• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 5,907 Views, 89 Comments

A mother's choice and consequences - Punsz



After her plans were ruined her hive now in destruction all shes has left are two young changeling. Will the choices she make now be for the better of her last remaining children or will she lose them again?

  • ...
20
 89
 5,907

Chapter 5

I placed the last stone on the ground, placing it around the lump of dirt in the earth before me. A tear fell from my eye as I sat and stared at the sight.

A few hours ago…

"I'm sorry, but there was nothing else I could do." The lavender unicorn's head fell and walked past me. I stood at the doorway, staring at the bed where one of my children lay. I walked up to him staring at his lifeless body; tears streamed down my face as I placed a hoof on his cheek. He felt so cold and empty… I pulled him into a hug as if to warm him up. His body fell limp and lifeless against mine while I cried into his shoulder quietly.

"Chirp..?" I looked down behind me to find Chirp staring at her brother and me. I wiped the tears away my face only for them to be replaced by new ones; I slowly placed her brother back on the bed. Chirp walked up to her brother quietly as if she thought him asleep. She jumped on the bed staring at him. "Chirp chirp." She said happily. She nuzzled his face, but as she did she stepped back, shocked by his coldness. She looked up at me as if I knew something was wrong; tears ran down my face as I leaned down to her, lifting her from the bed to embrace her in a hug.

"I'm sorry my child, but your brother is gone." I breathed pitifully. The room fell quiet; the only sound that could be heard was from the little changeling in my grasp. Small sniffs and hiccups could be heard from her.

"No... Brother not gone..." She mumbled with tears now filling her eyes. "Brother… come back." Her eyes now full of tears. Her cries sent daggers into my heart, and we both sat in front of the bed crying. After an hour of mourning, Chirp had fallen asleep having exhausted herself from all her crying. She slept in my arms making small hiccups from her lengthy bout of mourning. I placed her on the softest bedding I could find for her before I quietly moved away from her and lifted her dead brother. With my magic surrounding his body I walked almost ceremoniously out of the room. I met Twilight sitting on her couch, waiting for me.

"Where are you going?" She asked her voice echoing with the remorse that no doubt racked her.

"I am going to bury my child." I said as I walked past her, moving the lifeless changeling to my back. "Please watch Chirp while I am gone." I gazed out the window to see that night had fallen over Ponyville, enabling me to hopefully be able to sneak into the forest unseen. I walked out of the library and stealthily ran into the forest. Tearfully I searched for an area to bury my child, somewhere appropriate. I eventually found myself in an open area deep within the forest were a small flower bed took up precedence upon the ground. I gently placed his body on the ground beside me and began to dig through the dirt with my magic. I placed him into the hole and mournfully started to bury him.

Present

I stared at the grave with more fresh tears forming in my eyes.

"I will not stand for this." I stomped my hoof onto the ground and turned my gaze in the direction to Canterlot. As I chanted the magical words of my spell, the ground around me started to glow. I closed my eyes and felt a surge of energy consume my body as I was pulled into a portal. I opened my eyes to find myself in an empty throne room.

"Good; it worked." I hissed. I was inside Celestia’s castle, and had the advantage of being completely undetected. I’d had just enough energy to manage to teleport here. I know I don't have enough power to disguise, but that did not matter to me as the only thing I felt was pure anger. I stormed through the halls of the castle, and I found a single guarding the hallway. He was about to alarm the castle, but I stopped him before he could. My eyes shot daggers at him, daring him to resist me. "Celestia; where… is...she?!" I hissed hatefully. His legs were shaking and his eyes grew wide while he kept on stuttering his words, his vocabulary stumbling on his tongue. I had no time for this, and I placed my horn on his head and used my magic to read his mind. "Thank you." I growled, walking past him and onto Celestia's royal quarters. As I stood in front of her door my breathing became vigorous and my anger grew. I slammed her doors open in fury. "CELESTIA!" I snarled. I looked around to find her, but she was nowhere to be found. Where could she have gone?

"What art thou doing her?" A voice snapped incredulously, prompting me to look around behind me. "Well?! Would thou like to answer us?" It snarled. It was no other then the Princess of the Night herself; Princess Luna. "Wait..! Thou art a changeling!" She got into a battle stance. "What is thine business, beast?" My mind was still filled with anger; even this Diarch would face my wrath should I have to unleash it.

"Where is your sister?!" I hissed.

"That is not of your concern, beast." She hissed. Her magic had formed twin blue short blades. I took a step back, realizing that I was unarmed and I quickly formed a green rapier as I shifted into a readied stance myself. "Well then; have at thee!" The Princess of the Night took charge at me, as did I at her.

"ENOUGH OF THIS FOOLISHNESS!" A loud voice boomed through the hall. We both stopped in our tracks to find Celestia standing at the door with a plate of cake levitated in her magical grip. Her face glared somewhat fiercely at us.
"You!" I hissed, turning and stampeding towards her, preparing to run my rapier into her. Her horn began to glow and a bright flash of light engulfed the room. Some moments later, I woke up in the same room I was in, however I lay on a bed. Near the bed were a table and a cup of tea. Next to the cup was a rather large slice of cake, and my gaze drifted up to see Celestia sitting on the other side of the small table. I hastily wrestled from the sheets, preparing to yell and literally pounce on her.

"Please wait." She said raising a hoof to me calmly.

"And why should I do that?"

"I would like to talk with you." She said calmly.

"Talk about what, huh?" I yelled skeptically. "What is there to talk about? After all this, what is there to talk about?! Well?!"
She gazed into my furious eyes, and I was taken aback to find that there was no anger or hate in hers, only sorrow.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled. I looked at her confused.

"Sorry for what?"

"I'm sorry for the things you have been through."

I looked at her baffled. "How do you mean ‘what I've been through’? How would you know anything about…?"

"Knowledge gained courtesy of us." A second voice mumbled. Luna strolled over next to her taller sister. "I saw into your mind while you were unconscious."I looked away from them both not wanting them to see my expression. "Who gave you the authority to look into my mind?" I said angrily.

"Thou art the one who try to attack us and our sister!"

"Luna!" Celestia snapped sternly. "You're talking in old Equestrian again." She returned her gaze to me. "We only looked because we weren't sure why you would come here alone."

"Well now you know." I retorted flatly.

"Yes, and as I said before I am sorry what you have gone through…" She mumbled, looking at me with sad eyes. "I can only imagine the pain you've gone through as a mother." I started to feel my anger rise again. "It's you and your stupid ponies’ fault!" I yelled in outrage. "You and your niece blasted my children and me, probably killing most of them in the process; but no, that wasn't enough for you!" I stomped my hoof onto the ground and ground it against the floor angrily. "Now you’re imprisoning whatever survivors are left and locking them up!" Her gaze slid to the ground as I threw my words into her face. "Why don't you just kill me as well?" I screamed out these last words, tears now forming in my eyes. "I just lost a child and buried him." I turned my face away from them again as tears snaked across my cheeks and off my chin. "Do you know what it feels like to bury your own child..? DO YOU?!" Both princesses were speechless, staring at me as I continued on regardless. "Of course you don't; none of you do!" I finished with a snarl which petered off into a heavy, racking sob. As I cried across from the princesses, my hearing began to pick up on a faint chirping sound. I looked to my side astonished to find Chirp staring up at me with her own set of tears. "Little one… what are you doing here?" My eyes moved up through the room to find Twilight standing next to Celestia worriedly. “W-what are you doing here..?"