• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 8,678 Views, 342 Comments

Spike: The Last Draconian - Maneiac



Spike discovers who he truly is, much to the chagrin of Equestria as a whole.

  • ...
32
 342
 8,678

The Crystal Heart: Part 2

Spike

“...And that’s all it said.” I finished my story within the span of half an hour. I had waken up only twenty minutes before the start of my explanation, around the hour of Nine O’clock. Luna and I had somehow managed to become...entangled, with one another as we woke up simultaneously, with me being the former one to get up. It’s a wonder how I’ve yet to be slapped by her. So, after many awkward apologies and shy glances at one another, we were summoned to the Crystal Dining Hall for breakfast with Cadence. And here we are, thirty minutes into our eating time and me wrapping yesterday’s adventures up over coffee and bagels.

“Oh really? How interesting!” Cadence’s destiny was to utilize the Crystal Heart as her own, to become the Crystal Princess and help defeat King Sombra. You could only imagine the look of utter glee on her face when she learned that the Crystal Heart could speak. She’s still excited, even though I told her about it ten minutes ago. “So, it...she, wants to speak with you again? Oh, you have to take me with you!” At this, Luna nodded that she wanted to come as well. I could hear the enthusiasm in Cadence’s voice, but there was also a bit of a commanding nature behind her words as well.

“I don’t see why not.” I said dismissively, earning a huge grin from Cadence as I dove back into my crystal salad. It kind of tastes like mint, but crystals are not as fulfilling as gemstones. There wasn’t much left in the bowl, so finishing the portion within its confines took another minute or two. Luna was munching on a waldorf salad, dabbing at her muzzle with a white napkin when a little bit of dressing leaked out. She seemed positively peeved, which means that waldorf salad is anything but satisfactory.

Somehow...I know that’s coming back to haunt me!

“So, Spike,” Cadence asked, earning my attention, “When are you going? I must know beforehoof so that I can make preparations! A princess can’t just leave, her royal duties.” She seemed rather positive about going to the Crystal Gullet. I really don’t know why, because it almost looks identical to the Royal Castle Caverns, which was where she was imprisoned by Chrysalis. That’s really none of my concern, but I can’t help but worry for my...acquaintances.

To be perfectly honest, I’m still on the ropes about trusting anyone. Yeah...that especially, means Luna or Cadence. For all I know, they could be wolves in sheep’s clothing. I will not allow my heart to be damaged a second time. Everyone’s a suspect and no one’s innocent until they’ve proven themselves worthy of my trust. Luna’s making progress, but I still have my doubts. But there will be time to single out perpetrators later, for I had to answer this question that was just asked.


“Right after breakfast, Cadence. I hope this isn’t too much of an inconvenience for you?” I really couldn’t care less whether she said yay or neigh, but I have a reputation of a gentledrake to uphold.

“It shouldn’t be a problem, Spike. There’s really no need for a day court in the Crystal Kingdom, seeing as how our nobility look after those less fortunate than themselves.” She explained and in response, I turned my head to the side like a confused dog.

“Fancypants. Imagine roughly one thousand Fancypants as the nobility here.” She deadpanned, seeing the cogs turning in my head. My mouth formed an ‘o’ shape and made the same sound associated with the letter. I felt a piece of crystal fall onto my lap from my mouth, which, naturally, caused me to look down and find it. My eyes widened only for a moment at the muscular and skinny physique of my body. Luna had said that I looked different this morning, but I never knew that this is what she was talking about! I had abs! ABS!!!

“Is everything okay, Spike?” Cadence’s voice snapped me out of my fixed eye position, bringing my eyes to meet hers. Her eyes were full of concern.

“I’m fine. Just...a little happy.” I was trying hard to keep a smile from forming on my face. As Rarity had previously taught me, appearances mean absolutely everything. “But, I should get going. Best not to keep it...er...her, waiting any longer!” I shoved myself away from the table, earning me a shocked gasp from the Alicorn of Love. I hurried through the doors, but could instantly feel Luna’s magic beside me. With an audible pop, the Lunar Princess manifested beside me. I wasn’t too worried about her though, but I was worried about the sudden flux of magic energy manifesting to the right of me.

Another pop later, and there was Princess Cadence. Or would it be Queen, now that she was married? Bah, I have no time for this. It took nearly half an hour to reach the Crystal Heart’s chambers on foot/hoof. I opened the doors without a moment’s hesitation and walked jumped through the now opened gates, expecting to begin my immediate plummet. When my feet hit solid stone, however, I felt my cheeks redden in embarrassment.

“Oh my! Now that was funny!” I heard Cadence giggling first, but my embarrassment was only heightened by what Luna said before laughing.

“Oh, he thought he had wings, dearest niece!” That pushed the red on my cheeks off the cliff instantly. I balled my hands up in pure bashfulness before I started stomping my way down the steps that had betrayed my masculinity, hoping to at least make them feel the pain they were causing me! The princesses soon quieted their mirthful chuckles, stepping behind me in an equal pace with one another.

“Ugh! Why are these steps so long!!! HURRY UP AND- Oh!” My feet slapped against crystal and stone, marking our entrance into the long awaited Crystal Gullet.

“Hey, Cadence? Do you know why we haven’t fell through Tartarus yet? I could've sworn there was ninety foot plummet of certain demise before I saw that artifact.” I said nonchalantly, half-expecting her to answer me and half-expecting her to giggle. She did the latter first before doing the other.

“I call it: the Vandal’s Vortex. It was merely a defense spell used to stop thieves after the Crystal Heart. If you had been a thief Spike, that drop would’ve turned into a blackhole and ripped you inside out.” Cadence said as he passed me, for I had stopped moving after just hearing that little tidbit of information.

My stomach was doing jumping jacks.

“What? You mean I could’ve...died...again?” I stammered out in disbelief. Surely this mare didn’t think she was just going to keep walking like she didn’t just say something!

“I couldn’t know you would’ve weaseled your way anywhere near, the entrance of the Crystal Heart. Give thanks to whatever higher power there is that you didn’t end up...well, inside out.” Why was the alicorn of LOVE, acting so uncaringly!?

“Why don’t you care!?” Seeing as how staying stuck in my thoughts wasn’t going to get answers out her, I decided to start walking again, only to stop another five steps later. Wow. We were already here? That took no time at all!!!

“I give up trying to figure out this world.” A sigh of bemusement followed that thought as I walked in between Luna and Cadence, who had sat down and craned their necks up to gaze upon the Crystal Heart, which was still in the same spot that I had last seen it. Not like I expected it to move.

*I take it you told them about me?* The Crystal Heart had began talking instantly, but I was shocked when I saw that neither Luna nor Cadence could pick up on the words it was saying. Their ears, however, were swiveling to and fro, trying to pick up on the words as I continued to converse with the ancient artifact.

“I did. They don’t seem to hear you though, which is quite frankly shocking, seeing as how you are using large quantities of magic to induce your speaking capabilities. With them being ‘alicorns’,” I mocked their title by doing bunny-ears, “I would imagine them being able to conversate with you just as well as I am doing right now.” The Crystal Heart began flashing quickly, turning bright then dim every half-second. I was perplexed until I made the connection. It was laughing!

*Oh dearest me! To think you would be brazen in insulting the Princess of the Night and the Princess of Amore like that, in their very presence, no less! Absolutely priceless, my dearest drake!* A smile formed at the corner of my mouth.

“Excuse us, Miss Crystal Heart,” Luna took the initiative and made both Cadence and herself known, “I am Princess Luna, Co-Ruler of Equestria. If you don’t mind, I would very much like to hear your voice. It's quite rude to only address one of your guests, after all.” Luna awaited the Crystal Heart’s response.

*Wow, she catches on quickly!* The Crystal Heart exclaimed, causing me to raise an inquisitive eyebrow.

“Please elaborate.”

*I’ve made it so that only you and I can conversate with one another. My magical frequencies are attuned to...mythical serpents...as of right now. I speak on a variety of frequencies, yours being the easiest, what with the crystal orb from earlier in your years already attuning me to your natural magic energy.*

“What?” I asked in sheer confusion.

*In layman's terms, I’m simply more adept at speaking to you than anyone else, for it causes a great strain on my magical reserves. It shouldn’t be a problem to have a conversation with the three of you, but it would rob me of over half my magical energy, which, might I add, was accumulated over a millenia.* The Crystal Heart was actually pretty adept at dumbing things down! I’m no dummy by any means, but even that whole explanation was on par with one of Twilight’s Speed Lectures!

“So, are you willing to give it a shot? I’m more than sure that Cadence wants to talk with you and, Luna has stated that keeping them in the dark was rather rude and unbecoming of you.” I said as I sat down myself, stretching my legs along the crystal surface below. In response, the Crystal Heart began lighting itself in same crystal-blue aura it had surrounding it. Then, in a brilliant flash of white, the floating and now gyrating artifact came back into focus.

*Better?* The Crystal Heart’s sing-song voice rung out amongst the chamber. All three of us nodded in response as it...cleared its throat? What...I don’t even know anymore!

“You’re voice is lovely, Miss Crystal Heart.” Cadence was all smiles as she complimented the said artifact above us.

*First off, none of this formal crap. I can’t stomach the stuff, so you can just call me Krystal...with a ‘k’. Okay, Lovebird?* Krystal’s voice got an octave deeper and sounded like a middle-age mare...taking care of three foals...with a part-time job...and a cigarette addiction! What? Rarity just knows some ponies in the cities, is all! I don’t know any mares like that!



Cadence’s bottom jaw plummeted to the floor as she stared in shock. I guess the Crystal Heart has a reason to be mad, seeing as how she could talk for twenty years and her wielder just saw her as some type of rare and powerful object. Come to think of it, when did I start treating her like a...well...her?

*Now, Princess Night-Light, I couldn’t give two damns about who you are. And now that I have your attention, sit down, shut up, and let me talk! I want to get this over with as soon as possible! You might not’ve realized it when you first walked in here, but I was actually asleep, you know, when you close your eyes and dream? Bunch of brightly colored, rainbow-riding, overweight, beasts of burden.* Luna’s face matched the one her niece was making, starting a round of chuckle from me.

I should’ve stayed quiet...

*And what are you laughing at, Skinsy the Magic Dragon!? You could make a parachute out of the extra skin you have! Did your fatass ever stop eating as a child!?* Krystal snapped as I quickly silenced my chuckles.

“What crawled up her...whatever, and died today!?” I thought while I growled menacingly enough for her to stop her mid-sentence of her following rant. “Listen! I didn't know you would be sleeping, granted it is relatively early. That does not, however, excuse your attitude and insults! Fix yourself accordingly, or you’ll be adding to the list of gems I’ve eaten!” For some reason, I could feel Krystal gulp.

*Fine! Geez! I just got tired of being treated like an artifact is all!* She responded dejectedly, acting like a child that was just caught and was now apologizing for her actions. She could be a millennia old, but that doesn’t mean her mindset matured with her age. *Anywho, I won’t be apologizing for what was said earlier about all three of you. Now, if you would all be so kind as to listen, I shall share the knowledge of Spike’s ancestry.*

Ohhh...this is going to be good!

*We will start from the beginning, like any other story. Only, this story wasn’t one with a happy ending. There was no prize, nor grand and joyous celebration. This was a time of war. Where blood was the currency and soldiers, the banks. It was a war not between Equestria and other nations. It was a war that was said to end all wars. I tell you this in hopes that you could just begin to grasp the atmosphere back then. When ponies were selected to don the armor of Mistress Light, their families put bits aside for a casket and tombstone. This, my dear audience, was the Great Vindictus War!*



*It was a war between the forces of good and evil, no matter what form it took. Dragons, Changelings, Gryphons and Ponies were united, standing side by side against Lord Dark and his son, Lucian. Lord Dark is the brother to Mistress Light, who was the deity commander of Light’s Holy Order. Millions upon millions of angels, demons, gryphons, humans, ponies, changelings and other races clashed in what we call planes, or temporal shifts. They are basically different dimensions hidden in the multiple layers of one dimension. The war dragged on for eons, with neither side giving ground to the other. Planets were decimated. Solar Systems annihilated in the span of minutes! It was pure bloodshed.*

*Beings able to control time, tried to walk into the past and assassinate the opposing deities, seeking to end the conflict through means of Time Manipulation. For every assassin sent, another one followed and killed him or her. Never ending struggles, on planets, in space, on ground, over the sea, in the air, you name it! Through the darkest pits of Hell to the pearly gates of Heaven! The battle, however, was soon shifted in evils favor.*

I gulped nervously while the two alicorns flanking me listened with undivided attention.

*This is the story about star crossed lovers, whose love threatened to tip the scales should either of them act upon their feelings. Their names and titles were earned throughout the war. One being an angelic dragon of holy might and the other a demonic dragon of terrible strength and magic. They were also your parents, Spike.*

“Say wat?” I turned my head in confusion as Cadence gasped and Luna raised an eyebrow, while still keeping a serious look about her features.

*Your parents...as in your mother and father. Now don’t interrupt me, it’s very rude. AHEM!!! We shall start on the holy one. Her name and title? Sevinna the Vindicator. Her power in light-based magic leveled whole platoons and she was a complete and utter tomboy. I happened to be apart of her consciousness, and it is widely believed that I’m the remainder of her soul. That legend, although it’s a shame, has dwindled into nothingness overtime. Nevertheless, she was and Arch-Dragon, which meant she was able to utilize magic. No other dragon, save your father, could do this. She was a gigantic, twenty-five foot tall angelic death machine. Crystals jutted out as her wings except for her wing bones that held them in place. Her scales were a dull-white, which accented her sky-blue underbelly and jet-black horns, claws, and talons. Her irises were a rare black, and with them it is said that she could look into the past lives of her enemies.*

*Although she was rather large, she wore the Sacred Cross of Light, bestowed upon her by no one else other than her Mistress. She was rather rebellious and chose to be at the forefront of any attack or defense, giving morale on the field with her prowess in combat. Her favorite type of elemental magic to use was Ice, which is a stong but sub-category to the main element, Water. She could make scythes, daggers, arrows, you name it! But there was one thing she longed for. With all her power and high standing in the marshall courts...she longed for a mate. No male gave her the time of day, stating that she was the quote-on-quote, male.*

“Ouch.” That had to hurt my mother.

*But, during a raid from the Necro Strikers, the elitist of the elite in Lord Dark's Purgers, on the plane of happiness, she ran into the dragon that would forever change her life.*

“My father.” I said with renewed interest, for I had been dozing off during the description of my late mother.

*Indeed. Vorlianth the Deathlord was only second to Lord Dark’s son, Lucian. He led the Necro Strikers across many a plane, smiting angel and other forms of life alike from Light’s Holy Order. His skill in necromancy was, for lack of a better word, unholy! He was both a Dracolich and a Siegewyrm, which was rare...very, rare! It is said that the only way to know if he and his horde was coming, would be a series of signs that would make themselves apparent. Number one, the waters would turn a bright and pulsating green, the faces of souls trapped for his amusement screaming as they broke the surface of any liquid. Number two, would be the horrible scent of death and fermentation. Last, would be the flaps of his seventy-foot wingspan. By then it is already too late to run. Undead soldiers rise from the ground under his control and kill anything that is alive, allowing him to seize strong points with minimal effort.*

*He prefered to do things the old fashioned way, however, and opted to divebomb whole battalions on his lonesome. The families of Light’s Order bought the caskets and gravestone because of Vorlianth. A squad of ten to twelve paladins in golden armor were assigned to each battalion to offer the souls of their fallen eternal rest, before they were snatched up and added to Vorlianth’s strength reserves. He was the only Arch-Dragon in history to wear any constructed armaments, such as bracer around his wrists to deflect oncoming strikes from other dragons or spells from holy mages. His twenty-foot long tail was armed with a spiked mace of purest obsidian, which he would use to level groups of soldiers and other beings. He was feared so badly, that females offered their newborns to him in hopes of keeping their own lives.*

“That’s absolutely disgusting! They were not ready to birth a foal then!” Luna snapped angrily as scene like that played through her mind. A mare on her hooves, nosing her foal to this demonic entity who would then kill it before the mother’s very own eyes! Despicable! Unforgivable!!!

*He would then proceed to kill both the newborn and the birth mother, taking both their souls for his own instead of the offered one. He truly menacing to behold indeed! He towered a good sixty-feet, earning him the title of Zirrusk, or Father, in the dragon tongue. It’s impossible to pronounce without a forked tongue, which your father was very fond of, Spike. He would roll it out when he was board, sticking various objects and what not between the two pieces of moving flesh. But, I digress. His scales were a smokey-grey and black, which was highlighted by his pure-yellow eyes...as in he had no retina or iris...it was just yellow necrotic magic

“If you don’t mind Krystal, could you skim ahead to their meeting? Hearing their descriptions and all is nice, but it’s certainly not needed. Also, couldn’t you have just magically constructed images to put in our heads about my parents? Why waste your magical energy talking when a picture’s worth a thousand words?” I asked with genuine boredom written on my face. I wasn’t expecting the answer that followed though.

*It’s because I like talking and hearing the lovely sound of my own voice. But if you insist on visual aid because your an ass with no imagination, then I suppose skipping ahead to the picture part of the book would be more up your alley.* Krystal responded snobbishly.

“Ouch.” That one was for me.

Krystal picked up speed in her gyrating motion, illuminating herself and charging the magic within her. I could see from the faces of the royal figureheads beside me that they too were receiving the images of my parents. The first one was obviously of my mother, and I did see a lot of facial features that matched my own.

“Oh, she seems rather powerful...and pretty.” Luna nervously said. I knew she was telling horseapples though, because even I thought she looked unpleasant. I don’t know what it was about her, but she just seemed angry.

The next image brought gasps from all of us.

“And that ugly sucker is dad, hunh?” I asked dismissively. To be honest, they both seemed like total flank holes. I guess, in a messed up way, that they were meant for each other. Still, I wonder how my life would’ve turned out if Twilight hadn’t gotten my egg for her exam.

“Well...at least the loved one another...right?” Cadence stammered out. Oh yeah, she’s here with us! I had completely forgotten about her since she’s not that important! Why I even agreed to let her come along is still a mystery to me! Woah...when did I get so irritated?

Krystal was now breathing heavy in our conscious, making all three of us exchange nervous glances with one another.

“You don’t have to continue on any further if you don’t want to, seeing as how you’ve been talking for at least, three hours now. We could always come back.” I said worriedly as the labored breathing began to subside over time.

*Yes...thank you. Those images were hard to construct given my limited magic, but I guess you got the basic look of your parents. We’ll continue this chat later, preferably night time. I need my rest.* Krystal’s light was fading in and out, and she had stopped her gyrating motions. I had a theory that needed proof, however.

“Before I leave...what’s my abnormality?” I asked Krystal, to which she just sighed in irritation and overall weariness.

*It’s magic, like I told you before. You’re not a dragon, but even if you were, it would not matter. Its rare for any species outside of equines to use magic. You can’t do magic like telekinesis or levitation, but the natural elements are yours to learn. I’ll tell you everything later, but as of right now, the air around me is calling my name.* Nothing else was said. I felt her presence leave my mind and, based on the looks of Luna and Cadence, theirs as well.

“Well she was a bucket of sunshine.” Cadence said dejectedly as she shook her head in disappointment. “I expected her to be fairly nicer, given her origins and status.” I sighed and facepalmed at this.

“You try being a rock for a thousand years and see if everything’s all sugar and rainbows.” I jabbed, getting a glare from the alicorn in return. Luna chuckled as we turned around and headed from the staircase that led here.

---

“That was informal to say the least. I now know that both my parents were envoys of destruction and slaughtered millions. I still don’t know how they hooked up, or how their feelings developed for one another, but that would be a tale for later I suppose.” I said to Luna, who was busy chewing on a freshly cooked blueberry muffin. Cadence had left earlier to rule her land.

“Twas quite a treat, but now we must get down to what I’ve been waiting to do.” She said after clearing her throat of the yeasty treat.

“Oh, and what would that be?” I asked, my curiosity piqued once more.

“Appearances, my friend! I simply cannot tirade around with you! Ponies will know who I am and eventually...who you are! That would cause a lot of unneeded problems! Make haste, for it is time for us to assault the path!” She exclaimed boldly as she rushed past me, her tale smacking me in the face hard enough to cause minimal discomfort. I rubbed at the sore spot.

“I think you mean, ‘hit the road!’” I yelled after her as we left the castle, for we had been sitting in the foyer after going to the kitchens to grab a snack. I could only wonder what she planned, but...knowing her...it wasn’t going to be pretty.