• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 3,209 Views, 336 Comments

The Happiness and Peace of Mind Committee - FlanChan



Twilight and her friends live in a dystopian society and try to revolt.

  • ...
18
 336
 3,209

Chapter 9: Starting With a Notion and Dropping Preconceptions

The Happiness and Peace of Mind Committee
Chapter 9: Starting With A Notion and Dropping Preconceptions

Twilight abruptly woke from her dreamless sleep. She glanced at the digital clock on her nightstand. It was still an hour or so before she had to be up for the speech, so she considered just going back to sleep. However, something in the back of her mind kept her from slipping back into her blank state of mind, so she decided instead to sit up in her bed and think about something. She wasn’t exactly sure what, but right then seemed a good time as ever to think, what with the cool atmosphere and the dark room that was just light enough to see her surroundings as the sun began peeking over the horizon.

She adjusted her sheets and pillows and sat up, her back laying up against the wall. She let her mind wander for a little bit to find a topic of pondering, and the first thing it went to was how two of her friends were already gone in such a short period of time. What was it about recently that made such things happen? They had been doing so well for such a long time, so why all the sudden was the group breaking apart?

She fiddled with her hair a bit as she pondered further. What were they going to do now? Fluttershy and Applejack were such good friends to them all, so there was always a sort of incomplete feel at the meetings nowadays. They didn’t feel like they were all there during their meetups, or at any point in their lives really. At least, that was how Twilight felt. She wasn’t positive about the others, although they probably also felt that way.

It was so uncanny suddenly not having someone be around anymore, though. One day Fluttershy was there and seemed to be pulling through pretty well, and then the next day she was jarringly yanked from existence. Applejack had a similar situation, only it was even stranger because she was still physically there, she just wasn’t Applejack anymore. She was just a lifeless happiness zombie that blindly obeyed all of Emerald Joy’s wishes, which is a lot more painful to deal with. At least when someone dies you don’t have to see them every day. Twilight had to physically hold herself back from running up to the brainwashed Applejack and talking to her, constantly reminding herself that it wasn’t actually Applejack she was talking to.

Now that Twilight thought more about it, about the time that everyone started getting killed off was in correlation with when they decided to get serious about figuring out some way to rebel against The Committee. Was it just a coincidence, or was some higher up watching over the group and trying to halt their progress?

And on that same line of thinking, Twilight realized that since the New Era began, none of them really decided to take on rebelling against The Committee. Everyone saw it as too daunting a task, and either wrote it off as too difficult, that they couldn’t do it with their current resources, or that they would just stumble upon something someday that would give them all of the answers. So, in a way, none of them were really doing anything to help their cause. Everyone was all talk and no action, planning everything without actually doing it. It hurt a little to come to that conclusion, but it was the truth, no matter how much she felt she was insulting herself and her friends.

“That’s it,” she thought aloud, “from this day onward, we’re going to push forward through this mess and figure out the way. No more sitting around and doing nothing, it’s time to take action!” She jumped out of her bed with renewed spirit, then turned as her alarm clock went off. Now would have been the time that she would get up and write her diary entry, but her mind was already swimming with too many thoughts to sit down and focus on writing. She planned her course of action for a few minutes longer, until she was halted by her television.

“Good morning, everybody!” Emerald Joy chimed with a sickeningly sweet voice, matched with a smile. “I hope you all slept wonderfully, but now it’s time to come meet with your friends for the speech of the day!” With a flourish of her gown, the screen darkened and Twilight was met again with silence. She cleaned up her living space, tidied up a bit, then walked out the door, her hopes high and her confidence up to eleven. She was ready to end this nonsense, through any means possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey, Rarity?” Twilight said, catching up to her friend as the crowd began to disperse. “Do you have a minute?”

“I don’t see why not,” Rarity replied, brushing some hair away from her face, using her magic to fix any potential tangles. “What is it, darling?”

“Well, actually, I think we should have this conversation in private…” Twilight whispered, gesturing her eyes towards one of the security androids buzzing around. Rarity nodded in understanding, then wordlessly led Twilight back to her home.
Upon arrival, Twilight was a little stunned at how beautifully the house was decorated. There was soft velvet furniture and intricate designs on the wallpaper, to name the first things that caught her eye. Rarity drew up a couple chairs and offered Twilight one of the seats.

"So what is it that we need to talk about?” Rarity asked, sipping at some herbal tea she had brewed. She offered Twilight some, but Twilight declined.

“Well, I was thinking this morning about how we weren’t exactly doing much regarding rebelling, and I figured now was a good day as ever to get our act together and actually get some work done,” Twilight explained. Rarity lowered the cup from her mouth.

"Why do you bring this up with me? Aquamarine or even Rainbow Dash would seem a lot better fit for you to talk to about such matters,” Rarity responded skeptically.

“Actually,” Twilight continued, “you are the best option for me to talk to right now. You work for The Committee after all, so you’re already inside the system. There’s no need for you to break in to get anything, within reason of course.” Rarity raised an eyebrow.

“What exactly are you getting at?”

“What I’m saying is that I want you to try and wiggle some sort of information out of Emerald. You said it quite a while ago, didn’t you? She’s quite an open book.” Rarity shifted uncomfortably and set her cup onto the table.

“Yes, I did say that, but she is only an open book when it comes to pretty unimportant matters. You saw how messed up she was when she talked to me at Apple Bloom’s execution, didn’t you? That’s the way she acts all the time, speaking with flawed and stretched logic. There’s no way that I can get anything coherent out of her, much less anything helpful,” she denied. Twilight sighed and layed back in her chair a bit.

“When I said that we needed to get serious about finding a way to rebel, I didn’t say it was going to be easy,” Twilight pointed out. “And the way you’re thinking right now is the very flawed mindset we’ve had this whole ordeal. We right things off as too difficult or not possible for the time being and then never attempt it. That is why we need to actually get our heads in the game and do the work that it takes to get things done!”

“I suppose you’re quite right…” Rarity mumbled, a bit hurt. There was a moment of silence. “That last sentence you said, about getting things done…”

“Yes?” Twilight inquired.

“I—it’s the kind of thing that Applejack would have said in this sort of situation…” Rarity stammered, trying to keep her cool. She dabbed at her eyes, trying not to smear her makeup. Twilight flinched.

“Yes, I—I suppose you’re right…” she agreed awkwardly. Applejack was a bit of a touchy subject at the moment for obvious reasons. There was a longer stretch of silence as the two struggled to find a way to move things along.

“Well, if that’s all that there is to say,” Rarity said, breaking the silence, “I think that we should go our separate ways. I’m sure you have a lot of work that has to be done regarding investigation, and I don’t want to hold you.” The mares shook hooves, and Twilight exited Rarity’s home without another word.

Once the door closed behind her, Twilight realized that she had no course of action for the rest of the day. She stood in front of Rarity’s front door for a stretch of time before she decided that the best thing to do would be to head back to her house and read over the book she had found the day before about The Elements of Harmony. It was the only book in a language that she could read that she had seen in a long time, and she wanted to savor every moment of reading it that she could.

Twilight took a left and headed home, an unnaturally large smile plastered upon her face to pass by the androids undetected. She casually entered her house, and the very second that she was positive she was alone she dropped the ridiculous act.

After sitting down in a chair and getting situated, Twilight flipped to the first page in the book again to see the table of contents. She had rushed through it when she first discovered the book because she was being quick to summarize what the actual content was about, but now she could actually take some time and take a look at the book’s finer details.

She surveyed the table of contents, and one particular section caught her eye. It spoke about what seemed to be the origins of The Elements of Harmony. She turned to the indicated page number to get some more insight.

Long, long ago, there lived two regal sisters who ruled together, and created harmony throughout all the land, it began. Twilight was already skeptical. What was this, a children’s book? Nonetheless, she continued reading.

To do this, the eldest sister used her magic to raise the sun at dawn. The younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained a balance in their kingdom and among their subjects.

However, one day the younger sister grew resentful, as everyone frolicked and played in her sister’s day, but were afraid of and shunned her beautiful night. On one fateful day, she refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one’s heart made it impossible for her to see reason. She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal darkness.

Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponykind: The Elements of Harmony. Using their power, she defeated her younger sister and banished her permanently in the moon.

The elder sister took on responsibility of both sun and moon, and harmony has been maintained for generations since.

Twilight blinked. Was that really it? Was that the story between the two goddesses who used to rule over the land before Emerald Joy took over? Granted it wasn’t very useful information at the moment, so she really shouldn’t have been as awestruck as she was. The book must’ve been very old, since from a quick skimming she found that it had no information about the younger sister, who’s name was Luna, returning after her banishment in the moon.

She turned to the next chapter, which apparently dealt with The Element of Magic. Why did that particular element need its own chapter? Well, she knew that it was important, but was it really so great that it warranted a whole chapter to itself?

The sixth, The Element of Magic, is the most elusive of them all. It is only revealed when the other five are present, and only then can they all band together to unleash their power. And even if the five others are present, only with a spark will The Element of Magic reveal itself.

Twilight scratched her head. She was going to question how The Element of Magic would apparently go away, but she knew better than to question the basic nature of how magic worked. She sighed and flipped a few pages forward.

The Elements of Harmony can only be used to their full power when they have six bearers to channel their magic through. However, the means in which to harness their power is unknown, as the only times they have been used was when Celestia and Luna activated their power. They could use three elements each as they had the power of a unicorn, a pegasus, and an earth pony, but in any other instance six bearers would need to be present.

Twilight scoffed. Even if she were to figure out how to get to The Element of Harmony and somehow got enough people to use them, she would still have absolutely no idea how to go about actually tapping into their magic reserves and using them. She sighed again, snapped the book shut, and set it back on her night stand.
She went about a few more menial tasks to occupy her time, sometimes stopping to look through the book again to see if there was anything she had missed (which ended up being a fruitless effort), and eventually the hours whittled away and the day came to a close. Twilight slipped under her covers, flicked the light off, and fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Good morning, everybody!” Twilight turned in her bed as she heard the announcement. Had she really slept through her alarm? “I hope you all slept wonderfully, but now it’s time to come meet with your friends for the speech of the day!” Twilight sat up in a huff, begrudgingly moving herself out of bed. She wanted to fall back asleep. Couldn’t she sleep a few more minutes? Of course, with her luck, she would probably sleep through the late alarm, too.

She sleepily got ready for the day, knowing full well that she was probably going to be late. It didn’t matter, though. She had heard that speech so many times she could recite it perfectly in her sleep. Man she wanted to go back to sleep.
She opened the door, and noticed through the smiles of all the others that she wasn’t the only one that would much rather be in bed instead of trudging down the pavement towards the town square. Maybe it was just one of those gloomy days? But Emerald controlled everything in the town, so why would she let this kind of thing happen?

Twilight reached the center of town, and even though it was quite a few minutes after the speech should have started, Emerald Joy was just sitting in a chair and smiling patiently for everyone to gather. Twilight perked up a little at the abnormality of the situation, but she was still quite drowsy. After another minute, Emerald raised the microphone to her lips and began speaking.

“Hello, everyone!” she cheered. The crowd wasn’t nearly as energetic as usual, but she seemed ignorant towards their lack of motivation. “We’re all feeling a bit sleepy today, huh? I bet you’re wondering why, huh? Well let me explain it, all of it, to all of you!” Twilight perked up again. So there was a reason to everyone being so tired all of the sudden? And Emerald was the one behind it? She tensed. This couldn’t be good.

“You all have been forgetting stuff lately, aren’t you all? Your memories are getting foggy and your passions hazy?” She paused and pouted sympathetically, then brightened. “That’s no good, now is it? How can you be happy when you can’t remember stuff? Sometimes I get all the way to work and then I remember that I forgot to get dressed! It’s such a simple oversight, but it really puts a damper on my day!”

Is she for real? That’s a lot more than a simple oversight! Twilight thought.

“Anyway, I had this really big idea that I wanted to tell all of you! Unfortunately, the first stages of this idea makes people really sleepy! At least I know it’s working, right?” Emerald explained, though it still wasn’t very much of an explanation.

“What’s that? You want to know what my idea is? I’m so ecstatic that you asked! It fills me with happiness that you asked! You see, all of your memories, I’m going to return them to you!”