• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 2,446 Views, 169 Comments

Follow Your Heart - Blue Spark



When some of the worlds population has been changed and the future at times looks bleak, what choice do we have left but to follow our heart?

  • ...
4
 169
 2,446

Terra Bolt I

Follow Your Heart
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic © Hasbro & Lauren Faust
By: Blue Spark

/)\*Sub-Chapter 1*/(\
~Terra Bolt~

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED, IF YOU HAVE READ IT BEFORE I ADVISE THAT YOU READ IT AGAIN IN CASE YOU MISS SOMETHING

I wonder why I can't go to school? I dunno why most kids are glad that they don't go to school but I'm not. Sure it gets hard at times but that's where all my friends are! Christian, Alex, Blake... Even Shelby! Sure she's a girl and all the other boys say girls have cooties but she's really nice! She's my best friend. I even hear she likes My Little Pony! Though I don't know why Conor and Axel don't want me to tell people though... Something to do with me being made fun of but I don't think my friends would do that- That's a big dog...

"Hey Momma, look how big that dog is!" I shout as I tried to lift myself up more in my booster seat to get a better view of the really big dog. I always wanted a really big dog, I mean, think of how cool it would be to ride one like a horse!!!

Wait a second...

Momma looks at where I'm gesturing and smiles. I really like it when she smiles, it makes me feel happy that, well, that she's happy too.

"You're right, it is a pretty big dog." She then turns her head to focus back on the road while I try to get settled back down in my booster.

Dogs are the coolest animal ever! They're loyal, great companions, always there for you; heck, Applejack has a dog too and she's the best pony in the whole world! *GASP* Maybe I can get one too!?

"Mommy, can I have a puppy?" I ask while trying to use what my brothers call anime eyes or something and look as cute as possible. Parents always get the cute child whatever they want in the cartoons when they pulled this off.

She pauses for a moment and looks like she's thinking about it.

“No.”

Huh, guess I was doing it wrong.

She sees my disappointed look and quickly replies.“I think that there are enough animals in the house as it is." She chuckles a little at the end.

"We have animals in the house? I thought we didn't have any pets." I said while I stared at her suspiciously.

Maybe she got me a dog and was hiding it from me!? That must be it!!!

She takes in a sharp intake of breath and I can see her eyes grow wide from the rear view mirror.

"Honey... Do you know what a pony is?" She asks slowly.

Ignoring the question now, huh? I shrug it off and decide to ask about it later as I think over what she asked. I think this is one of those "deep" questions that Axel told me about. He says you need to think hard on the answer.

“Hmmmmmmmmmmm...” I mumble as I stroke my beard.

Okay, well, I don't have a beard yet but give me a few days. Dad can grow one in three I think... Look! I can already feel the the fuzz on my chin! Nope, wait, that's fur...

Well drat.

"I think... A pony is a small, magical horse that usually lives in Equestrian. They are really nice and don't like to be mean. They don't eat any meat and can eat flowers. And you can either be an Earth-Pony, Unicorn, or Pegasus." I finish off my thought with a nod, I think I described ponies pretty well.

I have the strange feeling I forgot one though...

She lets out a sigh and shakes her head.

"That wasn't exactly where I was going with this but... Maybe I should have one of your brothers do this."

"Do what?" What does she need to ask my brothers about?

"Terry, sweetie, not everyone knows what a pony is, I don't know what a pony is, and until they do know they might assume that you're, well, animals."

"Technically, people are animals too." I point out smugly.

"What I mean is, you aren't human anymore. People are going to look at you differently and because of that they are going to judge you-"

"Like rakeism?" I hear that's a bad word.

"What?" She blinks and looks back with a confused expression.

"You know, when people hate on other people because they're a different color?" I think that's how it was... Or was it when you rake the front lawn?

"Do you mean racism?" She asked, sounding surprised.

I nod in response.

"How do you know about that?"

"Well, I asked Axel why there were mostly Unicorns in Canterlot instead of Pegasi or Earth Ponies."

She looked over at me, as if expecting me to say something.

...

What? Why is she staring at me? Is there something on my face!? *GASP!* DID I JUST GROW A HORN!? CAN I DO MAGIC NOW!?

A quick glance up does confirm that I did NOT spontaneously grow a horn.

So much for wanting to grow up as Harry Potter...

"And?"

"And what?"

"And what does Unicorns, Earth Ponies and Pegasi have to do with racism?”

"Oh! Well, Axel said that all the Unicorns were jerks and because no other pony wanted to be around them so most of them left Canterlot."

"I don't quite think that's really the correct-"

"And the reason they were being meanie pants in the first place was because they thought Unicorns were better than any other race, next to Alicorns, because pants." I take a deep breath after that, also, talking non stop makes me thirsty. Either way though, I think that sentence would make Pinkie proud. I've been practicing my speaking in long sentences talk too.

She blinks for a second before nodding.

"Alright, I guess that sorta makes sense?" She pauses for a moment before another thought crosses her mind.

"I notice that Spencer and Chase have either wings or a horn, I'm guessing that they'll eventually be able to fly and... Use magic?" She threw a questioning glance.

"Yeah, Spencer will be able to fly, move clouds, and control lightning! Chase will be able to cast spells, levitate objects, and all other sorts of cool stuff like teleporting!"

Mom stares at me in shock.

"Really? Telepor-"

BEEP!

Her sentence is left unsaid as she makes a full blown stop, the car dangerously jerking forward and I have hold on for dear life as a car goes speeding past us from the light we were in. Mom rolls down the window and is about to shout at the car but stops short as it begins to dangerously swerve. We watched in growing horror as we see the car hit the sidewalk, sending it flying and flipping it over on its back. We sit there for a minute before I decide to break the silence.

"That... Looks SO cool! Can we make our car do that!?" I tried to get a better look at the other car in my seat.

Mom ignores the question as she is digging around in her purse for something. I glance around at the other drivers and people at the street to and they all have their cell phones out as well, some talking on them while others are taking pictures. I hear a Mom say something under her breath and I decide to direct my attention towards her.

"It looks like the emergency line is busy but judging from all the commotion and people with phones out help is already on the way."

She continues the car on it's way at a more cautious pace, a few other people were continuing with their day too but would glance every now and then at the wreckage. There wasn't much they could do anyway, no one there was a doctor. As we move past the car I take one last look at the wreckage.

And inside of it was a pony.

Or at least I think it was a pony... I couldn't quite tell what kind of pony it is but I think it's a pony because of how brightly colored the person in the driving seat was.

"Hey Mom."

"Yes sweetie?"

"I think the driver was a pony."

She sits there but I could see the surprise on her face. She glances at me for a moment and the look quickly shifts to worry. She reaches over a hand and runs her fingers through my mane. I can easily tell that she's upset.

"Momma? Are you gonna be okay?"

She takes a quick intake of breath and nods but doesn't say anything.

The rest of the car ride was in silence.

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

I was trotting in a field full of tall green grass and wild flowers with my dog when I felt a sudden lurch. A moment later I
find myself rubbing my eyes and trying to get a good look at my surroundings. It took me a second to realize that I was in the car and a glance up from my booster seat confirmed that we just entered a parking lot somewhere. I soon felt another bump jerk me fully awake, looks like it was caused by some of the speed bumps that stores put up.

We soon came to a stop and Mom got out of the car. I tried to undue my seatbelt but for some odd reason I can't press the switch. I grunt in frustration as I continue with renewed vigor, not noticing Momma opening my door.

“Here, let me.” She reached over and began to undue my seatbelt.

“No, I got it!”

“Terry, look at me.” I kept fussing with the button box thingie. “Terry, stop.”

“But I-”

No.” My eyes shrank and I gulped as I heard THAT voice.

The one voice that you know to never, EVER, go against.

“Yes Momma...” I said sadly as she leans over and releases me from the booster seat.

She sighs and looks at me sadly while I stare at the floor.

“Look, Terry, I'm sorry for being strict with you but there are some things you just can't do anymore by yourself now.”

“But I was able to get myself out yesterday...” I Whine.

She shakes her head.

“You were a human then, you are a pony now. Because of that you'll learn that maybe there are some things that you can't do now that you were able to do before.” I look at my hooves as I hear this and contemplate on the meaning.

Now that I think about it, maybe being a pony isn't such a good thing...

I sniff a little, afraid of any other fun stuff that I won't be able to do anymore.

“But...” Momma grabs my chin and lifts my face to look at hers, wiping away an excess tear in the process.

“I'm sure there are many more things that you can do that you weren't able to do before.” She rubs my hair and steps back, offering a hand to help me down.

“Think not on what you can't do, but what you can do and focus on that instead.”

I reach out a hoof and she holds it as I make the jump down from the car.

“And know that either way I will be with you every step of the way.”

I stand there and smile, knowing that she'll be with me most of the way.

As we make our way over my Mom grabs a cart and we make our way in.