• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 491 Views, 10 Comments

The northern incident - Trigger_Finger



Shining Armor and his squad get in over their heads while on guard

  • ...
2
 10
 491

Chapter 5: Not good, not good at all

They all sat there and looked at the two bodies now on body stretchers. Johner placed Chrysalis’ body on the helicopter floor just as Lilac started the cargo helicopter. They hadn’t been able to determine what had happened, due to Hoof’s death, so they simply decided to send the bodies to the Crystal Empire for an autopsy.

Sunburst lept into the co-pilot seat and they began to take off. Johner watched them take off then looked to Shining Armor. “What the buck do you think got into her anyway?” he asked and Shining shrugged.

“Not sure. She did try to take over Equestria but was never bloodthirsty. Maybe it was personal” he said and Firefly raised an eyebrow.

“Personal? Did you see her? I blasted her with a flamethrower and Bear stabbed her in the heart yet she still galloped around like nothing was wrong!” Firefly exclaimed. Shining let out a defeated sigh as they all began to trot back toward the base.

“I just don’t know what to tell you Fire… I just don’t know” he replied.

In the helicopter Lilac flew the helicopter with precision. “Alright… next stop Crystal Empire” he said and began to tilt the helicopter forwards for better flight control. There was a bang and a clang in the back cargo area.

Lilac looked to Sunburst with an irritated look. “Can you go tie down their bodies better? I don’t think Shining would approve if he found out that their bodies fell out of the helicopter or something” Lilac said and Sunburst nodded then proceeded to the back of the helicopter.

Sunburst entered the cargo area but no longer saw the bodies. “Uhm Lilac… where’d Johner put the bodies?” he asked.

“In the back there… can’t you see them?”

“No… there’s nothing back…” Sunburst trailed off as he noticed a trail of blood on the floor. He knelt down to get a better look at it. He simply shrugged as he stood back up but then jumped back as he was startled by Doc Hoof.

“Gah!... ugh Doc!” Sunburst said with heavy irritation in his voice then thought about what was happening. “Hey wait Doc… you’re dead… so how are you” Sunburst began but was cut off as Doc Hoof pounced forwards and bit at Sunburst’s throat.

Lilac was holding the helicopter steady so that Sunburst didn’t fall or something but it sounded like he had fallen over, multiple times. “Come on Sunburst, hurry up already” Lilac called out then the cargo bay door slid open.

Lilac turned around to scold his friend. “Well what the buck took yo…” Lilac trailed off as he saw Doc Hoof’s bloody face split open and a grotesque tentacle-like form protruded from the split.

Lilac quickly reached for his pistol, which was holstered at his waist, but was too late. The creature lunged forwards and the windshield of the helicopter was sprayed red with Lilac’s blood.

Johner went to close the door but then noticed the helicopter had started to twist and spin. “SHINING!” Johner yelled out and Shining immediately rushed to his side. Shining gasped as he quickly tried to grasp the crashing helicopter in a levitation spell but he was just too late to do anything.

“GET DOWN!” Johner yelled as he pulled Shining’s body back and tackled him to the floor.

Just as the helicopter was about to crash a lone figure jumped out.

The helicopter collided with the APC vehicle and erupted as its fuselage ruptured. The explosion nearly rocked the entire base and caught every-pony’s attention.

Fire from the explosion illuminated the night and both Johner and Shining both looked in horror at the crash. Johner groaned, “Oh we are so bucked” he cursed.

Golden Shield grabbed a fire extinguisher along with Pippy and they both proceeded to put out the flames.

Johner helped Shining to his hooves and they both shook their heads from the travesty of the crash. Shining looked to Reese, “Call the empire… we’re getting out of here” Shining ordered Reese who quickly wheeled himself away.

The fire was soon put out, thanks mostly to the snow and extreme conditions, and the team gathered in the communication room where Reese was dialing in for the Crystal Empire.

“Empire-1, Empire-1, this is Goldbird-6, do you read” Reese said into the radio set. He repeated himself several times then listened closely. He looked to every-pony else and motioned for them to be quiet.

“Empire-1, Empire-1, this is Goldbird-6, do you read me, over?” Reese asked again then suddenly there was some static. Just as Reese figured it was interference, a terrifyingly nightmarish groan sounded from the radio set. Reese took his face away from the headset and looked at it curiously.

The sounds coming from the other side of the line seemed like it was from a ghastly horror movie or something. “Deaaaath… Deeaaaath is waiting” the voice groaned, prolonging some of the words.

Suddenly the line simply went dead. Johner sighed. “Well okay, that’s gonna buck up my sleep” he muttered and looked to Shining. “I don’t give a rat’s behind what you say, I’m opening the armoury doors and getting myself a shotgun” he said and trotted off.

Shining hated guns, mostly due to their deathly nature, but right now he was on the same page as Johner. Every-pony followed Johner who busted open the armoury doors.

Most of the high-grade weapons, like the M4A1s or the M16A4s were in the APC and were destroyed in the crash, but the armoury still housed a pretty impressive armament.

Johner handed out weapons for the others. Bear holstered a S&W Model 29 but holstered it, he decided to stick with his blades. Firefly grabbed an old M2 flamethrower, Golden Shield equipped himself with an M1 Garand, Star Dust had an MP5A3 while Pippy received a P90 sub-machinegun.

They all equipped battle saddles as Johner went to hand a G36C to Reese but he refused it. Johner shook his head, “Come on Reesy, ain’t no time to play ‘I don’t believe in violence’” Johner said but Reese simply laughed.

Shining Armor grabbed the assault rifle and loaded into his battle saddle. Reese pulled off a barrel from his wheelchair and soon began to assemble a weapon. In the end it turned out to be an M79 40mm grenade launcher.

He pulled out a grenade belt and wrapped it around his chest as he loaded a grenade round into the barrel with a shoomp. “I like to keep my big gun handy… for freaky creatures like that Chrysalis thing” Reese chuckled and Johner grabbed an SPAS 12 from the armoury cabinet. He loaded eight rounds into the tubular magazine then four shells into the spare folding stock shell holders.

“I like to keep this handy… for close encounters” Johner said as he slung the shotgun around his back then locked up the cabinet so nothing could take any weapons. “Alright… I’m hitting the sack. I’ll see you all in the morning then we can sort this mess out” Johner said and they all began to trot away.

Firefly trotted down the hallway to his room and kept admiring his new toy. “Oh baby… oh baby you and me gonna have some fun” Firefly said and opened the door to his room.

As he looked up from gazing upon his magnificent weapon he was disgusted to see that Star Dust and Golden Shield had taken his bed again. “Oh come on! Can’t you do that in your own room… and for Celestia’s sake Golden, would you wrap it before you tap it? You’re gonna get her pregnant!” Firefly scolded then quickly slammed the door behind him and began to storm towards Golden’s room.

‘Two can play at this game’ he thought to himself as he rounded a corner. He gasped suddenly as he saw Lilac standing in front of him. “Christ!... jeeze Lilac, don’t sneak up on a stallion like that… you’re gonna give me a heart att… hey wait a minute” Firefly muttered as he remembered that Lilac was in the helicopter crash. He slowly reached his hoof forward and ignited the torch’s pilot flame.