• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 6,437 Views, 474 Comments

Twilights Mane Passion - Darkonshadows



Twilight grows up with a strange passion and it changes her life from how it should have been.

  • ...
16
 474
 6,437

42

Tress was quietly finishing off the food Twilight brought for her, the zap apples really did fill her up along with the few carrots Twilight split between her and Rainbow. She spent a lot of her time glaring at Rainbow.

“You know, I’m getting the feeling that you two don’t like me very much.” Rainbow’s questioning tone was met with two flat stares.

“Tress, if you will do the honors.” Twilight motioned to her friend to go ahead and let her rip while she searched the walls. She was looking for a switch that didn’t lead them back into the hallway where the monster was patrolling. She was still trying to come up with a viable strategy, her last ditch effort would be getting swallowed alive and perform an expanding barrier spell from inside the monster without suffocating first.

“Gladly, Rainbow I’m going to be brutally honest with you. Get upset as much as you want because you know I’m telling the truth. Okay where to start with you? You probably got only straight C’s in school and the schools where you come from are already bad to begin with for a pony that doesn’t specialize in flying, weather or acrobatics.” Tress saw that Rainbow was about to ask what pegasus didn’t specialize in flying.

Rainbow immediately shut her mouth when she thought of one pony in particular; she just looked at the stony floor. She specialized in all of those areas equally, but still did poorly in school.

“They weren’t all C’s.” Rainbow muttered, she had at least some B’s and those were in athletics when she wasn’t goofing off.

“Which brings me to my next fact, what makes you so special? What exactly separates you from the average pegasus? Not very much at all, except for that one Sonic Rainboom you did and it’s not even an original trick as it is an old legend that has been done by another pony already. Fluttershy told me you wanted to join the Wonderbolts, have you thought of anything innovative or have done something completely original at least once?” Tress waited for Rainbow to say something, seeing nothing forthcoming she decided to continue ripping into Rainbow Dash. “Furthermore why do you want the fame and fortune so much? Ponies won’t truly like you for who you are, they’ll like you for the things you can do. Fan aren’t true friends Rainbow, they’ll turn on you the second you do something they don’t like. Who will you turn to then? I doubt ponies will show up to shows where you’re a one trick pony doing stuff other ponies have already done. The likeliest thing you’ll do is a variation on aerial tricks that already exist, which is in and of itself not very special either but at least it would be something.”

“Well I’m… I’m pretty good at…” Rainbow really had to think about this for a minute, she felt a pang of hurt go through her as she realized she had nothing truly special. Doing a Rainboom was the one unique thing she has done and a pony of the distant past had already done it. This means if she could do it, then so could any pony if they tried hard enough. What was the reason she originally did it previously?

Fluttershy… Rainbow did that for her chronically shy friend who was being bullied and then she left her to be bullied when she spent all that time with Gilda. Every single day she flew with Gilda, her friend sat and watched her play in the sky. Slowly she faded from existence and suddenly wasn’t there anymore. She hadn’t even noticed when Fluttershy stopped showing up at all.

“What makes you think you’re all that really? Do ponies truly think you’re awesome or do you see yourself being as such in a blind manner trying to convince yourself of it being reality? How many friends did you have when you came to Ponyville? How many do you really think you have now? You should be glad Fluttershy still considers you one of her friends. That that kind mare would even speak so highly of a moronic airhead like you, it says a lot about the impression you left on her when she was in her darkest hour. Have you recently asked Fluttershy about Gilda? What do you really know about the friends you’ve made if anything? What are you really doing here? Who are you trying to impress? There are no other ponies here besides us. If you really want to know what I think of you, I don’t like you at all and the only reason I tolerate you is because Fluttershy likes you and is my friend. She even had to ask me to play nice with you. Can you seriously tell me you’re going to go through life and get into the Wonderbolts by being as ignorant as you are?” Stopping herself from continuing Tress could see Rainbow cowering in the corner almost coming to tears. Maybe she had gone a tad too far. She could still think like an evil villain apparently, that would always be a small part of her and she would always be slightly tangled up in her past. At least Rainbow had a dream; Tress didn’t have anything to pursue herself and wasn’t all that high and mighty either.

“Tress that was kind of harsh, even for you. I found another switch, but I don’t know where it’ll take us. We still don’t even have a plan for taking on that thing.” Being really worried about her friend, Twilight hoped that she didn’t backslide into being an evil pony even with the minimal powers that she still has. She didn’t think it was even probable that Tress would backslide.

“Oh I know, let’s do what Rainbow would do. Press it anyway and hope for the best and that nothing bad happens to us, like falling into a pit of spikes!” Tress watched as Rainbow cringed at that.

“You’re taking this a bit too far now Tress, but I agree about the button. No time like the present as I have no idea how we’re going to take that thing down. Even if it was affected greatly by magic, I don’t exactly have any magic spells that can do lots of damage. We can’t stay in this small space forever and we can’t return to Ponyville where it will follow us to get at Tress or some other pony.” What Twilight did have was all kinds of spells and only one of them was the only true offensive spell she knew. It was the ever classic unicorn spell the magic missile.

Twilight had already fired a magic missile at the demonic fruitcake dragon. It was after she stuffed its mouth with debris while it was chasing Rainbow, that didn’t do much but push it back some. She would need to use a lot of magic missiles to damage the monster; it had to have a weakness of some kind. What would the food the monster was comprised of be weak to?

Twilight shook her head and finally decided to press the button. Immediately the floor opened beneath them sending them sliding downwards, screaming into the darkness.

The three ponies tumbled into a catacomb like area. The only noise Rainbow made were the few yelps as she slammed into the walls only to roll the opposite way on the way down. Twilight screamed the whole way down. Tress just sighed as she came to a rest on her side at the end of the line.

Tress quickly got to her hooves and looked around, where was the light for this underground area coming from? It should be pitch black down here as it was in the chute they fell out of.

Rainbow sat up and didn’t say anything; she just continued to look thoughtful. She didn’t cry but she looked disheartened.

Twilight just stood up and looked at the walls with some amount of awe; they were lined with enchanted lighting implements and were still operational.

They didn’t get much time to rest as the monsters head came around the nearby corner roaring immediately causing Tress to start running in the opposite direction. Twilight quickly levitated the depressed looking Rainbow and followed taking up the rear as best she could. The monster tried to squeeze around the corner and once it finally did the chase was on again.

Turning into a side passage way Tress stopped looking back and found herself in a dead end room with a pipe organ. Twilight followed her and realized the same thing she had, they had just cornered themselves.

Twilight immediately turned around and conjured a barrier over the entrance to the pipe organ room, why was there even a pipe organ down here? As old as this place seemed, a pipe organ seemed relatively odd as she knew when pipe organs were invented. Musical magic spell book, she was decent with a trumpet and it was a rather simple instrument, she may have gotten her head stuck in one growing up.

“Well, now what?”Tress asked as Twilight held the doorway; the creature started ramming into it several times. She walked up the steps to the pipe organ and started to search the wall. “Twilight unless you want to be an organ donor I think we have to stand our ground."

“Tress, really? You’re making jokes at a time like this!” Twilight cringed as the thing struck her barrier again and then it just stopped to look at her barrier. What was it doing?

The demonic fruitcake dragon looked at the walls around the barrier and a slow grim smirk crosses its face as it raised its claws and started damaging the walls leading into the room. Twilight couldn’t brace the walls directly for fear of weakening them with her magic.

“Huh, that thing is pretty smart.” Rainbow was still lost in her own thoughts and was slowly coming to grips with herself and the kind of pony she was.

“Tress, you better find a way out quickly.” Through her gritted teeth Twilight expanded her barrier slightly around the walls on their side of the doorway. The creature brought back both its claws proceeded to thrust them forward through the wall and Twilight’s barrier exploded sending her flying to land in a heap at the base of the stairs leading up to the organ. She laid there on her side groaning in pain.

“Twilight, oh you did not just do that!” Tress immediately ran towards Rainbow Dash, as the creature brought its left palm down on top of her. Tress’s eyes blazed into a green ring wrapped in a glowing red corona of power.

Rainbow closed her eyes shrinking down into herself only to feel the ground buckle slightly. She opened them to see Tress holding back its palm and was standing on her hind legs pushing against it. Tress was protecting her? How was she even holding that things palm back? It must weigh like a ton or something.

“Stop hurting my friends!” Tress grunted and with a shove its claw flew up into ceiling sending it stumbling backwards in shock. The angry pony immediately charged it and looked to be acting downright insane doing so.

Rainbow looked on in shock, her eyes flashed with a sudden understanding. Tress may not like her, but she still thought of Rainbow as a… as a friend?

Twilight sat up and watched Tress charge the monster, was she insane? Didn’t she know how strong that thing was or the amount of force it would take to even injure it?

The creature went to grab Tress with its right claw, Tress leapt on top of its enclosed fist with a ridiculous leap and then charged up its arm. It slammed its left claw down on its elbow joint and Tress just leapt onto the back of its hand and jumped straight up to its left shoulder.

Upon reaching its shoulder Tress kicked off of it with such a tremendous force the creature shifted right into her flying shoulder charge. The impact sent a large crack through the creatures’ cheek, in return it looked like Tress’s right shoulder caved into her body slightly. Tress started falling and she brought back her left hoof and threw an uppercut blowing back the creatures head causing cracks to form along its chin along with a faint burn mark.

Tress spun into her uppercut as she fell. Her hoof started crackling with energy as she spun around twice and then threw her hoof straight at its chest with as much force as she could muster while screaming in rage. Her hoof caught fire from the friction the moment it connected with the beast. The monster slid back three feet and massive crater appeared in its chest and it roared out in pain as it fell onto its back.

Tress’s eyes reverted to their normal blue and her right eye twitched as she fell towards the floor. She was screaming in agony before she even hit the ground and it looked like she was having a seizure before she passed out.

Twilight unsteadily got to her hooves and quickly prepared a diagnostics spell and screamed Tress’s name as she galloped towards her. The beast shifted a bit, but it wasn’t getting up at the moment. Rainbow quickly followed Twilight with tears in her eyes.

Author's Note:

Well that doesn't answer everything, but this is my one hundred thousand word chapter. To think it's been forty two chapters already.

I hope this was a good one, the fruitcake monster isn't down and out yet. Tress certainly is though and it'll be explained by Twilight later in great detail what she just did at the end there.