• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 1,263 Views, 9 Comments

To be Human - Raptor



When a man is stripped of his memory and his humanity, it only causes him to seek out what it means to be human.

  • ...
10
 9
 1,263

Prologue

The Man's name was John Clarke.

"How heartless. Do you see how heartless he is?"
"..."
"See? Just look at him. You sicken me."
"..."
"What's the matter? Out of sick comments to say? Out of ridiculous bullshit to spout?!"
"..."
"TALK TO ME, DAMMIT!"
"..."
"...Look at him. He doesn't even deny any of it."
"..."
"It's because it's all true, isn't it?"
"..."
"Right down to the sick details."
"...nn..."
"You're a terrible excuse for a man."
"..."
"No... You are a terrible person."
"..."
"You aren't human."



"...I'm more human than you think..."
"-I'm sorry, what was that?!"
"I-"
"Are you trying to DEFEND yourself?!"
"..."
"That's-"
"-You don't know much about humans, do you?"
"NO, asshole, YOU don't! Humans aren't all violent and brutish like all those bullshit philosophers say. Deep down, MANY people are good inside."
"..."
"...I think YOU need to think about what it means to be human."


The Man wished he wasn't human. That way he wouldn't ever have to know what it meant to be one. One day, his wish was granted. But you should always be careful what you wish for.

The Man opened his eyes- only to immediately shut them closed. He opened them again, slowly and painfully, for all he could see was bright white. Not only that, but there was rushing wind in his eyes. His stomach felt off, and he cringed. His limbs felt numb. It was as if every aspect of the situation wanted him to close his eyes again and curl up. But the Man's curiosity was getting the better of him. He had to know what was going on. His eyes darted in different directions. All he could see was white. The wind was fast and loud. He felt a bit cold, and his body was numb. But he knew he wasn't lying in the middle of a blizzard- no, it wasn't that cold. He tried thinking of other scenarios that might be possible. The first one that came to mind was that he was dreaming. However, he instantly ruled that out. If he was dreaming, the idea of him dreaming would've never popped into his mind, otherwise he would've woken up.

So where the Hell was he...? He blinked a few times- It was difficult to keep his eyes open against the wind. Why was it so windy? Where could he possibly be that was so windy? He strained his eyes. The whiteness started to fade, giving way ever so slowly to a pale blue. He tried moving his arms, but couldn't feel them. His entire body felt... off. Especially his limbs. Suddenly he realized that he had to breathe. he tried inhaling, but found it difficult due to the heavy wind. He tried shifting his body, but couldn't feel anything.

Eventually, he gave up on his body and decided to focus on seeing. He looked around, focusing his eyes and letting them adjust to the brightness, slowly causing the white to melt away. He turned his head to the left to look around him, and immediately two things struck him. Thye first being the blinding bright light that had come into his field of view, causing him to shut his eyes again, and the second being the change in wind. It had dramatically decreased its speed against his left ear when he turned, and increased in the right. The wind was coming from one specific direction.

With his eyes closed, the Man guessed that this bright light was the Sun. What had confused him a second later, was that he didn't remember seeing the horizon at any point. He turned his head back to the right and opened his eyes, allowing them to adjust once again. He could see pale blue around him...

Sky blue.

Suddenly he realized that he was falling.

From very high up.