• Published 15th Mar 2013
  • 3,468 Views, 199 Comments

Spike's Journal - WorkingClassWriter



Twilight gives Spike a journal. He is not amused. Nevertheless, he shall write whatever happens to him and his friends in it, no matter how strange. Covers S1, with bonus chapters from the CMC.

  • ...
6
 199
 3,468

Winter Wrap Up

Spike's Journal
Written by The39Ponies
Edited by cwiis

Winter Wrap Up

Wait, what did I say in the last entry again? That I probably wouldn't write again until winter was almost done? Well, guess what? Winter is wrapped up. Oddly enough, the whole process felt like it only took about twenty minutes, even though it was more like a few hours.

Now that I think about it, it feels like my entire life takes place in twenty minute blocks. Maybe Twilight's been messing around with time spells a bit too much lately.

...Okay, I'm getting a bit off track here. Where was I?

Somehow, we managed to fix the damages from the bug swarm up before Hearts and Hooves' Day. But don't think that I ditched you. The only reason why I didn't write is because I was so busy helping everypony fix the town. That, and nothing interesting happened anyway, probably due to the town taking a collective half-month break from having interesting things happen after the bug swarm, just to be safe. Not kidding, we held a town meeting for it and everything.

A couple days after we finished the repairs, Twilight decided to wake me up early. Like, really early. That's a direct violation of Statement #8 of the Dragon Code, which requires at least twelve hours of sleep a night for young dragons. Hmph! Well, at least she figured out she woke up a bit too early when she walked outside to a faceful of moonlight.

See, we woke up early because it was the day Winter Wrap Up took place (we should really buy a Ponyville calendar sometime). I was a bit confused by the idea, since back in Canterlot the royal family just used their magic to melt the snow, and after that nopony went outside for a few hours. Simple, but efficient. And wet. Seriously, Canterlot practically turned into a waterfall for a few hours every year!

In Ponyville, however, it was a different story. Turns out that everypony wraps up the winter physically. You're not even allowed to use magic. What?!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Unique Equine Facts #11:
Ponies often make rules, regulations, and traditions that either make no sense or are extremely inefficient.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Well, at least it looked fun. There were three main jobs: clear the sky, wake up the animals from hibernation, and clear up the ground (don't ask me what they were going to do with the excess snow when it melted). Unfortunately for Twilight, she wasn't really good at any of those. Her brilliant solution? Sing a song. Really.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Unique Equine Facts #12:
Ponies are constantly bursting into song. Not that said songs aren't catchy, just saying.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, after that heck of an act, Twilight didn't feel any better about her kinda-uselessness, so she decided to try the tasks firsthoof. First up was Rarity, who was making artificial nests for the birds. Twilight must have misheard, because she started making little birdie outhouses instead. Rarity went nuts trying to fix Twilight's nest, but apparently she did quite a number on it.

After that disaster, Twilight decided to try her hoof at clearing the land. Pinkie Pie was skating on the lake to make the ice easier to break up, so Twilight decided to try it out. After all, ice skating can't be too hard, right?

I'm surprised Twilight and Pinkie didn't need to go to the hospital after all the times they crashed.

By now, I was beginning to get ticked off at Twilight, so I told her to just give up and use magic after all. Of course, she declined and decided to try helping Fluttershy wake the animals. Hey, that sounds simple enough. Why didn't she just do that in the first place?

I don't know how she managed to wake up the snakes first, but I haven't seen her run so fast in years.

Once we finally calmed her down, Twilight went down to the farm to help AJ with the plowing. Come on, I can't think of a more unfitting job for her! There's no way she can do this unless--

...Yes! She's finally using magic! Wait, why's she making a giant snowba-- oh no.

Anyway, AJ scolded her after that mess. That must have hurt Twilight's feelings a lot, 'cuz she ran away holding back tears. You know, maybe AJ should have been the Element of Brutal Honesty.

Well, I was trying to comfort her when we realized that Twilight's various hi-jinks were kinda slowing down the whole Wrap Up. Just then, she remembered the one thing she was absolutely superb at: making lists. Twilight took over organizing the various groups, and we just barely managed to get the job done on time.

...At least I think it was on time, 'cuz I fell asleep sometime before we finished. Not sure where, but I woke up floating in the lake. And, since everypony was laughing, I assumed they were trying to pull an early April Foal's prank on me. I may be shivering now, but wait 'til they see my Poison Joke.

Today, I learned that if the rest of the town is doing something important, you should just kick back and not interfere, because chances are you'll just end up running from snakes. That's a good lesson, right?

-Spike