• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 9,648 Views, 387 Comments

Her Destiny - Broken



Twilight is turned into an alicorn against her will, paying a terrible price. Now she becomes Equestria's worst enemy, and sets on a journey to uncover her world's greatest secret: The truth behind the nature of the alicorns.

  • ...
48
 387
 9,648

Fifteen - A Weeping Moon

“Welcome back, my liege.”

Luna had come back to Canterlot after seeing her ill sister a few days ago. She had barely entered the throne room of the Canterlot Castle. Her stomach ached of hungry, her eyelids were heavy due to sleep deprivation and a pesky headache reminded her about how even a Goddess can suffer from exhaustion.

Wild Fire was already there, waiting for her, right beside the shining sit of power atop the staircase decorated with the red carpet. A dim light from the sun outside entered through the once beautiful stained glasses that decorated the place. All the motifs once showing the six heroines of Equestria were amiss. They were exchanged for simpler, blander designs at Celestia request. Maybe the monarch wanted to block the memories of the tragedy that took place on that fateful night, two months ago.

The white pillar phenomenon.

Even though Princess Luna had no idea as to why. Her only guess was that it was the way Princess Celestia was mourning their loss, since it was her the one who crafted those pieces of art to pay her homage to the true guardians of Equestria.

However, one was still left there, right to the side from where her beloved sun rises; the stained glass window that came from the shards of the Elements of Harmony. The same one depicting the cursed Twilight Princess. A reminder of their unforgivable sin against an innocent.

With calm, Luna walked towards the throne, the sound of her hooves echoing through the empty hall. She darted her vision towards captain Wild Fire and begun, “Thank you. I apologize for my absence but I had rather pressing matters to attend to.”

“That is no problem, my Holy Lady. I know you are engaged in helping the doctors to nurse our beloved Princess Celestia back to health. Your presence by her side is unvaluable.”

Luna sighed. She was just so tired. She wanted to scream so loud the truth to those poor ponies all around her, and put everything back on place, but she couldn’t. Calmly, she walked the stairs and sat on the throne.

Wild Fire quickly floated towards the end of the staircase, and bowed down to the regent in a sign of respect, keeping her head lowered at all times.

Luna stared at her coldly, and asked, “I am sure your presence on the throne room means something more than just wishing me welcome. Did something urgent happened while I was away?”

Suddenly the doors opened with fury.

Both Wild Fire and Princess Luna couldn’t help but to immediately look towards the entrance. The alicorn quickly caught the vision of a very angry Cloud Skipper and a displeased Midnight Blossom. Their hooves were clasping with palatable wrath against the marble floor.

Irritated by the questionable behavior of the knights, Wild Fire turned to them, shouting, “What’s the meaning of this, Captains Cloud Skipper and Midnight Blossom?! Both of you have no permission to barge inside the royal throne room in such a disrespectful fashion! You’re both in the presence of Her Holy Lady Selena!”

“The San Palomino fortress was attacked yesterday.”

A grumpy Cloud Skipper said, looking straight into Luna’s eyes.

Suddenly, the alicorn felt a mix of both fear and surprise bubbling inside her belly. She couldn’t stop her mouth from opening in pure awe.

“Skipper!” Wild Fire called his attention with a shout, seemingly irritated by the way he spoke with the regent, “Beware with your words!”

“My apprentice was nearly killed, trying to convey an important message to us about the attack. Equestria is slowly falling into chaos. My Goddesses are turning a blind eye to those events. I’m not measuring my words anymore, Wild Fire.”

Wild Fire immediately drew her sword, pointing it to Cloud Skipper, “Then I will be happy to punish you on the spot.”

Without hesitation, the pegasus stallion did the same. He didn’t flinched, nor seemed to feel any doubt.

“I will gladly take you on, Inquisitor.”

Luna had enough. With full and thunderous old Canterlot voice, she shouted, “Stop it at once, both of you!”

The shaking hallway reminded Wild Fire and Cloud Skipper they were both in the presence of a God. They immediately stored their weapons back on their sheaths.

“Tell me you didn’t came here to warn me about the same, but was trying to sugarcoat it, Wild Fire, and I promise you will be sent to scrub the floors of the castle’s bathrooms for the next month…”

Luna had it. She was just too tired to not behave like the old Selena Caelum Noctis Una from a thousand of years ago, when Equestria was still developing and facing many more threats. A Princess that had no other option but to rule with firmness and precision.

Wild Fire threw away her gaze in shame, “I am deeply sorry for this, my Holy Lady.”

The alicorn sighed. She turned her attention back to the male captain and her close moori friend accompanying him, and asked with utmost interest, “What happened?”

“The six Yellowjackets are gone. The battalion of experimental Land Trotters composed by about ten units is gone too, as well as the schematics and materials for the construction of those weapons.”

Luna felt the answer as a punch against her belly. She closed her eyes and grinded her teeth, trying to not think about the consequences of such an event. However, Midnight Blossom had yet something much more sinister to add to the already grim scenario.

“Luna… They’ve found it… I don’t know how, but they knew it was there. The chests were empty.”

Luna’s eyes shot open instantly. A panic surfaced from deep within her mind, making her heart race. She got up from the throne and trotted towards the couple, “Did you double checked it? You truly saw the chests?”

With a pained expression, Midnight turned her gaze away and nodded.

“The Noble Council is requesting your presence right now, my liege.” Wild Fire interrupted them, “They demand your presence, in regards to this matter. As a royal advisor, I am really inclined to suggest you to not skip this reunion.”

Luna’s headache intensified. Instead of feeling just that pesky searing sensation, it begun to ache as if stakes were piercing her skull and destroying her brain. She hung her head low, and walked away from the couple, mustering the strength to process the situation.

“Somepony shot my friend, Pussywillow with a dragon-slaying arrow, a forbidden weapon since the founding of this country. She will be lucky if she escapes with her life, but they had to amputate her wing… She will never fly again in her life. She will never be able to serve as a knightress, and her knighthood was her meaning in life… Please Luna, I beg to you… Do not turn a blind eye to this. I can keep trusting you in regards to the excavation, but this… If you turn a blind eye to this then my faith in both you and Celestia will fade completely.”

Cloud Skipper’s words fell like a bomb in Luna’s ears.

Yes, her beloved sister had asked her to keep utmost silence about everything that was transpiring to evade any problems with her plan. Leaving the Noble Council in the dark was another important task given by Celestia she had to deal with.

But it had reached a point where she could no longer let so many suffering.

Her headache worsened. Something was deliberating trying to crush her skull. Luna couldn’t understand what the hay was happening with her.

Breathing heavily and doing her best to not let her three knights perceive she was in pain, Luna rose her head and declared, “I’m going. You can announce my confirmation, Cloud Skipper.”

She was going to regret this decision.

But wasn’t all this ordeal caused by the infinite regret coming from her sister due to the mortal sin she committed on the past?

Wasn’t the heart of the two sisters the only flaw they had, and the only thing that separates them from the other alicorn Goddesses?

Love will always be the reason for their downfall.

Cloud Skipper smiled. He nodded, and quickly begun to trot towards the exit. Wild Fire turned to Luna, asking, “Why didn’t you sent me, my liege?”

“I want you to go to Manehattan in my behalf, Inquisitor Wild Fire.”

She cocked an eyebrow questioningly, “Manehattan? Is there something urgent happening in the Big Apple, Holy Lady?”

“It’s about to happen. The dreaded Twilight Princess is moving to the city. Track her down and capture her. Use any means necessary. But remember; do not hurt her.”

A grim happiness was apparent in Wild Fire’s expression, “I oblige, my Goddess.”

With a last bow, the captain left the throne room, leaving only Midnight Blossom and Luna inside.

“You don’t have any task for me, Luna?” Midnight asked with a worried expression.

“Mothers need a lot of rest. While you muster the courage to make a public announcement, guard duty for you.” Princess Luna answered, throwing Midnight a small, but genuine smile.

The moori was taken by surprise, “How did you know?!”

“Even if they are just a small seed growing inside of you, we know. We feel them, Blossom. They are already a precious life, that needs to be protected and loved by us. That’s our sacred duty as Goddesses of this country.”

Midnight Blossom lowered her head, with a bittersweet smile plastered in her muzzle, “Can you tell me if it is a colt or a filly?”

Luna giggled, ignoring the crushing pain for an instant, “I can, but do you want me to ruin the surprise?”

“You’re right. Do you promise to keep watching over the future where my child will live, Luna?”

“As I promised to your mother, I do.”

With those words, Midnight Blossom left.

Luna fell to the ground, falling over her knees. She struggled to breath, still not understanding what was happening with her. Suddenly, as the thoughts about the Noble Council begun to flood her ailing mind, the monarch felt an uncontrollable urge to laugh.

It started with a small smile, but soon escalated in a scandalous gloat.

“Are you ready to be slaughtered by those snobs, little Woona?!” She asked to herself, shouting.

“They sure are going to tear you apart! And its all because your heart and your love for those ponies can’t let you turn your back to them! For your sake, can’t they just trust you!?”

Luna begun to laugh again, rolling on the ground to face the ceiling. For some reason, doing that completely insane tirade helped her mind to clear, and her headache to subside a little.

“It’s all because you love. All of it…”

And she grew silent once again.


“I’m happy you called me to come with you, Princess.”

“At the moment you are the one who I trust the most, Blind Dive.”

Princess Luna and her loyal personal bodyguard, the bulky Blind Dive were trotting together through the corridors of the Canterlot Castle in order to reach the Royal Assembly.

It was the place where the meetings with the Noble Council were held.

“Don’t flatter me, Princess.” He replied with a smug, “Why are you praising me so much? I’m just a retired ol’ bat.”

“Your experience is invaluable.”

Luna was terrified. It wasn’t going to be the first time she faced the noble council on her life, but sure it was the first time she was going to face them as regent of Equestria. On top of that, she knew they were not pleased with the recent events.

Although most of the six noble families were big supporters of the Princesses, even being accused of blind loyalty by other countries, they were no foals. Leaving them in the dark surely eroded this trust.

Was Luna ready to conquer this trust back by going against her sister’s will?

“Politics?” Blind Dive cocked his eyebrow in surprise, “I’m better with a pair of hoof blades. Midnight Blossom or Shining Armor would be better choices, but I will see what I can do.”

“Thank you, old friend.”

They reached their destination.

A huge auditorium inside the castle was constructed by Celestia’s order when the majestic place became the seat of power in place of the Evergreen Forest old castle. In the past, the representatives of the Noble Council would come to the forest in order to have their opinions heard by the monarchs, however, their advice became so invaluable for Celestia during Luna’s exile that the Holy Lady had to acknowledge their usefulness and create means for them to be closer to her at all times.

Canterlot also became a city filled with important and rich population due to the presence of the Royal Assembly inside the palace. It was much easier for the ponies who belong to the three royal families and the trade guild managers and leaders to live near it.

Blind Dive opened the doors using his fore hooves, and waited until Luna walked in.

The big auditorium, resembling that of a college classroom, was luxurious and majestic. Giant-sized chandeliers dangled from above, red carpets decorated each set of stairs, the chairs were covered with red velvet and had lush, golden designs. It was a mix of classroom and opera house.

The big entrance double doors lead to a main set of stairs cutting right through the middle, eventually leading to the other end, where a stage awaited for her. It was equipped with a microphone set, so it was easier for the pony who was standing there to be heard by the rest.

It was no surprisingly crowded. For the first time in months one of the leaders was finally going to speak with them.

“Let’s get going, my liege. Don’t worry, I will be by your side all the time. Remember you’re not their enemy, nor them are yours. We are here to clarify things, not to cause a fight.”

Blind Dive words reassured Luna’s resolve, even if just a little. She gulped, and with a slow start she begun to walk down the stairway.

She maintained her head straight all the time, but couldn’t help to not move her eyes to observe who had come.

By her right side, just near the entrance door, were located the members of the Azure Star family. Those ponies were descended from the pegasi of Rainbow Valley, a militaristic country from the far north. As descendants from a clan of fearsome warriors, they were known to produce some of the most skillful soldiers and knights.

Those ponies although, were all famous politicians and intellectuals from Canterlot upper crust, all dressed with lush attires, from gala dresses to tuxedos complete with top hats. Since the army can only receive direct orders from the Two Sisters, the knights had little to do with political affairs, save for a very few individuals who choose to use their heritage to gain a seat on the Council.

Cloud Skipper was there, sat besides a very beautiful adult earth pony mare. She had fair white fur, long and curly golden blonde mane, so perfectly combed that it almost looked like a wig and bright emerald green eyes. She was Prima Donna, Skipper’s foster mother and current leader of the clan after her husband died from illness, several years ago. Prima was a famous politician and worked hard as ambassador in several different countries where Equestria had difficult relationships with.

Her fame brought her to be a trusted figure not only by the other archdukes and archduchesses of her own clan, but by all the other clans as well.

Along with them was Prince Blueblood, although the unicorn was distant from his family. He was circled by young mares, two of them leaning their heads at his shoulders and whispering something at his ears. Luna felt almost disgust for the behavior of her nephew.

Azure Star had a total of 38 representatives, all of them being archdukes and archduchesses, bearing the blood of the Two Sisters themselves, since Celestia and Luna parents were actually earth-ponies descending from Rainbow Valley’s second generation after the tribes settled in Equestria’s territory. For that, Azure Star was the most respected and most influential of all the clans.

At her left side, right after the entrance, Luna identified the members of clan Platinum, the descendents of the unicorns from ancient Unicornia. They were also dressed as fine as fashion go.

They were widely seen as oddballs, eccentrics and inventive individuals. Their noble heritage from Unicornia’s royal family gave them all the rights to have a place inside the Council, since it was Princess Platinum of Unicornia herself the responsible for bringing Equestria up from the ground with the wealthy she brought from the faraway islands across the Purple Ocean.

Although the misogyny was natural to all the families, Luna could spot very few earth ponies and pegasi amid the counts and countesses of Platinum. Most of them were unicorns.

What bugged her a little was that Fancy Pants, proud leader of the clan was nowhere to be found. His beautiful fiancee, the famous model Fleur de Liz was also amiss.

The voice of the unicorns would them be represented by the count Aster Spectra,

Pussywillow’s father and a widely known magic researcher, with various books published under his name. Even Twilight Velvet, Twilight Sparkle’s mother was a huge fan of his works, her child being no different. He was also a retired knight from the Sun Guard. During his time, his amazing magic prowess regarded him the title of ‘The Mage’ given by Celestia herself.

As she reached mid-way towards the stage, she faced the ponies from Hammer. Those were the descendants from the several tribes of earth-ponies, coming from all the four corners of the world. They nomad style of life regarded them a vast knowledge in several different topics. The best farmers, the best merchants, the best alchemists, the best blacksmiths and anything to do with any of those; the earth-ponies who came to Equestria to help with the founding were marvelous in all of those fields.

Nowadays, they have grown kind of different from their ancestors, preferring to have positions involving administration, advocacy, among other tasks requiring great amount of memory and empathy. Although they do tend to help the ‘lower’ castes from the Traders Guild with their farming, mining and smithing to a certain degree.

The barons and baronesses from Hammer were led by Trenderhoof McDirty, an orange furred, bearded stallion sporting a serious, stern frown as he gazed upon Luna. His grandfatherly expression seemed to show an urge to reprimand Luna for her recent behavior, but at the same time it expressed true concern about her.

Mister McDirty, always dressed in a formal business suit and always wearing an old fashioned black stetson, was regarded as Equestria’s richest pony. A ‘business predator’, he had at least a small percentage in the shares of every big company existing through his country’s territory. The baron also had a stash full of treasure on his state located in Manehattan, his inheritance from Puddinghead’s line, from which he descended.

The way towards the stage seemed endless to Luna. Even though she was quite close to it, she still had to face the most irritated glances, coming from the ponies who had no blue blood running through their veins.

The Trader’s Guild. Those aristocrats, lead by Filthy Rich, were the most prominent and powerful bourgeois from all over Equestria. Those ponies alone, owners of huge states, of big herds of cattle, of deep mines filled with precious metal or even basic ore needed to produce everyday tools, could alone buy Equestria itself with their money.

Although they lacked a noble heritage, they won power even inside the Royal Assembly thanks to their prowess on business practices. If they suddenly stopped from producing and selling their wares, Equestria would suffer, thus, when they asked to have their seats inside the Assembly, little could be done against it.

Each one of the bourgeois looked at Luna, shooting daggers. Different from the nobles from Azure Star, Platinum and Hammer, those ponies were clearly furious with the monarch.

There was also the Syndicate, a coalition of ponies who represented the professionals from other fields aside from merchants, blacksmiths, farmers and such, like professors, local politicians, lawyers, among other small, but important positions vital to Equestria’s health. Those were also quite discontent with Luna.

As she planted her first hoof on the first step to climb the stairs to the stage, a certain degree of relief washed over Luna, even though it was just for a moment. She didn’t had to face them for that moment. She could pause, and think, and breathe without the crushing pressure of those stares.

But soon she was atop the stage, the microphone in front of her, and that theater of the deranged stretched as far as her vision goes. Luna’s lips went dry, and she licked them, trying to make it easier for her to open them. She masked her visage with her best fake expression of determination and begun, “Children of Equestria, I’ve come by the request of your wailing voices to answer your call. I am here to try my best and soothe those laments you are been shouting to us. What are your afflictions, my children?”

One of the bourgeois sat near Filthy Rich immediately narrowed his eyes, “She talks pretty big. Shame her actions are so little.”

His acid comment echoed through the silent hall. Mcdirty instantly rose his body before Luna could answer to it, “There’s no need to be so formal, Princess Luna. Although it is your first time up there without your sister by your side, we all know you, and we all know this formality does not suit your kind heart.”

Then, Prima Donna stepped up. On that moment, Luna knew they were all well aware of each other’s desire for answers.

“However, Princess, thy kindness may be not enough to soothe our hearts. The news that came from over the San Palomino Desert fell as a bomb right in our backs.”

Aster Spectra brought up a parchment, “Thirty soldiers have received gruesome wounds. Some suffered mutilation. The entire battalion composed of ten experimental Land Trotters was robbed. The six Yellowjackets, war machines that shouldn’t never be taken out of the Fort were robbed. The plans and research papers for mass production of both those weapons were robbed, and at last,the secret scrolls for the construction of Unicornia’s secret weapon of mass destruction, the ‘Juzernaut’, were robbed. All of this was orchestrated by a completely unknown group, intentions also remain unknown.”

With a sigh, Mcdirty took the lead once again, “Can you explain this situation to us?”

Luna flinched. She didn’t wanted to, but she did, and in front of that crowd. Her brain was struggling to process a single sentence in order to give guidance to those ponies, and she did little more than stare at them, noticeable scared.

“Her face isn’t passing much confidence, is it?”

A different voice manifested among the crowd. All the leaders moved their attention to a certain unicorn, walking towards the central corridor after leaving its chair among the Azure Star. It was Blueblood.

“You’re good with words, Auntie Luna. I’m actually impressed and scared at the same that you are at loss for them over some simple question as this one.”

Luna narrowed her eyes, and her confused and distressed expression changed to a furious one. Something on Blueblood’s smirk, on his expression of defiance and cockyness was getting to her.

With a short pause, she replied, “It was a recent event, and due to our shortage in personnel, we are having difficulties to rely a good group to investigate this absolutely dreadful event.”

“Shortage in personnel?” Mayor Mare from the extinct Ponyville’s prefecture stood up amid the Syndicate’s chairs, “Then why don’t you remanage those soldiers, my Princess? Sure there are plenty of them working on that excavation project.”

“Unfortunately, I believe Mayor Mare is right, Princess, that excavation is a cancer consuming Equestria’s resources. I believe each pony inside this assembly agrees with me.”

Blueblood didn’t waste any time to look for approval from the other seats inside the assembly. Although not a single word was heard, the stern faces from each leading figure there, silently judging Luna, were enough for everypony to understand that he was right.

Luna lowered her head, and threw away her gaze, in a disastrous display of weakness. She was sure that Celestia had advised her to never do such a thing in front of the nobles, but the pressure was crushing her. Her sister’s advice slipped away from her mind and heart before she could remember about it.

“T-The excavation cannot be delayed. I am sorry to say this, but that project is Equestria’s ultimate priority at the moment,” Luna answered.

Count Spectra enrolled the parchment held in his magic field, cocking an eyebrow, “Ultimate priority? We are dealing with matters that are beyond some shadowy project you and your sister have set up as an urgency!”

Prima nodded, and completed, “Count Aster Spectra is right. Although we are in no position to inquire the reasons beyond the excavation, we can clearly say that it is not more important than discovering the reason as to why a sinister group of assassins have injured so many of our brothers and sisters from the army and stole plans to weapons that were better left unknown!”

Luna was being more and more pushed against the wall, “I am here as a regent. My sister is still the Holy Lady of this country, and her ultimate desire was to complete the excavation before anything else.”

Mcdirty interrupted her with his grave voice, “Then, I do believe if it is so important, you could soothe our hearts by telling us what is the goal of this excavation.”

Luna closed her eyes, and her ears deflated, gluing to the sides of her head, “I cannot.”

Low whispers spread across the crowd, as every noble inside the assembly had their own opinions on the matter and begun to share it with their nearest companion. Soon enough, Blueblood provoked Luna once again, “Is this a joke, Auntie Luna? How can you not be willingly to tell to this humble assembly the reasons behind that insult? I believe that in such dire times, you should be trusting us more than anything else! Who else can help you lead Equestria, and put everything back on the rails?”

“Equestria’s future… No… Our world’s future is dependant on reaching our goal with that excavation. It is something pertaining to the alicorns, and to the alicorns alone. I cannot tell anypony about ancient oaths our race has done, in order to keep the Harmony of this world intact.”

“This is ludicrous!” Filthy Rich’s voice thundered across the theater, “This crisis has nothing to do with your alicorn hocus pocus, Princess Luna! My good friend North Pole was murdered a few weeks ago! Ponies are blaming the Twilight Princess, but how can I be sure?”

Mayor Mare nodded and turned her attention back at Luna, “Does this group of ponies who wounded and mutilated our soldiers has anything to do with the dreaded monster who brought destruction to my hometown, Princess Luna?”

Twilight.

How much more she had to pay for their sins? Luna asked herself.

“I am not entirely sure. The Twilight Princess killed the Six Elements of Harmony, breaking the law that me and my sister have uphold during this last millennia; the law that prohibits an equine to kill an equal. We have gathered enough info to tell us that she does have banded together with a small group of ponies who are naming themselves her knights. It is possible…”

That blatant lie seemed to calm the assembly. If only they could see beyond her mask.

Blueblood observed the crowd getting less upset, by slowly looking all over the theater. Luna had the slightly impression that he was discontent with her move. Was her cousin trying to destroy her image?

“Should we place our revolt over that fake Goddess’s shoulders once again, then, my Princess?” Prima Donna shouted, the first voice to speak after Luna’s little white lie, “Everything is falling too conveniently over her shoulders. I am beginning to question the truth behind her nature, to be sincere.”

“Surely, you have no reason to lie to us, do you, my Princess?” Mcdirty asked, looking towards Luna with narrowed eyes.

Luna felt disgusted with herself. Utterly, completely disgusted. Her eyes immediately befell over Blind Dive. His solemn visage observing the events unfolding, like an immobile colossus standing guard. His one amber eye met with her gaze, and he gently nodded. Luna closed her eyes, and turned back to the crowd.

“In this darkest hour, I have no reason to mislead you, my children. Even though our methods are nebulous, our goal has not changed since the dawn of this era; we are to bring happiness and Harmony to yee. I shall ask thee for trust, and nothing else.”

The nobles were staring at her in complete silence. It remained like that, for quite some time. More time than Luna could handle.

“What is this? Are you telling us that this whole reunion was to ask for our blind trust?”

Blueblood’s voice. He was beginning to get under her skin!

With unforeseen cockyness, the unicorn walked further down the red carpet at the center of the theater, “We came here to learn as to why our secrets were unearthed and exposed by a group that surely is plotting against this country. We came here to hear from you why our soldiers are suffering inside a hole to dig some mysterious thing. And, this is what we get? Are you joking, Auntie Luna?”

“I am not joking, Blueblood. We cannot afford troops to investigate this matter for now, as we cannot tell you the reasons behind the excavation. Our efforts are focused on completing it, and tracking the Twilight Princess down. These are Equestria’s ultimate goals.”

“It is not enough.” Filthy Rich interrupted.

“Not by a mile.” Mayor Mare nodded and shouted, all the ponies on the Syndicate’s seats turning their attention to her, and nodding in accordance.

“We want answers, Auntie Luna. Right here, right now.”

Luna narrowed her eyes, shooting daggers at her cousin, “Those you shall not have, spoiled child.”

He laughed right at her face. His reaction surprised everypony present, save for the bourgeois from the seats near the stage. They seemed utterly offended by Luna’s behavior.

“Blueblood!” Cloud Skipper rose from his chair, his hoof reaching his sword. He was about to jump on his half-brother, if his mother didn’t contain him.

“Be patient, child.” Prima whispered, monotone.

“Do you all hear it, nobles of Equestria? Your Regent; Your Holy Lady is utterly dismissing your help. She’s spitting on your face, hiding important things from you right in front of your face, and leaving this assembly in the complete dark. Can we really let this go by?”

“What are you suggesting, Blueblood from Azure Star?” Aster threw the question towards the unicorn.

“I suggest we force this alicorn to answer us! This assembly has consolidated power! Together, we can do it!”

“Madness.” Mcdirty interrupted, shouting with his grave voice.

“Yes. Madness is what it is.” Aster nodded, and turned his gaze away from Blueblood.

The unicorn seemed shocked with their reactions, “Why?! She toys with thee! Her lack of responses to our pleas is a proof of her tyranny! Are you going to blindly accept what she tells us just because she is a God?!”

“You speak not for this assembly, kid.” Mcdirty turned around to face him.

“As you do not answer for your clan, my child. Azure Star will never agree with such disrespectful behavior regarding our Holy Lady.” Prima moved towards him, with a discontent expression.

“For centuries and centuries, my family has placed their very lives on the alicorn's hooves. Not once they have failed us. For the very first time, they ask us to trust them. I believe they are worthy of my confidence, and my clan agrees with me.” Aster said, looking directly at Blueblood’s mad frown.

“We agree with Blueblood, though.” Filthy Rich left his chair to walk near the unicorn.

“Unfortunately for you, Filthy Rich, our heritage still weighs more than your money here.” Prima answered to him, “We vote, and you lose, that’s what is going to happen in case you and my child decide to keep going with this madness.”

“And if you are discontent with it, you and your brethren are invited to leave this meeting.” Mcdirty completed.

Luna was shocked. Azure Star, Platinum and Hammer seemed to still trust her, even after the disaster that had just happened. She could only thank Tia for building such a strong tie with the nobles during those long years.

Filthy Rich, still shooting daggers through his eyes towards Mcdirty and Prima, looked over Mayor Mare and quickly glanced over all his companions from the Trader’s Guild.

They all stood up.

“This was a waste of time. And I hate wasting time as much as I hate wasting money. Watch your backs, blue blooded lead soldiers of her majesty, hence she doesn’t fill it with a dagger.”

The ponies from both parties summarily left the assembly, displeased.

Luna sighed with exasperation after they all left. She didn’t wanted to complete ruin the already delicate relationships with the bourgeois, let alone with both of their representative parties. She screwed up big time, and that fact was eroding her mind.

“Such a lack of tact.” Count Aster spoke, when the last seat from the Syndicate left the theater.

“Do you have any more questions to our liege, my dear Trenderhoof?” Prima asked to Mcdirty.

He silently shook his head in negation.

“I think this concludes our meeting, then.”

Luna didn’t felt right. She lied to them, only to protect her sister. And yet they trusted her, blindly. Blueblood’s harsh words had a glint of truth to them.

Could the alicorn’s divine nature hold absolute power over the lives of so many?

“Do you have anything more to say, my Holy Lady?” Prima called to Luna, derailing her from her train of thought, “You seem awfully quiet for a while.”

“No... Just thank you, Prima.”

Prima Donna gave her a kind smile, “As Aster said, we trusted our lives to the alicorns since the foundation of this country and never once you failed us.”

She turned to a distressed Blueblood, still lingering at the same place static, with grinded teeth, “This child behavior is questionable, but he have a good heart and he was only thinking about our country’s future. I beg you to not think ill of him, my Holy Lady.”

Luna quickly glanced over Blueblood. Something about him was unsettling, but she wasn’t sure.

“Worry not, my dear Prima, I will forgive your son’s actions.”

“AS IF I NEED THE PARDON OF A DEMON DISGUISED AS AN ANGEL!”

Blueblood’s furious yell made the walls tremble. Everypony stared at him, with eyes wide open in shock.

After a few seconds of recovering from the initial shock, Prima quickly trotted towards his position. She stood in front of him, and immediately slapped his face with a hoof, “Enough, Blueblood! I wasn’t able to properly educate you when you were an infant, and now my lack as a mother is beginning to show! You spoiled little brat! You are still my son, and I still have some right to slap you in order to teach you proper respect!”

The unicorn slowly passed his hoof against his red cheek. His furious eyes moved towards his half-brother, watching everything from his chair a little further up the theater.

“You never slapped him… You always protected him, admired him, praised him… And he’s not even your blood… Azure Star was supposed to be the purest of the clans. And that stain of a half-brother I have received more praise than me… I don’t need this shit anymore.”

“Watch your tongue, child!” Prima reprimanded him further, “Those gross words coming out of your mouth should never be said inside those walls. Your brother Cloud Skipper is far different from you, and I envy his mother for raising him as a prime example of a stallion! I wished I was a little harsher with your education… But I am sure that I still have teach you how to behave, even though it seems that you forgot everything!”

Blueblood smirked to his mother, “Enough of this. My path, I shall tread it alone. Goodbye mother. Goodbye brother.”

Upon declaring that, the unicorn took his time to look towards Princess Luna, watching in shock the family’s quarrel. Luna silently asked herself as to why Blueblood seemed to hate her with such violence.

Suddenly, he turned around, leaving the assembly.

Prima sighed, “I beg your pardon for the behavior of my son, Holy Lady. And I also beg the pardon of everypony from Platinum and Hammer. Those familiar matters should not be treated in front of the Royal Assembly.”

“Worry not, Prima Donna from Azure Star.” Aster spoke, giving the unicorn mare a kind smile, “I understand how hard it is to educate a child. My Pussywillow always gave me headaches with her brash attitude.”

“I believe we should go, now that our matters with the Princess,” said Mcdirty, glancing over the whole of his followers and also towards both Prima and Aster.

Aster scratched his throat and turned to the seats of Platinum, “Does anypony else has anything to ask to our Holy Lady?”

The well-dressed unicorns smiled, and some shook their heads in negation.

As silence returned to the theater, Primma closed her eyes and smiled too, “Then I believe we are going.”

A few representants from Azure Star, closer to the door, walked off the place, and soon everypony from the other representative parties also begun to exit.

Luna remained silence, with a bitter taste on her mouth observing those ponies leaving.

She found herself unable to cope with the situation.

Lies, lies and even more lies.

Her previous conversation with her loyal soldier, Blind Dive, echoing through her mind.

Lie to them, if you need to. Persuade them to trust in you. Take advantage of this millennium of peace your sister has brought to this land, and not even the ghost of Nightmare Moon can make them turn their backs to you. It is hard to do those things? Yes, it is, but do not forget that without the alicorn’s guide, we are at mercy of this world’s darkness. We need your light to protect us, or else we will vanish. That’s why preserving your status and power is so important, even if it means lying to the ones who trust you.

She remained stoic, waiting for each and every noble to turn their backs to her. And then, when they were finally unable to look towards her, Luna shed two huge trails of tears.

Her lips trembled and moved, and she produced small wimps and sobs. Blind Dive quickly noticed her, and walked near her, worried, “My liege?”

Luna didn’t wanted any of those things to happen. She was still scared, and it finally hit her how she was unprepared to rule.

“I want to tell the truth to them… Prima was so kind with me… And Mister Mcdirty was truly concerned with our situation… Why it must be like this, Blind Dive?”

The moori guard smirked, closing his eyes and lowering his head, “So compassionate… Your sister was much more logic. But I like the way you are doing things, Luna. Maybe pouring your heart in the matter is what Equestria needs right now.”

Luna ceased her weep. She stared at the nothingness, absent-minded, and replied, “I cannot permit to pour my heart into this. It’s too dangerous for a alicorn to involve its feelings in anything… Mine more than any other… I felt once, and I don’t even want to think about what could happen if I fell again…”


The cluttering comes to a halt.

Betsy, the Land Trotter brought by Twilight’s group reached an abandoned dirty road, cutting through the middle of a woodland.

In front of it, the landscape changed, with trees becoming progressively more scarce, until over there, in the horizon, a big city presented itself.

Manehattan.

The tank’s top hatchway opened, and Twilight’s head popped out. The alicorn had an expectant look in her visage. She observed the tall buildings in the distance with curiosity.

“Do you think we’re going to find Silver Spoon here?”

Trixie’s voice derailed her from her train of thought, the unicorn leaving Betsy through a bigger entrance located on its rear.

Twilight looked towards her and smiled, “I don’t know Trixie. However, we cannot stop. There’s too much on the line to not taking the risks of going in there.”

A confidently smiling Lightning also came out through the rear opening, “To Manehattan, then?”

The alicorn turned back to the horizon, “To Manehattan!”

Comments ( 45 )

Okay, damn this story is jsut getting better and better, and it started at epic, not a day goed by where i dont check to see if this has updated, the intrigue, excitement and antisipation of what comes onwards is almost to much to handle. I am really looking forward to seeing why aluna and Celestia woud lie and cheme and basically ripp so much into twilights heart, but also wether twilight will ultimatley break, and what she will do when she dies figure it out. As long as it is not falling in line and quietly walking to her spot in her own doom. Because that is NOT who she is, at least not in this story.

Interesting.

Each party has a different priority. So far though, the princesses' and the third party's goals are unknown. I can't really say who's right in this situation.

I really like this story.

I'm agreeing with Blueblood

This is needed.

I feel a bit sorry for Luna in this. it seems she's been dragged into what whatever Celestia had planned long ago. WHAT THE HECK DID THEY DO TO SET THIS ALL IN MOTION!

Did you lose an editor or proofreader or something? There were significantly more mispellings and grammar issues than usual.

5770639
Actually, I did! :applecry:
I'm doing "post reading" with the help of voidedstory, as you can see him/her pointing the errors in the comment section, but no proof-reader nor editor in the last three chapters...
I'm really sorry for those, but I swear I can correct them if you point them for me! :eeyup:

Hmm. Maybe tomorrow if I have time.

5770792
I'm grateful! :twilightsmile:

and people ask me why i hate alicorns! filthy whorses, pushing the blame for their own failures onto the shoulders of their once most faithful follower! if anything comes out of this whole thing, it's the alicorns having everything they care about ripped from their lives, and have every lie and betrayal returned to them one-hundred fold. oh, and have the elements give back twilight's friends, so that they can all take down the tyrants.

5771544 and Twilight's an alicorn too, so let's tear her down as well, ;)




5770796 yet another chapter full of intrigue and mystery, heartache and mistrust, and finally- love.

I dub this chapter, the love chapter. :P

5771706 twilight was a unicorn who unwillingly turned into an alicorn. i'd be willing to bet that if she had the chance, she'd go back to being a unicorn, if it meant getting her friends back. can you say the same for the others?

5771706
"All because you love..."
I guess you are mostly right! :twilightsmile:

Hmm, this is getting inconvenient, and the machinations seem to be converging. I wonder when new allies will join the refugee's cause?

5776190
It may look weird, but I'm happy someone dislike my story because of the plotline and not put the blame entirely on grammar problems.
Thank you for the compliments too. I hope my next titles can impress you more. :ajsleepy:

5777006 The grammar aspect rarely is an issue in most works for me. I tend to overlook the grammar, and place what I can see an author placing or meaning to in the word.

Your pace, and timing on how the story progresses is very much your strong point to your writing. And it is a very useful one to have. However, the start of this was a massive disconnect with the way it was introduced. If you had lead up to this with more of an introduction, it would not have been as rough to start perhaps. And likely not the disconnect that happened or may with some people. I get what you aimed for, but it didn't quite fit exactly.

The issue between celestia here, and the city itself of ponyville, well, was off-putting out of the time frame that you expect of twilight and her choices. Precognition in writing has a huge can of worms associated with it when used. Some good aspects, some bad. The issue with it as I put was that knowing things, and taking such a less direct option is that even if it was unavoidable... Well, it is that celestia already holds a high opinion with the populace. This is just a salt in the wound action, or how it comes across like.

Overall, though, i hope this gives help, despite a slightly vitriolic nature I may have first posted my original comment over.

5777504
Worry not. I tend to take even the harshest comments as constructive criticism. I'm here not only to publish my works, but also to improve my skills, and harsh comments are a good way to broaden your perception of how people who disliked what you wrote see it, and try to correct the mistakes to please even more different kinds of readers.

It's a little bit late to chance how things started here, but I will avoid using those tropes on next fanfictions. Thank you again.

5777608 Theres constructive, which I hoped I did more in the 2nd reply. And well, caustic somewhat, which I was in the first. And should have posted that at the time I did. There is still a line I shouldn't cross in saying what didn't click for me. But thank you in that it wasn't hurtful.

The more I read of this story, the less I like about Celestia and Luna. First, Twilight pleads with them for help and they arrest her. It seems like they are doing everything they can to make themselves enemies to Twilight. Then in this chapter, they are blaming Twilight for the destruction of Ponyville when it was the fault of Luna's guards who were trigger happy with gunpowder. And now it seems the country is falling apart and the only answer Luna gives are lies and that they have to trust her. The worst part is that Luna says she does this because she loves and that is her weakness. Yet she lied to them and treats them as children who wouldn't understand what's happening. She obviously never heard the saying that if you love something, you should let it go; and she refuses to let go. You know it is bad when Blueblood acts the most mature as he wants to know the truth and make his own decisions. I just hope that Celestia and Luna eventually realize how horrible they were to Twilight and that they were responsible for all the chaos that has happened.

5782565
Oh! I'm very sorry for all of those! :fluttershysad:
The chapters Prologue towards Five need a rewrite entirely. I would love to have more time in my hands to tackle at them, but work is sucking my life out of me.
I REALLY greateful for the corrections. :ajsleepy:

:pinkiegasp: she yet lives! In a way I'm glad pussywillow yet lives. If we can just get her cloud skipper and midnight blossom to Twilight. Three real knights to protect her along with a crazy Pegasus and powerful unicorn, Two just might be able to pull this off. Plus the same number of friends now as when she started

The intrigue...the intrigue!!! will it ever stop??? I am so amazed at this story!!! I cant wait to see it finished. there is so much mystery. what are the goddesses up to? why is celestia so ill? what is the importance of the excavation? what secrets does it hold? at what point will twilights heart break? an army is forming. the ponies are in turmoil. what is happening to equestrian? is twilights strength, coming from celestia? is celestia waining, as twilight gains strength? what happened to the elements of harmony and their bearers? this has to be equestrias darkest hour. this story could be as sensational as the STORIES IN STONE series.

discord is mentioned in the chapter with zecora. what role is he playing in this? is he having some fun at the expense of all of equestria? did celestia take something from the CREATOR, THE WATCHER OF EVOLUTION? is that what theyre hiding?

Welp, Twilight's screwed. North Pole is dead, the guard knows she's headed for Manhattan, and they're using one of the most obvious methods of transportation.
Also, goddamit Luna.

Her stomach ached of hungry

ached with hunger

it was her the one who crafted those pieces

it was she who crafted those pieces. "The one" is unnecessary and "her" is the incorrect pronoun.

“The San Palomino fortress was attacked yesterday.”

A grumpy Cloud Skipper said, looking straight into Luna’s eyes.

Probably should put these on the same line. The second of these just doesn't look right on it's own.

way he spoke with the regent, “Beware with

Comma should be a period.

pointing it to Cloud Skipper, “Then I will

Same here, comma should be a period.

He didn’t flinched, nor seemed to feel any doubt.

He didn't flinch, and stared down Wild Fire without hesitation.

It sounds a little better that way, in my opinion.

Did you double checked it

check. "Did" serves as the past tense verb (of "do"), so "check" (or "double-check", in this case) is just an infinitive.

Somepony shot my friend, Pussywillow with a dragon-slaying arrow

Either that comma needs to be removed or there needs to be a comma after "Pussywillow". Sectioning off a phrase or word like that requires that both ends be cordoned off, so to speak, although personally I don't think you need commas there at all.

had asked her to keep utmost silence about everything

had asked her to keep silent about everything.

Don't really need "utmost", and it's not really worth it to change the sentence around to make the phrase "utmost silence" work, IMO.

she committed on the past?

In the past.

the noble council on her life

In her life.

Yknow, maybe it's just these other fics spoiling me, but I expect Luna to not really be afraid of the nobility. It's not a bad change of pace, I guess, though. Just a lil' weird.

Luna ready to conquer this trust back by

Bring this trust back. "Conquer" doesn't really work in this regard.

It was no surprisingly crowded

unsurprisingly. or "not surprisingly", but that would need to be cordoned by commas, like this: "It was, not surprisingly, crowded."

Remember you’re not their enemy, nor them are yours

Remember, you're not their enemy, and they aren't yours. or "nor are they yours". Either one works.

She maintained her head straight all the time

she kept her head straight

were located the members of the Azure Star family

Don't need "located" here.

Those ponies although, were all famous politicians and intellectuals from Canterlot upper crust

These ponies, thought, were all famous politicians and intellectuals from Canterlot's upper crust

all dressed with lush attires, from gala dresses to tuxedos

No comma needed here. It creates an unnecessary and flow-breaking pause.

save for a very few individuals who choose to

"Save for select individuals" and "chose"

"Choose" is present tense. "Chose" is past tense. Even if this story was set fully as a present-tense story, you're still referring to actions done in the past.

Cloud Skipper was there, sat besides a very beautiful

sitting beside. "Was" provides the past tense.

She had fair white fur, long and curly golden blonde mane, so perfectly combed that it almost looked like a wig and bright emerald green eyes.

She had fair white fur, a long and curly golden blond mane so perfectly combed that it almost looked like a wig and bright emerald green eyes. "So perfectly combed..." is part of modifying "golden blond mane" and the entire thing is part of a list of descriptions, and comma placement tells readers where each individual descriptor is, so both of those parts stay together.

worked hard as ambassador in

As an ambassador

it was Princess Platinum of Unicornia herself the responsible for

who was responsible for

ground with the wealthy she brought from

wealth. "wealthy" is an adjective ("A wealth pony", for example). "Wealth" is the noun form.

What bugged her a little was that Fancy Pants, proud leader of the clan was nowhere to be found

that Fancy Pants, proud leader of the clan, was nowhere to be found.

Fleur de Liz was also amiss.

missing.

The voice of the unicorns would them be represented

would then be represented.

Also, you accidentally separated this bit from the rest of the paragraph.

Even Twilight Velvet, Twilight Sparkle’s mother was a huge fan of his works

Need a comma after "mother"

, his amazing magic prowess regarded him the title of ‘The Mage’ given by Celestia herself

earned him the title of "the Mage" by Celestia herself.

Those were the descendants from

these ponies were

They nomad style of life regarded them a vast knowledge

their nomad style

gave them.

Not really sure where you're getting "regarded" for "gave" or "earned".

empathy. Although they do tend to help the ‘lower’ castes

Even so, they tended to help the "lower" castes...

Also, you use "" for that. Single marks are only when the air-quoted word or words is/are within an actual quote.

they suddenly stopped from producing and selling their wares

"from" is unnecessary.

Equestria would suffer, thus, when they asked

Equestria would suffer; thus, when they asked

Also, that's quite a bit of power, there...sure you're not overestimating everything here?

as far as her vision goes

as far as she could see.

of determination and begun

and began.

His acid comment echoed

acidic. You're modifying "comment" to display how fueled with distaste and anger the previous sentence was, not that the pony actually spit or otherwised used acid.

She didn’t wanted to, but she did

She didn't want to, but she had to,

and in front of that crowd. Her brain was struggling to process

Comma instead of a period. You're cutting that part of the sentence in half unnecessarily.

noticeable scared

noticeably scared.

isn’t passing much confidence,

Giving

matter and begun to share

began.

Does this group of ponies who wounded and mutilated our soldiers has anything to

have anything to do. Don't forget that the verb and subject need to agree in number, in this case "have" agrees with "group of ponies". And while "group" is singular, "group" implies more than one person (or pony), and thus any verbs agreeing with it need to plural.

breaking the law that me and my sister have uphold during this last millennia; the law that prohibits an equine to kill an equal.

Breaking the law that my sister and I have upheld during the last millennium: the law that prohibits an equine to kill another equine.

Unless you're using "equal" to mean any known species and not just ponies in particular.

to tell us that she does have banded together with a small group

she has banded together with a small group.

had the slightly impression

slight.

With unforeseen cockiness

cockiness. Although it seems it autocorrected for me.

We came here to learn as to why our secrets

"As to" is unnecessary.

save for the bourgeois from the

bourgeoisie. Close, but not quite.

She toys with thee

Blueblood doesn't seem to be the pony to use something as archaic as "thee".

is a proof of her tyranny!

Is proof of her tyranny

hence she doesn’t fill it with a

lest she fills it with a dagger

She didn’t wanted to complete ruin the already delicate relationships with the bourgeois

she didn't want to completely ruin the already delicate relationships with the bourgeoisie.

never once you failed us.”

never once have you failed us.

Those familiar matters should not be treated in front of the Royal Assembly

These familial matters should not be dealt with in front of the Royal Assembly

I believe we should go, now that our matters with the Princess

Now that our matters with the princess...are finished? You left this sentence hanging

closed her eyes and smiled too

Either put a comma before "too", or change it to "as well"

also begun to exit

began

Luna remained silence, with a bitter taste on her mouth observing those ponies leaving

Luna remained silent, a bitter taste staying in her mouth as these ponies left.

produced small wimps

small whimpers

Luna ceased her weep.

weeping

5771544 Your generalizations about every interpretation of both known alicorns and OC alicorns is annoying.

6001428 you thinking that i care about your opinion, especially after all this time since i posted that comment, is what's annoying. if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, don't fucking say anything.

Reviewed first few chapters of this story for the Goodfic Bin (sorry about the delay). Considering that I have a few problems with the story (namely exposition, an element of characterization, some confusing stuff and the grammar, phrasing) I'm rejecting this story from submissions.

Details are here.

6009065
Thank you for the review HapHazred. I wasn't expecting to get into the Good Bin anyway, it's a little too much for H.D. since the grammar has so many problems and I wrote the first chapters two years ago and my perception of the characters and my skills as writer were lacking a lot. Always good to have a nice bunch of criticism to help me with it, since I so far away of finishing.

6009078 Fair enough. I was actually pleasantly surprised with this one, despite the problems I pointed out. For all it's flaws (which I stand by) I think it's obvious a lot of effort went in there.

whens next chapter going up?

6304399 Speaking of pace, the time between updates is rather large. I like this a lot but, for sanity reasons I am going to have to set it aside until it is finished.

Is this series still going?

:pinkiehappy:I hope this continues I love this story:pinkiegasp::pinkiehappy:

7197121
It will continue. I'm just having a really hard time in my personal life, and it's being hard to focus. But I will continue it, I promise.

7197821 don't worry I can wait. Thanks for the info because there are plenty of stories about that do not finish without explaining. Thanks for the info I can't wait for the next chapter.:pinkiehappy:

A pretty good story, just wonder if it'll ever be updated eh.

Why do I have the feeling Blueblood has a hand hoof in this?

Also, I can't wait til the next chapter.

another story that`ll never be finished........

OFFLINE for 34w, 1d

#358 · 39w, 6d ago · · · Fifteen - A Weeping Moon · Maz Twinkle
>> Maz Twinkle
It will continue. I'm just having a really hard time in my personal life, and it's being hard to focus. But I will continue it, I promise.


Promises to finish it than five weeks later logs off for the last time. Rip.

7941651 indeed. I had this set aside in the "waiting to complete" library. Now I am going to drop it off my lists.
Its too bad... I really did enjoy this. Two years for an update is too long and my "waiting to complete" list is getting long and holding a few like this that are not likely to complete.

When is this story going to be continued?

Finally caught up! And hoo boy, things are getting bonkers...

is there any chance that there will be an update to the story soon as i see great things for this story as im very interested on how it will play out

Up-date. Up-date. UP-DATE!!

Well, I've caught up to this dead story and I still don't know how far from the end this story is. This concerns me because this story is in my line of sight to be rewritten by my group. I'm not sure what the author had originally planned so this is going to make it very difficult.

No updates since 2015!?

Also: 6001443

if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, don't fucking say anything.

and people ask me why i hate alicorns! filthy whorses, pushing the blame for their own failures onto the shoulders of their once most faithful follower! if anything comes out of this whole thing, it's the alicorns having everything they care about ripped from their lives, and have every lie and betrayal returned to them one-hundred fold. oh, and have the elements give back twilight's friends, so that they can all take down the tyrants.

mereinkling.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/hypocrite.jpeg?w=580

Is there another story thats is like this or a rewrittenstory?

Login or register to comment