• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 15,758 Views, 1,635 Comments

The God Squad: Equestria's Most Wanted - defender2222



Season 2 sees Luna, Celestia, Tydal, Shining, Cadence and Chrysalis on the run and attempt to clear their good names. Needless to say, they are sidetrakced... alot

  • ...
49
 1,635
 15,758

PreviousChapters Next
Tydal vs. Tirek: One Last Victory

2 Hours Later
30 Nautical Miles off the Shore of Equestria

"And then me dear father looked me and said, "Moody, know that I always hated ya... but ye be me son and I won't let no corn-chuckin' soldier take you down!"." Captain Mood Whiplash of the Tropespouter placed his hat over his heart, half his crew manning the spotlight and the band (made up mostly of sad violins... both in terms of music and their childhood) while the other half watched, sniffing back tears. They'd left port a month earlier, Whiplash unable to stay in one place for too long, even if he was married to Zeena of Zebrica (who was known for both her ability to rhyme on a dime and for making horrible life choices). "And so my dear father rushed in, with only an old shoe and a bottle of mustard to defend himself-"

"Captain!" Popeye (the lookout, not the sailor man... who yam what he yam) called out. "Storm comin' this way!"

"A storm?" Whiplash asked, putting his hat back on and grabbing his seeing eyeglass. The weather had been clean and clear the entire day, the sea having just the right chop to make things not dull, and it had been looking to be smooth sailing. But, sure enough, speeding towards them at a rapid pass was a dark storm. There was no lightning or thunder though... just a wall of black clouds. "Get the ropes tied off! Adjust the sails! Put the Playbills in my cabin!" His crew hurried to their tasks while Whiplash watched the unusual storm approach.

"What is it, sir?" one sailor asked. They were used to storms, having sailed around the Horn of Oh-Shit-Oh-Shit-This-Storm-Is-Insane many of times. But this one was different. The sea was not growing more violent but actually became tame and the rain that had begun to fall was not pounding the ship's deck but fell down in fat gently drops. The sailor stuck up his tongue and blinked in confusion. "The rains cap'in... they be salty!"

Whiplash looked down at the water and nodded safely. "Ey, I suppose they are."

"What... what is happenin' sir?"

"Look for yourself," Whiplash said. The sailor peered down over the rail, following the captain's eyeline, and saw that all the fish and sharks and dolphins and whales and all the life of the ocean had risen to the surface and were now staring out to the west. "It's the sea, boy... it be not rainin'. It be cryin'."

The God Squad: Equestria's Most Wanted
Episode 42- Tydal vs. Tirek: One Last Victory

Tirek’s world exploded in pain as Tydal struck, his fist smashing in Tirek’s nose and sending the giant crashing to the ground. He coughed, spitting a massive molar out, only to let out a gasp when the monstrous capricorn landed on him, driving his back hoof right into Tirek’s Adam’s apple. The magic-thief gurgled, trying to lash out and strike Tydal back but the old god grabbed Tirek’s horns and with a roar that shook the heavens lifted him into the air before driving him right back down into the ground, the agony that ran through Tirek’s throat forgotten as he felt his spine crack and nearly break. Tydal took hold of Tirek’s back leg, his stone fingers probing it almost gently before he took hold of his patella and crushed it.

The centaur tried to crawl away only for Tydal to spin in the air, his fan blade slashing his back and causing Tirek to howl in pain as blood sprayed from his battered form.

"Did you think this would go unanswered?" Tydal snarled as he moved in to pound Tirek's face in, only for the centaur to roll out of the way. "Did you think that Equestria was alone? There is still one guardian who draws breath!"

"I didn't know and I didn't care!" Tirek roared, catching the war god on the chin with an uppercut that had his head snapping back so hard it nearly separated his brain stem from his spinal column. Tydal stumbled back, just managing to lift his arm up and block a left hook Tirek sent his way. "I have grown beyond all this world can send to challenge me! You call yourself a god?" Tirek grabbed Tydal's head and smashed the Capricorn's forehead into his kneecap. "I find Equestria's choice in deities rather unimpressive."

Tydal let out a snort, ducking a kick Tirek sent towards his head. "That's the problem with you world conquerors." The tentacles that made up his lower body in his ascended form rushed out, grabbing onto Tirek's wrists and pulling in opposite directions until the giant was bellowing in pain. "You are always so concerned with the grand spectacle!" Tydal pulled Tirek in, dropping his head and goring the magic-thief. Blood mixed with the water that made up Tydal's skin and he reached out with his right hand, gathering up Tirek's entrails and giving them a violent twist. "So worried about putting on a show!" Tydal released Tirek's wrists before creating a ball of salt water and sending it into Tirek's stomach wound, a vicious smirk on his face as his foe roared in agony.

The giant centaur took a step back, his hand trembling as he held it out as if pleading for Tydal to stop. But he didn't cry out anymore or make any move that would indicate how injured he was. Instead Tirek merely closed his eyes, focusing for a moment, and Tydal let out a sigh of annoyance as the would-be overlord healed his wounds. Tirek smirked, cracking his knuckles and motioning for Tydal to come at him again.

"You didn't think I merely knew how to throw a few balls of magic, did you?" Tirek asked.

"I was hoping you were that stupid, yes," Tydal admitted, channeling some lightning and sending it at his opponent. Tirek dove away and created a flaming whip that he brought down on Tydal's back, causing the War God to snarl in pain.

"The only magic that belongs truly to me and me alone is my magic-draining spell but that doesn't mean I am a fool or a novice. I know how to battle as a mage..." he suddenly darted forth, far too fast for one of his size and bulk, caught Tydal's arm and ripped it clean from his body, "...though I do so enjoy the personal touch." Before Tydal even had a chance to regrow the arm Tirek was on his, throwing fists and hooves at him, knocking him back again and again, the god of the sea stumbling over hills and the battered remains of houses as Tirek drove him back. "Why do you fight me? I can feel it in you... the desire for the fight. You are a War God, aren't you? You favor strength!" Tirek drove his hand into Tydal's back and squeezed his spine, trying to tug it loose. It was only because it was currently stone and not bone that Tydal survived that assault. "Power!" Seeing that wasn't working Tirek released him only to grab his head and force him to look at him. "VICTORY!"

Tydal roared as Tirek drove his thumbs into his eyes.

The centaur laughed as he threw Tydal into the sky. "You could have been my ally!" he boasted, waiting for his foe to come crashing down. "Not like Discord, of course... that fool was soft and weak! But you aren't! You hate these ponies almost as much as I do!"

"And yet I'll die defending them," Tydal's voice whispered on the wind before two twin thunderbolts came crashing down, electrocuting Tirek. “Because no one, Tirek… no one deserves this.” The centaur gasped in pain, clutching at his chest; it felt like his heart had nearly popped. He looked up and saw Tydal hovering above him, wings made of pure lightning having spread from his back. "God of the Storm as well," Tydal informed him.

"You will die for them?" Tirek roared, leaping into the air and wrapping his arms around Tydal's middle, the two tumbling through the stormclouds, lashing out at each other with punches stronger than thunderclaps. "THEN LET ME GRANT YOU YOUR WISH!" He twisted in mid air and threw Tydal back down, the capricorn slamming into the earth with the force of a meteor. Tirek came down a moment later right on Tydal's chest, knocking the air from his lungs. "Fool!" Tirek roared. "I can sense it... you're holding back! Why? Stop playing and show me what you have!" He grabbed Tydal by the throat, forcing his head up, the war god coughing up a mouthful of sea water. "Or is it because you don't dare?" Tirek saw Tydal flinch and knew he had him. "That's it, isn't it? You know you have the power to defeat me but tapping into that strength would threaten the precious little ponies you are now trying to protect!" He punched Tydal in the face... not so much to weaken him as to humiliate him. "You can't win, can you? If you die they die... but if you grasp the power to kill me you'll destroy all of them!"

"Y-yes," Tydal gasped.

"Then why don't you just lie down and die?"

Tydal's form shuddered and suddenly the stone crumbled in Tirek's beefy hand and the water splashed and rolled along the scarred battlefield. For a moment Tirek thought perhaps the old god had willed himself to die... only to howl in pain when he felt a very sharp fan tail lash out between his legs. Tears formed in his eyes and he looked down to see Tydal, once more in his 1% form, panting with blood trickling from the corner of his mouth... and Tirek's balls resting beside him.

The damn goat had castrated him!

"Like I said... so concerned with putting on a big flashy show," Tydal taunted, giving the balls a kick. "Rather small when compared to the rest of you..."

Tirek roared, healing himself in an instant and charging up his horns. "LET'S SEE YOU LAUGH IN HELL!" He sent the beam of raw magic right at the old goat, laughing in malicious glee as it struck head on, the ground turning to glass and what few trees had remained rendered little more than ashes from the fiery onslaught.

And then he felt the magical shield slowly pushing the beam back at him.

Tydal grit his teeth, his legs braced as he fought back. "Lie down and die?" he asked. "I don't know how." With a mighty push Tydal managed to shove the blast back, Tirek forced to leap away lest he be struck by his own attack. He looked down at Tydal, rage blinding him even as the god of the sea panted.

"I WILL DEFEAT YOU!!!!" Tirek roared, rushing towards Tydal, his hooves tearing into the bedrock and kicking up pebbles like they were boulders. But he found that a small nimble opponent was harder to pin down than a giant of his own size and strength. Tydal leapt about the battlefield… and then he began to leap about Tirek, his tail lashing out and his horns burning with magic as he tossed every spell he had at the centaur. Blood dripped to the stone in buckets and even Tirek found himself slipping at times as his ichor stained the rock.

And still Tydal fought on.

He swept under Tirek’s right foreleg and lashed at the tendons, moving just as his foe’s knee came crashing down. Then he was leaping up, lightning so hot it burned the tip of his mane, his eyes blazing as he channeled all the rage and pain and fear that had been bubbling inside him into one grand attack. The ground broke open and geysers shot scalding water as the storm clouds trembled under the power of the God of the War, the God of the Sea, the God of the Storm. Tydal thought of his little girls trapped in Tartarus, of Shining's pain, Sunset and Chrysalis' tears, of his brother's betrayal. He thought of all the fillies and colts and foals in Equestria and in the blink of an eye he recalled all their names and counted all that would die if he failed to hold the line. He counted them all in one terrible moment and felt the weight of their lives upon him.

He would not break.

Not yet.

“DARK MAELSTROM- CELESTIAL LIGHTNING!”

Twin blasts of energy shot out, one from each horn, spinning for a moment before they took on the ethereal forms of Celestia and Luna, the two racing towards Tirek. The burning water twisted as well, forming into liquidy shades of Cadence, Discord, and Shining, grasping Tirek and holding him in place as the twin bolts lanced through the centaur's body, engulfing the battlefield and blinding all who may have been watching. The blast sent Tydal tumbling head over tail through the air until a mountain stopped his fall. Even then he could hear Tirek roaring in pain and through blurry eyes saw that he had blown off half of Tirek’s right side. His body aching worse than when he’d battled Discord, Tydal still found the drive to stand and even as his horns felt ready to crack he focused on the water around him and created several water spouts and sent them right at Tirek, the pillars joining at the last moment and driving right into the centaur’s mouth, Tydal panted as he willed the water into his foe, trying to drown him.

It isn’t enough.

It was never going to be.

Tirek was on him in seconds, his meaty hand wrapping around his smaller form, squeezing until Tydal’s vision was mere pinpricks of light. The centaur was laughing, he could tell, and when he finally relaxed his grip the old goat was looking right into his eyes.

“I thought long and hard about this… and I’m not going to kill you,” Tirek taunted, giving Tydal a hard shake. The war god could do little, his body weak and weary, screaming at him to just let go. “I’m going to drain you like I have every other pony… and then I will recall the princesses and make you watch as I kill them… slowly.”

Tydal trembled but could do nothing more.

“Know this, old god… all this amounted to NOTHING.” And with that Tirek opened his mouth and twisting magic appeared between his and Tydal’s mouths. Tirek would have crowed in victory as he drained Tydal dry if he could have but settled merely for watching the capricorn, waiting to see the hope die in his eyes. Oh, how he wanted to see the defiant fire be doused in those dark orbs.

It never was.

And Tirek didn’t feel any stronger.

In fact, if he thought about it… he actually felt… weaker. As if he weren’t gaining anything at all and instead something was being taken from… him…

He froze, the magic still swirling between their mouths.

Going from him to Tydal.

He ripped Tydal away, the god’s battered form hanging in his hand but a weak smile on his lips. Tirek began to gasp and pant in panic, touching his chest, flaring the magic in his horns, desperate to figure out what had just what had happened.

“What… what have you done to me?” Tirek asked, hating how scared he sounded.

Tydal chuckled though that did little to hide his pained groan. “No one ever wonders how I managed to teach Celestia and Luna. Capricorns have magic but not quite the level of alicorns. We are built for physical battle but I was always a touch special. See… a great warrior looks at their foe and doesn’t merely discover their weakness… they discover their strengths and adapt them as their own. I spied on the unicorns and learned their tricks... and then taught them to my little fillies. I'm a quick study.”

“Stop speaking in riddles!” Tirek roared, shaking Tydal.

“To put it bluntly… I used your magic theft spell against you… and took the most important magic of all away.”

“Whose?” Tirek roared. “Celestia! Luna? Discord?!? TELL ME!”

“Yours,” Tydal said with a victorious smile. Tirek actually stumbled at that. “I ripped away your magic, Tirek. All you are living on now is stolen spells, old horse. How does it feel to know that this is it… your pinnacle.” Tirek stared at him, slack jawed, as the full might of what Tydal had done came crashing down at him. “You always desired more… to keep getting stronger. To know that you are done, that you can never take even a single drop of magic from another… that all you have to look forward to is becoming weaker, to know that should you fall now you will never be able to take another drop… it must be hell.”

Tirek shuddered in rage. “Kill you… I’ll kill you!” He lifted Tydal up, ready to smear him against the bedrock, only to realize that the capricorn was beginning to glow. “What… what is this?” he demanded, bringing Tydal back down to his eye level.

Tydal’s head lulled to the side, his abused body barely holding together even as his flesh began to glow and the air around him swirled with magic. “I’m not you, Tirek… I don’t keep what isn’t mine. So I’m going to use your filthy magic… for one last spell.” He smiled then, a smile that one might have seen on an old stallion after a hard day of work, settling down in his rocking chair to watch the sun set on both the day and his life. A smile of contentment, of acceptance. Of an old soldier having won one last victory. The raw energy was seeping out of his pores but all the capricorn could do was let out a sigh. “So it ends.”

Tirek stared at Tydal’s rapidly glowing body before, with a bellow of rage, he threw him as hard as he could into the sky. The war god’s body flipped and tumbled as he rocketed upward, the energy of his final spell trailing behind him like the tail of a shooting star. He looked down at Equestria as it sat far below him and the waters of the Mareatine that had been his home. He looked upon the world he had loved. And as he did so he saw it… the rainbow light bursting from where the Tree of Harmony sat.

Tydal cried in relief.

He’d kept his promise.

He’d held the line

It had been enough.

“Glory to the Mareatine,” Tydal whispered as the magic reached its apex. “Long live Equestria.”

He shut his eyes.

‘I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss.’

In Grifland Fuzzy Thinker suddenly looked up, his half-moon glasses slipping from his grasp and falling to the ground. The teachers that were seated with him at the great table began to question him but he could not speak. He pressed his claw to his chest and broke down, not caring who saw his tears.

‘I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy.’

In Zebrica the herd stopped dead still when Zeena froze before lifting her head and letting out a heartbroken whinny… the call of family left behind, unable to follow unto the final journey. The herd joined their Lady in her grief, their cries a serenade to send the soul on it’s way.

‘I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts’

In Reinssia Polar Vortex let out a roar of rage and began to destroy his own throne, his subjects moving aside, watching as the great peryton thrashed with tears in his eyes. Finally he collapsed and sobbed out a single name… and all knew that a great hero had fallen.

‘And in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence.’

Deep beneath the waves a kingdom stopped as one… and the sea went still with grief.

‘It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done;”

In the space between spaces the Mother bent her head and wept for her baby boy.

“ it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.’

The sky erupted in brilliant light.

Sunset and Chrysalis screamed even as Twilight and her friends raced in on rainbow-tinted magic.

To save the day.

PreviousChapters Next