• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 6,427 Views, 474 Comments

Twilights Mane Passion - Darkonshadows



Twilight grows up with a strange passion and it changes her life from how it should have been.

  • ...
16
 474
 6,427

81

“And that concludes today’s lesson class.” It was another day and the end of the weekend with Twilight, who has just finished teaching a bunch of fillies and colts about magic. The magic she taught was used by the three pony races; she was exceptionally knowledgeable in the subject.

“Now what do we say to Ms. Sparkle for joining us today class?” Cheerilee enjoyed having attentive students and Twilight was a good helper for teaching her entire class about the magic that is innate in all ponies.

“Thank you Miss Sparkle!” An entire chorus of young voices sang out as the colts and fillies started gathering their things to leave.

“It’s so nice to help out with teaching young minds Cheerilee, though I’m pretty sure they’re not always the little angels they act like in front of you.” Twilight received a warm chuckle from the schoolmarm.

“Oh I know that, even if my name isn’t Cheery Leeway. They’re children and it’s a time of exploring their boundaries.” Cheerilee sighed thoughtfully looking out the window. “They have all the time in the world to make mistakes, just so long as it’s not really bad ones that could get some pony hurt permanently.”

Twilight beamed along with Cheery as they watched the foals and colts set off to play and have fun as it was the start of their weekend. Twilight felt a pony bump into her and a she heard the ever familiar squeak of a cuddly pony, along with the growl of Tress’s cat.

“Sorry for bumping into you Twilight.” Even as she said this in an absentminded tone, Fluttershy twisted and twirled as her eyes followed movements going on in the sky and she slowly continued on her way. Out of idle curiosity Twilight and Cheerilee followed her turning their gazes towards the sky to see what she was keeping track of.

“It’s okay Fluttershy, but what are you… oh. Yeah, that would be kind of noticeable.” Looking to the sky Twilight couldn’t help but shake her head at Tress’s antics, it looked like the problem of the day was what was known as a dragon’s mortal nemesis. “Seriously, a wyvern, that’s what we were supposed to be dealing with today?”

“Well you two certainly do get into all kinds of shenanigans.” Now Cheery was doing what Fluttershy was doing in tracking the goings on up high in the air. “So what was it that was special about wyverns again? It’s kind of slipped my mind; Tress really seems intent on keeping its mouth closed.”

“Well they are said to share a lot of similarities with basilisks, only they’re less dangerous and not nearly as poisonous. Some wyverns are even said to spit their venom while igniting it and a wyverns cry tends to attract and anger dragons.” Twilight went through the motions with Fluttershy and Cheerilee in watching the speck in the sky. Tress was holding onto the relatively small wyvern’s neck with her hind legs, she was also holding its mouth shut with one hoof and punching it in the head with the other one.

Despite their training for when and if things got violent with Nightmare Moon, Twilight knew she and Tress were nowhere near as invincible as they appeared at times. Twilight didn’t have a body that could handle too much punishment and her barriers spells were the only thing preventing her from getting heavily injured at times by Tress, especially when they played rough when it came to exercising their natural abilities. She at times compared herself to Tress, who even outside her Mane-iac form could still take a lot of punishment.

Tress was currently trying to avoid the wyvern’s spines as it lashed out its tail at its own neck and struggled to hold its mouth shut to prevent its teeth from biting at her. It was also to prevent any dragons that might have lived near Ponyville from attacking if they so much as heard a wyvern in the area. She shifted her weight when it clumsily swung its talons from its two legs at her that narrowly missed gouging a chunk out of her back.

“Funny, I didn’t think wyverns were native to anywhere within Equestrian territories.” The teacher mused as they slowly followed the pitched fight between a mare and a two winged, long necked serpentine creature with poisonous spines, fangs and talons.

“They aren’t. Especially given there is a d-d-d-dragon migration path that goes through Ponyville.” Fluttershy would know all about it, wyverns weren’t native within the borders of Equestria especially given the small population of dragons that lived in the surrounding mountains and caves. She hoped that Tress didn’t lose her grip on the wyverns mouth, the disaster of a dragon attack would be imminent if one were to here it cry out for a prolonged period of time. “Some pony had to of have released it here on purpose or it just recently escaped captivity for there to even be one.”

“First we need to deal with the dangerous creature. After that we can actually find out where it actually came from. Just so long as nothing exacerbates this situation to make it worse, it looks pretty well handled so far.” Twilight saw a streak of colors shoot for Tress and the wyvern. Lifting a hoof to her face was the only thing she could do now. “Oh for the love of... please don’t tell me Rainbow is about to make things worse.”

“Okay, we won’t. I still can’t believe I’m giving the top weather manager in Ponyville remedial courses.” After a moment Cheery slapped a hoof to her mouth before looking at her two friends. “Forget I ever said that.”

“Don’t worry; we’re all well aware of Cloudsdale’s ever exemplary educational system. Not that it is a system that doesn’t focus every pony that has ever lived there down narrow pathways in the ways of prospective jobs.” Twilight always took the opportunity to snipe at the pegasus educational systems. Doing so in front of Cheery should have gotten the teacher angry and started an argument. Instead Cheery just nodded at her words. “So how did Tress end up grappling the wyvern? Wasn’t she helping you with all those kittens today Fluttershy?”

“Um… well, the wyvern tried to grab me with its talons while we were playing with the kittens.” Fluttershy didn’t need to say more, Tress immediately bucked the wyvern in the chin and the wrapped herself around its neck to try and force it to pass out. Fluttershy had quickly told her a few things to do before it took her out of earshot when it ascended. Pal growled something at Fluttershy bringing her back to the present situation. “Yes, you were a good kitty getting the other cats to shelter and no she hasn’t gotten hurt yet.”

Meanwhile at the Ponyville Train Station and a distance away from the midair fight.

“So my Pinkie Sense says I have to be right here Trixie, the pony I haven’t been able to throw a party for is coming in on the next train!” Pinkie’s back left hoof flopped lazy at the air three times. “Oh and the pony is bringing three new friends who have never been to Ponyville before.”

“Trixie does not know why you’re so excited; the pony might not have time for a party. How is little Gummy by the way, is he alright?” Trixie had hatched an alligator a day before Pinkie’s birthday. Against her better judgment, she gave the now named Gummy to Pinkie and the pony had never been happier to have a pygmy alligator as a pet. The alligator was adorable in his own unique way and he didn’t have any teeth, it made Trixie wonder what they would do when he did get them.

“Oh, he’s perfectly fine. I think he likes gummy worms and is really energetic for a little guy.” Pinkie would take care of her pet and prove once and for all that she could be Pinkie ‘Responsibility’ Pie. “I hope that Mr. and Mrs. Cake don’t mind that I left him in the bathtub when I left.”

There was a scream in the distance and Pinkie shrugged. It was probably nothing even if it did sound like Mrs. Cake and that it came from the direction of her home and or workplace. Pinkie trusted in the fact that Mr. and Mrs. Cake wouldn’t hurt Gummy even if her new little friend did freak them out once or twice.

The train in the distance started rolling into the station; it eventually came slowly to a halt in front of them. Pinkie was waiting eagerly. She would not miss a chance to throw a party for this pony and they would have no choice but to attend along with the three new ponies that came to Ponyville. The magician sitting right next to her sighed as she could already tell Pinkie was in one of her moods, considering there was that lovable goofy smile that crossed the pink pony’s face.

Of the four cloaked figures that stepped off the train, one of them was antsy and it was the smaller one in the beige cloak. She really didn’t want to come back to this town right now, but circumstances saw fit to draw her here. Ponyville was a safe haven for something important to her and she could only hope the town was quiet and out of the way enough. Of course it begged the question why this town needed mercenaries; it was a quiet town where not much happened or at least that was what she thought.

“Oh my goodness there you are! I think you really need my party now, because you look really grumpy.” Pinkie spooked the beige cloak wearing pony by appearing in front of her from out of nowhere.

“Look kid, I don’t need a… what the!?” The beige cloaked figure pushed away Pinkie Pie and leapt backwards avoided the wyvern head that just rammed its way into the station with Tress still holding onto it. It boggled her mind to see something so dangerous especially when it wasn’t native to any place near here.

“Well of course you don’t need a ‘what the!?’, however you really need that party and so do your friends! They could stand to be a little less grim looking.” Even as Pinkie said this Trixie was dragging her away from the thrashing head of the wyvern.

The brown and green cloaked figures spoke some funny gibberish and stood protectively in front of the pony in the red cloak. They watched as Tress continued to fight the head of the wyvern whose body was currently wedged into the train station platform and appeared to be completely stuck.

“Come on, just go down already!” Punching the wyvern with one hard blow after a flash in her eyes, Tress caused it to slow its wild movements. After a moment it was finally too tired to fight her anymore and laid down to accept it wasn’t getting her off of itself and fell asleep were it lay stuck in the train station. “Finally, that took forever. Is Rainbow okay?”

“Rainbow should be fine and I should be asking you the same thing Tress.” Twilight walked up to her with a worried look in her eyes.

“I’m just hungry and a bit thirsty; this wyvern really didn’t want to give up the fight.” Tress after a moment finally released her hind legs from gripping its neck, she stretched them out given they were a bit stiff. “I heard the café is open again, maybe we could stop by there for dinner?”

“We still have to deal with the wyvern first Tress. I’d really like to know where it came from and I personally think we should at least secure it first, do you want to deal with it again?” Twilight saw that her friend understood the need to stick around when she winced at having to do all that again. They were waiting for Fluttershy and Cheerilee to go get some ponies to help contain the wyvern. Nurse Redheart hopefully had some wyvern antivenin for Rainbow; if not then they could synthesize some from the wyvern itself.

“So it was a Wyvern today? Trixie thinks this is rather tame for you and that said, Pinkie now owes Trixie fifty bits.” Holding out her hoof, Trixie waited for Pinkie to plant a bag of bits there. She swiftly made them disappeared into her purple starry hat before placing it back on her head.

“Wow, now ponies are betting on what we’ll do next. The Trouble Takers are now officially a tourist attraction Twilight!” Turning to the four cloaked figures and recognizing one, she sighed and turned back to her friend. “And I think we already have our next job lined up for us by Daring Do herself.”

“What?” Was all Daring could say, as she pulled her beige cloak tighter around herself. “I have no idea… fine I need help if you are in fact those mercenary mares I heard about in Appleoosa. Just stop looking at me like that with those flat stares!”

“Don’t worry about going to the café Tress. I’m throwing this pony a party immediately and she’s not avoiding this one!” Pinkie bounced in front of Daring and wrapped a hoof around her. “I’ve already set everything up for it lady, there’s no avoiding a Pinkie Pie party when it’s meant for you!”

“What in the world did I just walk into?” Daring idly asked as if the world had gone completely crazy, the wyvern was still quite a shocking thing to see around here. Did Celestia even have this town properly protected? She turned to her three cloaked friends. “*Comforting words in Saddle Arabian and a quick explanation of the situation as far as she could decipher it.*”

“Just our lives apparently Miss Do.” Twilight spoke with a sing song voice as she trotted on by the cloaked explorer who was being dragged away towards Sugar Cube Corner by Pinkie and Trixie. Fluttershy was already arriving with a group of ponies to help with the wyvern. "Just our lives..."

Author's Note:

Daring Do done dropped in decisively.

In other news, tornadoes, power outages and lightning storms. At least there wasn't flooding at my rock, the one I still live under.