• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 4,046 Views, 107 Comments

Birthday Wishes - StarFall825



Scootaloo's eighth birthday is coming up soon, and her life is going pretty well. Sure, she can't fly and doesn't really have any friends, but she has two parents who love her and a nice home. What more could she want?

  • ...
2
 107
 4,046

Chapter 6

Scootaloo slowed to a fast trot as she reached the bottom of the hill. Her head throbbed in pain, causing the filly to wince; the thoughts were running around her head so fast it hurt. She was angry at Diamond Tiara, angry at her classmates, angry with herself. And she felt guilty, guilty for yelling at her dad, guilty for losing the race, guilty for—

Her train of thought was broken as she felt herself hoisted into the air by her tail. Yelping in surprise, she looked up into her dad’s face, her tail firmly held between his teeth. It was hard to tell how angry he was by her angle, but she assumed it was slightly more than a little.

“Let me go!” Scootaloo yelled, swinging and kicking uselessly at her father. “Put me down!” She flailed wildly at her father, and as she swung in his grasp, she managed to land a few blows that were little more than grazes. Cypress ignored her; eventually she gave up trying to hit him and subjected to being carried through town like a shopping bag.

At least it’s not the most embarrassing thing to happen to me today, she thought to herself in an attempt to raise her spirits but the giggling of onlookers foiled her effort. Her ears and face burned. I can’t believe dad’s doing this to me, she thought as she covered her ears to block out the laughter. This is the worst day ever.

It was hard to tell where Cypress was taking her while looking at the world upside down, but she thought they were headed for the center of town. Sure enough, a few minutes later, he was carrying her up the steps to the gazebo in the town square. He was careful to raise her high enough so her head wouldn’t hit the steps, but she still pulled her head in to be sure.

After he set her gently down on the bench, Scootaloo immediately sat up and turned away from him, folding her arms in defiance. She cringed in surprise as he spoke right into her ear, not loud enough to hurt, but loud enough to get her attention.

“Don’t move from this spot, Scootaloo. Understand?” She didn’t answer, just scooted farther away from him. That was enough for Cypress apparently; she heard him turn and walk away, the clunk of hooves on wood changing to the soft swishing of grass that faded away. She was finally alone with her thoughts.

I can’t believe he did that to me, especially after I told him to leave me alone, she thought. This whole thing is his fault anyways.

Is it his fault though? She argued with herself. He was trying to help you stand up for yourself. Just because you weren’t strong enough to do so doesn’t mean he was wrong.

Well, maybe, she admitted. But he still should have left me alone.

Why? Dad saw you were in trouble and he tried his best to help. Instead of accepting it, you yelled at him.

Yeah, well, I was angry, she maintained stubbornly, not ready to admit defeat just yet. All I wanted was some time alone, and he wouldn’t even give me that.

Well, you’re alone now. Feel better?

…No.

Scootaloo sighed, burying her head in her hooves. She felt like crying again; all the anger was gone, overwhelming guilt filling its place.

She didn’t know how long she sat like that, but when someone nudged her slightly, she jumped. Startled, she looked up at her dad; her emotions must have been written in her face, because he smiled at her sympathetically.

“It’s okay to cry, you know,” he said, holding out an ice cream bar for her. Scootaloo just stared at it.

Wait, I tell dad I hate him, and I get an ice cream? She must have hesitated too long, because Cypress shrugged and pulled the bar away. Scootaloo quickly reached out and took it before he could move it out of her reach. “I’m not crying,” she said as she slowly opened the treat.

“I know, Scoot; I know,” he replied, sitting down on the bench as far from her as he could. He didn’t have a bar of his own he just sat there looking at nothing. Scootaloo took a small bite and grimaced at the taste. The strawberry tasted sour, and the chocolate was bitter. She made a small noise of disgust, and Cypress turned to look at her. He must have seen the look on her face. “What’s the matter?” he asked.

“It doesn’t taste right,” she replied, holding the bar out for him to have a taste. He took a small bite and let it set a moment before shrugging.

“Things don’t really taste as good when you’re sad,” he said. Scootaloo took another bite of the bar before offering him another bite. He took it, and then she took another one herself. Then she moved ever so slightly closer to him, and he did the same towards her.

“Does it taste right to you?” she asked him.

“Not really.” They both scooted closer to one another, close enough Scootaloo could grab her dad’s hoof if she wanted.

“Dad?“

“Yeah, Scoot?”

“Are…are you mad at me?” she asked. Cypress was silent, so silent Scootaloo turned to look at him from the corner of her eye. He didn’t look mad, but he stared into the distance with a blank expression that did little to help her. “Dad?”

“No, Scoot, I’m not mad. I’m just confused. What happened, why were they making fun of you?” Scootaloo shifted about, uncomfortable. Cypress turned to face her, a comforting half smile on his face. “Look, Scoot, I know I was pushing you earlier, and I am sorry for that. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want, but I’m here to help you if you want.”

Scootaloo didn’t answer; her nerves and guilt fighting against the part of her that wanted to confess everything to her dad. She felt his eyes staring at her, stretching the silence painfully until, with a sigh, he stood.
“Alright, kid, I’ll leave you be,” he said. “Make sure you’re home by dinner.”

Cypress turned to walk away, but Scootaloo reached out quickly and grabbed his leg. “Wait, Dad— I do want to tell you, I just…” She stopped, her eyes glancing around at nothing as she searched for the right words. “I just don’t want to talk about it because it’s… embarrassing? That’s not really the right word for it...”

“Shame?” Cypress asked. Scootaloo nodded, looking into her dad’s eyes for a split second before the sadness and worry she saw there forced her to look away. She heard him settle back down next to her on the bench, then the familiar weight of his hoof rested comfortingly on her head. “It’s okay, Scoot, take your time and tell me what happened.”
Scootaloo took a deep breath, turning to face Cypress without looking at him.


“So, you challenged this other filly to a race?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo replied. “Apple Bloom.”

“Right, Apple Bloom. So, what happened?” Scootaloo sat quietly, getting up the courage to continue her story. Cypress was too distracted from keeping calm to notice. That his daughter had to defend her worth from a couple of schoolyard brats made him want to kick something, and the effort to keep calm set his hooves shaking.

“It… it isn’t fair. I tried hard, really hard,” she said, her voice barely audible as it cracked with emotion. She cleared her throat, blinking rapidly. “I, uh, I ran so fast, faster than I ever have; I was winning!”

“What happened?”

“I—I tripped.” Scootaloo swallowed visibly, staring straight at the ground. “I took the final curve too fast, and I slipped on the grass. It was horrible; everypony was laughing at me, and Sweetie Belle—“ Scootaloo took a deep, shuddering breath, turning away to hide her face in case she started crying again.

“She…she looked—she hates me now.”

“She told you that?”

“No, but, she has to. I got her hopes up, I stood up for her and then I-I—“ With a strangled cry, Scootaloo turned and buried her face into Cypress chest, hugging herself to try and hold in the tears that wouldn’t stop. Cypress wrapped her up into a tight embrace as her tears ran down his chest, soaking into his fur.

“I-I’m not c-crying!” she sobbed into his chest.

“It’s okay Scoot, I know, I know,” he whispered into her ear, stroking her back and head, shushing softly to try and calm her.

The minutes ticked by, but it wasn’t long before Scootaloo’s sobs turned to sniffles and she was wiping the last of her tears from her eyes. To Cypress surprise, instead of pushing him away, she wrapped her own arms around him, returning the hug.

“Feel better?” he asked her once she had calmed down enough.

“A little,” she replied in a subdued tone that didn’t inspire much confidence. Still, she did tighten her hug slightly, and that was encouraging.

“I’m glad. So, when you said that all this was my fault…” Cypress could feel her face warm where it was buried against his chest.

“Oh, right; I’m really sorry, Dad. I didn’t mean any of those things I said.”

“So, you don’t hate me then?” he asked.

“No, Dad,” Scootaloo answered, blushing from shame. “I—I didn’t mean that; I was just so angry, and I took it out on you.” She pushed herself deeper into his embrace, nuzzling against his chest. “I love you Dad; I don’t think there’s anything you could do to actually make me hate you.”

“Really?” Cypress went completely still, then he gently pushed Scootaloo away from him. Confused, Scootaloo reached out, trying to maintain the hug, but the deadly serious look on her father’s normally cheerful face scared her into motionlessness. She felt his hooves on her shoulders shaking.

“What if I told you the reason you can’t fly is because of me?”