• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 12,569 Views, 103 Comments

Ponyville Parents Day - Black Kyurem



Applejack is the only pony of the Mane 6 whose parents are no longer living.

  • ...
13
 103
 12,569

Chapter 2: Applejack's Parents

It struck Twilight like an arrow to the knee. Never did it occur to her that Applejack's parents were deceased all this time they were friends with each other. This meant that of the six of them, Applejack was the only one with no parents. Now by technicality, this still did not make Applejack, her sister Apple Bloom, and her brother Big Macintosh orphans because they were under the care of the owner of Sweet Apple Acres, Granny Smith. Still, it must have been tough for the three siblings to grow up without any real role models in their lives. Although, Apple Bloom had shown to look up to Granny Smith like such, which warmed Applejack's heart to see.

"Oh, Applejack," cried Twilight, still having not known about Applejack's parents till just now. "I... I'm so sorry! If I had known, I..."

"S'okay, sugar cube," said Applejack, starting to tear up. "They've been dead fer years now. Ah admit, it's still heartbreakin' to think about every now and then, but ah knew back then, ah had to be movin' on. Ah had a farm to work on after all and ah knew ah couldn't just grieve forever."

"What about Apple Bloom?" asked Twilight, swallowing a lump in her throat. "Does she know? Did anypony tell her?"

"She knows," replied Applejack. "Ah still remember those summer nights when... she couldn't sleep... 'cause she was thinkin' of our folks. Sometimes, she'd even cry herself to sleep... 'cause the thing is, she hardly knew 'em."

"Applejack..."

"Ah remember after that Family Appreciation Day, ah found her cryin' in the barn all by herself. She told me how those other fillies brought one of their parents fer their presentations. Sure, she said Granny Smith was great and all, but just not rememberin' much about our folks was just breakin' both our hearts. Ah stayed with her... and tried to comfort her... but ah was sad too. Ah knew Apple Bloom woulda given anythin' to be in the comfort of her ma's warm embrace... and her pa's strong hooves. But we both knew she wouldn't have that chance." Applejack started to cry, so Twilight took her to the library where she could lay low for a bit and pour out all of her feelings.

"Applejack, why didn't you tell me?" asked Twilight.

"Well, ah sure as hay couldn't tell ya that day we met," answered Applejack. "Ah could tell that ya weren't willin' to make friends that easy, but that didn't stop me from openin' mahself up to you. Besides, ah didn't think ah needed to tell ya anyway. Ah was just happy the six of us were all such good friends and that's all ah really needed."

"You're right, Applejack. We are friends. And we're family too. We'll always be here for each other, even if on some days we have our falling outs and disagreements."

"Aw, thank ya, Twi." Applejack wiped away some tears. "Come with me. There's somethin' ah shoulda shown ya as soon as ah knew we would all be best of friends." They went to Sweet Apple Acres and inside the barn, they met up with Big Macintosh and Applejack pulled out an old photo that showed her parents when they were younger and working on the farm.

"Are these your parents?" asked Twilight.

"Eeyup," answered Big Macintosh.

"They were hard-workin' farm ponies just like Big Mac and mahself," said Applejack.

"Your mom's really pretty," Twilight commented.

"Aw, thanks, honey," said Applejack. "Her name was Honey Blossom. And she was remarkably strong fer her age. Granny Smith told me she had much more strength than both mah pa and Big Mac."

"Do you... know what happened to your parents?"

"Well... it's not somethin' ah would normally talk about again, but I'll tell ya because it's you, Twi. It was some time after one of our family reunions when I was a little filly. Mah parents decided to start their own farm, somewhere out on the Macintosh Hills. We didn't know it, but... they would never come home. One day, one of our fellow Apples showed up with somethin' all wrapped up in cloth. Ah saw him talkin' with Granny Smith and she was cryin' somethin' fierce... Ah felt it. Granny had such a close bond with mah mom, so ah knew instinctively somethin' was wrong, and so did Big Macintosh. Our parents would never again make it to another family reunion and that was that. That day, our parents left behind their last foal they ever had fer us to take care of... Apple Bloom."

"It was a terrible storm," said Big Mac. "That's what we were told. They were still travelin' to the Macintosh Hills and unable to take shelter. Neither of them made it." The whole story brought Twilight to tears.

"Oh, Applejack," she cried. "I'm so sorry! I... I... I can't go through with Parents Day now! How could I do that to you?"

"Oh, come now," insisted Applejack, regaining her composure. "Don't you go and fret yer pretty little head off about this. Ah'm sure ah ain't the only pony in Ponyville without parents. Maybe some ponies don't even have families with them, but they're willing to go through with this anyway." Despite Applejack's encouragement, Twilight slumped onto the soft hay.

"I don't know, Applejack. I just don't think I can do this now. What if other ponies are just as miserable as you might be? I know Cheerilee isn't even married as a start!"

"Well, ah didn't see ya gettin' worked up over that, now did ah? Twi, if you were really feelin' bad about this whole thing, ya never woulda discussed this idea with the mayor to begin with. We're doin' this not just to recognize proud parents, but we're doin' this fer family! Ah know mah siblings and ah may not have our parents around anymore, but it's not like we've lost everythin'. We still have our farm and we still have Granny Smith, so we're still family! And we've stuck through everythin' together, even the thick and thin. So don't you dare go cancellin' this Parents Day idea just cause ah got a little weepy-eyed over mah parents. 'Cause ah'm sure as hay that this is not what they would want. What yer puttin' on fer us is meant to show appreciation to parents, so we can also honor any of our parents who aren't here. You should be proud of yerself, Twi... fer doin' this! Ah'm sorry if ah didn't show it, but ah think this is one of the best ideas you've come up with! It's a great start for yer newfound reputation as Princess of Ponyville!" Twilight got up off the ground.

"You're right, Applejack," she said. "I guess I just lost heart for a minute."

"Don't worry, sugar cube." Applejack put her hoof around Twilight. "It happens to all of us. We just need a little remindin' of who we are sometimes. It's not always about bein' right or wrong. It's about doin' what we have to do, especially to make things work."

"I guess I shouldn't doubt that, coming from you."

"Aw, shucks, Twi. Bein' honest doesn't mean ah'm always right. It just means ah do what ah have to and say what ah think makes sense. In mah case, ah'd hate mahself if ah told a lie."

"I assume that's why you told Apple Bloom about your parents."

"Eeyup," answered Big Macintosh. "Mind you, Granny Smith and ah weren't crazy about it, but we knew one day Apple Bloom would have to know. So Applejack told her when she became a filly."

"It sure broke her heart," said Applejack. "She was so young... ah never thought she could bear it. But then we told her pretty much what ah told you just know and she turned out just fine." Outside the barn, Granny Smith and Apple Bloom had been listening in.

"Ah'm so glad we're still family, Granny," said Apple Bloom, nuzzling her.

"Say, Apple Bloom," said Granny Smith. "How would you like to invite cousin Babs to Ponyville Parents Day? Ah'm sure she'll be glad to see ya."

"Oh, yes!" cried Apple Bloom. "Of course ah wanna have Babs over! She's mah favorite cousin!" As Apple Bloom started bouncing around, Granny Smith smiled over her granddaughter's excitement. If it was one thing they never lost, it was true family.

Author's Note:

DISCLAIMER: Applejack's parents are OCs owned by deviantART user LugiaAngel, not me.