• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 9,657 Views, 387 Comments

Her Destiny - Broken



Twilight is turned into an alicorn against her will, paying a terrible price. Now she becomes Equestria's worst enemy, and sets on a journey to uncover her world's greatest secret: The truth behind the nature of the alicorns.

  • ...
48
 387
 9,657

Two - The Concord Flame

The persistent sound of a loose water faucet slowly dripping nearby forced Twilight to open her eyes.


She was in a dungeon. One of the deepest in Canterlot castle. It was the kind of dungeon that only the worst criminals in Equestria were destined for, the kind of dungeon that once one entered, one never escaped.


Her legs were chained by a magically enchanted chain, designed especially to lock even the supernatural strength of an alicorn. Her wings were held against her body by a large strip of metal, making it impossible for her to unfold them.


Even her horn had received the nullifying ring once again.


The cell, a small room made of white marble, was murky and damp, moss and fungi sprouted forth between the stone, clarifying just how little upkeep the place received.


Twilight could only see a bed, a water faucet to her near left, and a toilet as furniture inside.


The bars separating Twilight from the corridor outside were rusted and forgotten.


A single torch was the only light that made it down this far into the underground prison. The meaning was clear: you're never going to see daylight again.


By this point, Twilight had lost any sense of time. How much have time passed since her struggle at the Golden Oak Library?


If that even mattered.


The alicorn got up and slowly trotted over to the bars, while the chains dangled on her trembling legs, causing small cuts in her lavender skin.


Twilight pressed her head against the iron bars as despair overwhelmed her. None of this made any sense. How had things gone so wrong? Was she a bad pony?


Twilight shuddered against the rusted iron as sobs racked her body, each tear shed for a different reason. Sadness. Guilt. Confusion. Betrayal.


That image, of Celestia turning her face away from her still burned inside of Twilight’s mind.

Why? Why? Why?


Twilight slammed her head against the bars as the unanswerable question brutally tortured her.


How much more can be taken away from me besides my life?


Twilight shook the thoughts from her mind, but try as she might, she couldn't stop the never ending stream of tears.


Celestia... Princess Celestia why? I love you so much, why have you abandoned me?


She was bombarded with the memories of her childhood, growing along her beloved teacher.


The gifts Celestia always gave her in her birthdays, the marvelous parties for them she made in the Canterlot ballroom, even when the only guest was the Princess herself.


Her proud smile when Twilight learned a new spell.


How she used to cuddle in the bed together with the big, white alicorn, like how she would cuddle with her own mother.


When Celestia sung her lullabies.

I can endure losing everything... but to lose you...

Despite all the suffering and pain consuming the bottom of her heart, no answer came to her. The heavy weight of not only being betrayed by the one Twilight had placed all her hope, but also,her hopeless lack of answers crushed her on top of her unending suffering.

“Why? Why? Why?” Twilight wailed, pathetically trying to find the answers inside of her head, where she only found even more pain.

The sound of metal being hit started to resound across the silent corridor again. Each time she asked herself why, Twilight slammed her head against the rusted bars wanting to numb the enormous pain coming from her heart.

“Hey, take it easy girl,” a female voice called Twilight, making she stop the self-torture, “you are going to get a bump into that cute, little head of yours.”

The alicorn raised her head, and opened her eyes to look at the corridor outside.

She found a female bat-pony, clad in dark-blue armor. In anticipation of her rule over Equestria and the coming of the Eternal Night, Princess Luna - as Nightmare Moon - cast a powerful spell on her most loyal Guards, transforming them into the Night Guards. The Night Guards proved to be a competent fighting force and were granted full pardons following Nightmare Moon's banishment, forming several Houses from which all modern Night Guards are descended from.

In terms of abilities, the bat-ponies that form the Night Guard are just like the normal pegasi, except that their wings are made of a thick, black leather skin instead of feathers. Their eyes have cat-like pupils, capable of controlling how much light is going to enter, granting them an almost perfect vision in the penumbra. Also, they have an enhanced hearing sense, making them formidable fighters even in total darkness.

The downside is that they simply can’t function during the day. They are all nocturnal creatures.

This one in particular attracted Twilight’s attention. She was a young mare, few years older than the ex-Element of Magic herself. Her fur was dark-gray and she had a very short pale blue mane, which formed a fringe falling from her head, over her right eye. she also had very pointy ears, different from a normal pony ear. Her eyes were an astonishing color of amber, with a fended feline pupil of deep black. She sported very luxurious regalia over her chest, showing she was not a common soldier: This regalia was a huge piece of adorned steel, tinged with a deep dark-blue color and a big jewel, probably a sapphire on the center, over her heart. This jewel was not your average sapphire, seeing how its design resembled an eye.

“C’mon, don’t cry on me like that. I’m not the best with feelings, you know.” The bat-pony gave a kind smile to Twilight.


She spoke just like Rainbow Dash; having a brash and carefree way with words.


“W-who are you?” Twilight breathed, her prudence halting the tears as she eyed the unknown guard warily.


“I’m Midnight Blossom, captain of the first platoon of the Night Guard under Princess’s Selena command.”


Twilight hadn't needed any more explanation from the bat-pony to know what she was talking about.

The first platoon of the Night Guard was known as ‘The Unseen’; ponies with astounding abilities of espionage and stealth and a grim reputation of being Equestria’s assassins...

Princess Selena is Luna’s known name outside of Equestria. It is also considered her ‘archaic’ name, from the time when Nightmare Moon was banished.

Uninterested in anything that the mysterious mare could tell her, Twilight simply turned around and walked slowly towards her bed, “What could an important pony such as you, Captain Blossom, possibly want with a filthy traitor such as me?”

Midnight Blossom smiled. She shuffled one of her wings inside the large saddlebag she brought at one side and picked a small object.

The bat-pony turned her attention back to the mare weeping silently inside the cell, and asked, “Are you familiar with Equestrian myths Miss Sparkle?”

Twilight just nodded.

“Then, I assume I don’t need to tell you what this is.”

Twilight observed as the strange bat-pony rolled inside the cell a small, black object. It kept going forward, until it hit her hind hoof, attracting her attention.

As she looked to it, the purple alicorn found a tiny obsidian stone. Her eyes widened in shock almost immediately.

The Night Guard was known to execute some nasty operations, such as assassinations of enemies and threats to the supremacy of the Two Sisters. But sometimes, those threats came from inside of Equestria itself: Nobles with enough naivety to defy the alicorn supremacy and try to take the throne for themselves, mad criminals trying to abduct the Princesses and use them as tools for bargain, and many other ponies with bad intentions. It was when the ‘The Unseen’ was called.

The chosen assassin was gifted with a small sphere made of obsidian stone, where the cutie mark of the said target was carved using a spell. Once the job was finished, the assassin delivered the stone with his or her own cutie mark carved on the other side back to the monarch who tasked him with the job, this way, the monarch who ordered the assassination could be sure that the job was completed.

Not a single target on the history was able to run from them. ‘The Unseen’ become subject of legend in history books, , but their existence, and the existence of their black stones were very real and known to only a handful of scholars.

Twilight’s hoof trembled. She begged to not see her cutie mark on the other side of that ominous gem... she rolled the obsidian stone to see the hidden face.


But her prayers were in vain.


Carved on the side facing the ground, was a six pointed pink star with five smaller white stars around it.


“Then... you are here to kill me Captain Blossom?” Twilight asked with a sour smile across her face.


“Nope,” the bat-pony answered with a carefree expression.


Twilight’s face twisted in a mix of relief and confusion, “I don’t understand. It is an order from your superiors’ right?”

“That’s the problem Twilight, Celestia’s orders demanded you to be hidden from the public eye until further notice, and kept safe in the dungeon. Suddenly, I wake up with the mail mare giving me a package containing an Obsidian with your cutie mark. I’m sorry, but I’m not a puppet; I know when something smells fishy and this definitely rots!”

“Maybe they changed their plans,” Twilight answered disheartened.

“That’s impossible!” Midnight grunted, “Princess Celestia would never renege on her word. especially regarding a pony’s life.”

“You have your orders Captain Blossom. Just carry them out... believe me or not, you are doing me a favor,” Twilight replied, tears slowly falling on the cold stone floor.


The bat-pony sighed with exasperation. She picked from inside her saddlebag a key using her wing, and motioned it to the locks.


Midnight opened the cell, calmly walked inside, and sat in front of Twilight in the ground.


“Your brother’s name is Shining Armor right?”


The purple alicorn raised her head, and nodded.


“He was the captain of the royal guard before marrying Princess Cadence, the Crystal Empress. We used to go to the same training grounds during his training for night operations. He was a great stallion, a noble warrior, and I must admit, a very cute colt...”


Twilight looked to Midnight Blossom with confusion; she was unable to comprehend what that mare was trying to say.


“He never stopped talking about his little sister! Twilly this and Twilly that, she is the cutest filly in the world, she is a small genius and tons of gibberish about her. Even being darn annoying, I enjoyed having him around, showing all that love for his family.”


“Midnight, why you are telling me those things?”

“Don’t be a hasty filly, let me finish. One night, some diamond dogs robbed a shipping of gems that was going to be sent to Saddle Arabia, as payment for medicine they brought to Canterlot’s hospital. My platoon was assigned to pursue the robbers and retrieve the cargo, some of the Sun Guards who were about to complete their training for night operations were also assigned to come with us. Among them, Shining Armor.”


Suddenly, Midnight Blossom started to take off her regalia and armor, locking gazes with Twilight. The sound of iron hitting the ground echoed inside the small cell.

When her dark-gray fur was completely naked, Twilight could see a nasty scar on her chest, few centimeters from her heart.


“Midnight! That wound-” Twilight gasped.

“An acid arrow enchanted with manticore’s venom... pierces through armor like it’s nothing. The diamond dogs were expecting us and were prepared for a fight. They surrounded my platoon and their leader shot me straight in the heart, but thanks to your brother’s shield spell, the arrow only penetrated slightly.Still made a nasty wound.”

“My brother saved you?”


“Yes. If Shining Armor wasn’t there, I would’ve been done for. I’m not going to harm his sister, just because a higher up ordered me.”


Midnight turned around and picked the obsidian from the floor.


“The order didn’t come from Princess Celestia. We are Luna’s guard, but orders for assassination must come from the sun Goddess, or they can’t be carried out This obsidian came to my house with the royal insignia of Celestia of course, but our most benevolent ruler would never renege on her word I’ve lived under the rules of the Night Guard since the day I was born, and she never failed us.”


“But if it was not her then who sent you the stone?” Twilight asked with curious eyes.

Midnight sighed, “I dunno, But to use the royal insignia of Celestia like this it must be a pony very close to her.”


Twilight shook her head in disbelief, “It does not matter Midnight. If I am to die, let it be. Inside this prison, there’s nothing I can do.”


The room fell silent for some seconds.


“Are you innocent Twilight Princess?”

wilight’s ears perked up, “What did you just call me?”


“Simply answer my question. Are you innocent or not?”


“I am! I know from the bottom of my heart that my friends are still alive somewhere!” Twilight shouted back.


“Then you need to prove it.”


Midnight trotted near Twilight and freed her from all the restraints.


“What are you doing Midnight?” Twilight asked, confused.


The bat-pony answered, “What is right. Come with me.”

Both mares trotted out of the cell. Midnight took in her mouth a huge, stuffed saddle bag that was on the ground near the cell and without a second warning, started to put it around Twilight’s body.


“Midnight, what’s this?”


“Some things you will need if you are going to run away,” she replied.

Twilight gasped in surprise, “You are going to help me escape? But what if one of your superiors discovers you?”

“I’m the captain of ‘The Unseen’ Twilight, believe me, if I want to do something that no pony will ever know, I can do it.”

The huge bag is neatly placed around Twilight’s body. Midnight offered a cape to Twilight with one wing.

“Where are you planning on going? You do realize that they will know you escaped and put a bounty upon your head, right?” The bat-pony inquired.

Twilight shook her head, accepting the black cloth that would conceal her identity, “I need to go see my parents! I need to take them away from Canterlot, from Equestria if possible!”

Midnight winked to Twilight, “Don’t worry. Your brother came this afternoon and took them away before any Equestrian troops could lay a hoof on them. They are safe in the Crystal Empire, because they are out of Equestrian jurisdiction.”

“My brother?” Twilight asked shouting, “you mean my brother already knows about me?”

Midnight nodded, “Half the planet already knows, and only a day passed, news of the rise of a new Goddess spreads like wild fire. Your brother tried to break inside this complex to save you; thank Luna that I was already up and could stop him.”

Twilight covered her wings and back with the black cape, letting just the hood off to finish her conversation with the Night Guard, “Let’s get going.”


Midnight nodded, and both mares started to run through the shady corridors of the prison.


“If you are not going to run away from Equestria immediately where do you plan on going?” The bat-pony asked.


“Everfree Forest. The sooner the better,” Twilight affirmed with determination.

Midnight ended up laughing, “Are you completely insane? Why do you want to go there?”

Twilight moved her head to face the bat-pony straight on the eyes, “One of my best friends is there, and he’s in danger. I need to take him with me at any cost.”


Midnight just smiled in a satisfied manner.


They continued to run non-stop, traversing the vast amounts of cells side to side on that ugly corridor. Twilight’s heart was almost exploding.


Don’t worry Spike, I’m coming for you. I will take this small shard of hope and put everything back in place!

“Wait!” Twilight had a sudden realization, “if we keep going this way, we will end up on the low-level dungeon! There will be a ton of guards.”


“Hey! Dontcha you trust this knight here?”


The bat-pony stopped near a wall. She pressed a stone, activating a hidden passage.

“I never thought about hidden passages on the castle!” Twilight observed impressed.

You don’t know about half of the secrets this place houses. Now exit through here, and try to not run or act suspiciously. It is already late at night, and all the Night Guard is at Shady Trough, a nightclub.”


“Midnight what about you?”


“I can’t go with you right now. I need to stay here and discover what is happening with this country and why the ponies I lived all my life believing in were going to sacrifice an innocent.”

Twilight gave Midnight a tender smile, and passing a hoof around her neck, she hugged the bat pony.

“I hope to someday be able to thank you enough Captain Blossom,” Twilight whispered.

“Stay alive and clear your name. That’s enough for me,” the bat-pony’s cheeks flushed a little.


They broke from their hug, and Twilight put on the hood that almost covered her entire face. The alicorn trotted out of the prison, and the stone walls closed right after...


Two hours later, some soldiers from the Sun Guard, Celestia’s most trusted knights, were assembling at the gardens to meet with their Goddess while she raised the sun, as they did every morning.

The chalk-white pegasi clad in golden armor were lined up at one side, while the bulky dark-gray earth ponies also sporting the characteristic armor formed another line on the other side.

From one of the gates leading to the inner parts of the castle, two ponies wearing a more intricate set of golden armor trotted out. One was a pegasus mare with chalk-white fur, a very short spiky red mane, a short red tail looking nothing like a mare’s tail, and aqua green eyes. Her armor consisted of a heavy golden mail that protected most of her chest and back, and a very long chain-mail under it, hanging down to the middle of her limbs. She also used a golden set of regalia over her hooves.

The other one was a pegasus stallion. He had a long, straight blonde mane and tail, pristine chalk-white fur and sapphire-blue eyes. His armor was composed of a long golden plate protecting his neck, and a beautiful regalia covering his back and chest, where a small piece resembling a shield rested, with a big blue five pointed star adorning it.


Both guards trotted through the corridor of stallions, each one of them saluted the two as they passed.

“I scored one thousand at yesterday’s battle simulator!” The mare shouted excited, “Better be ready Cloud Skipper, I will take your record down soon!”

“I believe you Pussywillow, you don’t need to shout,” he paused to yawn, “It is so early in the morning, Celestia hasn’t even raised the sun yet.”


As they reached a big, double door with a sun designed over it, both ponies sat on the ground, one at each side. It looked like every movement was rehearsed to happen in that exact orderly form.

The huge doors opened...


“We salute thee, O brightest star of the morning. Long live to the Princess of the Sun!” They shouted together in perfect unison.


But the pony who trotted out was none other than Princess Luna.


“P-princess Selena?” Cloud Skipper yelled in surprise.


Luna looked to him with a cold stare, “Indeed.”

Pussywillow stood up, “Princess Selena, you should be in your chambers at this time of the day, right?”


The dark-blue alicorn ignored the pair and started to trot towards the center of the garden, explaining.


“My sister, Princess Celestia is ill. She will not raise the sun this morning. I shall take the task until she gets better.”


Both captains followed the night ruler to the place where Celestia used her powerful spell to bring the day to all the land. It was a huge circle made of ivory-white marble on the ground, in which a Equestrian’s crest was engraved.

The alicorn stood over it, looking to the horizon. From there, she had the perfect vision of the faraway mountains that encircled the country. The sky was still dark-blue and starry...


“What happened to Princess Celestia, Princess Selena?” The blonde stallion insisted, showing legitimate worry over the sun Goddess.


“It is too soon to tell Commander Skipper. I would like to ask of you for some secrecy on the subject.”


Luna voice also showed worry, and a little bit of sadness. Even so, Cloud Skipper looked with an uncomfortable gaze to the ruler.

“We shall oblige my liege,” Pussywillow said and bowed down.


Luna sharply inhaled some air, and closed her eyes. She stretched her wings to the sides and started to send her magic into her horn. The entire body of the powerful alicorn glowed with a pale white light, and the tip of her horn burst with a blinding light of same color.


After all the knights recovered their visions, it was there on the horizon: the magnificent sun, painting the sky into a beautiful purple and orange efulgecency.


Luna sighed, and slowly opened her eyes, looking to the sun with a sad gaze.


“It’s pretty amazing seeing you raising the sun Princess Selena,” Pussywillow smiled awkwardly.


“What’s so impressive Captain Pussywillow?” The alicorn turned to her, “my sister moved both the sun and the moon for a thousand of years during my exile, it is only natural that I’m capable of doing the same.”


The mare started to sweat nervously, “It’s not what I meant my liege! It’s because-”

“If you’ll excuse me Captain, I must retire to my chambers, I want to have at least some rest before attending to my duties as Equestria’s ruler.”


The Princess of the Night trotted back to the door from where she came.


Pussywillow sighed, “I thought I was done for. Even her being such a sweet Princess, something in her still scares me.”

“Maybe because you are such a scaredy cat during Nightmare Night? She is Nightmare Moon after all,” Cloud Skipper answered, grimacing.

“I-I’m not a scaredy cat!” Pussywillow cheeks flushed, and she stammered, “Besides, don’t forget to never talk about Nightmare Moon near Princess Luna, she still resents that event.”

“Yeah, you don’t need to remind me about that…”

Pussywillow raised an eyebrow, noticing something wrong with the commander.

“Are you feeling well Skipper?”

Cloud Skipper kept looking at the door from where the alicorn passed, spacing out completely.

“Hey, can you come down from the clouds?” The mare shouted, trying her best to regain his attention.


“Yes, I’m feeling fine don’t worry Pussywillow,” he snorted, eyes still locked at the adorned door.

“Then why you are still looking at the door? Is there something wrong with the Princess?”

The stallion turned around, and almost ignoring Pussywillow, he started to walk back to the entrance where they had entered the garden.

“C’mon Skipper! What’s gotten into you?” The mare followed him, her expression showing worry.

Cloud Skipper sighed with exasperation, and looked to her with a very serious frown, “I don’t like where this is going Pussywillow. You remember that I like to hang out at the Shady Trough when I have some free time right?”

The mare simply nodded.

“Yesterday I went there. The strange thing is that almost half of the Night Guard were amiss, and some of the guys that weren’t there always hang out at that bar.”

Pussywillow raised an eyebrow, “What’s strange about that? Guards can have assignments to complete. Maybe they were just too busy to go to Shady Trough yesterday.”

“You are half correct my dear. What scares me is not the fact that they were amiss, but is the amount of soldiers that weren’t there. Of course, I went on and checked some schedules and, believe me or not, some were supposed to be assigned with important requests out of Equestria, like protecting incoming cargo or scouting politicians.”

The mare face twisted in a frown, “Well, the only occasion when the Princesses cancel those types of requests and assemble all the troops is when we are under a war situation.”

Cloud Skipper laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Pussywillow shouted, angered.

“Once again you are half correct, filly. There’s another situation when the Princesses can call out all the troops to assemble at the castle. It’s when a class S prisoner is being brought to Canterlot Palace for interrogation and confinement into the Deep Level Dungeon.”

The red-headed pegasus sighed, “How you are able to memorize all those rules and textbooks?”

“Unlike you, I wasn’t born in a noble family. I had to study hard to enter the military and get promotions.”

“Ah, yes I forgot all about it.” The mare rolled her eyes around, bored.

“Anyway, I think that this scenario is the one with higher chances of being true.”

“Then, you are saying that a really terrible prisoner was brought by half of the Night Guard yesterday to Canterlot?”


The stallion nodded, “We already know that the Elements of Harmony prevented the invasion from Tambelon two days ago. A war situation is very unlikely.”

Pussywillow led a hoof to her chin, rubbing it, “Maybe the bad pony who they transported here was somepony from Grogar’s army?”

“I’m not a magic expert, but if I remember correctly Grogar was bound to his city and army due to the pact they made with the Bell of Tartarus. If he was banished again, then his army went with him.”

“Impressive. You are the nerdy type Skipper, I never knew.”

Cloud Skipper’s cheeks flushed with bright red, easily spotted through his chalk-white coat.

“I like spend my free time reading! It’s important for a knight to be at the peak of his physical and mental abilities!”

“Are you sure?” Pussywillow giggled, “I thought you just liked to go to Ponyville’s library to see that mare, Twilight Sparkle.”

“No! Of course not!” he turned his gaze away from the pegasus mare, even more embarrassed.

Pussywillow giggled, and kept on rambling, “Let’s not run away from the subject. If the big bad pony that came here yesterday wasn’t a ram from Grogar’s army, then who was it?”

Cloud Skipper serious frown returned, “Do you remember about any suspicious rumors running around Canterlot recently?”

“You mean that absurd story about a ‘Twilight Princess’ we heard from the barman some hours after the state of emergency due to Grogar’s return was called off?” Pussywillow raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

The stallion simply nodded.

Cloud Skipper cleared his throat, “The Twilight Princess. Risen from the path of dawn to bring an end to the era of the Two Sisters and spread across the planet the ultimate eon of harmony and prosperity. However, her road will be filled with thorns and she will appear as a monster, clad in a terrible cloud of fear.”

“Are you hearing yourself? That’s just preposterous!” Pussywillow laughed.

“I know. Sounds like a kid’s tale,” the stallion concluded.

“Then why are you bringing that up?”

Cloud Skipper closed his eyes and started to recite the legend again, “A shining tower of light shall appear on the far away horizon, announcing her coming. Everypony on the land will throw rotten fruits against her and call her a murderer.”

Pussywillow stared blankly at him for some seconds and then raised an eyebrow asking, “The unicorns from the army said that the tower of light we saw two days ago was produced by the Elements of Harmony’s power banishing Grogar right?”

“Alicorns can’t get ill…”

Pussywillow’s heart skipped a beat.

“I have served the army for all my life, and my mother before me, and her father before her. Celestia never got ill for over a thousand of years, and now she’s suddenly struck with a disease that is halting her from raising the sun. That’s just too convenient.”

Without uttering any other word, Cloud Skipper entered the doors and disappeared in the darkness, leaving a disheartened red-headed mare behind, lost in her own thoughts.

Are you saying that the legend of the Twilight Princess is real and the Two Sisters are afraid of her?


A wooden door slid open, revealing a train-career brown furred stallion.

“The first train to Ponyville’s station will reach in some minutes mistress, would you please wait at the platform?”

Inside the small cabin, he found just a single pony, covered in a very long black coat, hiding her face beneath a hood.

Twilight moved her eyes, hiding under the hood she was wearing, “Of course, thank you for being so kind.”

She disembarked at Ponyville’s station. It was very early in the morning, and she made sure to be the only pony inside that train, and the only one at the platform.

Taking the train was a very bold course of action, but it was the fastest. With Spike’s life at stake, Twilight was not thinking about risk.

The purple alicorn scanned around her surroundings intently. No known or unknown faces were around, lucky that Ponyville’s station is not always bustling with activity, let alone so early in the morning.

She was unable to avoid the memories of traveling to all kinds of places, like Appleloosa or the Crystal Empire. Memories of happier days seemed like a far away ilusion, bringing sorrow to her wounded heart.

Twilight smiled weakly.

It wasn’t time to reminisce, she had to find Spike.

From the station, she had two options: One was to follow the train’s rails, circling Ponyville and avoiding being spotted by anypony, the other was go through the town and take on the risk of bumping into a familiar face. She chooses the first, just to be sure…


It was a lonely way following the rails.

Ponyville had already disappeared from her field of view, and Twilight was encircled by the wild. It didn’t take too long for her to finally spot the menacing forest that everypony feared.

The sky was still enveloped by the fresh orange color of a new morning. Something in that brief moment when day and night met, gave Twilight a soothing sensation, as if something whispered to her that everything was going to be alright.

More minutes walking, and she could finally gaze upon the ominous trees of dark-green leafs and the thick vegetation.

Without a second thought, Twilight trotted inside, her face being constantly bashed by plants.

I wish I never had to enter this dreaded place again. Not after losing everything here…

Twilight thought that she could push any resentment aside and focus on the task. She was wrong.

Being inside the forest stung her heart with cruelty The screams of her friends before everything went white during the struggle in Tambelon seemed to echo in her head, as if hey were coming from the trees around her…

It didn’t take long before she finally ended up in a trail. The light of the sun completely blocked by the trees, the constant noise of insects and animals resounding on her ears, the creepy atmosphere…

Everything that makes Everfree Forest, the place that everypony hates.

Twilight just had to find Spike. It was going to be easy, or so she wished to believe.

I don’t even know how I should start looking! I don’t have magic, and I don’t know how to fly, this place is not even mapped! What am I supposed to do?

A sound called her attention. Being on the edge helped the mare to become quite audible aware, and she managed to hide behind a bush before anything could spot her.

In few minutes, a pair of heavily armored stallions came turning the trail and entered her field of vision. The stallions were pulling a big wooden wagon somewhere.

They are wearing the Sun Guard’s armor! What are Princess Celestia’s guards doing in the Everfree? I don’t know if I should, but maybe following them could give me hints to find Spike…

Taking care to keep out of their hearing range, Twilight followed the stallions.

After several minutes of walking among the thick vegetation, Twilight glanced upon a huge opening in the middle of the forest. It wasn’t the same opening made by Tambelon, but a lot of unicorns were used to remove enough trees to open it.

Before her eyes, a big military encampment appeared. Several guards clad in golden armor, from all the different species trotted side to side in a frantic march, organizing everything, from the preparation of huge barracks to unloading of weapons from big wagons.

What’s this? Why there is a military camp here?

From inside a barrack, a pegasus mare trotted out. She was white-cream furred, sported a short black mane and her long black tail was tied at the tip. She had brown eyes, and was wearing a golden armor, composed of a long golden cloth that flowed down at both sides of her body, a heavy piece of golden metal protecting her chest with a small neck piece, and a chain mail below it.

Slowly, she walked towards the two stallions pulling the wagon, and yelled at them, giving orders, “You two are both late! Expect fewer rations tonight! This is the first day of this siege and you two are already giving me a hard time!”

“We are sorry Commander Wild Fire, but navigating inside the Everfree is really difficult,” one of them tried to reason, “we got a little lost with the map-“

“Shut up!” Wild Fire shouted, angered, “I don’t want to hear any excuses! We already detected parties from both the Crystal Empire and from Concordia around this forest, meaning that an invasion from them is at hand. They are probably here to find the Twilight Princess and use her as a weapon to threaten Equestria! We cannot allow it!”

The stallions stared blankly to the pegasus.

“Get those weapons at their respective places and join the patrols! We need to find the Concordian pony that still is in the forest and capture him!”

Luckily for her, Twilight was hidden near enough to hear every detail of their conversation. She didn’t get any tips about Spike’s location, but something about the words ‘Twilight Princess’ was pestering her.

She had to move out or she could be discovered, but the huge encampment covered almost any possible route, Twilight’s only option was to go back and circle it.

“The Twilight Princess…” Wild Fire breathed, and picked a small purple scale from inside her armor, using a wing

.

Twilight’s eyes shot open upon seeing it. It was one of Spike’s scales!

Reason and emotion are always fighting. This was no strange subject for a renowned scholar such as Twilight. However, even a brilliant mind can easily be defeated by her raging emotions.

“Where’s Spike?” Twilight shouted, leaping from her hiding place and right in front of Wild Fire.

The Sun Guard stared at her, mouth agape, eyes wide open in shock.

“I asked where Spike is! Please answer my question!” Twilight insisted.

“Who the hay are you?” The cream furred pegasus still was unable to believe what her eyes showed her.

Some guards near trotted hastily towards the commander, pointing spears and swords to the mysterious pony that appeared out of nowhere.

Before they could launch any type of attack, Wild Fire raised a hoof, signaling them to halt their advance.

Twilight hooves trembled.

She could die right there, but it wasn’t time to hide or cower anymore. Spike’s life was at stake, and she was going to do anything to save him.

The purple mare threw the coat to the side, revealing her identity.

“I’m Twilight Sparkle! Where’s my friend, Commander Wild Fire? Please, answer me!”

The sound of gasps and curses was heard across the crowd of armed ponies. Nopony could believe their eyes, let alone Wild Fire who kept looking to Twilight with a dropped jaw.

“The traitor! The ‘Twilight Princess’!” Wild Fire yelled, her face twisting into an enraged expression.

Twilight eyes watered up, “Where’s Spike?”

The commander took a large crossbow that was resting near a wagon close to her, and aimed at Twilight, “I don’t know how you managed to escape from the Deep Level, but you are not going anywhere right now!”

“I’m not going anywhere unless you tell me where my friend is !”

Without any mercy, Wild Fire shot the arrow. Twilight managed to see when the trigger was pressed, and evaded the bolt by rolling to the side, still the arrow passed millimeters from her face, causing a deep cut against her cheek.

The alicorn quickly stood up enraged, she screamed at Wild Fire, “Where did you get that scale?”

The pony gazed upon Twilight with disgust in the eyes, “It fell in the ground when we brought him here. I heard from my master that dragon’s scales are good luck charms in the battlefield, so I took this one with me.”

“So you know where my friend is?”

Twilight was already crying, unable to control her emotions.

“No. I just hope that the older dragons have devoured him!”

She gasped, and then closed her eyes. She could feel an enormous amount of rage building up inside of her, as the thoughts of Spike being tortured and hurt by the older dragons invaded her frail mind.

Tell me where he is you… whorse!

Twilight shot open her eyes, but they were different. The sclera coloration had changed to a sick green, and a strange mist flowed from them to the sides, forming two long dark-purple lines, her irises were red with fended pupils.

A beam of deep black coloration is shot from the tip of Twilight’s horn, and nailed the commander straight in the chest, throwing her some meters away.

The purple alicorn shook her head, doing her best to take control of her emotions once again. All the knights near her were still amazed by the demonstration of sheer might, looking with dropped jaws to the alicorn.

With difficulty, Wild Fire got back on her hooves, and immediately ordered her subordinates, “Kill the traitor!”

Twilight recovered just in time to jump out of the way from a thrusting spear coming straight to her.

A flying pegasus tried to hit her in the air with a sword right after she jumped, but she managed to flap her wings and launched herself to the side, crashing into the ground.

Twilight’s reaction was to stand up as fast as she could before being pushed any further and run along the trail where the stallions came from. She knew that Wild Fire wasn’t going to give her any answers, and she had to survive to save her friend.

Several knights chased after her.


Twilight was running again.

However, this time from three armed pegasus guards, ready to kill her without mercy.

She constantly asked herself what she could have possibly done to deserve that.

The trail cutting through the heart of the Everfree Forest never seemed as ominous and creepy as it was now . It was not like she had the time to look around anyway.

Run.

Run faster.

It was the only things she could concentrate on doing.

To where? She didn’t know, but surely away from her flying stalkers.

Twilight had to stay alive or Spike was going to suffer because of her. Dying like a complete failure was out of the question.

During her stroll, she saw some arrows being shot at her sides, none of them hitting her, thank Celestia.

As the chase proceeded through the trail, Twilight started to think how pointless it was. She was faster than her stalkers, but not enough to lose them, although, they would never really be able to reach her.

They could keep running forever, or at least, until they could corner her.

After more minutes of a crazy chase, Twilight’s ears perked up. She heard the sound of water…

The alicorn jumped out of the thick vegetation in front of her and fell right in the margin of a large river. Without wings or magic, it was impossible to cross.

Twilight felt fear.

She thought about crying, but tears weren’t going to save her. She had to fight them, somehow. The purple alicorn turned around and looked up to the small hill that she had jumped from.

In the next second, three pegasus knights flew right through the bushes, landing and surrounding her on the ground. They were just leading Twilight here the whole time…

The knights prepared their spears to attack. Twilight knew it was over for her.

However, all the ponies froze in place when they heard the sound of wings ruffling nearby. The knights turned their attention back to the small hill.

“You guys already gave up on finding me to chase that filly? Oh, C’mon! I know I’m a juicy bounty.”

A loud, noisy and raspy voice yelled at them.

From her speaking pattern, mannerism, and over confidence, Twilight thought she was looking at Rainbow Dash for a moment.

However, the mare standing atop the cliff was different. She had light-pink fur, a completely messy mane, very similar to Rainbow Dash’s mane, of a deep purple color, and her tail was just as messy as, bearing the same coloration. She was as tall as Twilight, and wore a beautifully crafted armor. Her big, pink wings were stretched proudly upwards, and a smile was plastered across her muzzle, while she looked with determination to the pack of knights below with her purple irises.

“The Concordian!” One of the knights shouted, fear in his voice.

“T-that’s the Concord Flame!” Another knight shouted, even more frightened.

“You two, don’t dare fall behind! We have orders to bring both the Concordian and the Twilight Princess to Commander Wild Fire!”

“Are you kidding? She’s the undefeated Princess of Concordia who won a war against Griffonia! We don’t stand a chance…”

Without a second thought, the pegasus who ordered his companions to remain in their grounds pushed a crossbow from his back and shot an arrow against the pink pegasus.

The mare evaded to the side, but the bolt scratched her left wing, causing a small cut…

“If she can bleed, she can be defeated,” the knight affirmed, preparing his spear again.

Lost in the middle of that scene, Twilight only continued to stare blankly at the pink pegasus.

Princess of Concordia? War against Griffonia? What those guys are talking about? Those things aren’t in any books I ever read!

Quickly, the pegasus flew from where he was towards the mysterious mare and applied a strike with his spear. With unearthly alacrity, she dodged to the side, and took the handle in her mouth, firmly halting the pegasus in place.

The pink pegasus moved her neck in an arc, spinning the opponent along with his weapon and striking his body against a tree, with enough force to break his armor and cause some serious damage.

Another knight took off, and trying to take advantage of her moment fighting against his companion, he flew over the mare and stabbed her with his spear from above. The mare activated a strange contraption in the regalia she was wearing on both forehooves and two pairs of gray blades protruded from them menacingly.

With a single movement, the mare clashed the blades on her right hoof against the tip of his spear, changing the course of his attack. The absurd amount of strength produced sparks in the place where metal collided against metal.

Twilight marveled at the scene.

That’s preposterous! She’s a pegasus mare, she can’t be so strong! Unless she’s not a pegasus mare… but if that’s the case, then what the hay is she?

The knight landed, and quickly turned around, taking his spear on his mouth and sweeping the weapon in the mare’s direction, which she blocked using her left claw.

“I like how you Equestrians fight! Someday, I wish to meet with your Master of Arms, and give him a good hoof bump. It’s rare even among other nations to find soldiers that face defeat and keep going without any doubt.”

She deactivated the blades, applying a punch against the knight’s chest strong enough to throw him several meters away. It was as if the soldier was bucked on the chest by Applejack.

Before the supposed princess was able to breathe alleviated, the last knight was already behind her, pointing the tip of his spear to her neck.

“It’s over Concord Flame! You lose!”

“I’m sorry, but I have to disagree…”

Her eyes flared with an orange color, almost like if they had started to burn with powerful flames. In one second, the pink pegasus was there at the mercy of that knight, in the next, she was behind him pointing one of the blades from her hooves to his neck.

“What kind of mockery is that?” The knight yelled, trying to understand what have happened.

Twilight had the same reaction. She was unable to comprehend what her eyes just showed her.

The Concord Flame was puffy and drops of sweat were appearing on her forehead, showing that whatever strange power she used, it wasn’t easy for her stamina.

“Extreme Speed,” she said while struggling to recover her breath, “It’s a technique that only few pegasus ponies are able to obtain after intense training. I was the one who created it, and I can only use it once in a day. For a second, I can fly at the same speed as light…”

The purple alicorn gulped.

That’s absurd! There’s no way a pony can move at the same speed as light!

“That’s impossible!” The knight shouted, frightened.

“Well, then feel free to believe in whatever you wish to explain how I’m the one pointing my weapon to your throat,” she snorted, “drop your spear and turn around.”

Without any other options left, the knight threw his spear to the ground, and turned around slowly, looking to the pink mare with rage in the eyes.

“You are going to regret this day Concordian! I pray to Celestia that the Twilight Princess is going destroy you all!”

She lowered her head, smiling sheepish, “Believe me, that filly should be the least of your worries Equestrian. Besides, I don’t pray to your Celestia anyway.”

The pink pegasus planted a strong punch against his belly, making the knight spurt a cloud of blood and fall to the side unconscious.

With the problem solved, the mysterious mare turned around to face Twilight.

“I hope you are alright filly,” she shouted from above, looking to the purple alicorn with a smile on the lips.

Twilight nodded.

The pink mare flew from the small hill, landing right in front of Twilight, “C’mon, let’s get past this river and have some more space to chat. I don’t like the feeling of having even more Equestrians chasing after me.”

“I can’t fly…” Twilight whispered.

“I know!” The pegasus smiled, “Come, lean on my neck, I will give you a ride.”

“Tell me why you are helping me first.”

“Because you are the only reason I came here in the first place.”


The pink pegasus led Twilight to another opening in the forest, away from the river, and hopefully, away from any knights trying to kill them.

She landed, and pointed to a trail right next to them, “Let’s get going, this trail will take us out of this forest and to Dodge Junction, where you can take a train and flee from Equestria. As long as you stay in this country you are-“

“Shut up!”

Twilight shouted, two huge trails of tears flowing from her eyes.

“What’s wrong filly?” The mare asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t… I don’t know anything you are talking about! I’m scared!”

Twilight’s body was shaking as if she was in the middle of a ice storm without any garment.

She was in panic.

The Concord Flame sighed, “Yeah… maybe you are right. Here, let me introduce myself!”

She placed a hoof above Twilight’s shoulder, “My name is Princess Stella, but you can call me Firefly!”

Twilight moved her eyes full of doubt to her smiling visage, “P-Princess?”

“I’m not an Equestrian, filly. I come from Concordia, a kingdom far to the south-east of Equestria.”

“B-but that’s impossible! You are a p-pony! I never heard about any other pony nations besides Equestria!”

Firefly sighed again, “That’s because Celestia don’t want you, or anypony in this country to know.”

Twilight lowered her head, feeling a heavy burden being placed upon her shoulders. Grogar’s words once again boomed inside her head: Her beloved teacher really was lying to an entire country for more than a thousand of years.

“Well,” Firefly breathed, sitting down, “Are you up for a small history class?”

“It’s going to help my head stop from spinning?” Twilight asked with a pained smile.

The pink pegasus laughed, “Maybe!”

“Then you can start whenever you wish.” Twilight said, sitting down too.

“Besides Equestria, there are four more pony nations. They are; The Crystal Empire, Henosis, Concordia, and The Black Islands. Each of those kingdoms are governed by their own Princesses.”

“Why does Celestia want to avoid contact and even public knowledge of your kingdoms?”

“Well, that’s because we are a bunch of bastards. Do you know what we call Equestria, filly?”

Twilight shook her head in denial.

“Edenia, the Promised Land. A land made of happiness and harmony, where no pony suffers. Equestria is Celestia and Luna’s utopia made real, and the most powerful kingdom out of the five nations. When they founded this place, after their wars against many enemies that were trying to bring destruction upon ponykind, the Two Sisters choose just a few ponies to come to Equestria and help them build the perfect country.”

“Are you telling me that the legend of the Heart’s Warming Eve is another lie?”

“No!” Firefly raised a hoof and shook it, “Hey, we celebrate it too! That holiday is an exaggeration of a historical event, but I think I’ll save it for another class.”

“Alright, please proceed.” Twilight nodded.

“Nations like Concordia, my country, never fit in Celestia and Luna’s view of a peaceful place, where war cannot exist. Thus, to avoid knowledge of warfare contaminating future generations, they closed all the borders and hid any historical record about the other four nations, making all their subjects believe that the only place inhabited by ponies was Equestria.”

“But we have direct and close political relationships with the Crystal Empire!”

“The Crystal Empire is nothing but a puppet in the hooves of Equestria. You don’t know how hard is for them up there on the Frozen North to grow crops and produce food for all their population, due to the harsh climate. Equestria gives them all the supplies they need to not starve to death, and the Crystal Ponies donate juicy amounts of gems and weapons back to Equestria. Still, if they ever try to rebel, Equestria can easily crush them by starving them of food, so Celestia and Luna just made the Crystal Empress, Cadence, play their game of never giving her subjects any information about the existence of other nations.”

Twilight lowered her head in shame, “The way you talk about my country… you made my Princesses looks like tyrants.”

“Sorry if I’m being too rash, filly. The truth is that the Two Sisters are just too kind. Didn’t you ever ask yourself why everything in Equestria is controlled?”

“Not really.”

“With their strict control over so many things, like the climate, the sun and the moon, the knowledge that can be shared amongst the population, Celestia and Luna were able to save so many ponies from the world outside. At this point, I believe you already saw a few things right? Like changelings, adult dragons, windigos, so many creatures that could easily wipe away a country. Well, all those things are rare inside Equestria, thanks to the Two Sisters efforts to keep harmony as the pillar of their society. The problem is that with this, comes a few sacrifices…”

Twilight looked to her again, “Like keeping us blindfolded about the world around us?”

“Yup, a strong light can blind you as much as the deepest darkness. The fact is that Equestria

survived, and is doing pretty well without the hoofs of anything from outside.”

“This still does not explain why I’m their enemy, just because I’m an alicorn now…”

The pink pegasus smiled, “That’s because an alicorn is born to rule Twilight.”

“How do you know my name?” Twilight grunted.

“I’ve told you, I came to Equestria to find you, and to help you find your way.”

“Why?”

“That’s your destiny. I’m here to enable you to go search for it.”

Twilight stomped both forehooves on the ground, furious, “This isn’t my destiny! It can’t be! My destiny was to stay in Ponyville with my friends researching magic for my Princess! I don’t want to be an alicorn, and I don’t want to be a ruler! I don’t want to fight against the ponies I love and bear this pain of feeling like a murderer!”

Firefly laughed, “Wishful thinking alone can’t get you very far, filly.”

“Then, can you tell me what my destiny is?” Twilight shouted, her breath had accelerated, and she was noticeably angry.

The pegasus looked to her for some seconds without saying a single word.

“No,” Firefly breathed, “but I can help you find it, if you are willing to take the thorny road ahead of you. Or, you can choose to give up on your life and die ignorant to everything, it’s your choice.”

It was Twilight’s turn to wait for some seconds in silence.

“I… want to help my friends. I want to find them, and prove to myself that they are alive. I want to undo all this madness! That’s the way I choose!”

Firefly opened a large smile.

“You will need some help to do it filly, believe me. You have become an alicorn, but you don’t seem to know how to use your powers yet, I can give you a hoof with that.”

Twilight frowned with confusion, “How? You are a pegasus, right?”

Firefly laughed out loud.

“I’m Princess Stella, remember? I’m an alicorn, just like you.”

“If you are an alicorn, where’s your horn?”

“That’s an old story but…”

The pink mare used a fore hoof to move her purple mane out of the way, showing to Twilight the top of her head. There, the purple alicorn found what looked like the remnants of a severed horn.

“As you can see, I lost mine.”

Twilight gasped in surprise, “By Celestia! What happened to you Firefly?”

“Let’s leave it to another class too, Twilight.” She hid the severed horn again with her mane.

“How you can help me?” The purple alicorn asked curious.

“What do you want to learn about your new condition? Do you want to learn about magic? Maybe you want some flight lessons? Want to find a way to master your superior strength? I’m not a scholar, but I’m older than Celestia and Luna and I’ve been an alicorn for all my life training to use my skills to protect my people.”

“Magic.” Twilight said without thinking twice.

“Of course it was going to be magic, you were a unicorn before ascending right?”

Twilight nodded, “Yes, and magic was my special talent, but I lost all my magic when I was turned into an alicorn. Except…”

“What is it filly, something happened?”

Well, earlier today when I found the Equestrian defense line deeper in the forest, I was confronted by a Commander called Wild Fire. She tried to hurt me, and I’m almost sure that I managed to hit her with a spell but I don’t remember how I did it.”

Firefly rubbed her chin, “Do you remember what you were feeling when you hit her?”

“Anger. I was furious; I wished to make her vanish from the map!”

“Whoa! Take it easy filly! Anger is bad for you and for your new condition. It leads you to the darkness of your heart, and you can sink inside of it and end up like…”

Firefly paused to sigh, “Nightmare Moon.”

A cold chill run through Twilight’s spine, as the memories about her duel against Luna’s dark side came to her mind.

“What’s the difference between alicorn magic and unicorn magic?” Twilight asked, shoving the thoughts about the pitch-black alicorn to the bowels of her memory.

“It’s a whole new world Twilight. Unicorn magic is propelled by thoughts. You wish for something, like rising a cup of tea to your mouth, and bingo, the magic inside of you manifests through your horn and does the trick, obeying what your brain asked it to do. That’s why all unicorns,

eventually in their lives, learn a spell or two; it’s like learning how to walk, your body makes it happen as it grows.”

“Ok I got it, but what about alicorn magic?”

Firefly motioned a hoof to her chest and pointed to her heart.

“It uses the feelings. Just thinking about what you want is not enough to manifest your magic power; you need to feel what you desire in order to make it happen.”

Twilight rubbed her chin with a hoof, “That must explain why I’m unable to cast anything. I’m trying to channel my power using the wrong means.”

“Yup, you are correct.”

“Why does this difference exist?”

“Alicorn magic is way more powerful than unicorn magic. What about raising the sun? Or moving the stars and the moon from place? Do you think that a single unicorn can execute any of those tricks?”

Twilight sighed, “Of course they can’t. “

“Feelings are much more intense than reason Twilight. Alicorns are able to channel their feelings through their horns, putting their very souls into their spells, and perform such absurd tasks. However, feelings are also much harder to control than thoughts; you can lie to yourself, but can you lie to your heart?”

“I don’t think so. Deep inside you knows the truth despite your efforts to say otherwise.”

Firefly smiled proudly, “Hey, you are a quick learner! I’m starting to see why Celestia took you as student.”


“Can we please focus on the lesson Princess Stella? “

“Sorry! I will bite my tongue before saying anything about your old life again. Alright, now you understand the concept, let’s try doing some magic!”

The pink mare picked a stone from the ground, and threw it at Twilight’s feet.

“If you were going to lift this stone, without using your magic, how’re were going to do it?”

Twilight’s face twisted in a frown due to the strange question. Was her teacher mocking her, or doing some prank question?

“I would use my mouth?”

“Are you asking or answering filly? Go ahead and do it!”

Still confused, Twilight lowered her body and picked the stone with her teeth, lifting it.

“Wait.”

Twilight froze in place.

“When you took the stone, what were you feeling?”

The purple mare stopped to try and think of a good answer, releasing the rock from her mouth, “Nothing in particular.”

“Are you sure? When you were involving the stone with your teeth, did you kindly put them around the rock, or did you bite it with crushing strength?”

“Of course it was with kindness! If I forced the stone against them, it would hurt me.”

Instead of answering, Firefly just smiled, leaving Twilight to ponder by herself.

“You mean I felt kindness?”

“Kindness is a powerful force, believe me. It is the power that makes everything move, like music flowing through the air, with harmony and peace. If you force your will against something, you just create imbalance, and anything that could be moved, will try to resist. Kindness is like a key to almost everything.

“Then, I need to feel kindness to cast telekinesis? I need to focus upon it, and make it not only flow through me, but project it into the objects I want to move?”

“Go ahead and try Twilight.”

The purple mare nodded. She was kind of nervous; it was like becoming an insecure filly again, trying to impress her teacher with the most basic of all spells.

Kindness, I need to pour kindness inside of me and make it flow through the rock.

She continued to focus on the stone, looking to it intently.

How am I supposed to do it actually? Should I feel empathy for the stone or something like that? But that’s just a rock!

The purple mare sighed internally.

Why I’m thinking so much? I was supposed to feel my magic, not think about it like Princess Stella said! Still, it is so hard to feel kindness towards a silly rock.

Some sweat was already rolling down her forehead, thanks to all her efforts to keep focused on the stone and ignore anything around her.

Fluttershy always felt empathy for everything around her, animals or plants. Maybe she could pass this test easier than me…

Twilight’s thoughts jumped out in a tangent.

“Fluttershy… maybe you can help me right now my friend.”

The purple mare raised her body, sitting back in the ground. She closed her eyes and emptied her mind of anything else, besides some precious memories containing the butter pegasus. Fluttershy’s kind visage smiled to Twilight in her thoughts…

Her horn flared, and a light formed around her like an aura, enveloping Twilight’s body in a soothing shine, in the shape of a pink butterfly, akin to Fluttershy’s cutie mark.

Slowly, not only the stone that Firefly threw her started to float around, but many others got enveloped in her pink magic grasp, and joined the first one in their rise to the air.

Princess Stella looked, astonished, at all the small rocks floating around Twilight.

She has an impressive latent magic power! It’s stronger than Rosetta’s first magic surge, and she is just practicing some telekinesis!

“Hey, filly! Open your eyes, you made it,” Firefly called.

Broken from her concentration, Twilight shot her eyes open, and all the rocks except the one she was focused to, fell to the ground suddenly.

The purple mare observed the small stone floating in front of her and smiled with a determined look on her eyes.

“I really did it!”

“Yup, congratulations, it’s still weak, but now that you know the drill, you can practice and improve. You will be lifting huge boulders bigger than your body in no time.”

The pink mare rose from the ground, and stretched her wings.

“P-Princess Stella?” Twilight called her, stammering.

“I need to go back to my country filly. My liege needs me there.”

“I was going to ask you to help me with some more spells.”

“I’m sorry Twilight. I can’t stay in Equestria any longer with the news of the Twilight Princess escaping about to blow through the world. You are the eye of the storm, but after meeting you, I don’t have any fear. I just know that you are going to become a great ruler someday Twilight…”

“Thank you.”

“Just stay strong on your way and never give up on hope. By the way, where you are planning on going?”

“I know you risked your life to save me Princess Stella, but my friend Spike is somewhere here in this forest, and I need to find him before anything bad happens.”

Firefly giggled, “If you are talking about the small baby dragon with purple scales, don’t worry, a party led by your brother Emperor Armor came to the forest earlier and rescued him. He’s safe at the Crystal Empire.”

A wave of relief washed over Twilight’s heart. Her beloved assistant was safe.

That news made the purple alicorn even happier than having one spell back at her control.

“I’m so glad! Thank you so very much big bro!”

“I would advise you to go to the Crystal Empire, and ask Princess Cadence for support.”

“You don’t even need to, Princess Stella,” Twilight breathed, “my whole family is there. I need to face them before going anywhere else.”

“Then we shall part ways. Don’t forget that you are most welcomed at Concordia, Twilight, if you ever stumble across my country on your way to find your friends, you will be received with open hooves.”

“I will remember it, Firefly.”

Firefly took off, flying fast as Rainbow Dash.

Twilight observed her new friend disappearing in the horizon, and turned her attention to the trail that was going to lead her to Dodge Junction and from there to the Crystal Empire, her next destination.


It was already noon.

Celestia’s sun was shining bright across the land. It was a warm day of summer, but the heat was just perfect for a good day of work.

The huge, ivory spires that composed Canterlot’s landscape seemed even more imposing receiving that light.

It was this beautiful scenery that Celestia observed from her balcony.

The white alicorn glanced around her beloved city, but her eyes lacked luster. It was like the life was sucked out of them.

Not a single smile came across her muzzle.

She just stared blankly at the landscape in front of her, as if she was waiting for something.

Suddenly, the Princess coughed. She led a hoof to her mouth.

When it stopped, Celestia checked her white hoof, and found some drops of blood on it…

The door opened behind her, and Luna entered.

“Sister, I hate to bring you this news but Twilight has escaped from the Deep Level. Her current location is unknown.”

Celestia just lowered her hoof and kept looking to Canterlot’s landscape, not even turning to see her sister.

“Find her. Do anything in our power to bring her back, but find her.”

Luna pouted, “I will summon my best soldiers to track her down Tia. She will be back in our dungeon in no time.”

The white alicorn nodded, “I trust you my dear sister.”

Luna took some steps towards her sister, like she was trying to say something, but stopped midway.

“Did you ordered the knights to start the excavation like I told you?”

The dark-blue alicorn lowered her head, “Yes Tia, I gave the orders, but to reach that place… the soldiers are going to take much more time than you asked them to.”

Celestia turned around, rage stamped on her face, eyes burning with hate.

“I don’t care!” She yelled, “Make them work more! Put half of your Night Guard to work at it during the night and shift turns with my Sun Guards! They have to work on it 24/7 non-stop!”

Luna cowered. To see her benevolent sister so out of character like that was almost impossible.

“A-Alright Tia, I will carry out your orders.”

Celestia breathed heavily, trying to come back to her normal self, “I’m sorry sister, I’m just… so tired.”

Luna, in the verge of tears, trotted towards her sister and hugged her tenderly.

“Don’t worry Tia! Please, just take care of yourself!”

Celestia passed her hoof over Luna’s trembling body, “I know that I’m asking too much of you to bear this burden with me, but I need you to trust in your big sister this time, my little moon.”

Luna vigorously nudged Celestia’s white fur, “I have to pay for my sins too, Tia. If supporting you through this ordeal can repair half of the damage I caused you in the past, then I’m willing to take any wound along with you!”

“Thank you Luna, I love you…”

“I love you too sister.”


She was breathing heavily, shoving tears down her throat. With difficulties, the alicorn walked aimlessly towards the wall in front of her, where a mirror was resting.

The night Princess was so drunk with her rage, that she needed to put a hoof against the wall to not fall down to the floor.

“Twilight Sparkle.” She whispered.

The mirror in front of Luna cracked, and then fell down to the floor, being reduced to pieces.

“Be prepared."

Author's Note:

Sorry if I got a little too image happy this chapter folks! Later chapter didn't had any images, and I needed to introduce a big part of the supporting cast in this one. Thank you for reading!