• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 6,437 Views, 474 Comments

Twilights Mane Passion - Darkonshadows



Twilight grows up with a strange passion and it changes her life from how it should have been.

  • ...
16
 474
 6,437

46


The party was in full swing and Twilight was enjoying the party games, the music and food.

Pinkie was being a good host to every single pony that has recently moved to Ponyville or even just visiting for a short time. Nothing was going wrong and it was too good to be true, even Rarity had to comment on it. Tress sat off to the side with Fluttershy talking calmly, they looked to be enjoying themselves and Pinkie made her rounds to them once or twice asking them if they needed anything.

“She really does look good in that dress, but I can’t help but feel something is missing from her ensemble. Her hair is quite gorgeous; you do good work Twilight. There’s nothing wrong with her makeup, it just feels like something was missing from her appearance.” Rarity had an eye for detail and the dress she made was getting put to use and so far hadn’t been ruined. It seemed like there was something off about Tress wearing the dress, but she really couldn’t think of what it could be as she currently looked fabulous. “The eye shadow really does add to her appearance a bit and she’s lightly dusted her cheeks, you two don’t really use too much makeup do you? Then again you don’t really need it.”

“What can I say? My best friend is looking a lot better since we rescued her. I even believe all my friends are naturally beautiful, including Rainbow Dash. Tress is still not a hundred percent though and she’ll eventually want to get back to two hundred.” Twilight had her mind working on the problem, Tress needed a large amount of energy and it didn’t necessarily have to all be in one go.

“Trixie still think it’s surprising that Pinkie earned her cutie mark from the same event that four other ponies did. Not all necessarily at the same time mind you, but Rainbow Dash does make for a colorful display and Trixie is considering making an illusionary copy of the explosion, do you think she has a patent on it?” Trixie was thinking of making an illusionary Sonic Rainboom a part of her act she was about to put on, it would be a good finisher.

“Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow, Pinkie and Fluttershy all have a connection to that event. Even Barb here has a connection to it.” Twilight had her daughter at her side all night and was happy to spend more time with her.

“Really, I saw the rainbow explosion last night. What does something like that have to do with me?” It was an explosion of rainbow light at night that had enchanted Barb’s vision, she stayed up late with worry about her mom and older sister figure.

“You were born during one, I hatched you when a Sonic Rainboom went off and was still going. I guess I share some connection to the event as well. How many ponies do you suppose Rainbow affected when she did that years ago?” There were so many variables to think of, Twilight wasn’t sure she’d even think of them all. That rainbow explosion had gotten as far as Manehatten if one were to listen to Applejack’s telling of it and how she got her cutie mark.

“Wow, I guess that does make me pretty special.” Barb smiled and snuggled into her mother’s chest. “Mom, do you think I’ll get a cutie mark someday, I mean I’m a magic dragon with magically mixed in pony so maybe I could have one.”

“I don’t honestly know, maybe one day we’ll find out when you find you’re special talent. Maybe you take after me and are good at magic.” Twilight giggled as Barb was now hugging one of Rarity’s legs.

“Yeah, that’ll be the day. I’m not you mom, I don’t think anybody is quite as power with magic as you are. Except maybe Rarity here, she’s a magic all her own.” Barb liked Rarity and wanted to be her close friend.

“Oh, she’s such a darling little sweetheart! If I didn’t know you’d come after me for stealing her away from you, I would do it in a heartbeat.” Rarity just started petting Barb affectionately causing her wings to flutter.

“You use a lot of gems and jewels in your dresses sometimes right? Well you’d probably give her back once you notice how much of your merchandise she’ll end up eating. Barb has a particular taste for ruby, sapphire, topaz and of course she likes diamonds as well.” The reaction was immediate and Twilight found Barb placed on her back by a sheepish looking Rarity.

“Then again, I wouldn’t dream of separating a child from her mother. To think she has such expensive eating habits like that, at least I know what to get her for her birthdays from now on. She will be around for more birthdays’ right?” Rarity would just give the dragon a bag of gems and jewels for Barb to snack on or use as barter for something she really wanted.

“Hey, I’m not nearly that bad mom! I eat regular food just like any pony. I also like a little bit of garnet as a finisher or as a bit of garnish. Tastes like pepper or cinnamon really, depends on how it’s prepared and what I’m eating it with.” Barb didn’t know why Rarity was looking at her in fear. It wasn’t like she was going to eat any gems at her boutique or go on a crazy jewel jacking spree.

“I know dear. It’s just that you eat them like candy when I do give you some.” Twilight looked back at Barb who didn’t meet her gaze.

“They practically are candy to me, candy that grows in the ground and tastes great.” Barb was looking anywhere but at her mother at this moment. “I really like jawbreakers at least and those are pretty cheap and inexpensive mom.”

“Alright Trixie you’re on to take requests!” Pinkie shouted out into a microphone, soon the magician was walking onto a small area of the floor. “Listen up every pony for the illusion master is on the floor and she’s taking request.”

Twilight smiled eagerly, she wondered if Trixie could do it. Walking up to Trixie, Twilight whispered a few things to her.

“Oh, is this a challenge I hear to the incredible illusion master Trixie? Very well, let’s see if I can conjure it up. Now stand back every pony while I work my magic.” Trixie lit up her horn and then took a step back and disappeared from sight, surprising many ponies.

“My word, I didn’t know Trixie could do something like that.” If Rarity had known Trixie could disappear, she would have asked her a long time ago to do so. Now Trixie was inexpensive help during one of her dress making idea sessions and she couldn’t get rid of her if she tried.

Slowly a spotlight formed in the middle of the room creating a circle on the floor. If one were to look up to the ceiling there were no spot lights and this was part of the illusion. Slowly a mass of colors started to form in the spotlight and rose up into the air before exploding into a swarm of tiny little fairy ponies.

“She’s good; I hope Fluttershy is enjoying this because I know I am.” Twilight had requested Trixie create a nature scene and she did just that. Soon the floor looked to have been covered in flowers and rabbits frolicking around, birds chirping and flying through the air. Not once were any of the animals conjured exactly like another in appearance. From a technical standpoint Twilight was awed, it was visually stunning including the deer drinking some water from a river that was just added to the serene picture.

The ponies watched in awe. When the illusion finished Trixie stepped back into view and in the middle of the flower field while sweeping off her hat in a bow and then the illusion fell away to a thunderous stomping applause.

“Are there any more takers for Trixie?” Trixie asked politely, she suddenly found herself swarmed by ponies with requests. She was thankful when Pinkie arrived to make them all back up so she could choose ponies to take illusion idea’s from.

“Excuse me, but I said I was supposed to meet you here?” The grey coated blonde haired mare walked up to Twilight.

“Oh hey there, we’re still wondering what you’re name is. We know you’re a mail delivery pony already.” Twilight was meeting new ponies all the time and she’s already met this one at three different ages, time travel was quite possible if heavily restricted. One can only wonder where Derpy gets her time jumping abilities.

“My names Derpy Hooves, it’s nice to meet you again for the first time Twilight. I’ll be your local mail carrier and if you ever need a muffin, you can always come to me.” Derpy had a bubbly personality and was quite friendly; she liked the nice version of Twilight no matter how weird the timeline was around her. “Now if you will let me go, I need to get my idea of Muffintopia out there to the illusion maker!”

Twilight was quite amused by some of what ponies could come up with; Trixie had dancing bananas with maracas before the night was out and there was a utopia made with muffins in the form of a tiny theme park.

Every single pony had had a good time.

Leaving the party late in the evening Twilight walked along the dark road on a starry night with her friends still chatting away in amazement at Trixie’s skills with illusions or about how Vinyl’s music felt like it was still thumping in their ears. Twilight’s thoughts went back to her parents, she really missed them and her thoughts went back to Derpy declaring herself their mail carrier. At least her mail would always be on time.

“What’s wrong Twilight, if you don’t mind me asking that is… you look a bit… sad.” Fluttershy walked up and nuzzled Twilight gently before bringing her into a nice quiet comforting hug.

“I think I’m feeling a bit homesick...” Twilight looked at Canterlot in the distance and Tress came up to stand beside her.

“Well why don’t we all compose a letter together and send it to them?” Tress hoped her suggestion would help Twilight feel better. It was only then an odd thought occurred to her. “Why don’t unicorns use the messaging spell more often?”

“Well a messaging spell will only work on small scrolls of a limited size and not many unicorns actually understand the workings of the spell. Even if you were to explain it to them, a unicorn understanding how the spell works is the only reason it does. If they can’t understand it then they can’t use it.” Twilight didn’t have any problems with it working for her and Barb even managed to get it to work. “So what should we write to my parents? About how Pinkie is an insane sugar high mare, meeting our last Hearths Warming fruitcake again recently or the five headed hydra that kept us sitting up on that ledge for a few hours.

“Why not tell them everything; I’m sure Velvet would want to hear about the bear I made friends with and how I met my pet Angel bunny!” Fluttershy smiled sweetly, she was going to end up giving her friends cavities at this rate. Goodness knows Pinkie tried to do just that with all the sugary baked goods at the party.

A day later in the Sparkle home, all the way up in the mountain city.

“Bill, bill, newspaper and what’s this. Hmm… a letter from Twilight, better get Velvet.” Night suddenly had an excited look on his face; he just had to tell his wife that their daughter finally wrote back after getting settled in. “Velvet, honey! Twilight wrote us a letter, stop fighting those pirates and the ninja’s.”

“Aw, but I’m winning.” Velvet had a gaggle of still conscious pirate ponies and ninja ponies to take down. She was currently wielding a three sectioned staff and a cutlass with her magic.

Floating nearby was the resident poltergeist slowly dissolving popcorn into its ectoplasm one kernel at a time; he was enjoying the action packed battle that had taken place in the living room. Hearing that Twilight sent a letter, he immediately floated for the couch and waited patiently.

“Now Velvet, I’m sure the pirates and ninja’s are problematic, but this is our daughter we’re talking about. She’s probably enjoying a more normal life then we are and she took the time to write us.” Night saw that he got through to his wife and she sighed.

“You’re right, our sweet baby girl sent us a letter so I should drop what I’m doing or else I’m a horrible mother.” Velvet let off on the magic holding her cutlass, she kept hold of the three sectioned staff though as she made way for the couch and sat down next to her husband. “Open it up dear.”

Opening it and pulling out fourteen folded sheets of paper Night sighed, apparently their daughter was having as much a blast as they were. He looked up at all the still conscious ninja’s and pirates gathering around the couch.

“Do you guys mind? We’re trying to read a letter our daughter sent us, so could you please kindly carry off your wounded and go somewhere else? If you keep bothering us, my wife might actually want to continue fighting all of you and I’ll join her. Now will all of you please leave?” Night saw the looks of horror on their faces. The ninja threw down smoke balls and in seconds all the ninja ponies disappeared from the room. The pirates had a unicorn that sent up a magic flare and a rope ladder dropped through a hole in the ceiling and they started ferrying their wounded out one at a time. The poltergeist started to leave with a sad look on its face. “Not you, you know we like you.”

The poltergeist floated back happily, he liked living here and didn’t want to be sent away.

“Dear mom and dad.” Velvet read out loud.