• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 8,509 Views, 737 Comments

Integration - Part Two of A Changeling's Story (Cancelled) - CoAlFire



Cancelled! Please see the re-write currently in progress.

  • ...
17
 737
 8,509

Of Chivalry and Changelings

Echo came out of the haze of sleep just in time to hear Chrysalis' wings buzz furiously as the queen flew down the stairs and hid herself under the couch on which Echo was sleeping. From elsewhere, Echo could hear Sweetie Belle's voice counting down from 30. Apple Bloom came bounding down the stairs giggling, and opened a cupboard in the kitchen. She hid herself within and closed the door.

“Mother,” Echo asked through the pounding headache, “what is going on?”

“Shh. The white one is hunting me.”

“You're playing hide-and-seek with them?”

“Nonsense! This is a very serious exercise meant to train their abilities in locating enemies.”

“Well, then, you might want to pull your tail under the couch. It's a bit of a giveaway, don't you think?”

Without a word from its owner, the queen's tail zipped under the couch. Echo stood up and walked over to Twilight, who was still staring intently at the door. It seemed to be just about finished.

“Twilight,” Echo said, “are you there?”

“Mmm.” Twilight still stared at the door she was building.

“I don't understand ponies. You're weird, and you have this infectious happiness. It creeps into a changeling's mind like poison, and it twists around the way that we think. What's worse is that I don't think it's wrong. It feels right, like I should have been this way all along. It looks like it's even affecting Chrysalis!”

“Mmm.”

“Normally, if everypony in a town decided that they hated me, I'd just pick a different disguise and move on. Now, though, I actually care about what they think. I actually want them to like me.”

“Mmm.”

“That's weird, for a changeling. We're used to being hated. So why can't I get used to it again?”

“Mmm.”

“Huh,” Echo mumbled, “Chrysalis wasn't kidding. You really can't have your concentration broken, can you?”

“Mmm.”

Sweetie Belle's countdown finished, and she came bounding down the stairs. “Ready or not, here I come,” she shouted, her voice cracking on the last word. Echo watched with a melancholy smile as the little unicorn searched the library. She jumped on top of the couch and chimed, “come out, come out, wherever you are!”

Suddenly, Echo heard a muffled pounding sound from the door, followed by Rebound's voice. “Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Only you, Twilight! Open up, come on!”

“Mmm.”

“Okay, sorry Twi, but it's too dangerous out here.”

With a flurry of green sparks, Rebound's horn penetrated the inside of the door, and the door began to dissolve. Twilight snapped back to her senses in an instant.

“No!” Her face contorted with strain as she fought to keep the door together. At the same time, she whipped it open with her magic, pulling the helpless Rebound in with it.

He dangled from the door and glared at Twilight. “Gee, thanks, Twi. Care to get my horn out of this thing, please?”

“Why can't changelings go anywhere without destroying things?” Twilight lamented as she worked to free Rebound from the door. “I'm sorry if I hurt you, Rebound.”

“It's fine, Twi. I just wish that your concentration was a bit easier to break!”

Twilight giggled as she pried his horn from the corporeal magic of the door. “What kind of unicorn would I be if I lost my concentration from every little thing that got in my way?”

“The kind whose sensibilities aren't impaired every time she's casting a spell.”

“Gee, thanks, Rebound,” Twilight said, bemused.

“Any time,” he said with a wide grin as he rubbed his horn. “I brought a couple guests, too.” He motioned behind him, and Echo was suddenly made aware of the presence of a trembling yellow ball of fur on the ground outside the door.

“Oh,” Twilight said, “hello Fluttershy!”

Fluttershy lifted her head and said something softly that Echo couldn't quite hear. Just then, Fluttershy's mane jumped up, and Scootaloo's head poked through. She had her disguise on and looked just like she had before the change.

“Hey, Mom!” She said excitedly. “I hid in Fluttershy's mane.”

“So I can see! Come on in, you two.” Echo motioned inside.

“Oh, is that Scootaloo?” Sweetie Belle's voice rang out.

“Scoot-Scootaloo?” Apple Bloom's muffled voice came from the kitchen, followed by the sound of a cupboard door slamming. The little yellow filly came around the corner and barreled full-force into Scootaloo, who yelped as she was thrown from her hooves.

“Don't kill me!” Scootaloo cried, covering her face.

“Why would I -” Apple Bloom was cut off as Scootaloo's concentration broke. Her fur slowly dissolved away to reveal her black chitin. “You're a changeling? Where's Scootaloo?”

“Please don't kill me!”

“Wait a minute, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle's voice chimed as the white unicorn trotted up to the still-cowering Scootaloo. Sweetie looked the changeling over from horn to hooves. “This isn't a normal changeling. She's small, like a filly!”

“Scootaloo,” Echo cooed, “It's okay. They're better now.”

At that, Scootaloo shakily moved her foreleg away from her eyes.

“Whoa!” Apple Bloom shouted in surprise. “Those eyes are the same color as Scootaloo's.”

“Oh my gosh, I think this actually is Scootaloo, AB.” Sweetie said softly.

“Y-you mean you guys don't m-mind anymore?”

“Anymore? You say that like we'd care at all. If you're actually Scootaloo,” Sweetie said happily, “then you're a Cutie Mark Crusader, and our friend!”

“Seriously?” Scootaloo chimed excitedly. Her wings buzzed and she floated an inch or two off the ground. “Oh, yeah... I can fly now.” She beamed.

“Okay, are you sure this is Scootaloo?” Apple Bloom squinted.

Scootaloo returned to the ground and pleaded her case, “Yes, I'm Scootaloo! Look, the first time I met you two was at the Summer Sun Celebration, the same year that Twilight came to town. Nightmare Moon showed up and we were all terrified, and we huddled together. I didn't know you very well then, but that's when I met you! Remember? If I weren't Scootaloo, would I remember that?”

“How do we know you didn't use some kinda changeling magic on Scootaloo to steal her memories?”

“Girls, there is no such thing.” Echo said sternly.

“Unless you're me.” Chrysalis added, leaning her head between the fillies before zipping back under the couch.

Echo gave the queen a stern glance and chittered, “You're not helping, Mother.”

“Well, I think it's safe to say that Scoots isn't Chrysalis, since Chrysalis is right here.” Apple Bloom said, motioning to the towering black figure that stood next to her. “I know one way to find out for sure, though.” The little yellow filly took a few steps up to Scootaloo and stared her straight in the eye. The little changeling flinched, and her wings stood straight up. “Is it you, Chicken Little?”

Scootaloo's eyes widened, and her wings began to vibrate. “I, am not, a CHICKEN!” Her voice cracked on each word as she strained to be as loud as possible. She stood in a rage, huffing through gritted teeth.

“Eeyup,” Apple Bloom imitated her brother, “that's Scoot.”

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom burst into laughter as Scootaloo assured them that it wasn't funny. While the fillies argued, Echo turned to Rebound.

“How could you do this? Bringing Scootaloo here was ridiculously dangerous! You're insane!”

“Oh, I'm so TERRIBLY SORRY that I rescued your daughter from a horde of homicidal ponies. I'll just pick her up and take her right back there.”

“That's not what I meant.”

“Look, we can talk about this later, okay? The point is that I rescued her.”

Echo considered a retort, but somewhere deep down she knew that he was right. He had just risked himself to get Scootaloo away from that angry mob, which was a distinctly selfless act for a rogue changeling. She couldn't, however, bring herself to thank the brash changeling, settling instead for a small grunt as she turned back to her daughter for a hug.

“Oh, look at that,” Rebound said smugly, “you're so cute with the little ones, Echo. Why didn't you decide to have one of your own?”

“What the hell kind of a question is that?”

Rebound's eyes widened, and he took a step back. “Whoa, I didn't mean anything by it, seriously.”

As Echo was about to knock Rebound's block off his shoulders, Twilight called out triumphantly, “It's done! The door is finished!”

Echo turned to see the finished work of art, a softly glowing purple materialization of Twilight's magic, pulsating faintly. Her cutie mark had been engraved in the center of the door.

“Wow, Twilight,” Fluttershy said, “that's really impressive!”

“Thank you,” Twilight said in a very self-satisfied tone, “I thought so too.”

Just then, the sound of hoofsteps could be heard outside. Everypony rushed to the windows and watched as the mob of ponies went trudging through the streets. They passed by without incident, but their continued presence was concerning to Echo. It occurred to her in a sudden sinking moment that she didn't have a home anymore, and it was because of those ponies. They'd kill me if they got the chance, she thought to herself, or worse yet, they might kill Scootaloo, and it might come to the point where I have to kill them first.

“Hey, Twilight,” Echo started meekly, “Scoot and I are kind of out of a home right now, would you mind terribly if we stayed here in the library for a while?”

“Oh, of course not,” Twilight said, waving a hoof dismissively, “considering how CRAZY everypony is right now, it's totally reasonable that you'd not want to go home for a few nights.”

“It might take a bit longer than just a few nights, Twi. They kind of burned our house down.”

“They what?” Scootaloo's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Tears started to well up in her compound eyes as she continued, “You mean that they burned the room that Rainbow Dash decorated for me?”

“Scoot, honey, I –”

“How could they do that?” She started to shake. “How could they burn our house down?”

“I know you're upset, but –”

“It's not fair!” She started to bellow. Just like before, she started to float a short distance off of the ground. A wind whipped everything up into a storm. Twilight gasped as books were ripped from their shelves. “THEY SHOULD ALL PAY!”

“Scootaloo, calm down! They're going to hear this!”

“GOOD,” she screamed, “LET THEM COME! I WANT TO TELL THEM EXACTLY WHAT I THINK!”

“Child,” Chrysalis called, coming out from under the couch. Her face bore the expression of a concerned parent, and she walked up to the floating changeling filly, looking her dead in the eye, “calm yourself. I understand your anger, but your power is too strong to control when you're upset. You have to calm down, or you might hurt your friends, or your mother. Calm yourself.”

“No, I can't! They destroyed my home! They want to kill me!”

“Listen to me. You have to control yourself. You're my granddaughter, that means you're part of the changeling Royal Family, right? So act like it. You wouldn't want to disappoint gramma, would you?”

“I... I'm sorry!” In a sudden flash, the wind disappeared, and all the books and other debris that had been swept up fell straight to the ground. Twilight groaned and winced as the books spread themselves around on the floor. Scootaloo fell limp to the ground, crying. “I don't want to disappoint you, or Mom. I'm sorry.”

“Scootaloo, stand up. Come on,” the queen extended a hoof, “pick yourself up, show some pride.”

“Okay,” Scootaloo sniffled and grabbed Chrysalis' hoof, wiping her nose with her other foreleg.

“There you go.”

Chrysalis stood smiling down at the filly, and Scootaloo returned the smile meekly. They stood like that for a few moments before a series of knocks echoed through the door.

“I made knocking work.” Twilight beamed.

“Come on out, we know you're in there!” Somepony from the mob shouted. “We heard the commotion, and there's no way that was you, Twilight. That sounded like the little changeling freak to us!”

In an instant, Chrysalis, Rebound, and Echo all changed into their disguises. Scootaloo squinted as she tried to change, but only managed to spit a small ring of fire from her horn.

“Come on, Scoot,” Echo said quietly, “you can do it!”

“If you don't open this door in five seconds, we're coming in!”

“I can't do it, Mom!” Scoot cried

“Keep trying!” Echo encouraged.

“Three!” The mob shouted.

“I can't!”

“You have to!”

“Two!”

“I'm sorry!”

“It's okay!” Echo moved and stood in front of Scootaloo, dropping her own disguise.

“One!”

“What are you doing, Echo?” Rebound asked.

“Protecting my daughter!”

Boom. The door crashed inward, and a flood of angry ponies rushed in. One of them made eye contact with Echo. “There's one! Get her!”

What ensued was a quick, bloody fight. Echo's military training allowed her to protect her daughter with frightening proficiency, and her maternal instincts made her a force to be reckoned with. The others stood by the side of the room in shock as Echo twisted around delivering perfectly timed and placed blows to the faces, knees, bellies, and occasionally the unmentionables of ponies that tried to get too close to Scootaloo. Echo didn't expect any help from Chyrsalis or Rebound. Chrysalis was barred from using her combat magic, and wasn't terribly skilled in hoof-to-hoof combat because of her lanky stature. Rebound was an impudent little shit, and probably wouldn't lift a hoof to help Echo if her life depended on it.

Funny thing, Echo thought as she delivered a buck to somepony's chin, it actually might.

Echo had probably incapacitated ten ponies before she was overwhelmed by a group of three who attacked her and Scootaloo at the same time. Two of them stood on Echo's limbs, immobilizing her. She struggled, but couldn't beat the brute force of two Earth pony stallions. She spat profanities at them, and they just stared down at her and laughed.

A unicorn had found Scootaloo, and now lifted the trembling changeling filly in a soft blue aura of magic.

“Look what we've got here,” the mare said with a sneer, “ how do you think she'd like it if I stabbed her with my horn?”

“No! I'll murder you!” Echo screamed.

“Colgate, what are you doing?” Twilight cried.

“I'm ending this thing's suffering.” Colgate said coldly as she angled her head for a charge.

In a quick flash, Rebound – still disguised – bucked Colgate in the side of the head and caught Scootaloo on his back. “I don't think so,” he said as he turned to face the two ponies who were restraining Echo. “Let the lady go, assholes.”

“That's not going to happen,” Filthy Rich's voice came from the crowd, and he stepped forward to stand next to Echo. “You see, this thing is a disgrace to our town. It lives among us, it eats our food, and it even corrupted that poor child.”

“Ah, Filthy Rich, I presume?” Rebound said, taking a few steps forward. “You're the ringleader of this mob, aren't you? I've heard a great deal about you in the past few days.”

“Yes, I am Ponyville's protector. An advocate for the return to a pure, pony society. Just who do you think you are?”

Rebound took a few more steps, stopping just about a head's length from Filthy. “I think you know me as Puzzle Piece. At any rate, I've got something to give you.” Rebound craned his head backward, reaching out as though he were going to grab Scootaloo.

“You son of a bitch!” Echo screamed. Filthy laughed contentedly as he watched Rebound reach for the filly.

Green fire erupted from the ground at Rebound's feet, and he changed back to his true form instantaneously. He whipped his head forward and dragged the sharp point of his horn across Filthy's face. The stallion screamed in pain as he backpedaled. Rebound's horn glowed with a green fire, and his voice boomed forward with an intensity that Echo had never heard before. “Let that be a lesson to you. Don't treat mares and foals like this, or some gentlecolt will put you in your place. I will absolutely fight to protect these two.”

“You're forgetting,” Colgate said, coming back to her senses, “There's only one of you, and a whole lot of us.”

“You're right. Let's fix that.” Rebound's horn flared for a moment, and five pillars of flame erupted from the ground in a crescent formation around him. When they cleared, there were five identical copies of Rebound standing in the center of the room. “Let's see how well you all can do against six of me.”

Author's Note:

Hey you guys! I realize this one is a bit late, I'm sorry about that.

It might also be a little choppier than the other chapters. I hit a little writer's block halfway through writing this one, and I decided that rather than spend the next month trying to find a smooth transition, I should just power through the block. I have an idea of where I want this story to go, so it should smooth out over the next chapter or two, and I can start to get into some really interesting character interaction.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, even though it's far from my best work.

CoAlFire