• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 1,827 Views, 30 Comments

It's Mommy's Special Day! - Toraka



Normally, days in the Sparkles' house always start the same way. However, this day is not normal, and there are two ponies intent on making it the least normal day ever.

  • ...
1
 30
 1,827

Morning in Canterlot

"Psst! Shining! Don't make so much noise!" a certain filly, called Twilight Sparkle by some, murmured, certain to be on the edge of audibility.

"I'm not the one making noise here, you are!" Shining Armour hissed back, urging his sister to sneak through the corridor faster. He was right, of course. While she was silent by young fillies' standards, she still made enough noise to wake the dead, not to mention two parents who were only pretending to be asleep.

Once the two sets of hoofsteps had distanced themselves far enough from the door, Star Sparkle sighed and said, "It's that time of the year again, isn't it? I feel older each time- wait."

Crescent Sparkle, her sky blue husband, chuckled and sensibly kissed her as if he was hoping to suck the age out of her like poison from a wound. "They'll probably whip out something to surprise us. They've learnt from last year, I'm sure of it. I'll go and watch over the two, you just stay here and enjoy. It is your day after all."

Star had to admit, simply hearing his deep voice always calmed her down, especially when it told her to do what she desired anyway. As soon as he had left the bed, she turned to best utilise all of the pre-warmed blanket and murred after him, "I'll be happy if the house stays where it is this time," before dozing off into the peaceful slumber of a mare awoken around three hours early.

Cloaked under a plain stealth spell, Crescent made his way downstairs in actual silence. At first, his search for the foals proved fruitless. Once he'd reached the living room however, the two apocalypses on legs made themselves heard again, and he had to wonder why he hadn't figured to check in the kitchen in the first place. He crept up to the leaned door, listening for the best moment of entry.

"Come on, come on!" Twilight cheered. Ponies often mistook her attitude for rushing, but any who knew her would quickly realise it was simply a way to express her boundless energy.

"We would already be on it if you hadn't held up on the toilet," Shining grumbled back, his voice carrying only the tiniest fragment of malice.

"But I had to!" she moaned to defend her decision. Even if Shining had held anything against her, she had a way of melting even the most fortified of hearts through immeasurable amounts of adorableness.

In fact, she was so efficient with it that Crescent simply had to end the hiding game and join them right then and there. He wouldn't be able to muster a strong enough spell to hide himself on the tiled floor, as opposed to carpet, much less being in the same room as them, anyway. As he pushed through the door, he asked, "You two got anything in mind?" as if he didn't perfectly know already.

"Don't you know what day it is, Daddy?" Twilight piped with wide eyes. How could her own daddy not remember such an important date?

"I seem to have forgotten. Why don't you tell me?" he said while settling down at the kitchen table. They could manage themselves between the immaculately white cupboards and utensils, it was time for them to prove that. It was well that Star was still asleep, he thought. There was no telling how she'd react to the kitchen's state after the two were finished with it.

"It's Mommy's special day!" she happily explained. That filly had potential to be an amazing teacher, he thought. While they'd have to wait for her cutie mark for confirmation, the only thing that surpassed her eagerness to share her knowledge was that to gain more. Perhaps she was right to wish for studentship at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Not that anypony had ever doubted her abilities, of course. She'd probably end up teaching her own instructors two weeks after arriving, what with the small library in her room that she had already memorised, as well as the big one next street where she was currently in the same process.

Meanwhile, Shining discreetly rolled his eyes while rummaging through the closets. "Yeah, and we figured we'd bring her breakfast into bed. Without Twiley doing magic, this time."

"But she said I gotta practice!" She turned towards Crescent seemingly expecting assistance. He had no will to intervene, however. The two of them were seemingly unable to fight over anything, so he just had to wait and let the situation solve itself, if there even was one.

"Fine, you can make the coffee. Guess even you can't blow up the water," Shining said, though he betrayed himself moments later by stepping an unusually large distance away despite using magic to operate the frying pan.

Crescent couldn't blame him. Twilight would never intentionally hurt anything, true, but only if everything went as she had planned. Often, it seemed that she simply had too much power within her for her young body to handle. Leaving the two to prove their beginning maturity, Crescent's mind wandered. She was too good to end a teacher. She'd have to be more. Perhaps a professorate at Canterlot College. Or even a place in Princess Celestia's lead magic research team. As head researcher, of course.

A sudden bang tore him back into reality. She had in fact managed to detonate the water jug and was now facing its boiling hot contents flying towards her. Before he could as much as lift a hoof in response though, she was safely enveloped in an orb of ruby energy. As the water harmlessly splashed off of Shining Armour's signature spell, there was something on her face that not many fillies her age would show in such a situation, a smile. She didn't scream or cry in shock and fear, but instead showed her genuine amazement at the magic on display.

Without anypony speaking a word, Crescent fetched cleaning equipment to remove water and awkwardness equally. Nopony would admit it to visitors, but - mostly harmless - accidents were so common with Twilight that none of them asked if she was alright after yet another bang, instead waiting for her to scream for help. It saved everyone a lot of running and worrying where it was unnecessary.

Fortunately enough, the remaining work ran without a hitch, perhaps because the males had agreed to not let Twilight use magic for that much longer. It had taken much encouragement and calming speech to keep her happy, but at long last, the three of them stood in front of the bedroom door ready to enter. An almost excessively filled tablet floated besides them, supported only by the aquamarine glow of his magic.

"They say it's your birthday... we're gonna have a good time... I'm glad it's your birthday... happy birthday to you," Twilight sang to herself, actually nearly silent for once. She had such a sweet voice, too. It seemed like a waste to bring her into studying, but that clearly was her wish and, besides, there were few career paths which combined singing and magic. Not to mention that there existed even less such paths which Crescent would allow his prized daughter to follow.

"Working on a new song, honey?" he asked. In all likelihood, Star wouldn't mind if the delivery would be postponed a little, especially not if the extra time went into Twilight.

"Yeah. Not really done yet," she replied with lowered eyes as if that was any problem, "but I'm working on it!" She then looked back up, revealing the joy that had never left her heart.

"Make sure you show it to Mommy when it's finished. I'm sure she'd love to hear it."

She nodded her tiny head. "Will do."

At long last, he knocked needlessly, announced himself, "Little surprise incoming," and lead the foals inside. There she was, graceful as ever, even when she was hastily trying to conceal that she'd been merrily asleep seconds ago.

"Happy b-day!" Twilight cheered, pushing past the others and leaping onto the dual bed. While she was busy claiming her share of cuddly love from Star, the rest of the family, as well as their breakfast, entered with slightly more dignity, though Crescent couldn't tell which way would be preferable. Ultimately, it'd have to come down to how adorable you could be when flung across Star's neck.

Obviously, things weren't going to stay as they were, Crescent wasn't that dumb. Time would rob them of occasions like those as it forced the little ones to found their own lives, with their own family. However, in that very moment, none of it mattered. They would always carry such moments in their hearts, regardless of what happened or where they'd end up. When the time for it finally came, they would be able to watch their offspring grow, find challenges, and overcome them. Shining Armour would ensure safety to those of greatest importance. Twilight would seek out and solve mysteries about magic that had baffled ponies for centuries since. All in due time. For now, the only thing of importance was that their family stood together, be it against catastrophes or to join each other in a lying breakfast.

Comments ( 30 )

Remember when I said that I was never ever going to write more fluff? Well neither do I, so on that note, more f:yay:in' fluff!

Okay, context. Recently, I was informed that Mater (which is Latin for Mother - gosh I'm so SMRT) will be officially aging soon. On Monday. Hey, don't blame me for forgetting, I've got other stuffs to mind! Like the slicey slicey leg stuff, for which I'll leave the day after. How well this all fits. :moustache:
So, I did what every sensible person would've done in my position. As the cell with high Polymerase V production said, "F:yay::yay::yay:CKF:yay:CKF:yay:CKF:yay:CK fix it fix it fix it, I don't care how!"
(Pol V is a protein that can repair broken DNA. It's not very accurate, but it's preferable to having, say, broken DNA.)

So I wrote this. Because writing is all that I do. Good thing I'm fairly awesome at it, else my life would be pretty sad.
Crescent's many thoughts are in there because I had to assume actually, I know for fact that my target audience knows only Twilight out of their family. And because I refuse to write stories which do not contain at least the slightest trace of reading worth.

For inspiration and getting the right feel, I also felt like I had to listen to old music while writing. You know, old stuff. 50 years. Back when physical records were still a thing. What I'm going at is that you're old, Mater. Anyway, not that that was any kind of bad, of course. Perhaps those of you who fit the profile my family keeps painting for you (50 year old men reading pony fan fiction naked) will even recognise a certain line within this fic. I haven't hidden it too hard.

I was also battling the urge to have FillyNight just appear randomly and making her and Twilight's parents have one of those adult celebrations where you basically just eat some cake, drink coffee, and play card games for a bit. Given that I once tampered with the thought of making Star Sparkle and Daylight sisters, that wouldn't even be that far fetched. (I eventually abandoned it because it'd make the two fillies cousins and thus Splitting aMid the Night a tiny bit awkward, especially now with what's going on in the later chapters.)
Oh my, yet another metaphysical joke which no one will get. Oh yes, why did I resist said urge? I suppose it would've made this fic into something that it simply isn't. This is not... something, it's a story about... uh, you know the part.

I feel like I maybe should be bothered that I have a fairly accurate idea of how a fourtysomething year old family father thinks. I'm moreso however by that the same is true for 8 year olds. I mean, that's a decade in the past for me, even!
God, I'm old. And so are you, Mater.

2240961 Oh look, somebody comments on my shit...
*reads*
I have no strong responses one way or the other.

Just for posterity: That comment was radically edited.

Crescent Sparkle? I thought it was Night Light?

This story was Hilarious!

2241025 Canonically, his name is N/A. So really, take whatever you want. I chose to use their - Sparkle variants here in order to establish something like a last name. Because the Sparkle in Twilight Sparkle just feels like it shouldn't be part of adressing between friends, and quite honestly, it's used exactly as I do in the show.

Shining Armour you say? He's adopted, of course. Don't you watch FiW? Coming to think of it, should I spell him Armor as it's an original name, with the knowledge that this spelling is wrong?

2241090

How bout Night Sparkle? What is FiW?
Adopted, haha that changes evrythin

2241111 Friendship is Witchcraft. You sir have been missing out on something if you don't know it.
Well, how else do you explain that she does not seem to have given any kinds of fucks about him before the Wedding?

2241128

My friend said they took them all down?

just...adorable....I LOVE IT:pinkiehappy:

2241150 Nope. In fact, there's another one come out recently. I think Cherry Bomb might be down, but the rest is up.

2241165

I'll go take a look in a while.

2241165 They've moved all their FiW videos to a new website powered by Vimeo.

Oh, and this is a cute story, too. :twilightsmile:

Capin THE SHIELDS ARE FAILING THEY CAN'T STAND UP TO THIS MUCH RAW DWAAAA!!!! :twistnerd: I loved the chapter great job

2242684 We are adorable. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. You will be diabeetus'd.

Also: Oops. Didn't mean for it to be incomplete. This is the full length that it'll be. But thanks for your favorites.
If Bad Horse is allowed to do such things, then I'm allowed too, on accident!

2243432 Crap! quick set phasers to FEELS!

2243570 Uhm... uh... all power to the hug drives?
I'm crap at this.

2243688 lol not a problem I was half way asleep when I made the first comment the second was just for lolz

2240409 That was adorable! In my TwiMavVerse of fics I have Twilight's parents name being Andromeda and Orion. Some people flipped their shits over that. MUSTACHES! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

zel

Shit, look at all those likes.

2318651 I know what you have in mind right now, what with my Bleeding powers and all, and if you do, I will have the next part in the Nocturnal experiment row feature you and knighty, then hack fimfiction and post it as your account.

Fluff. It's that pointlessly adored.

Filly Twilight + Beatles lyrics = win

2973021 You might be the one person to actually notice that. Or perhaps the one to notice it and be literate enough to post about it. I suppose that's how it runs, as a survivor from an ancient time.

...

A better time. Though I doubt you were there for the Beatles, simply because Beatles kids are now sort of old. But what do you know, in this fandom.

2973330
I was born after the breakup, but only a few years after...

2241090

Canonically, his name is N/A.

The accepted names for Twilight's parents are Twilight Velvet and Night Light. Twilight Velvet's name is even on merchandise. It's your story, do what you want, but expect people to bitch about this because you're wrong.

3428259 Canon := What is in the show, where both of them put together have had about ten seconds total of screen time, across three seasons.

So no, I won't take those names as canon because so said some people who model RD and Fluttershy the exact same.
Besides, they're nonsense. It is the only logical consequence that Equestria would adopt the system of first and last name for its innate organisation if the populations are anywhere as big as they want us to believe.

3428652 Right, because Applejack, Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, and Apple Bloom all have...

Oh wait.

3429007 Psssht.
At least there's some relation between them all.

Besides, hate-disliking a comment that doesn't share your view on a subject with no true answer is a bit below both of us, don't you think?

This is a cute fic. And yeah Twi's parents actually have no actual name. The only reason people call them what they call them is because they look "similar" to an older generation of MLP, but it really doesn't matter what you call them. I enjoyed reading this.

Login or register to comment