• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 8,509 Views, 737 Comments

Integration - Part Two of A Changeling's Story (Cancelled) - CoAlFire



Cancelled! Please see the re-write currently in progress.

  • ...
17
 737
 8,509

An Enemy Revealed

Luna's sky was a dark purple sea, speckled with thousands of fireflies, twinkling away as the called to each other in some language known only to themselves. A few clouds drifted lazily through the air, bringing with them a sense of tranquility; the hustle and bustle of the world below was inconsequential to a cloud. Unfortunately, that tranquility was shattered as a pair of chitinous wings sliced through the cloud, dispersing it into a pale blue mist.

The air was filled with a foreboding buzz as the changeling flew toward his goal off in the distance. The pearly white city clung to the edge of a mountain - the object of a failed invasion - the city that crushed an empire. This time, though, his goal was different. It was not the city, but two of its inhabitants.

Sparkle was definitely a useful tool. The first thing she did was tell me exactly what I needed to know! He mused as he flew along, doing a few rolls to either side here or there. As he approached the castle, he faced a decision. The Sisters would undoubtedly have Scootaloo and the former queen in either the Solar or Lunar wings. Now, which to choose...

Eventually he decided that his best choice was to check the Solar wing first, since its princess would more than likely be sleeping. He clung to the gold dome atop the eastern tower before swinging down to the facade. He began to methodically check windows. His ears swung like radar dishes, listening for any sound that might give away their location.

"I swear," he heard a guard say, "she kissed me! Celestia kissed me."

"I don't buy it," another said. The changeling moved on to the next window.

"I'm telling you, Grandma, the look on that guard's face when he thought Celestia had kissed him was priceless!" Scootaloo's voice rang out with jubilance. That was his cue.


Inside the room, Chrysalis looked at her granddaughter with slightly apparent but quite abundant pride. She opened her mouth to say something when one of her ears twitched toward the window. She had barely enough time to react. She dodged out of the way in a blur as a green bolt of magic whizzed through where she had just been standing. "Scootaloo," she shouted, "hide, NOW!"

She charged a pulse to her horn and readied herself to end somepony's life, when a small chitinous form buzzed in, clinging to the wall opposite her. His wings buzzed angrily.

"You've had it!" He chittered.

She stared at him unflinchingly and chittered right back, "I think you overestimate your position."

"Funny, I was about to say the same thing," he dropped to the ground and began to strut over to her. He was a good head shorter than a fully grown changeling should be. "Do you remember me, your highness?" he spat out, voice dripping with hate.

"Can't say I do." She lifted him and pushed him against the wall with as much force as she could muster. He stood quickly, brushing it off.

"My name is Mirror. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He lunged forward with his horn, and Chrysalis pushed him aside with a hoof."

"Excuse me?"

"My name is Mirror. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He lunged again, and Chrysalis repeated her earlier action.

"I could swear I've heard that before. Was it in a play?" She deflected another blow. "At any rate, who was your father? I've killed many changelings over the years, to be honest."

"A general in your armies. Cluster."

"Oh." Another deflection. "Him. Well what did you expect?" She performed a riposte, stabbing with her jagged horn. Mirror leaped into the air with a buzz of his wings and landed behind her. She whipped around. "He did try to kill my daughter and granddaughter."

"You had him captured, defenseless!" Another stab, this time nicking the queen's lower right foreleg, eliciting a slight hiss of surprise and pain from the queen. "You didn't have to kill him!"

"Would you have done differently if your child were being threatened?"

"I would have stayed true to the changeling ways and not gotten involved to begin with!"

Chrysalis stopped, glaring at the small, rage-consumed changeling colt. "I've made a few mistakes, sure. I'm not above admitting that." In a flash, her horn reignited and pinned him to a wall. She held her horn to his throat. "What do you hope to accomplish, though?"

"I want them to know the pain I've endured!" He all but sobbed. "I want them to feel the loss I feel."

"Well, allow me to end your suffering." She angled her horn and prepared to strike.

"Grandma, no!" Scootaloo's voice called out from under the bed where she had been hiding. She galloped out to stand in front of Chrysalis. "Killing more changelings isn't the answer."

"Child, you don't know what you're ta-"

"Look at what it's done to him. If you could just --"

There was an explosion of force from the young changeling, sending both the queen and her granddaughter flying. He floated over on his wings, charging another spell to his horn. "Now, Chrysalis, you're going to know what it's like to lose someone you care about."

Just as he was ready to strike, the door to their chamber burst open, flooding the room with blinding white light. The heat coming from the door was nearly unbearable. The small changeling shielded his eyes before flying out of the window in fear, and the light began to die down. As it subsided, Celestia stood in the doorway. Her eyes, normally gentle and soft, were alight with the fires of anger. She looked at the two changelings left in the room. She levitated a scroll behind her.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes," Chrysalis said with a bit of a strain in her voice, "fine. Thank you."

"I think we have a problem." The solar princess said plainly.

Author's Note:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have returned. Mostly.

I know, I know, I deserve to be drawn and quartered for the abominable wait you have endured. Moreover, this chapter is rushed and probably doesn't read as well as I hoped it would, but the story must move on...

Very sorry for the wait. I missed you.

CoAlFire