the land. Only unicorns with high amounts of earth pony blood, such as unicorns with one or more earth pony parents, can successfully farm and grow crops. Even though our machines allow for one pony to do the work of hundreds, and we could feasibly feed the entire kingdom and have food left over to sell to Equestria for a profit with a few thousand unicorn farmers, there aren’t enough ponies out there who are both willing and able to make that plan work.”

“Again,” Flam added, “This is assuming that you still want to kick out all the earth ponies and pegasi at all. The economy doesn’t care whether or not we are the master race. Those 30% of ponies in our kingdom who are non-unicorns are also 30% of the business owners and workers. Kick them out, and our economy shrinks by 30% as well. Our economy will take quite a hit over the next few years, and it could take a decade to get back to where we were.”

“That’s a price to be paid,” said Blueblood, “But thank you for your concern. Speaking of kicking out the non-unicorns, Minister Fancy Pants, how is that public information campaign going along?”

“Quite well, your majesty. The Department of Information has been busy at work installing magical projectors and speakers all across the city, which will enable us to communicate this and other messages to ponies in the city with ease. I doubt there is a single pony out there right now who doesn’t know that the deadline for the non-unicorns to leave is in four years.”

“And how is education?”

“That is doing great. The first entire school year with magical education in all public schools is underway as we speak. All of the young unicorns are quite chipper and eager to learn magic! It’s jolly good fun for them.”

“And the textbook revisions?”

“Will be fully phased in next year. All history textbooks will portray Celestia as the wicked ruler that she was, and you as the savior to our race.”

“Excellent. Speaking of our magic and our race…Minister Trixie? How goes the Department of Purity?” Blueblood asked.

“We’ve been hard at work on a flight spell,” said Trixie, “One that goes beyond flimsy and slow butterfly wings, which are temporary and difficult to create. We have some interesting results, but nothing is quite showing promise. The same thing with farming spells, which I mentioned earlier.”

“Tell me you have some good news? What about Project Orbit? Project Pilot?”

“Project Orbit is actually coming along to be a grand success,” said Trixie, “We just need to recruit a few more skilled telekinetics and we should be good to go. It might take a year or two, but I think it will be a great success. As for Project Pilot, the same can be said.”

“Good. Fancy Pants, can you help her recruit for her program?”

“But of course,” Fancy Pants said, grinning.

“And what of the enforcement of the relocation, Trixie?” Blueblood asked.

“We’re coordinating that with the Department of Information,” Trixie said, “The Department of Purity’s enforcement won’t begin until late 2019 and early 2020, when we identify any foolish earth pony or pegasi stragglers who dare to defy our orders to leave.”

“Alright, and last but not least, we have the Department of Protection. General, what is the status of our armed forces?”

The grey unicorn General (whom Blueblood promoted from Sergeant Major) sat up in his chair. He answered, “Well, we’ve gotten a slight boost in enlistment from the Department of Information’s recruitment campaign. Our army is now 10,000 strong. Which, as I’m sure you know, we need to grow. We risk being attacked by the much larger Equestrian force, which numbers 70,000. We may be unicorns and have magic, but not even magic can overcome a 7:1 ratio. I’d recommend a draft, but even with that, we’d only have 45,000.

“I’d feel a bit better once Project Orbit is completed, since that means that those numbers matter a lot less, but I still think we should grow our army. That, or we should get some allies to help us.”

“Well, I’ve been conversing with the zebra empress,” said Blueblood, “And she may be willing to forge an alliance. As the zebras are the only other race on this earth besides unicorns and changelings who can use magic, she and I both believe it’s in our interests as fellow supreme magical races of the world to cooperate with each other. However, we would need to assist her in her war against the griffons. Zebrafrica is badly losing at the moment. As in our own continent, those on the Eastern Continent seem more than happy to bleed dry any magical beings for their own gain, and cowardly attack from the air, out of reach.”

“That’s the problem. We can’t fight the griffons because we lack air power. The pegasi demonstrated last year that they can shatter our force fields and take out our forces with air superiority. We need to begin developing an air force of our own. Whether it’s through magic or machinery, or some mix of both, I don’t care,” said the General.

“There’s a huge airplane manufacturing plant right here in Canterlot. We could leverage that, and I'll talk to Jet Set and see if he can start fulfilling our orders,” said Flam.

“Agreed. Planes might not be as maneuverable as pegasi, but at least it gets our hooves off the ground. And if Project Pilot is a success, then we won’t have to risk as many lives,” the General responded.

“It will be,” Trixie reassured, “And Project Pilot is all well and good, but don’t give up hope on a flight spell just yet. In a few years, I’ll bet we’ll figure out how to soar through the air just like the pegasi and griffons!”

“We’ll see,” the General chuckled, “Unicorns have been trying and failing to fly for eons, and I don’t see that happening anytime soon, not even with you helping us.”

Trixie glared at him menacingly. He grinned.

“So, that concludes our meeting. Thank you all for coming, and I will see you all again in a month,” said Blueblood as they all stood up.

CANTERLOT: DECEMBER 31st, 2019

“Attention, inferiors. This is your last chance to leave the city peacefully. In two hours, the clock will strike midnight, and all defiant earth ponies and pegasi who remain in Canterlot or anywhere within the borders of Canterlot will be forcibly evicted. This has been a Department of Information briefing. I am Minister Fancy Pants, and Happy New Year!”

The magically projected screens cut off, and Fancy Pants’ face disappeared from the walls of the city. He left the sound booth, cringing. Despite his better judgment, King Blueblood ordered that he use the word “inferiors” to refer to any being who was not a unicorn or a zebra. Fancy Pants, ever a gentleman, would normally never be caught dead using such a slur, but Blueblood told him that the language that ponies use is important.

He looked up at the giant, steel-grey capitol building. The hands of the illuminated grandfather clock, the only piece of adorning atop on the otherwise bland, boxy 30-story monstrosity, read 10:02.

I pray that they only do what they are told, and Trixie doesn’t kill any of them, he thought.

*****

“Alright, stallions, you have your orders. The moment that clock strikes twelve, we are to use the cover of the fireworks to complete our mission. Fan out into the selected earth pony houses, and use the time to strike. We only need to set an example, and the rest will file compliantly out of the city like the herd animals they are. Any questions?” Trixie asked the task force she had assembled.

Nopony in the group of a dozen ponies raised their hoof.

“Good.”

*****

“My, my,” observed Hoity Toity from atop the balcony on the second floor of his condominium, “They’re quite adamant that earth ponies like me leave. But what do I have apart from my business here in Canterlot?”

“Nothing, sir,” said his butler, topping off Hoity Toity’s drink.

“Right. I’d rather be dead than poor. They will have to forcibly remove me if they want me
gone. That’s why I have bodyguards. How are they, by the way?”

“Still stationed in the foyer, sir.”

“Good. Now, we have only to wait.”

Hoity Toity turned to look up at the grandfather clock at the top of the capitol building as it struck twelve.

The sky lit up as hundreds of fireworks exploded in the air, sending off a series of booms.

“Happy new year, sir,” said the butler.

“You as well. Hmm, well, it’s the new year, and I’m still here,” observed Hoity Toity, smiling. Suddenly, however, he heard screaming and a boom below him. Briefly, he thought that it might have been a misfired firework, but then he heard another boom followed by more screaming.

Hoity Toity exclaimed, “My security team! They’ve been shot! Grab my hunting rifle and my revolver!”

The butler obliged, running into Hoity Toity’s room and opening his cabinet, retrieving the
old wooden rifle and barricading himself behind the door. He tossed Hoity Toity the antique revolver, and he grabbed it in his mouth, loading bullets into the chamber as quick as he could. He only hoped that the old gun would still fire.

Hoity Toity closed the door to the balcony and hid behind a potted fern, waiting for the worst.

He heard another boom, but this one came from within his house as the door to the bedroom burst off its hinges. Hoity Toity leaned over the fern, ready to take shots at the intruders, but did not see any. All he saw was his butler.

Suddenly, there was a bang, and blood appeared on the butler’s chest as he fell to the floor. Hoity Toity did not see the pony, but he heard hoofsteps.

Of course… they’re invisible!

He took the gun in his mouth, leaned over, and fired three shots blindly in succession through the door. He heard screaming as a unicorn suddenly appeared as if out of thin air, clutching his chest and falling to the floor. Hoity Toity fired another shot, finishing the pony off.

Suddenly, Hoity Toity felt a gun against his back.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie orders you to put the gun down!” shouted a mare’s voice. He did as he was told, and the invisible unicorn revealed herself.

“How DARE you kill one of our elite unicorns, earth pony! Do you know how many years of training it take to learn an invisibility spell?”

“Not as many as it took me to build up my business in Canterlot, and now you want to take it all away from me with no compensation,” Hoity Toity scoffed.

“That is our decision to make! Now you will pay for your defiance.”

Trixie levitated the gun to Hoity Toity’s forehead, and shot him. The bang mixed with the booms of more fireworks and gunfire off in the distance. If a pony was in Canterlot who was not the target of an assassination, he would not know any better.

The next day, earth ponies and pegasi walked into the streets to see dead bodies, broken glass, and hollowed out, charred earth pony and pegasi shops. Most of them got the message, and left within the week.

*****

CANTERLOT, JULY 2020

The ministers of the four departments, as well as Blueblood himself, were in the meeting room for another briefing.

“We must take action, your majesty. Our economy is in the worst state that it has been in for years,” Flam urged, “Just as Flim and I predicted, kicking out the earth ponies and pegasi led to a third of our gross domestic product simply vanishing.”

Flim said, “Small businesses, farms, factories… all gone. Or they are still there, but with nopony to work them. As my brother noted, the jobs and laborers to fill them have disappeared. Ponies are incredibly dissatisfied with the state of the economy. If the economy continues like this for much longer, we could have riots on our hooves.”

“I agree,” said Fancy Pants, “As the minister of the Department of Information, there’s a lot that I can do a lot to drum up support for you, King Blueblood… provided that everything is all well and dandy. But the economy is hurting your approval ratings, and by proxy, your chances at reelection. Need I remind you that you are up for a vote in a few months? Your poll numbers are still above 50%, but they are dropping fast. Also, our food production numbers are not looking very good. Given that we kicked out the earth ponies, and only are relying on unicorn farmers, we expect a shortfall in the next three to five years, and will have to rely on trade with Equestria to supply a shortfall.”

Trixie added, “Well, unlike the other ministers, I have nothing but good news to report. There are now zero inferior ponies living within our borders! We have just removed the last of them that we found, hiding in some shacks in the Flatlands. Also, Project Pilot and Project Orbit are ready to commence whenever you give the order.”

The General responded, “That’s good news. We also have good news on the military front. Our army is now 30,000 ponies strong. That’s far more than I could ever have hoped for. We got a surprising number of new recruits from the Flatlands. Under Project Pilot, we have successfully added 2,000 fighter planes and 1,000 bombers to our air force to contend against the pegasi, with more on the way. Given this as well as Project Orbit, Equestria will have a tough challenge on their hooves if they ever wanted Canterlot or the Flatlands back.”

“Hmm…” Blueblood mused, “So I am doing well on the magical and the military front, but not well on the economic and public relations front. Perhaps I should leverage my strengths. After all, with Project Pilot complete, we can now begin our alliance with the zebras--”

“Your highness, you aren’t suggesting starting a… war with Equestria, are you?” Fancy Pants asked, jaw agape.

“Why not? You know that wartime leaders are usually always popular. Also, I can use it as an excuse to seize wartime powers and clear protesters off the street in the name of public safety, and then those poll numbers start to matter a lot less,” Blueblood observed.

“True,” Fancy Pants admitted, “But do we really want to put all those lives at risk?”

“We have plenty of soldiers,” said the General.

“Don’t forget about Project Orbit. That will enable us to win any war!” said Trixie.

“Conventional methods are still important, but yes, that’s a huge advantage,” the General responded.

“Well, wars are usually good for the economy…” said Flam.

“The winner’s economy,” Flim finished his brother’s thought, “As long as you are sure that we can win. If we can plunder resources from captured territory, or land, or ponies to work and help grow our economy, it might prove beneficial. But if we don’t win...”

“We’re unicorns, Flim; of course we’ll win!” answered Trixie, "And I say that we start by invading Ponyville! That arrogant town shall yet learn to respect true magic!"

"This isn't based off of your grudge against them for ruining your performing career, is it?" Fancy Pants asked.

"Whether or not that's why she said it, it actually does make good military sense to start with Ponyville," the General answered before Trixie could, "The town is only a few hundred kilometers from our borders anyway, and since it's a smaller town, has limited defenses. We could capture the town and hold it before Equestria has time to send in reinforcements. Also, Ponyville is located right in the heart of Equestria. Capturing it would be a symbolic victory as well as a strategic one."

"Also, need I remind you of all of the unicorns living there who were born to earth ponies? They could supply us with much needed farm labor," said Trixie.

Everypony in the room looked at King Blueblood, who sat at his chair, deep in thought. Finally, he spoke.

“Well, I’ve made my decision. We shall strike Equestria in the next month!”

*****

With this decision, King Blueblood would shatter the fragile peace treaty with Equestria and launch Equestria into years of chaos. The civil war would engulf the entire continent and threaten everypony within with slavery and death. The trouble with unicorns would no longer be confined to Canterlot and the Second Kingdom of Unicornia, and Blueblood’s lust for power would shroud Equestria itself in darkness and flames. That, however, is another story entirely.

Author's Note:

That's right. I ended the story on a cliffhanger.

Don't worry, there is a sequel which can be read here. I also provide a link in the next chapter, along with my rationale behind making a sequel.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/129154/sufficient-unto-the-day