• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 21,582 Views, 1,447 Comments

A New Home - APoeticHeart



A young human child abused by his father wishes to live in a new home, and wishes for someone to love him.

  • ...
65
 1,447
 21,582

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Four: A Broken Heart (Re-Written)

As morning arrived in Equestria, Princess Celestia stood out on the balcony of Canterlot Castle, and watched as the sun ascended in the horizon, just beyond the Crystal Mountains. She took in a deep breath of fresh morning air as a smile crept across her muzzle Mm… what a beautiful morning it is today. As she took in the breathtaking sight, a knock sounded at the door of her bed chambers and she turned to trot back inside.


“Come in.” She used her magic to open the chambers’ doors when Princess Luna calmly trotted in. With a warm smile on her muzzle Celestia greeted her sister “Good morning Lulu, how are you my dear sister?” She sat down on her haunches in the center of her bed chambers and motioned for Luna to sit by her.



Luna nodded and trotted over as she sat down across from her older sister “I am doing good Tia.” She let out a heavy sigh “However, we do need to discuss something with you, if you aren’t too preoccupied.” She looked down at the floor and scuffed her slipper covered hoof against it lightly.



Celestia looked at her sister with a bit of worry in her eyes “Of course you can talk with me dear sister, but please tell me, what is the matter?” She reached across to place a hoof comfortingly on Luna’s shoulder.



As another sigh escaped her lips, Luna lifted to look into the eyes of her sister “Well Tia, two nights ago I…” She was soon cut off as a scroll suddenly appeared between the two. She let out a sigh of relief and gave a curious look “Hmm… that appears to be a letter from Twilight Sparkle Tia, but why do you think she would send one this early in the morning?”



Celestia shook her head softly “I couldn’t guess dear sister. However, this must have been written last night, and I am just receiving it now.” She tilted her head in curiosity “Let us find out what it says, shall we?” She gave a warm smile and unraveled the scroll.



Dear Princess Celestia,


This morning, my friend and the Element of Kindness, Fluttershy discovered an unusual creature on her doorstep, sleeping in a basket. His name is Toby, and I’ve come to read that he is part of a species called Homo-Sapiens or humans. He is only a young human, probably the age of a colt, if not younger, and he is very sweet and polite.


However, what I’ve read about his species has me deeply concerned for myself, my friends, and the entire land of Equestria. I read that these humans rely on the source of fruits and vegetables for food, but the worst part is that they also eat meat, fish, chicken, and pork. I don’t believe Toby is like other humans, but he is still just so young.



If it’s alright with you princess, I thought myself and the other Elements of Harmony could bring this young one to meet you and Princess Luna. The others are going to be staying the night here at the library and we will wait for your reply.



Sincerely your fellow princess,


Princess Twilight Sparkle



After she read the letter, Celestia rolled it back up, and levitated it over to her shelf where she kept her letters. Luna who watched on curiously spoke up “Is something wrong Tia? What did the letter say?” A look of concern formed on her face.



A light chuckle escaped Celestia’s lips “Oh dear Lulu, there is nothing wrong whatsoever. It appears that our fellow princess, Twilight Sparkle and her friends have discovered a new, foreign species to our land.” She cleared her throat “Guards!” She used her magic to open her chamber doors as two guard ponies entered.



“Yes your highness?” The two said simultaneously as they bowed their heads.



She gave a small bow of her head as well “Guards, go prepare a chariot and go down to Ponyville. I would like for you to bring Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends to the castle.” She gave one last bow of her head.



“Yes your highness!” The two guard ponies bowed their heads in return and turned to trot of Celestia’s bed chambers.



As Celestia turned she smiled warmly at her sister “As for us dear Lulu, we better prepare to welcome our fellow princess, her friends, and their special guest.” She chuckled as she trotted up beside Luna and nuzzled her cheek “Now what was it that you would like to discuss with me dear sister?” That warm smile still on her muzzle.



Luna blushed at the nuzzle from her older sister “Oh… nothing Tia.I am looking forward to meeting our friends again and this new arrival that Princess Twilight Sparkle speaks of in her letter.” She returned the smile.



“As am I Lulu.” She turned to trot out of her bed chambers “Come, let us go get ready for their arrival.” With a nod of agreement, Luna followed beside her older sister.


Ponyville - Golden Oaks Library


As sunlight trickled through the windows of the library, Twilight started to stir in her sleep. She blinked her eyes open as she let out a soft yawn Mm.. what a night. I slept like a newborn foal tucked in snug and comfortable in her crib. She looked outside her window to see the sun shining brightly in the clear, blue sky and a warm smile crept across her muzzle I’ll go see if the others are up yet so we can have some breakfast. She carefully climbed out of her bed and turned to see that Spike wasn’t sleeping in his basket as a soft giggle escaped her lips Well it looks like someone is already downstairs preparing breakfast for us all. She carefully trotted downstairs to see if her friends were awake.



Each of the girls were starting to wake from their slumber, but their new little friend, Toby remained asleep and curled up under the warm, soft wing of Fluttershy. When Twilight arrived downstairs she smiled warmly at her friends “Good morning everypony.” She watched as they slowly stood up, except for Fluttershy who kept the small boy tucked under her wing close to her side.



“Well for one, I slept marvelous darling.” Rarity let out a light chuckle and took a deep breath “Oh my, what is that wonderful aroma?”



Spike soon entered into the den of the library “Well m’lady, I prepared all of you a big breakfast. I also made the little guy something special which I am keeping warm.” The baby dragon gave a smile of confidence, but soon felt a rumbling in his stomach “BURP!” A small burst of green flame escaped his lips and a scroll suddenly appeared.



“Oh, Princess Celestia must’ve sent a reply!” Twilight beamed as she used her magic to levitate the scroll in front of her and unrolled it.



Dear Twilight Sparkle,


After reading over your letter, I’ve decided that it would be an honor to welcome not only you, and your fellow elements, but also the new arrival that you speak of. I will send a couple of my loyal guards down to Ponyville to accompany you and your friends to Canterlot. Luna and I will be waiting for your arrival.


Your fellow princess & friend,


Princess Celestia



“Alright girls, let us eat the wonderful breakfast that Spike prepared for us, wait for Toby to wake up so he enjoy his breakfast, and then we’ll get ready. A chariot with a couple of Princess Celestia’s guards should be here soon.” Twilight smiled warmly and thought "How about we eat outside on the balcony today? I think it’s a beautiful day to do so.”



“That sounds like a mighty fine idea sugarcube.” Applejack chuckled as she stood up along with the others. She then looked to see Fluttershy still laid down “Fluttershy, ya better wake the little feller up so he can eat with us.” She gave a warm smile.



Fluttershy turned to look down at the sleeping child “Um… I know Applejack… um.... but he looks so peaceful sleeping.” She carefully lifted her wing and leaned her head down to nuzzle at the top of his head “Um… Toby sweetheart, it’s time to wake up.” She lightly stroked at his side with her wing.



“We’ll go on ahead outside while you try to wake him up, okay Fluttershy?” Twilight looked at her friend and Fluttershy gave a simple nod and warm smile.



As he laid sleeping quietly under the pegasus’ wing, Toby was having a dream. “Hello, is anyone here?” He called out as he was surrounded by darkness and he started to tremble “Hello?” He called out again, this time with a whimper. Suddenly a small ball of light appeared in front of him “Hello? Is someone there?” He hesitantly took a step forward.



“Shh… calm yourself sweetheart, it’s me.” The sound emanating from the light was soft, tender, and it shrouded the child with a warm, comforting aura. However, as he listened to the sound, he gasped as he recognized the voice.



“Mommy?! Is that you?” A look of elation adorned his face as he looked ahead, but all there was, was the beacon of light.



“Yes my little angel, it’s me.” The light suddenly got closer and started to take on a physical form as it approached Toby. Within seconds, the light took on the form of a woman who knelt down in front of the boy and reached up to stroke at his hair “Oh Toby, my sweet baby boy, I miss you so much.” She gave him a warm smile and lowered her hand to tenderly caress his cheek.



Tears started to prick at his eyes as he looked into the beautiful, blue eyes of his mother “I miss you too Mommy!” He cried as he reached up to touch at her hand, but all he felt was air and soon the figure began to drift away “Mommy, what’s happening?” His lips quivered as he watched her slowly disappear.



“Shh.., please sweetheart, don’t be sad.” The woman felt tears form in her own eyes as she slowly stood up. She placed a warm, angelic hand on his back and pulled him to her abdomen in a hug “Mommy loves you Toby, and I’ll always be here with you.” She looked down at him with a maternal smile “I have to go now my angel, but I will always return when you need me.” She lifted her hand off his back as the rest of her drifted away like sand in the wind.



“Mommy, no wait! Mommy!” He cried out as his eyes shut open only to see the face of Fluttershy looking down at him with a warm smile, but that soon faded once she noticed him trembling under her wing, and saw tears rolling down his cheeks.



“Toby dear, what’s wrong?” Fluttershy stroked at his small form to try and calm him down “Um.. did you have a bad dream?” She leaned her head down and nuzzled his cheek, gently licking away the tears.



He sniffled “No, it wasn’t a bad dream, but it was bad at the end.” He started to calm his trembling as he felt her lick at his tears “I saw my mommy in my dream, but she disappeared.” He sniffled and snuggled closer to Fluttershy’s side.



The poor dear, I hope we can find out what’s bothering him when we go see the princesses. For right now, I’ll do my best to comfort him. She continued to tenderly caress at his side with a wing “Toby… um… are you hungry sweetheart? Spike made you a warm breakfast and we can eat outside on the balcony with the others.” She nuzzled at his cheek.



He calmed himself and looked up into her caring eyes “That sounds nice Fluttershy. I am a little hungry.” He let out a small yawn “What did Spike fix me for breakfast?” He looked at the pegasus curiously.



A light giggle escaped her lips as she lifted her wing and nuzzled at his cheek again “Well, that is a surprise. Let’s get up and go out to the balcony and see.” She carefully stood up as Toby done the same and stretched out his arms and legs. As she was about to trot ahead, she felt a gentle tug on her wing and looked down at the child “Is something wrong Toby?”



He bit his lip as he looked up at her “Fluttershy, I need to go use the bathroom.” He turned his head away shyly.



“Oh my… um… okay sweetheart. Just follow me.” She placed a wing over his back and carefully trotted with him up the staircase. Once they got to the bathroom door Fluttershy looked down at Toby tenderly “I’ll be right outside the door when you are done Toby, and we will go join the others for breakfast.”



He looked up at her and nodded “Okay Fluttershy.” He turned and entered the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.



Outside on the balcony, Twilight and the others were enjoying their breakfast while enjoying the beautiful morning. Rarity took in a deep breath of fresh air “Mm.. such a marvelous day it is to eat outside if I may say so myself. “ She let out a small laugh as she sipped at her mint tea that Spike brewed for her “I hope Princess Celestia and Princess Luna will like meeting our darling new little friend.” Her brows furrowed with a bit of worry.



“Ah’m sure they will sugarcube.” Applejack smirked proudly while she munched on her tomato and lettuce sandwich Spike made her “Besides he is a mighty fine little gentleman if Ah may say so. He is very respectful to others and that will go far with him meeting the princesses.” She tipped her hat as she chewed at her sandwich.



“I agree Applejack.” Twilight smiled warmly as she ate her fresh fruit salad “I do believe the princesses will like Toby, but then there is that worry of mine with him being a human, that they might… well, let’s not discuss that right now.” She waved her hoof with a heavy sigh.



Soon Fluttershy and Toby walked out onto the balcony with Toby walking beside the pegasus. He waved at the others “Good morning everyone.” He gave a soft smile as he tried to shake off the events from earlier.



“Good morning darling, did you sleep well last night?” Rarity gave him a warm smile as she had a pillow beside her “Come dear, I saved you a seat beside me and a seat for you Fluttershy to sit with him on the other side.” She patted the pillow with a hoof.



“Thank you Rarity and yes Ma’am, I slept good last night.” Toby returned the smile and carefully walked over to the white unicorn, and sat down beside her. As he saw the girls eating, he felt a small rumble in his own little tummy and a light blush formed on his cheeks “Oh, I’m sorry.” He then felt something soft on his back and looked up to see Fluttershy.



“No need to be sorry sweetheart, you are hungry and need something to eat.” The pegasus sat down beside him and nuzzled at his belly, causing the child to giggle.



“I think I might have a solution to that Fluttershy.” The group turned to see Spike coming out with a tray with three plates on it “This is for you Fluttershy, a fresh, crisp salad with lettuce, diced tomato, pecans, and cranberries.” He placed Fluttershy’s plate in front of her and turned to Toby “And for you little guy, I done some reading of what humans like to eat. I made two pancakes with some fresh syrup. I sliced an apple for you too so you can have your daily fruit and a glass of apple juice.” He placed Toby’s plate in front of him.



“What did you fix for yourself Spike?” Twilight gave a curious yet warm smile toward her assistant and friend.



“I got myself a bowl of mixed crystals and gems.” He chuckled and sat down beside Twilight.



She let out a chuckle of her own and ruffled the frills on top of his head. She then turned her attention to Toby “Toby, after we get done eating breakfast, we are going to go meet with the royal sisters of our home, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. How does that sound?” She gave a warm smile hoping that he won’t be timid about meeting a couple more princesses.



He swallowed a bite of food “I would like that Twilight.” He returned the smile and reached for his glass of apple juice to take a drink.



After a few minutes passed and they all finished their meals, the royal guards tasked in bringing them to Canterlot Castle arrived in front of the library. Twilight noticed them stop in front of the door “Alright girls, they’re here. Let’s get ready to leave.” She turned toward Spike “Would you like to come with us Spike?” She gave him a warm smile.



“Nah, I’ll be fine here Twilight. I will make sure it is spick and span when you get back.” He gave a wink, saluted the others and turned to go back into the library.



Fluttershy looked down at Toby as she stood up “Are you ready to go meet the princesses Toby?” She smiled warmly at him as he gave a simple nod. She placed a wing over his shoulders and walked along side him as they went downstairs.



As they trotted out of the library, the guards bowed their heads to Twilight “Princess Twilight Sparkle, we have been assigned to bring you and your fellow bearers of the Elements of Harmony to Canterlot Castle and meet with the royal sisters.” One guard spoke with a salute of his hoof.



“Please step carefully into the chariot and we shall be on our way.” The other guard saluted as well.



Twilight gave a bow of her own “Thank you sirs.” She trotted forward and stepped up onto the chariot, and took a seat at the front.



“Yippee! We’re going for a ride!” Pinkie giggled and hopped happily up into the chariot beside Twilight. She grabbed the reins which the guards used to pull the chariot “Mush!” She playfully lifted the reins and struck the flanks of the guards, earning a grunt from both.



“Meh… I’ll just fly alongside you two slowpokes. How about you two learn what real flying is about?” A sly smirk crept across the cyan pegasus’ muzzle as she shot up in the air.



Applejack rolled her eyes as she trotted up onto the chariot next and she turned to Rarity “Want to sit by me sugarcube?” She patted the seat beside her.



With a fluff of her mane, Rarity trotted up to the seat next to the country mare “Don’t mind if I do darling. Thank you kindly Applejack.” She turned to see Fluttershy and Toby exiting the library last “Dear, we saved the last two seats for you and Fluttershy.” She gave him a warm smile.



“Okay Rarity.” He stepped up onto the chariot and scooted toward the side. He looked around at the red satin interior and golden armored exterior “I never rode anything like this before.”



A soft, warm wing laid over his shoulders as Fluttershy sat down beside him and she looked down at him “Don’t worry sweetheart, the guards will go easy.” She kissed the top of his head He is such a precious child that I feel as if he could be my own. A warm smile crept across her muzzle as she couldn’t take her gaze off Toby.



Soon the guards trotted forward to gain a bit of speed, and then they flapped their wings to ascend in the air. They turned in midair to face the direction of Canterlot Castle and made their way to the high-class town.


Canterlot Castle


Soon the group arrived in front of the castle as the guard ponies slowly descended from the sky and came to a soft landing on the ground. One of them turned toward the group “Step carefully off the carriage and enter the castle. The royal sisters are awaiting your arrival in the throne room.” He gave a salute to them.



One by one, they exited the carriage and as soon as Toby stepped down, he looked up in awe at the large castle that stood before him. He looked up at Fluttershy standing beside him “Wow! This place is so big Fluttershy.” He gently wrapped an arm around her foreleg.



Her heart melted at the gesture as she laid a wing over his shoulders “Yes it is sweetheart, but don’t be scared, the princesses are very nice and will make sure you are safe here.” She kissed the top of his head “Are you ready to go meet them?” He looked up and responded with a simple nod and the group entered the castle.



As they traveled through the castle toward the throne room, Toby just looked in wonder at the beautiful décor of the palace. A smile crept across his face Mommy would love this place and the many pretty windows. He then saw that they were approaching a set of large doors where two guard ponies were standing on each side.



They opened the throne room doors “You may enter.” They said in unison and inside stood the two royal sisters at their respective throne.



A warm smile crept across each their muzzles “Welcome my little ponies!” Celestia spoke and bowed her head “It is great to see you all again. I hope the trip here was safe for you all.” She looked at the girls, but she couldn’t see the little human that Twilight spoke of in her letter.



“I too hope you all had a safe trip.” Princess Luna gave a bow of her head as well to the group “And as Tia said, it is a pleasure to see you all again.” She gave a light chuckle.


Twilight returned a bow of her own along with the others and smiled “Yes Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, the trip here was safe and relaxing may I say.” She let out a light chuckle as well.



“It was fun, fun, fun!” Pinkie exclaimed as she started to randomly do cartwheels around the group, earning a laugh from her friends and the princesses. She stopped and started to hop in place “I was like Santa Hooves as I got the guards to lead the carriage like his rein ponies.” She beamed from ear to ear.



Celestia giggled at the pink party pony’s giddiness, but looked curiously at the group, still searching for the little boy. She cleared her throat “So, where is our special guest at that you mentioned in your letter?” She gave a warm smile.



“Oh, he is right here Princess.” Twilight turned to point a hoof toward Toby, but didn’t see him. She arched her brows “Uh, where’s Toby Fluttershy?”



Fluttershy turned her head to looked down at her foreleg and lowered to the child “Toby dear, it’s okay, there isn’t anything to be afraid of.” She gave a reassuring and warm smile as she nuzzled his cheek.



With a gentle nod, Toby slowly stepped out from behind Fluttershy’s foreleg and took a step forward. He lifted his gaze from the tiled floor up to the two sisters and a nervous swallow traveled down his throat. He slowly knelt down on one knee and bowed his head “Hello your highnesses.”



Luna and Celestia looked at each other with expressions mixed with surprise yet they smiled at the young child. They slowly trotted forward, stopping a few feet away from him “It’s okay little one, there is no need to bow.” Celestia reached out one of her golden slippers out to lightly touch at his shoulder “You may rise my dear.” She smiled warmly down at him.



He lifted his head to look up at the sisters as he carefully stood up “Yes your highness.” He gave a small smile as he folded his hands in front of him.



So not to be intimidating to the boy standing at their full height, both royal sisters carefully laid down onto the smooth tiled floor. Twilight along with the others did the same to help make Toby feel more comfortable around the princesses. Celestia reached her hoof to him again and held his hands in it “Welcome to Equestria little one, I am Princess Celestia and this is my sister, Princess Luna.” She motioned her free hoof toward her sister.


“Hello dear, it is a pleasure to meet you.” Luna gave him a warm smile.


Celestia rubbed the back of his hands gently with her free hoof “Together we rule this land of friendship and harmony. I hope your stay here has been a pleasant and peaceful one so far little one.” She looked into his eyes “If a princess may ask, could you tell me your name dear?”



Toby couldn’t help but blush as the royal mare rubbed at his hands gently with her hoof. He returned her gaze “My name is Toby, Princess Celestia. It is nice to meet you and nice to meet you too Princess Luna.” He gave a soft smile to Luna who returned it.



“Well, that is a nice name for a handsome young boy like yourself. And as Luna said, indeed it is a great pleasure to meet you as well Toby.” She then gently touched his shoulder with her horn as did Luna. As her horn touched his shoulder, Celestia could feel something was off about the boy, like some internal pain. She carefully lifted her head and looked deep into his eyes again “Toby dear, is there something that is bothering you?”



A look of nervousness spread across the boy’s face, but he shook his head “No your highness, I’m okay. I promise.” He gave a reassuring smile.


There is something truly bothering this child I believe Celestia thought to herself as she gave a softened look to Toby “It’s okay Toby, if there is anything bothering you, you can tell us. There is nothing to be afraid of, we won’t judge you.” She leaned her head down to nuzzle at his hands.



Toby looked back at Fluttershy who gave him a sincere smile and nod of her head to let him know that it was okay to tell. He then turned back to look at Celestia “Well Princess Celestia, when I was five years old, I…” Suddenly he closed his eyes and took in a shuttering breath. He turned his head to the side as he felt tears form in his eyes “I can’t. I’m sorry your highness, but I can’t.” He sniffled and started to shake.


Without hesitation, Fluttershy quickly trotted up to him, wrapped a foreleg around his shoulders, and pulled him into a warm, comforting hug against her body “Shh... don’t cry sweetheart, I’ve got you.” She rubbed at his back soothingly with her foreleg and leaned her head down to nuzzle the top of his head.


The girls along with the two sisters frowned at the pain displayed by the young child. Celestia reached out to lightly stroke his back “Oh you poor child, I’m so sorry. Please dear, try to calm yourself.” She felt his shaking starting to settle down.



As he sniffled, Toby turned his head to look at the comforting smile of Celestia “I’m sorry your highness, it’s just hard to talk about.” He hugged at Fluttershy’s foreleg and looked up at her “I’m sorry Fluttershy and everyone.” He turned to look at the others who simply shook their hooves.


“No darling, there is no need to apologize. If you don’t feel like speaking about anything right now, we aren’t going to force you.” Rarity gave him a sincere, warm smile.


“That is right little one.” Luna cleared her throat “When you do feel like talking, we will be ready to listen, do you understand?” Toby replied with a simple nod as his crying and shaking settled down.


Celestia carefully stood up along with her sister and the others as she looked down at the boy “For now, how would you like to take a small tour of the castle?” She let out a soft laugh.


Toby looked up at the alicorn and nodded “I would like that Princess Celestia. I never been inside a castle before.” He then looked up and around the massive throne room “It’s very pretty in this room.”


“Well, thank you dear, my sister and I always try our best to keep it not only clean, but welcoming to all of our guests who come and visit.” Luna gave a warm smile as she motioned around the room with a hoof “This room is mine and Tia’s throne room where we usually meet with other ponies or other inhabitants from all over Equestria.” She looked toward Celestia who gave a nod.



“Come dear, we have a lot to show you.” Celestia trotted forward to lead the way as Luna was right behind her sister, and soon the girls followed behind. They soon arrived at a long hallway with well crafted and colored stained glass windows on each side “And this place Toby is known as the Hall of Elements.” Celestia smiled warmly down at the boy.



“Elements Princess Celestia?” Toby looked up at the princess with curiosity and turned to look at the windows.


She nodded “Yes dear, the Elements of Harmony. They not only bring all inhabitants, both great and small of Equestria together in happiness, but also protect this land from those who try to bring chaos and sadness to all of us.” Her gaze focused on one window which had the elements altogether “And these six ponies that you have met are the current Elements of Harmony.” She motioned toward Twilight and the others.



With a flutter of her brows, Rarity cleared her throat “That is correct darling, we each possess an element that help ensure the safety of Equestria and brings peace to all. For instance, I like to put the needs of my fellow ponies first before mine, so therefore I am the Element of Generosity.” She gave a gentle wink and a pat on his head.



“If ya ever lie sugarcube, Ah’ll know about it.” Applejack tipped her hat and looked at the child “Ah am the Element of Honesty, and Ah am always able to tell when ya are lying. So don’t ya ever lie, do ya understand?” She gave a stern yet soft smirk, but Toby replied with a simple nod. She chuckled “Don’t worry little fella, Ah won’t ever harm ya for telling a lie, but just maybe give ya a lecture.” She ruffled his hair a bit.



As quick as lightning, Rainbow Dash shot up in the air and spread out her wings “If you ever get in a bind or just need someone to talk to little dude, I’ll always be there.” She smirked and lowered herself back down “I’m the Element of Loyalty, and I’ll never desert my friends, especially in a time of need.” She gave a smirk of her own and ruffled Toby’s hair as well.



Suddenly Pinkie Pie started to randomly cut cartwheels again earning a laugh from her friends and Toby. She stopped in front of him “Laughing is the sound I like to hear little wittle Toby!” She ruffled his hair before lifting him up in the air “I’m the Element of Laughter and it is always my duty to make sure all the ponies in Equestria always have a smile on their face!” She placed him back on the floor and patted his head before hopping around.



Fluttershy let out a slight squeak giggle and turned to the boy “I’m the Element of Kindness Toby and I make sure to give the greatest care I can to all creatures of Equestria both big.” She then placed a wing over his shoulders and nuzzled his nose “And small.” She gave him a warm smile.



Twilight lit her horn up as she gently surrounded Toby with her warm, comforting purple aura. Carefully, she levitated him in the air “Don’t be scared Toby, it’s harmless, safe magic. I won’t let anything hurt you dear, because I am the Element of Magic.” She gave him a warm smile and levitated him over on her back “However, I always do my best to use good magic, but at times I have to face those who possess dark magic. Yet I know though with my fellow elements and friends I can defeat the forces of dark magic.” She looked back at him.



“And that my dear are the Elements of Harmony.” Princess Celestia smiled warmly at the child on Twilight’s back “Now let us go…”



“Hold up! What about the Element of Chaos?!” A voice echoed through the great hall as a look mixed with confusion yet shock washed over all the ponies’ faces.



“DISCORD?!” Everypony said in unison as they looked around for the owner of the voice.


Suddenly out of nowhere, the draconequus appeared before the group. He floated in midair, drinking out of a tall glass of chocolate milk, and laying back against a beach chair. He sported a pair of sunglasses, a sombrero atop of his head, an aloha shirt on his upper torso, and on his lower torso, he wore a pair of beige shorts.



“That’s my name!” A chuckle escaped his lips as he looked at the group “I was just spending a well rested vacation in Las Pegasus and I won pretty big!” With a snap of his talons, a pile of gold coins appeared in mid-air and fell to the tiled floor.



“Well, it is a pleasure to see you again old friend.” A slight chuckle escaped Celestia’s lips as she gave him a warm smile “I would like to meet a special guest of ours.” She looked toward Twilight who gave a warm smile and trotted forward with Toby on her back. Celestia placed a wing over the boy’s shoulders and looked at Discord “Discord, this fine young boy is Toby.” She then turned to Toby “Toby, this fine, yet what is the word, oh right, mischievous creature is Discord, also known as the Master of Chaos.” She motioned toward the draconequus with a hoof.



“That was a decent introduction Celly.” Discord chuckled and reached out his lion paw “It’s great to meet you little fella.” He gave Toby a wink.



Toby reached out to shake the lion paw “It is nice to meet you too Mr… Aah!” Suddenly the paw fell off as Toby shook it.



The girls gasped, but Discord simply chuckled “Haha… easy there little guy, it was only a prank.” With a snap of his talons, the lion paw vanished from the floor, and reappeared on his arm “See, all fine and dandy.”


Twilight shook her head “Now Discord, Toby is new here, and he isn’t familiar with jokes or pranks like that.” She sighed and looked back at Toby “Are you okay sweetheart?”



“Yes Twilight, I am.” He then let out a slight yawn.



“Oh, it seems like a little one is getting sleepy.” Fluttershy smiled warmly and trotted up beside Twilight “If you want to Toby, you can curl up on my back and I’ll cover you up with my mane.” She nuzzled at his cheek.



With a simple nod, he let out another yawn before crawling over onto Fluttershy’s back “Thank you Fluttershy.” He gave a soft smile as he laid down and curled up into a ball. He slowly closed his eyes and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.



Twilight lifted a hoof to brush Fluttershy’s mane and lay some of it over the child’s form “Sleep tight sweetheart.” She whispered and leaned to give a kiss atop of his head. After making sure he was sleeping peacefully, she looked at Celestia “Princess Celestia, what do you think is bothering him?” She returned her gaze at Toby with a look of concern on her face along with the others.



A heavy sigh escaped Celestia’s lips as she frowned at the sleeping child “To be quite honest Twilight, I don’t know.” She then looked at the girls “However, I can sense that whatever is bothering him, it is very traumatic, even for one as young as him to go through.” She trotted near Fluttershy and reached a hoof up to very lightly stroke at Toby’s sleeping form.



“The poor dear, I wish there was something we could do to cheer him up.” Rarity sighed heavily as she looked on sadly at the sleeping boy.



Without warning, beamed from ear to ear and shot straight up in the air “I GOT IT!” She said excitedly as her mane poofed out wildly.


“PINKIE!” The group gasped as they placed their hooves up to their lips.



“Oops, sowwy!” Pinkie giggled and blushed “I was thinking that we could throw the little wittle cutie wutie a fun-filled, cake-filled, cookie-filled, game-filled, music filled…”



“Are ya trying to say we should throw the little fella a party, sugarcube?” Applejack raised an eyebrow.



Pinkie nodded enthusiastically “Yeppy, yep, yep, but how did you know?” She looked at the country mare quizzically.



“Just a lucky guess.” Applejack chuckled and tipped her hat “That is a mighty fine idea indeed to throw him a party.” She smiled warmly as she looked Toby.



“Oh, that is an awesome idea!” A smirk crept across Rainbow’s muzzle as she hovered in the air “I can show the little guy my awe inspiring, eye popping, and breathtaking Sonic Rainboom!” She chuckled proudly “And I could also perform other tricks for him to enjoy.”



“Oh my, this is starting to sound like it will be such a wonderful event!” Rarity smiled brightly “I believe I will like to participate in preparing for this party by making the darling a new outfit.” She looked at the sleeping child and then at Fluttershy “Would you be okay with that dear?”



“Um.. of course Rarity. I think Toby would like that.” Fluttershy turned her head to look at him sleeping soundly on her back, covered by the warmness and softness of her mane. She turned to look at the others “Maybe I could try to get my birds to sing a song for Toby.” She smiled as a pink blush formed on her cheeks.



“Oh this is indeed a great planned party so far!” Twilight clapped her hooves together “Spike and I could send out invitations to the ponies of Ponyville and Canterlot.” She beamed and fluttered her wings.



“Well, my little ponies, I see that we have a party to prepare for. This is such a good idea Pinkie, that I believe this will make our young friend feel more welcomed here, and show him that we do care.” She looked at Toby with a semi smile “However my friends, I believe we should always show this child the best care we can provide, because at his age, he can learn the gift of friendship and grow to remain as our friend.” She sighed softly.



“Sister, is something wrong?” Luna looked at her sister with worry in her eyes.



Celestia calmly shook her head “No Lulu, but what I read of humans, some humans, it is horrific what they are capable of doing to creatures on their planet.” She frowned as she looked back at the sleeping boy “I just hope that this young one won’t grow to be like those humans, so it is very important for us to show him the gift of not only friendship, but the love he needs.” She leaned her head to nuzzle at his cheek.



“I agree Tia, this young one deserves a home and family.” Luna looked at Toby.


“Oh dear, if I knew that the little guy was sad, I wouldn’t have pulled that mean prank on him.” Discord frowned, but suddenly snapped his talons “You know what, I believe I will throw my name in the hat.” With another snap he made a top hat appear along with a slip of paper with his name written on it above it, and placed it inside “And I will do something special for this gathering.” He gave a pouty face toward Celestia “That is if I am invited.” He let out a small whimper.



Celestia chuckled and let out a sigh “Yes Discord, you can some.” She shook her head slightly as she looked at the girls again “Well, my little ponies, it looks like we have a lot to prepare for. I will get the guards to escort you back to Ponyville.” She smiled at all of them and bowed her head.



Luna done the same as she gave them all a smile as well “It was a pleasure meeting you again my friends and also the little one.” She looked at the sleeping child I will have to tell them that I found them soon. I believe I will let them all know when the party takes place.


“Thank you Princess Celestia and Princess Luna for allowing us to bring this young one with us to meet you.” Twilight bowed her head and smiled at Toby “We all will do our parts to ensure that Toby feels love and welcomed here in Equestria.”


The girls nodded in unison as they all bowed their heads to bid farewell and turned to trot out of the royal sisters’ throne room.



“Oh Tia, I can’t wait to have this celebration to welcome the young one to Equestria.” Luna smiled up at her sister “I just hope he won’t be too overwhelmed with all the guests that will be here and meeting new ponies.” She gave a reluctant smile.



“Worry not my sister, I believe we will have a successful and great time for our young guest.” She placed a hoof on Luna’s shoulder “Now let’s go discuss with the chefs to what they could prepare for the party.” Luna nodded in agreement as the two trotted out of the throne room toward the kitchen.



Outside, the girls were getting into the carriage one by one “Um.. Rarity… um.. Could you maybe levitate Toby in your magic until I can get seated in the carriage?” She turned head to smile warmly at Toby still sleeping peacefully on her back.



“Of course darling.” Rarity nodded as she surrounded the boy with a warm, light blue aura of magic and carefully levitated “He is simply adorable when he’s sleeping.” She gave a warm smile as she looked at him.


After Fluttershy got into the carriage, she sat down on her flank as Rarity carefully levitated Toby over to her. She reached with her forelegs to take Toby into them and held him in the crook of her left foreleg. She cradled him close to her chest and leaned down to kiss his forehead Such a precious little one you are Toby. Don’t you worry sweetheart, I promise my friends and I will make sure you are always loved and cared for as long as you live here in Equestria. A maternal smile crept across her muzzle as Rarity sat down beside her, and the guard ponies started to trot forward and head toward Ponyville.



Ponyville



After they returned to Ponyville, the girls bid each a goodnight and went to their respective homes.


Twilight entered the library “Spike! I’m home.” She called out as she heard the pitter patter of the baby dragon’s feet coming down the stairs. She smiled warmly as he reached the bottom “How did it go today at the library?” She then saw Owlowiscious fly down from up in her bedroom and settle down on his perch “Hello there to you too Owlowiscious.”



“Hoo!” Owlowiscious hooted and raised a talon to scratch behind his ear.



“Everything went fine Twilight.’ Spike crossed his arms proudly “I cleaned the library from bottom to top, re-shelved the books, but this time I placed them in alphabetical order. I also went out to get some extra quills and ink for your friendship letters.” He gave a confident smile.


Twilight chuckled and wrapped a foreleg around her assistant, pulling him into a hug “That is why you are my number one assistant Spike.” She nuzzled his cheek.



After they broke the hug, he looked up at Twilight “How did things go in Canterlot? Did Princess Luna and Princess Celestia like Toby?” A hopeful smile crept across his face.



“Yes they did!” She beamed “And while we were there, we decided that we could throw a party for Toby to welcome him to Equestria.” She clapped her hooves together and fluttered her wings with excitement.



“Oh, that sounds like a great idea Twilight!” Spike beamed “Is there anything I can do to pitch in to help with?” He clapped his claws together.


Twilight reached up to ruffle his head frills “Of course you can silly. I thought we could each send out invitations to the ponies of Ponyville to come to the party.” She smiled brightly.



“Oh, that sounds like an awesome idea Twilight!” He clapped his claws again “I will get started right away!” He turned to run upstairs, but was caught in the purple aura of Twilight’s magic “Hey Twi, what are you doing?” He looked at her with confusion etched on his face.


“Well Spike, I was thinking we could maybe get some hot chocolate to drink while write them. How does that sound?” She levitated him over and placed him onto her back. She turned to Owlowiscious “Would you like to help as well Owlowiscious?”


“Hoo!” The owl flapped his wings and he hovered over to the duo.



“Hot chocolate sounds delicious Twilight.’ Spike chuckled as he held gently onto her mane as the trio headed toward the kitchen.


Sweet Apple Acres



“Apples, Ah’m home!” Applejack trotted into her house as she looked around for the rest of her family. Soon she heard the barking of her pet dog, Winona as the canine came running into the living room, and jumped happily “Well howdy there Winona! How have ya been today?” Applejack ruffled the dog’s head fur.


“Sis!” Appleboom beamed as she saw her older sister and galloped up to her, reaching up to hug at her neck “Did ya bring me anything from Canterlot?”



“Sorry Applebloom, but nah Ah didn’t.” She returned the hug and patted Applebloom on the back as she looked around “Where are Big Mac and Granny Smith at sugarcube?” She looked at her sister curiously as they broke they hug.



She motioned toward the kitchen with a foreleg “Big Mac is cleaning up the dishes while Granny is eating a slice of pie before she goes to bed.” She chuckled “We saved you a salad and piece of pie as well sis.” She kept that beaming smile on her muzzle.



“Yup!” Suddenly Big Mac entered the living room with a nod of his head “Ah’ve just got done washing the dishes and now Ah’m going to bed.” He nodded his head one more time and trotted toward the stairs.


“Well, ya have a good night big brother, but tomorrow, we have a lot of work to do.” She let out a yawn “Granny, are ya coming to bed?” She called out to the elder.



“Nyah… hold your horse shoes youngin” Granny Smith into the living room “Now what ya talking about Applejack that we have a lot of work to do? Don’t we always?” She raised a brow questioningly.

“Yah, ya are right Granny, but tomorrow is something special.” She chuckled and waved for the rest of her family up the stairs “Ah will tell ya’ll in the morning, but right now let us get some shut eye.” She smiled as she followed behind the group up the stairs to their respective bedrooms.


Carousel Boutique


“Ahh.. what a day today was.” She let out a heavy sigh as she looked around “Oh Opalescence, my precious darling, Mommy’s home!” She called out to her cat as the feline lazily padded out of the kitchen chewing up some cat food.


Rarity smiled and trotted over to her, and petted her from the top of her head to her tail “Oh Opal dear, I have the greatest news! The girls, myself, and the princesses are going to throw a wonderful celebration for our new friend we’ve met today.” She clapped her hooves happily while Opalescence simply purred at the petting and rolled her eyes.


Rarity shook her head as she watched the cat react unenthusiastically at the news “Oh Opal, why aren’t you excited about such an occasion?!” She gave a frown, but Opalescence let out a big yawn and padded over to a red satin pillow in the middle of the living room. Rarity trotted over to her and leaned her head down to give the cat a kiss on the cheek “Goodnight my sweet Opal. Mommy’s got some work to do upstairs.” She stroked along her side one more time before turning to head upstairs.


As she reached the top of the stairs, she trotted into her washroom to see Toby’s old clothes still on the floor Oh dear, I forgot to get these and take them down to the laundry room to get washed. No matter, I will get them nice and cleaned for the little one to wear again. She levitated the pile of clothes with her magic and suddenly something fell out of them, and onto the floor. Rarity gasped a little What is that?



She kept the clothes in her magic as she trotted over to the fallen object and peered down at it with curiosity. As she examined it, it appeared to be golden heart-shaped locket with a long gold chain Hmm… this is a pretty little gem and it looks like it can be opened. She picked it up with her hooves and carefully opened it. Inside on the left was a picture of a blonde-haired woman holding a baby, cradled in her arms as she looked down at him lovingly. On the right side was the inscription “To my precious baby boy, Mommy loves you forever and always.”


Rarity gasped and placed a hoof against her lips. She felt tears start to prick at her eyes Oh dear, she must be the little darling’s mother.She brought the locked to her chest and closed her eyes to allow a single tear to roll down her cheek. She sniffled, but suddenly a warm smile crept across her muzzle Oh, I know exactly how I can incorporate this into Toby’s new outfit. I believe he will absolutely love it! First, I just got to get these old clothes washed and then I can start on my newest creation. She beamed with glee and exited the washroom to trot downstairs to the laundry room.


Sugarcube Corner

Pinkie was upstairs getting dressed in her pajamas as Gummy, her pet baby alligator watched from atop of a stool and blinked his big, bulging purple eyes. Pinkie fluffed her mane with a beaming smile across her muzzle “Oh Gummy Wummy, tomorrow is going to be funny, fun, fun!” She giggled as she turned and hopped toward the alligator. She scooped him up from underneath his front legs “Tomorrow I’m going to get started on making the biggest, sweetest, tastiest, bestest, and most scrumptious cake I ever made!” She twirled around excitedly while Gummy simply blinked.


After dancing around the room with her companion for a while, Pinkie let out an exaggerated yawn and suddenly plopped herself down on her bed with Gummy on her chest. She stroked the alligator with a hoof “For now, let us go to bed Gummy Wummy!” She kissed his forehead and the two fell asleep as Pinkie started to snore loudly.


Cloudsdale


Outside of her cloud home, Rainbow Dash was performing some of her tricks such as mid-air front flips, backflips, and figure eights. Her pet tortoise, Tank was hovering in the air with her with a tiredly, yet soft smile on his face. Rainbow stopped in front of him “Well Tank buddy, what did you think of those? I’m going to give Toby a show that he will never forget!” She smirked proudly and cut another backflip.


“However, these simple tricks won’t compare to my Sonic Rainboom I plan on showing the little guy!” She chuckled and continued to warm up for her performance “C’mon Tank, let’s have some fun before we go in for the night!” She smiled at her friend and he slowly nodded as he followed beside her.


Fluttershy’s Cottage

After they returned home, Fluttershy entered the cottage as quietly as she could so not to disturb Toby as he continued to sleep peacefully underneath her mane. She discovered that all of her animal friends were all soundly asleep except for Angel Bunny who came hopping in from the kitchen and saluted with a paw. She smiled warmly down at her pet bunny “Hello my precious little angel.” She petted him between his ears.


“Did you and all the others have a good day today while we were gone?” She leaned her head down to nuzzle his cheek. Angel simply chittered and nodded “That’s Mommy’s boy.” She giggled “Now you go on to bed Angel Bunny while I go tuck Toby into bed.” Angel gave another nod and saluted with a paw, and hopped out of the home.


After she watched him hop outside to his bed, Fluttershy turned around to trot upstairs to her bedroom. As she reached the top, she trotted over to her bed and turned to look at the sleeping child. She very carefully took the collar of his hoodie in her teeth and as gently as she could, she lifted him off her back. She laid him carefully on the bed and pulled the covers over him, and tucked him in comfortably.


She carefully climbed up on the bed and laid down beside him as she place a wing over him. She leaned her head down to kiss his temple “Goodnight Toby. I promise my friends and I are going to give you what you deserve, a caring family, friends, and most importantly a loving home.” She quietly whispered as she gently laid her head over his and kept him warm.


Maybe my wish the other night came true. Maybe this precious little one showed up at my door for me to take care of him. However, I just hope we can find out what truly happened to him. She sighed softly and slowly closed her eyes as she drifted off into a peaceful sleep next to Toby.

Author's Note:

Finally I am done re-writing this chapter! I want to apologize though for taking so long in getting it published. I hope you all enjoy it better than the original version.

PreviousChapters Next