• Published 15th Mar 2013
  • 3,469 Views, 199 Comments

Spike's Journal - WorkingClassWriter



Twilight gives Spike a journal. He is not amused. Nevertheless, he shall write whatever happens to him and his friends in it, no matter how strange. Covers S1, with bonus chapters from the CMC.

  • ...
6
 199
 3,469

Introduction: Why The Hay Am I Writing In This?

Spike's Journal
Written by The39Ponies

Introduction:Why The Hay Am I Writing This?
Dear Diary:

First of all, although I know it says "Spike's Journal" on the cover, I'm positively sure that Twilight Sparkle got into the wrong section of the bookstore, and realized her mistake on they way home. Well, to be honest, she is not the most creative mare in the world. When she gave me this, it had blue paint dripping from the cover. Also, I could see a few remains of feathers and glitter. A slight dent obviously told me that she removed a ribbon.

And only one other notification: I am not in love with you, despite the fact that I called you "dear". Clear?

So, anyway, I don't feel like I have to remind myself who I am, but I bet Twilight will read some of this at night, while I'm sleeping. She, she's a pretty good writer and reader, which means if I just right a simple, short sentence or two, I'm bound to get some sort of lecture in the morning.

I'm Spike, a dragon. I live with Twilight Sparkle, a unicorn. Why? Well, for starters, it all began when she kidnapped me from my parents on a secret mission.

...Okay, I was just kidding. Really, they say that they found some dragon eggs near a mountain. So, they give the eggs to Princess Celestia, the head of Equestria. I don't know where they eventually ended up in, but I somehow landed up in a testing room in Princess Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns. (Gee, that name's kind of boring, isn't it? Why not make a name like The Institute of Epic And Awesome Spells of Havoc For The Whole Nation? Well, I guess that would be too long.)

So, I had to undergo the unfortunate way to hatch: cracked open by a magical explosion of purple aura. Also, as an addition, I grew bigger. Like...twenty percent bigger? Nah, that's too small. About two hundred percent bigger, something like that. Princess Celestia arrived about five seconds later, ending the spell. Somehow, the filly who had caused me to hatch ended up having two new privileges;1.Being Celestia's private student, and 2.the responsibility of taking care for me.

All this while, I was sucking my tail, probably because my thumb was so small.

Actually, Twilight Sparkle's a pretty good caretaker. One, she's smart, and I appreciate somepony smart. Two, I'm convinced that she can kick flank with her extraordinary magic abilities. Three, she's purple. (Hey, you feel better when there's someone your color, right? Especially when it's uncommon.)

Do I have problems with her? Well, she's way too bookish, she seems to have a case of minor Asperger's, she's can be an egghead sometimes, and she's incredibly asocial. (I heard that word when Twilight was reading a book to herself. That's another habit of hers, and, no, I don't know why they don't just call it antisocial. It's a mysterious world.)

I'm especially concerned on the last one. I mean, she always finds some excuse to avoid hanging out with ponies other than Celestia, family, her foalsitter and me. She almost never leaves our dorm in this ivory tower, and she has never talked to anypony else unless it's about studies. I hope it's resolved soon. I mean, she's been throwing birthday invitations away lately. What is she going to do next, hang a sign around her neck that says "Go Away"?

Did I mention about her being bookish? She's transformed this dorm into a library. Except that the books are for her only, and I'm certain that almost nopony reads these things anymore unless they're old-school principals, royalty, or they somehow transported from five centuries ago to this time.

It seems like she noticed her love of reading wasn't rubbing off on me. (Well, at least for those kinds of books, anyway. Give me a simple chapter, adventure, or picture book and I'll be happy.) So, she gave me this uncreative "journal" and said something along the lines of this: "Spike, my No.1 assistant who delivers tons of letters to my mentor, everyday? If you don't mind, I'm giving you this journal, so that you can write in it every single time something interesting happens."

So, I'm forced to write down every single time something interesting happens, and they have to make sense, which means I have to be honest, like I can't write that Twilight got wings and went trough a portal and became one of those rumored human creatures ,but kept her new wings, and that I went to the moon straight after that. I also have to write a complete summary of what happened. so I can't just say "Today was an interesting day because we picked strawberries". I'll have to described what time we picked them, how we cooked them(if we did), and describe it's taste. Actually. that isn't so bad with strawberries.But still, nothing interesting ever happens around here that much.

Which means that this book will eventually end up in a place I like to call "the basement". Or, it could end up in "the closet."

Really, I wish we could move. I don't enjoy this "fancy life" so much, and from the looks of it, neither does Twilight or her family. But hey, what do we do, give up Twilight's privilege as Celestia's protege and move to Mustangia and become cowstallions? I don't think so.

Still, I live a pretty decent life, so I'm not complaining. I'll just wait for an interesting moment to come, wait for Twilight to get friends, and wait for jelly to fall from the sky. My only other worry with Twilight is that she's looking at filly storybooks now. I mean, she's nineteen. Why the hay does she read those?

And why the hay am I writing in this?

-Spike

Author's Note:

Ah. My first fanfiction. It's not that great IMO, but I am satisfied with the way it turned out. Do comment if you're able!