• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 5,307 Views, 152 Comments

Unity at Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book III. With the lord of chaos released from stone and being the only none-Element, Dusk is left behind by the others. But he will soon discover that there is much more to him than he could have ever known...

  • ...
9
 152
 5,307

Back Together

Dusk had been sitting and thinking in the library for a good few minutes, trying to centre around something that would support his view that there was something about him that would help to bring down Discord. But no matter how much he hoped for inspiration to strike him somehow, he couldn't think of anything that sounded credible or believable enough that he was willing to invest in it fully or go looking for it.

He'd ruled out that he was an Element of Harmony, for there had only ever been six and while there had been some theories hinting to a possible seventh, they were little more than wild speculation. As much as he would like it, that didn't seem a likely possibility. He hadn't done much training with his own unique magic, maybe there was something about it that would help him to defeat the spirit of chaos. But he couldn't think exactly what that would be and even then unlocking it would take time, which he didn't have.

At one point, he found himself examining the stones that hung around his neck. He'd never really thought much of them, but now… he had found them and always decided to keep them, like some strange impulse he couldn't ignore, like they were special somehow. They'd served as a way to help him defeat his darker self and the latest he'd found had been right back at the beginning of the use of the Elements.

Being imaginative, Dusk was a strong believer in faith, belief in the impossible when common sense said otherwise. He had kept these stones and that time travel magic had appeared and sent him to a time when he could find yet another stone just like the others. That couldn't just be a coincidence, he thought. These had to be important somehow, perhaps holding some kind of ancient magic that could only be used when brought together…

Luna would know, he thought to himself, still feeling that guilt from when Blackhole had beaten her…

Wait, that was it! He could send a letter to Luna, provided she wasn't too badly hurt and ask her what these stones meant! She had been the one who had sent him to the Castle, who had fought Blackhole to save him and had set him on the way to overcoming his dark side. Like Discord, she knew something about him and he was going to find out what, for he was sure it would hold the key to defeating Discord.

"Come on, my pet!" he prompted Ophelia, who had been sleeping nearby. "We need to send a letter. Spike! Spike, where are you little brother?"

"Dusk? Dusk, is that you?!" he heard a disbelieving voice reply, but he couldn't tell where from.

"It is! Where are you?"

"I'm up-" He was cut off by a loud belch and a groan, forcing Dusk to search manually.

Ophelia flying behind him, he hurried around the library, calling for Spike, eventually running upstairs and finding him on the floor, looking exhausted, but with a huge grin at the sight of him, one which Dusk couldn't help but return.

"Spike!" Unable to contain himself, he jumped forward and hugged the baby dragon. "It's good to see you, my brother!"

"Dusk! Oh, I've never been so happy to-" He stopped when he belched and a scroll appeared in the air, landing on an ever-growing pile Dusk had only just noticed.

"What's all of this?" he asked, setting him down on his bed. "Are you feeling okay?"

"No, I feel awful!" He belched up another letter. "The princess has been sending these… since I came back upstairs!"

"And… how long ago was that?"

"I don't know, it's all a blur, just… never-ending letters!" He actually cried as he belched up another. "Please, make it stop!"

"I uh… don't know if I can, sorry Spike." He put his blankets around him and moved to look at the pile. "What is all of this anyway?"

Levitating a random scroll, he unrolled it and read the words inscribed upon it. He recognised the writing as Spike's, not Celestia's, and realised he'd heard this letter before. It was the one Twilight had sent at the end of Winter Wrap Up. It detailed how everypony had hidden talents that could be found with patience and diligence and that teamwork and friendship could overcome any obstacle.

He remembered that day with warm feelings in his heart, despite the lingering cold… being Twilight, both of them trying to find their place in wrapping-up winter, waking up the animals with Fluttershy, even being part of the process of bringing in spring on time. That feeling stayed with him, as he closed the letter and placed it back with the others.

He pulled out another one, one that detailed how powerful and wonderful friendship could be and that even the bitterest of enemies could become friends, as long as there was understanding and compromise. That warm feeling he had from reading the first letter increased at the fond memory of Little Strongheart and how strong their friendship had become, despite the fact their people were enemies and when peace had been restored.

That same feeling increased again when he read the next one, adhering to when they'd all had a special connection through the sonic rainboom before they'd even met, as it had resulted in them getting their cutie marks and how everypony might have some special connection with their friends before they'd met them too. Even he was a part of it, remembering those wonderful feelings of acceptance and the awesome sight of the sonic rainboom.

Suddenly, it didn't matter why Celestia had sent back all of these reports, whether they were for him or more likely for Twilight, all that mattered was reading through each one and that magical feeling deep down inside him strengthening with every word he read. Along with this, he could feel something growing in his magic abilities too, a surge from his emotions and memories for the times he had spent with the girls, the urge to cast this new spell on something now that he had learned it. But what…?

"Pack your things, Spike, we're leaving. Don't ask where we're going, 'cause I don't know yet. Just not here."

He could hardly believe what he was hearing, that she had only now just returned back to the place they'd spent so much time together for the past year, as the best friend that he had ever had and so much more. He didn't care how grey her fur looked, how forlorn she appeared to be. All that mattered was that he knew what he had to do, allowing the magic he felt to flow into his horn as he approached her.

"Look, I don't know who you are, but if you want to get-out a book, I'm afraid the library will be closed for the foreseeable future," she told Dusk bitterly. "Now, can you please get out?"

She didn't know it was him. At any other time, considering all that happened, he would have preferred that and whatever punishment she would have in mind for him for releasing his darker self upon them and his home. Right now, he just wanted to be with her, to stand by her side, to speak her wonderful name on his lips…

"Twilight Sparkle."

Now she looked up, gasping and unable to comprehend what she was seeing standing in front of her. It was like she had seen a ghost from how wide her eyes grew, staring at him as he removed his hat to expose his horn and walk ever closer to her.

"Dusk…?" she whispered. "Is that… really you?"

He finally stopped, directly in front of her, close enough to here her heart beating against her chest, gazing back into her violet eyes. Knowing exactly what this spell would do, he smiled back at her, tried to ignore the guilt of the pain he caused her and let all the good memories and feelings he had for her flood through him.

"Remember."

Pressing his glowing horn against her own, he let the spell be cast and allowed all of these memories and emotions flow into her like a river. How much he had learned about friendship by being with her, about what his true worth was, about how strongly he felt for her that extended far beyond friendship, he let her feel it all.

Opening his eyes, he looked up to see they had taken the form of a colour puppet of her, one far brighter and more beautiful than any other he had created. Dissolving into a stream, it flooded into her, restoring her grey fur to its brilliant lilac shade. He could hear her gasp as it flowed into her, saw tears well up in her eyes until she restored to the Twilight Sparkle that he knew and loved so much.

She stood there, breathing heavily, silent for all but that. Raising her head and gazing right into his eyes, she let the tears flow and embraced him once more, which he happily returned. He could feel the warm tears drop onto his shoulder as they hugged, aware of nothing else except each other.

"Oh Dusk… I never thought I'd see you again," she murmured, sniffing and still hugging him.

"Neither did I... I've never been happier to see you."

"I missed you, so much." Suddenly, her voice became regretful, apologetic. "Dusk, I'm so sorry we left you behind. You should have stayed with us from the start, then you might have been safe. Instead, you almost… died and it was all my fault."

"Twilight," he said, cupping her chin gently. "I don't blame you, nopony could have predicted what happened. You did what you thought was right."

"I know but… I still shouldn't have left you." She gazed imploringly at him. "Can you ever forgive me?"

"Of course I can." He broke eye contact and looked at the floor. "It's whether or not you can forgive me…"

"What do you mean?" she asked, confused. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"I…" He was about to explain what he was referring to, how much it hurt him when he remembered the pain he caused her.

But then he saw her smile, just her complete and utter relief that they were back together after all the danger they'd been through. He knew it was selfish, but he didn't want to spoil the moment now and there would be time for regrets later. If he was right, she'd never look at him that way again anyway and he wanted to preserve this as long as he could.

Instead, he did his best to quash the memories and smiled at her. "Never mind, it doesn't matter. We can talk about it later."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course," he insisted, only noting now how hard this was. He pulled back and looked back at her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, more than that, brilliant, now that you're back." Then her expression became one of concern. "But what about you?"

"Me? Well, I'm feeling… okay, I suppose. Some painful memories among other things, but nothing too serious… I think."

"Blackhole said how he'd left you for dead somewhere." He felt a twinge of anger at the very mention of his name. "Where were you? How did you get back?"

"It's a long story, but suffice it to say that it wasn't easy and I hope never to go through anything like that again," he said.

"I should think so." She looked over his body. "You want me to check over for any injuries that need treatment? I've read a few medical journals on the subject."

"So have I, when I was bored once and I'm mostly fine, physically anyway…" He felt those painful memories return, but shook them away and gestured to her. "Nice to see you have your colour back."

"It certainly feels better." She marvelled at her restored colour and beamed. "How did you do that? What was that?"

"I um… don't really know myself," he admitted. He explained as best he could what exactly had happened, while she listened and examined the princess's sent back reports. "Did it help?"

She closed the scroll she was reading and beamed at him. "Yes, it did. It was… wonderful," she whispered. "And you… you've made it all so clear."

"I have?"

"Of course, isn't it obvious?" She laughed at his bemused expression. "Discord's trying to distract us from what's important. He knows how powerful our friendships are, and he's been trying to keep us from seeing it."

"Ah yes, of course!" Dusk declared, seeing how obvious it was now, for he himself already knew it. "He knows it's powerful enough to use the Elements and that was why he broke you apart, so you couldn't use them and so he'd have no more opposition."

"Exactly! That's why the princess sent back my reports, so we'd be reminded of exactly that. Or rather, so you'd remind me," she rectified.

Dusk blushed and looked away. "I'm sure you would have… managed without me."

"Still the modest one." She only smiled all the more at his comment. "You don't know how much I've missed you since we separated, how much I've realised that, regardless of what you might think, I can't manage without you."

"What… what do you mean?" he asked unsurely.

"I mean that, if we need to save Equestria, I want you with me this time. Element or not, I'm never leaving you behind again. Besides, I think I'll need your help to restore our friends to normal." She held out her hoof. "What do you say Dusk? Shall we fight for our friendship, together?"

Dusk stared down at her outstretched hoof, knowing what this meant. A year ago, he would have said no that she could no doubt find somepony more useful than him, but now… now he knew his true worth, for she had shown it to him… they all had. He didn't know what he had done with his magic, but he knew that, working together with Twilight, he wanted to help save his friends and his home, no matter how small his contribution.

With that thought firmly in his mind, he gripped her hoof in return and nodded. "I'm with you Miss Sparkle, to the end. For them."

"For us," she followed up and chorusing together. "For Equestria!"

"Hey… nopony mind me," Spike's weak voice groaned, as he belched up another report.

"Oh, sorry Spike. Will you be okay?" asked Twilight.

"Yeah, just so long as I don't… burp out my guts…"

"I think I can help here." Levitating a blank roll of parchment, Dusk quickly wrote a message asking the princess to stop sending reports, as well as a thank you to Princess Luna, then whistled for Ophelia. "Take that to Princess Celestia."

She hooted obediently and let him tie it to her leg, giving him a gentle nip, before taking off into the sky, until she was a little white speck on the horizon, which he only noticed now was a random line rising and falling.

"Thanks man," Spike groaned, crawling under his covers. "I'll just… stay here then…"

"I'd say you need it," Twilight remarked. "Come on Dusk, let's go find our friends."

"As you wish, Miss Sparkle," he said, bowing his head and galloping after her with a new sense of purpose driving him.

For the first time since this whole thing had started, Dusk had a new sense of hope and determination that motivated him. He'd overcome the most gruelling mental challenge he'd ever faced, ventured into the Everfree Forest and made it out alive and even stood against the spirit of chaos himself. Now, he and Twilight were going to bring him to justice and make him pay for he had done, to themselves and their home.

Twilight too seemed to be more driven, whether it was due to his return or the new hope she'd been given, he wasn't sure, but he was just glad to be back with her. But what would happen when the truth was revealed and he had to tell her the truth about Blackhole Doom? Would she ever be able to forgive him for the torment and destruction he'd caused? If he was forced to leave, he would do so but… he didn't want to think of the possibility of never seeing her again.

He quashed those thoughts and returned to the matter at hoof. Worry about that later.

It turned out it was a good thing Dusk had come along with Twilight. Thanks to Discord's redecorating, Ponyville had become a lot more difficult to negotiate, with new paths leading up, down, underground, in the air or just completely vanished. Luckily, Dusk's unique tracking magic ensured that a safe, sensible path was always to be found and they made swift progress throughout their chaotic home.

They arrived at Sweet Apple Acres first, complete with flying pigs, a madly tap-dancing Granny Smith and Applejack, who appeared to be eating in reverse, returning bites to bare apple cores. The sooner this world returned to harmony, the better thought Dusk, this was far too confusing.

"Applejack, we're here to fight for our friendship!" Twilight declared, suddenly surprised by Big Macintosh, who was behaving like a dog.

"How intriguing," muttered Dusk, as he watched him dig a hole back down again.

"Oh, now you want to fight an' look who's shown up at last, haven't missed you at all," she said to Dusk. "Where were ya when ah was battlin' Discord?"

They nodded to each other and pounced her before she could react, pinning the farm pony to the floor.

"Snap out of it. This isn't you! You're not a liar. Dusk, now!" At her command, he performed his spell in time with hers.

He poured in all of the memories he had with her, when she'd first welcomed him, her offer to be his very first friend, planting that apple seed on their walk, watching the sunset on the arm. The colour form floated above them as Twilight performed her own memory spell and dissolved into her, restoring her fur to that fair shade of peach.

"Wh-what happened? Twilight! Dusk!" She shook her head and stood up. "Ah saw a vision of us feudin' and fightin'. Ah couldn't face the truth, so ah started tellin' lies. Can ya ever forgive me?"

"I already have. Come on!" ordered Twilight, wasting no time in getting going.

"Nice ta have ya back, sugarcube," she said to Dusk, as they galloped off once more.

"It's good to be back and… it's great to see you again, Applejack," he added sincerely.

"Well, thank ya kindly," she said, looking up at the puppet he was using. "Anypony else gettin' a feelin'-a déjà vu here?"

"Separated in a dangerous environment with Dusk coming to find us all with his colour puppets and bringing us all back together to fight the bad guy?" Twilight laughed a little at that. "Now you mention it, this is all rather familiar."

"This does seem to be becoming a habit of mine, isn't it?" remarked Dusk.

"Just further proof you should have been with us from the beginning," added Twilight, smiling at him.

"Believe me, I was," muttered Dusk, so only he could hear. "Yes, well, I'm here now."

"An' we're jus' that little bit better fer it." She cocked her head at him. "Ah remember bein' told 'bout what that feller Blackhole did to ya. You okay?"

"I… I'll manage," he said, not dishonestly, but not entirely truthful either.

"If ya say so," she said unsurely, possibly picking up on this. "What happened ta him anyway?"

"He's… he's been beaten and I'm going to make sure he's never coming back," he said firmly.

"Amen ta that," agreed Applejack. "Let's see if we can't do the same with Discord, huh?"

"Indubitably," said Dusk, moving to the head. "Now, let's go and get Fluttershy."

As they ran, he thought back a little on what he had said to Applejack. Certainly, he had defeated his darker self and regained control of his body, but what if he wasn't gone for good? What if, somehow, he managed to find a way to return or some other influence forced his return and he would once again be free to bring about torment and suffering to all those who stood in his way? Dusk did his best to remain convinced that he wouldn't let that happen again, but he still shuddered to think if he would ever return…

They arrived at her cottage just as quickly as they had with the farm, albeit with a lot more dips and drops than they were used to. The door was locked, but that was swiftly solved when Applejack promptly kicked it open, to reveal the Pegasus hanging a few critters upside down from a high height.

"Hey! Why are you interrupting my fun?" she demanded.

"Fluttershy, let them go and get down here."

"Very poor choice of words." With a sinister cackle that made Dusk feel unnerved, she dropped them and they plummeted to the ground.

Sprinting forward, Dusk caught them with a spell and lowered them softly to the ground before they could sustain any injury. They squeaked their thanks and hurried off in case their former carer tried anything else on them.

"Yoink!" He felt his hat leave his head and looked up to see Fluttershy had taken his hat. "I've been meaning to do that and it was worth it."

"Fluttershy, would be please be so kind as to return my trilby?" Dusk asked, keeping his voice controlled and measured.

"Um… how about no?" she snapped, cackling again.

Dusk shook his head, gazing up at her. "Look what he's done to you. I know you think you're enjoying this, Fluttershy, but deep down, you know this isn't who you truly. Where's that kind, gentle Pegasus I first met escorting a family of ducks? Where's she gone?"

"She was too nice and didn't let herself have any fun. This is much better," she insisted.

He glanced at Applejack, who was now preparing a lasso to bring her down to earth so they could hold her down while he and Twilight worked their magic. Deciding to keep her distracted, he returned his attention to her, holding his hat even further out of his reach.

"Do you really believe that? I don't think so, because I preferred the way you were."

"Well tough, that me is gone!"

"No she isn't, she's just being kept quiet." He stepped closer, so he'd be ready to act straight away. "I know how it feels, to have lost yourself and have somepony else take control of you in a way you don't want."

"But I do want this," she retorted, though not as firmly as before. "You're just being a sad little crybaby who wants his best friend back. How sad is that?"

"If that's the case, then I would willingly be that," he said calmly. "But I know how to stop it, how to bring the real you back. And for the record, I'm very sorry."

"Oh yeah? For what?" she challenged, Applejack whirling her length of rope.

"For this." She squeaked in surprise as the rope wrapped around her body and tightened.

Thanks to Applejack's strength, they were able to haul her down to the ground and hogtie her in place, preventing her from struggling free. He and Twilight then did what they had to, Dusk allowing his brotherly feelings for her and his admiration at how kind and compassionate she could be flood into her through the puppet that restored her colour.

Immediately, her struggles ceased, her cruel sneer vanished and the visage of timid kindness that he knew so well to be Fluttershy's returned at once and filling Dusk with relief to see her back to normal again.

"Oh no!" she exclaimed when she returned to normal. "Twilight, Applejack, Dusk, I just had the worst dream!"

"Haven't we all, sugarcube?" Applejack remarked, untying her legs. "You okay?"

"Oh my, it was horrible! I was so mean and nasty! I just did all of these mean things and I poured water onto you Twilight, I tripped up poor little Spike and Dusk I…" She looked down, realised she was holding it and handed it back to him in a panic. "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry I took it, I didn't mean to!"

"It's okay, Fluttershy," he assured soothingly, putting his hat back on. "The dream is over now, you're back to being you."

"But I was still so cruel to you and you didn't deserve that, not any of you." She stared at him, tears forming in her eyes. "I'm so sorry big brother, please don't be mad!"

Dusk's eyes widened and he gasped, so did Fluttershy when she realised what she'd said. He'd always thought of her like the sister he never had, but this… this still caught him off-guard. This surprised Dusk more than anything else so far and everypony else too, for they had all fallen silent at her exclamation, Fluttershy looking mortified.

"I mean um… I don't mean like… you know as… well…" She trailed off and hid behind her mane, mumbling incoherently.

Dusk's response was to smile kindly at her and embrace her, which she gladly returned.

"It's okay, I forgive you, little sister," he whispered in her ear, resulting her hugging him all the more tightly.

"Thank you," she whispered back, breaking apart and beaming. "So… what's going on?"

"We're bringing ourselves back together and then we're bringing down Discord," summed up Twilight. "Come on, Rarity next."

"Right you are," confirmed Dusk, making her form appear and leading behind Twilight as they galloped off again.

Dusk was glad to have Fluttershy back and even more so now they had made clear the closeness they felt for each other and for another reason too. With that forgiveness he had just given to Fluttershy, who was flying closest to him now he noticed, Dusk had renewed hope that there was a slim chance that the girls might forgive him too, a small one, but it was still there… though Blackhole had been far worse than the discorded Fluttershy in his opinion.

In addition to this, something else gave him some renewed hope. In lieu of what he and Fluttershy had done, perhaps he might even finally let Twilight know how he felt about her. After all, he and Fluttershy had been okay with each other revealing the sibling-like feelings they had for one another. How great would it be, to at last let her know, to hold her gently in his hooves and share in a love far stronger than friendship, to do anything for her…

But… what if she didn't feel the same?

Deciding not to linger on this more likely possibility, he returned his attention to the waking world when he saw they had arrived at the Carousel Boutique, which was also in a different location to where it was originally situated. How fitting they were now here for the pony who had been helping him with his romantic dealings, especially now he had just been considering them again.

When they entered, they found Rarity in the centre of the store, lovingly polishing and crooning over the large boulder that Dusk knew, thanks to Discord's powers, she thought was an equivalently sized diamond of infinite beauty. What a state she had been put in thanks to him, that they had all been put in. Well, that was about to change.

"Sorry, we're closed," she said absently.

"That's okay, we're just here for one thing." Twilight motioned silently to them for positions to take up, which they swiftly complied to do.

"What do you think you're doing?" She only looked up when they had her surrounded and were closing in around her, cutting off any escape. Her eyes darted around them, standing before her boulder protectively. "Get away from my gem! Get away-!"

She was cut off when Twilight performed her memory spell and Dusk thought of the positive emotions he had for her, the way she had helped him in his attempted romance, teaching him to dance and the two of them having tea together, reminding him of all the best aspects of Canterlot with none of the bad ones.

The colour puppet restored her fur to her shining white coat and uniquely styled purple mane, gasping as the feelings were poured into her mind. After it was done, she smiled her pleasant, sophisticated smile.

"Hello girls, and to our gentlecolt friend too," she added to Dusk. "What's going on…?" She paused, frowning and then widening her eyes and whipping around to face the rock. "By Celestia, how humiliating…"

She hurried behind the stone and started to push against it. Seeing what she was doing, Dusk moved forward to help her, heaving the rock out of the door and leaving it outside where it belonged. She nodded in thanks to Dusk and turned to the others.

"Let us never speak of this again," she announced firmly. The others only smiled, just glad to have her back.

"Hold on…" Dusk walked up to the boulder, examined the surface, tapped against it and found a substantial crack in its surface. "Applejack, could you come here please?"

"Sure thing." She walked over to where he indicated.

"Kick it right here, as hard as you can, if you please," he requested politely.

"And how!" With a loud crack, she kicked the stone with her hooves, with enough force to shatter it completely.

Dusk looked at Rarity and nodded. "There, now we never speak of it again."

"Quite so," she said, nodding her approval and glancing at his neck. "I say, what's happening to your necklace?"

Dusk looked down, confused but soon saw what she meant. The little spots of colour that decorated the surface of the dark stones had grown in size and had started to glow more brightly as well. Specifically, it was four of them, the ones that matched the fur colour of all of the ponies they had now restored. Three of them were in their normal state, glowing dimly, like they were asleep and waiting to be woken up.

Twilight had stepped forward and was now examining them too, squinting to have a better look at them.

"They weren't like that before," she murmured. "Maybe it's some kind of magic that's contained in them that's enhancing yours."

"That seems feasible," nodded Dusk, not able to think of a better explanation himself. "It would explain why I thought they were so important."

"It still doesn't explain what exactly they are or why they're only doing this now." She pointed at the newest one. "I haven't seen this one before, where did you get it?"

Dusk explained to her how Luna had sent him to the Castle, with her remarking in realisation at it. He didn't go into detail about the strange magic that had taken him back in time or that he had met Discord while he was there for he didn't have time to go into detail or explain why, but concluded by saying that he had found it there due to a strange series of events.

"Interesting… I wonder…" She was in a state of deep thinking for a few minutes, before she returned to a normal state. "Well, whether we know what they are or not, they can still help us and right now we need them."

"That's what I was thinking," agreed Dusk. "I think Luna knows something, perhaps we should ask her later."

"Good idea, but for now let's get back to work and find Pinkie next."

Dusk silently affirmed his order by creating a new puppet for the pink pony, but he was still thinking again about the significance of these stones. What exactly were they and how were they affecting his magic in such a way? If they were made, how did they know exactly for what purpose they were needed? If each one was lighting up for each of the girls he rescued, what about the one that represented his colour? How would that one activate and if it did, what would they ultimately do?

His thoughts were interrupted when he noticed something slither into a bush. It was only there for a second and it was gone, so fast he wasn't even sure if he saw it. He stared at the spot where it had been, at the bush it had supposedly gone into. He didn't know exactly what it had been or if it had even been there, but something made him feel… uneasy about it. Would it be worth trying to investigate and put this fears to rest… or confirm them?

"Dusk? Are you all right darling?" Rarity had stayed back to check up on him, looking where he was.

"It's um… nothing, just my imagination," he finally said. "Come on, let's get going."

Rarity lingered for a moment, smiling warmly at him. "I'm relieved to see you recovered, Dusk." Her eyes moved to Twilight, who was looking back with concern. "I don't think I'm the only one."

"Well… I would think all of my friends are glad to see me…" he mumbled, his cheeks growing hot.

"You know what I am talking about." She only winked and gestured for him to take the lead.

Dusk nodded and ran on ahead again, lowering his head to hide how red his cheeks had become. Had he not, he would have seen a long, scaly neck rising from the bush, watching them leave through red, fiery eyes. It hissed, gave an approximation of a smile and slithered after them, a good few more following in its wake.