• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 721 Views, 22 Comments

Alluvion - journcy



The Mane Six must weather the flood. Sequel to Collision Course, and the next step of the Enervation Sequence.

  • ...
0
 22
 721

I - Unsure; Hunt; Acres

+ + +

Pitter Patter Pitter Patter

+ + +

Two days after the dream…

+ + +

Rain poured from the sky. It was the same rain that had started the morning after the dream she had had, and Twilight Sparkle was officially worried. It wasn’t a scheduled storm, that was for sure. To make matters even more alarming, despite numerous attempts by Pegasi all over Equestria, the clouds remained. For it was all over Equestria. As far as Princess Celestia could tell—Twilight had been in communication with her regarding the issue—there wasn’t an inch of Equestrian land not presently being rained or snowed on, not even in the dry deserts to the south.

And so Twilight sat in her library, with Spike bustling around downstairs doing his chores and humming to himself, full of worry.

All she could think about was the way the dream had ended.

A violent storm. Discord’s cackling laughter. Her friends…

But of course, that was just a dream. Her friends were fine, and Discord had been resealed after his brief takeover of Ponyville.

Only the storm remained, the storm she seemed unable to shake, both physically and mentally.

Twilight sighed. She was starting to think she should tell her friends about the dream she had had. When she had awoken again the morning after the dream, she had become unsettled enough to feel the need to go around and see all her friends, just to make sure they were okay after all. Which they were, of course. However, she neglected to say anything regarding why she was going around checking up on all of them, and they all found it rather odd of her. She didn’t want them to worry about her; her and her strange dream and now this attitude of sadness, like she was missing important and that dratted rain that just would not let up

Twilight got up from where she had been sitting on her bed. She decided she was going to go downstairs and research weather spells. The work would be nice; it might take her mind off of her troubles, and maybe she would find something to help Equestria be rid of this peculiar storm.

+ + +

Predictably, she had found nothing of use. While Twilight had learned a good bit about the way weather worked and what unicorns could do about it (nothing much; pegasi were the weather ponies for a reason, it seemed), she had found nothing about storms that wouldn’t go away or ways to fix them. Nothing like this had ever happened in Equestrian history, as far as she could tell. Which figured, seeing as Princess Celestia surely would have mentioned it if it had.

Though a few hours had passed since she had begun her research, the day was still young. Maybe one of her friends would be up to something interesting.

I could try talking to Rainbow Dash again, Twilight thought. Though she had done so in previous days, perhaps her friend had figured something out, with her knowledge of weather. Twilight resolved to find her, grabbed her umbrella hat Pinkie Pie had given her so long ago (she found it was easier to use than a real umbrella) and set out into the rain.

+ + +

“Nope, sorry Twilight, haven’t seen her!” Pinkie Pie squeaked. “I like your hat, though!”

Twilight hung her head. After wandering around Ponyville getting soaking wet for entirely too long trying to find Dash, she had decided to ask her other, less mobile friends regarding the pegasus’s whereabouts. She had been near Sugarcube Corner at the time, so, Pinkie it was. Apparently the pink pony would be of no use to her either.

“Thanks, Pinkie. I guess I’ll ask somepony else. Maybe Rarity will know…” Twilight knew that the odds that Rarity of all ponies would know where Rainbow Dash was were low, but she really just wanted an excuse to not have to walk all the way out to Sweet Apple Acres or Fluttershy’s cottage. Turning regretfully to leave the warm bakery, she was accosted by Pinkie.

“Wait! I’ll come with you!” Pinkie said.

“Are you sure? It’s cold… And wet… And anyway, don’t you have baking to do?” Twilight returned.

“Nah, not really. Not many ponies have been coming in lately, so the Cakes have been able to handle everything themselves. And anyway, I always have time to spend helping a friend!” Pinkie cried.

“If you’re sure, Pinkie Pie.” Twilight said.

“I sure am!”

And so the two friends walked out of the sweet-smelling shop, together.

+ + +

“We’re never going to find her!” Twilight said, exasperated. The duo had gone from Sugarcube Corner to Carousel Boutique as planned, but Rarity, as expected, had known nothing. She had given them both new raincoats that she had just designed, which made walking around in the storm less torturous, but it still wasn’t a pleasant experience.

They had tried Fluttershy next, but oddly enough upon arriving at her cottage they had found the door locked tight and the windows dark. Neither pony could figure where the yellow pegasus might’ve gone off to, but they knew they wouldn’t be finding anything there.

Finally, they had made the trek out to Sweet Apple Acres. The road was muddy and the going was rough, as it was then the storm had decided to pick up, blowing rain in their faces despite the umbrella hats (Pinkie had pulled hers out of somewhere upon exiting Sugarcube Corner) and beginning to thunder loudly every few minutes, lightning lighting up the sky.

Twilight and Pinkie Pie had just finished talking to Applejack, who knew just about as much about Dash’s whereabouts as Rarity did. However, instead of raincoats, the farmer had offered them both hot apple pie. Stepping back into the room from the kitchen, Applejack grinned at the sopping wet pair.

“Come an’ get it!”

+ + +

“So why’re ya tryin’ so hard to find Dash anyway, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

Twilight merely groaned in response. Applejack had been baking all afternoon as a substitute for working on the farm, and there had been plenty of pie to go around. Possibly too much. She mustered her strength, however, and managed an intelligible reply.

“Well… I’m not sure, really. I’m just getting so tired of being cooped up in the library, not being able to do anything about the weather! I’ve tried doing research, and I’ve been writing letters to the Princess, and I even played a few games of Battle Clouds with Spike, but I… For once in my life, I’m bored, Applejack!” Twilight exclaimed.

Applejack opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off by Pinkie, who managed excessive amounts of pie rather better than Twilight did.

“You shoulda come over sooner! We could’ve had all kinds of fun, Twilight! We could’ve played games, and had dance contests, and I could’ve taught you all about how to throw parties! It would’ve been great!”

“I… Thanks, I guess, Pinkie.” Twilight said, her face twisting in ever-so-slight confusion. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Anyway, sugarcube,” Applejack said once she could get a word in edgewise, “It sounds like you got a plain case of log cabin syndrome! Though I must admit, hearing you say you’re bored in that library of yours is a mighty odd thing to consider. Don’t you have any projects to be workin’ on like usual?”

“Not really, no,” Twilight said. “I haven’t been up to much of anything for the past few days, I’ve had…too much on my mind.”

“Like what?” Applejack asked.

Do I tell her? Twilight wondered. Would it be worth it to spill to her friends about the dream she had had, the dream she couldn’t let go?

“I… Oh, you know, just…”

“Twilight…” Applejack said, staring the unicorn in question down with her green gaze.

“Oh..! Oh, all right. Do you remember a few days ago, the day the storm started, I came around to see how you were doing?”

“Yep!” Pinkie Pie broke in again. “I thought it was really nice of you! Though I don’t know what could possibly be wrong with me!”

“Yeah, I do,” Applejack responded. “I thought it was kinda odd of you, though I suppose Pinkie’s right in sayin’ it was a neighborly thing to do.”

“Well… You see, that night, I had a dream…”